Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Ardent

Guys, have to share this. Saw the Andrea Pirlo book on the shelf and decided to have a quick read tonight. Had to laugh at this:
    I thought about quitting because, after Istanbul, nothing made sense any more. The 2005 Champions League final simply suffocated me. To most people’s minds, the reason we lost on penalties was Jerzy Dudek – that jackass of a dancer who took the mickey out of us by swaying about on his line and then rubbed salt into the wound by saving our spot kicks. But in time the truly painful sentence was realising that we were entirely to blame.

How it happened I don’t know, but the fact remains that when the impossible becomes reality, somebody’s ****ed up – in this case, the entire team. A mass suicide where we all joined hands and jumped off the Bosphorus Bridge. The famous strait proved narrow in the extreme. So narrow, in fact, that if the whole Istanbul experience was a suppository, it could find no escape once inside us. Every now and then, I feel it move, letting me know it’s still there, asserting its presence. It calls me by name and it’s a pain in the arse in the truest sense of the term.

When that torture of a game was finished, we sat like a bunch of half-wits in the dressing room there at the Atatürk Stadium. We were bloodthirsty zombies faced with an unforeseen problem – the blood was ours and they’d drunk every last drop. We couldn’t speak. We couldn’t move. They’d mentally destroyed us. The damage was already evident even in those early moments, and it only got more stark and serious as the hours went on. Insomnia, rage, depression, a sense of nothingness. We’d invented a new disease with multiple symptoms: Istanbul syndrome.

I no longer felt like a player, and that was devastating enough. But even worse, I no longer felt like a man. All of a sudden, football had become the least important thing, precisely because it was the most important: a very painful contradiction.

I didn’t dare look in the mirror in case my reflection spat back at me. The only possible solution I could think of was to retire. And what a dishonourable retirement it would have been. My last performance had been so comically pathetic they wouldn’t even have taken me on Zelig.

I glimpsed the end of the line: the journey was over. The story was finished and so was I. I walked with my head bowed even in the places I hold most dear. It wasn’t to avoid sympathetic glances, just that when you don’t know where you’re going, looking ahead makes you tired and worried.

People talk about performance anxiety. Well, ‘non-performance’ anxiety is the perfect description for those of us who simply vanished from the pitch sometime during that final. The match in Istanbul was on May 25 and the Italian championship had yet to finish. We had to go back to Milanello to carry our cross for four more days, right up until Sunday, May 29, when we played our last Serie A match against Udinese. That parade of shame was the toughest punishment. A cavalcade of disgrace with us placed front and centre.

It was a brief, intense, ****ty period. You couldn’t escape or pull the plug on a world that had turned upside down, and you were forever surrounded by the other guilty parties in this theft of our own dignity. We always ended up talking about it. We asked each other questions, but nobody had any answers. We were a group of Gigi Marzullos33 called to a collective psychoanalysis session with one fairly sizeable flaw: there wasn’t any doctor, just a bunch of madmen. One thought he was Shevchenko, another Crespo, another Gattuso, Seedorf, Nesta, Kaká… I thought I was Pirlo. A gathering of impostors, too many to get away with it.

I could hardly sleep and even when I did drop off, I awoke to a grim thought: I’m disgusting. I can’t play any more. I went to bed with Dudek and all his Liverpool team-mates. The game against Udinese ended 0-0, goals a perfect stranger. A nightmare is a nightmare because you know it’ll start when you close your eyes but won’t stop when you reopen them, and so the torment went on.

We Milan players still had Italy commitments to (dis)honour, and it took Lippi only a few seconds to see precisely how things stood. “My boys, my boys, you’re in bits.” Congratulations on your intuition, Marcello. A blind man would have noticed – our devastation was legible even in braille. “Thanks for coming anyway,” he said.
    None of us could think straight. I greeted the staff at the training centre as if it was the last time I’d see them. In my head, that was the last time. Going off and doing something else with my life had to be better than feeling like this.

