Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Arsenal have played extremely well since they duped us into buying OX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This season is over. And Klopp is to blame.

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvbDQxbTJ1Uk9qMkhrdjhmc2MvZ2lwaHkuZ2lm.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Any chance klopp has lost the dressing room,cos something is very wrong

Ah now, calm it down a wee bit.

Can has been the worst of them all this season. Which is why he's pretty much been dropped recently.

Splitting hairs.... dropped/rotated.... wij was dropped/rotated prior to Can.... wij starts today and does nothing of note except hitting the post iirc
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Rafa you sly old dog.

Indeed, before today they'd conceded just 5 pl goals. Not bad.
    not yet wrote: »
    Arsenal have played extremely well since they duped us into buying OX.

Yeah... close to £40m for an arsenal sub with a year left on his contract is looking like a bad deal when he also goes onto our bench. Still, hopefully he does OK at least over the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You really believe a point less on the table makes any difference to this team..

Surely you know how the table works yes? To put it simply; teams are ranked in order of points accrued, if we have one point less then the likelihood of finishing in a lower position than we'd like is higher. That's why these points are important, you follow?

Didn't think I'd have to explain why a draw is better than a loss when I woke up this morning. I just can't comprehend your point of view on this at all unless you're on the wind-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

But the love in with Klopp was over reactionary too.

This season is over. And Klopp is to blame.

#reactionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We drew 3 games we won 3 times on paper, of course they ended with both sides have same score. There is a fine line between a win and a draw in Premier League. We are having a bit of bad luck in that we can create 30 chances and can't take one, while conceding one chance and getting punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Really poor stuff today. The front 3 in particular were bad. Some of the other draws you could put down to one of those days but today wasn't one of them . As bad as the front 3 were playing it was a mistake to take all 3 off as we needed a goal and the likes of mane/salah are far more likely to get one than ox/solanke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very dissapointing result, but not surprising. I didnt have much faith going into this game, which says a lot. Our problems are glaringly obvious and are recurring. On the flipside we can be devastating in attack on our day. Again, obvious. I'm still just massively annoyed and dissapointed we didnt sign a damn cb.

I was surprised how open the first half was, and we created a fair amount of chances, but again failed to take them. Yes, it's good to use our pace but sometimes we try and do evertything too ast and the players just trip all over each other and get in