Painfully slowly, things started to improve during the holidays, even if the wounds didn’t heal completely. The first day, I wanted to throw myself into a swimming pool with no water. The second day, there’d have been water, but I still wouldn’t have wanted to re-emerge. The third day, I wanted to drown in the kids’ pool. On the fourth, I’d have preferred to suffocate giving mouth to mouth to a rubber duck. I was getting better, but pretty much imperceptibly.

I’ll never fully shake that sense of absolute impotence when destiny is at work. The feeling will cling to my feet forever, trying to pull me down. Even now if I mess up a pass, that malign force could be to blame. For that reason, I steer well clear of the DVD from the Liverpool game. It’s an enemy that I can’t allow to wound me a second time. It’s already done enough damage: most of it hidden far from the surface.

I’ll never watch that match again. I’ve already played it once in person and many other times in my head, searching for an explanation that perhaps doesn’t even exist. Praying for a different ending, like with those films you watch a second time hoping that you misunderstood the final scene. Surely the good guy can’t die like that?

We rose again two years later, 2007, when we beat the self-same Liverpool in another Champions League final. We won in Athens thanks to an Inzaghi double – one of the goals was a free-kick from me that hit off him and went in.

The intensity of our joy was nothing compared to the deafening sound of our weaponry crashing to the ground a couple of years earlier. They say that revenge is a dish best served cold. Well, there was still a little warmth left in the corpse at that stage and, as such, we celebrated but didn’t forget. We wanted to, but couldn’t. The stain remained.

There are always lessons to be found in the darkest moments. It’s a moral obligation to dig deep and find that little glimmer of hope or pearl of wisdom. You might hit upon an elegant phrase that stays with you and makes the journey that little less bitter. I’ve tried with Istanbul and haven’t managed to get beyond these words: for f*ck’s sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

One of the best autobiographies out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So, that's 10 in 10 for Cavani now this season already. Really can't understand anyone who would turn their nose up at him. Yes, he misses chances at times, but his positioning is incredible enough that he earns himself more chances than anyone. Scores every type of goal. And even taking into account misses, he still scores ridiculous numbers of goals consistently. All this, while also working his balls off for the team.

He especially just tears apart poor teams, exactly what we need.
    Cavani averages 5-6 shots per goal scored.

At present, Firmino requires 7 shots to score a goal. As bad as that sounds it's better than last season when averaged 10 shots per goal.

Sturridge averaged 5 shots per goal in 2013/14. Since the start of last season this has drifted to 13/14 shots per goal.

The two forwards the media have linked us with are impressive:
    Timo Werner averages 4 shots per goal this season.
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang averages 3 shots per goal this season.

Both would offer a massive improvement on what we have at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Had to do a double take, thought it was Phil.. then Gary Cahill ..tired eyes perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The black painter

While he would have been a better option in goal, Sakho is gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Rekop dog wrote: »

The rest of the book must be great because that excerpt above is overwrought self-indulgent bull****. Maybe it sounded better in Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Ardent

Rekop dog wrote: »

For sure. It's quite unique for a footballing autobiography in terms of prose, style and humour. A fantastic read.

Brendy had a nice win last night against Anderlecht, who are ranked 59th in World Ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    Brendy had a nice win last night against Anderlecht, who are ranked 59th in World Ranking.

And we couldn't beat a team ranked 95th in Europe :(

Well, I'm sure we'll go further than Celtic in the CL :)
    Anderlecht in bits at the moment too.

• Advertisement

UEFA stats from Tues........

Mohamed Salah was successful with 65% of passes
    Sadio Mané with 68%
    Roberto Firmino 69%
    Philippe Coutinho — a 76%

Apparently Salah passed to Firmino just once, did not pass to Coutinho and found Mané twice.

If the pass completions were higher presumably the chances would have been lower but better quality maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Sadio Mané with 68%
    Roberto Firmino 69%

Apparently Salah passed to Firmino just once, did not pass to Coutinho and found Mané twice.

If the pass completions were higher presumably the chances would have been lower but better quality maybe?

"LIVERPOOL'S FAB FOUR ON SONG!"

"MORE LIKE DRAB FOUR"

Insert your own tabloid puns here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We miss Coutinho in front three, we saw how devastating he can be when he got beyond Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There seems to be stories today that Keita is acting the maggot to force a move through in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

There seems to be stories today that Keita is acting the maggot to force a move through in January.

Well they're not having a great time in the CL either atm.

Ancelotti sacked/left/mutual agreement gone from Munich.

Klopp will surely be their top target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Can't see Klopp abandoning ship.

Tuchel is the favourite id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd prefer if he just honoured the agreement and gave 100% until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, I'm sure we'll go further than Celtic in the CL :)
    Anderlecht in bits at the moment too.
    Only because we got an easier group - if we'd been drawn with PSG and Bayern, we'd be screwed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sadio Mané with 68%
    Roberto Firmino 69%

I don't really think the chances we got were weak. Apart from the goal we had the 4v2, Firmino's header, Sturridge's volley, Sturridge's air shot, and Salah's header which were all very good chances that were poorly finished/well saved.

As odd as it sounds, the system worked well, we limited Spartak to a free kick and potshot from the wing and created plenty of great opportunities for ourselves, it was our finishing and goalkeeping that let us down, if one of those 2 factors had been slightly better we'd have the 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Indeed, should he get injured than at least we tried :)
    Carragher said it last season, if Sturridge is fit you play him and let others do the running etc.

All of the players swarming about is now looking like unorganised, unproductive chaos tbh, 5 on 2 last night at one stage and they all clueless, look at the break at the weekend, Sturridge and Hendo & job was done.

Unless I'm mistaken it was Trent who had the ball for that 5 on 2 the other night and he not only picked the wrong pass but held onto the ball too long. He should have gone left to Salah sooner rather than hold onto the ball as long as he did and pass right to Hendo. You could even see Mane pointing for Salah to get the ball. Anyway Trent is young and inexperienced, so no huge surprise he picked the wrong pass. To say they were all clueless is just wrong tho imo.

Willy Sagnol (who was Ancelotti's assistant) is taking charge for the weekend and, beyond that, it's apparently between Tuchel and Julian Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim).

Don't see Bayern targeting Klopp right now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Naglesmann is apparently almost a sure thing to be there next season. They might just go with a caretaker for the rest of the season.

I don't really think the chances we got were weak. Apart from the goal we had the 4v2, Firmino's header, Sturridge's volley, Sturridge's air shot, and Salah's header which were all very good chances that were poorly finished/well saved. ..................

So we only had 6 chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So we only had 6 chances?

Alex-Arnold had one wide, Coutinho's goal were two others.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I doubt it.

I think they will try and bring in Joachim Loew after the World Cup and the German Job being offered to Klopp

They will get someone short term for this season

............ I meant the number of "chances" we had were far, far greater than 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

............ I meant the number of "chances" we had were far, far greater than 6.

I don't know why you've picked that out as if it's what I said.

You suggested that playing less risky passes may lead to less chances but chances of a higher quality, I said that high quality chances weren't a problem for us on Tuesday, and then went on to list the ones I could remember.

In no way did I try to argue that Liverpool only created 6 chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A thought struck me - maybe starting all four is actually over-egging the pudding. Instead of having a focal point there was no focus at all. This is where a striker is needed of course or failing that someone to be the "striker" the No 9 and to stay in position for the game which would imply a 3-1 attacking formation rather than Coutinho + three

• Advertisement

Sadio Mané with 68%
    Roberto Firmino 69%

I don't really think the chances we got were weak. Apart from the goal we had the 4v2, Firmino's header, Sturridge's volley, Sturridge's air shot, and Salah's header which were all very good chances that were poorly finished/well saved.

As odd as it sounds, the system worked well, we limited Spartak to a free kick and potshot from the wing and created plenty of great opportunities for ourselves, it was our finishing and goalkeeping that let us down, if one of those 2 factors had been slightly better we'd have the 3 points.
    I don't know why you've picked that out as if it's what I said.

You suggested that playing less risky passes may lead to less chances but chances of a higher quality, I said that high quality chances weren't a problem for us on Tuesday, and then went on to list the ones I could remember.

In no way did I try to argue that Liverpool only created 6 chances.

Essentially, my point was we could be getting more than 6 very good chances if the lads got the pass completion rate amongst themselves to a higher level.
    As well as the ones you list there were a load of less than halfchances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Wow. I thought he would do better at Munich than this.

Allan playing for Limassol as they go 1 up away to Everton game on BT 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Allan playing for Limassol as they go 1 up away to Everton game on BT 2.
    Toffees taking Brexit very seriously:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Is there a strike on in here or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Doesn't really feel like a lot to talk about, does there? I think we're all a bit jaded talking about goalkeepers, poor defending, opposition chance conversion, etc.

I can't even think of some off kilter nonsensical bollocks to get a side conversation going.

• Advertisement

Suspiciously quiet...

How would everyone line up against Newcastle? We know how good Rafa is at organising defences so might need something special.

For me, this should be an opportunity for Sturridge to start. Great record against Newcastle in the past too.

I'd go with...

Mignolet
    Gomez - Matip - Lovren - Robertson
    Can - Henderson - Coutinho
    Mané - Sturridge - Salah

I'd love to see Gini on the scoresheet too. Since he's arrived in England, he's never scored a goal away from home, meaning that all his goals either came at St James' or Anfield. I'd love his first away goal to be at St James' so it technically wouldn't break his streak...

We'll have the Virgil joining in January speel starting up soon, be grand :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Suspiciously quiet...

How would everyone line up against Newcastle? We know how good Rafa is at organising defences so might need something special.

For me, this should be an opportunity for Sturridge to start. Great record against Newcastle in the past too.

I'd go with...

Mignolet
    Gomez - Matip - Lovren - Robertson
    Can - Henderson - Coutinho
    Man Sturridge - Salah

I'd love to see Gini on the scoresheet too. Since he's arrived in England, he's never scored a goal away from home, meaning that all his goals either came at St James' or Anfield. I'd love his first away goal to be at St James' so it technically wouldn't break his streak...

Milner to start ahead of Can, and Firmino will start. Other than that I agree with the team. Both full backs and goalies will be changed.

I'd potentially drop Can. He looks like he could do with a rest. Put Gini in from the start.

Lallana can't get back soon enough, tbh. Will be nice to have the extra options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Long time reader first time poster :pac:

I actually applied to post when someone posted this video a few weeks back...

Great compilation, but how in the FOOOOOK did they leave the Uefa Cup Semi Final 2nd leg v Barcelona out?!?! madness, absolute madness.

Anyway, I felt I had to right that wrong :P

Still my favourite night at Anfield. Absolutely epic crowd and wonderful result. Huge in the context of the club and the long gap from the previous European final, 16 years.

Skip to 1:56:34 in the above video to hear Gary Mc sum it up beautifully :pac: "jeeeesus chriiiiiist"

• Advertisement

Not purely Liverpool related but John Henry has made a statement on behalf of the Red Sox regarding the take the knee stuff going on in America

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/913454254463086592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Long time reader first time poster :pac:

I actually applied to post when someone posted this video a few weeks back...

Great compilation, but how in the FOOOOOK did they leave the Uefa Cup Semi Final 2nd leg v Barcelona out?!?! madness, absolute madness.

Anyway, I felt I had to right that wrong :P

Still my favourite night at Anfield. Absolutely epic crowd and wonderful result. Huge in the context of the club and the long gap from the previous European final, 16 years.

Skip to 1:56:34 in the above video to hear Gary Mc sum it up beautifully :pac: "jeeeesus chriiiiiist"

Watching the older videos the camera angles were much better. I still don't like the new camera positions at anfield :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I guess there's only so many times we can talk or give out about the same thing,this season is like Deja vu tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I guess there's only so many times we can talk or give out about the same thing,this season is like Deja vu tbh

Yawns wrote: »

Every time Lovren costs us a goal it should be referred to as Dejan vu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd potentially drop Can. He looks like he could do with a rest. Put Gini in from the start.

Lallana can't get back soon enough, tbh. Will be nice to have the extra options.

It's as much a kick in the Swiss he needs as a rest, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knees?

Knees?

Alex Ferguson said that Jordan Henderson ran from which body part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Knees?

They acting up on you again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

brevity wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson said that Jordan Henderson ran from which body part?
    I'll give you a clue....you live there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement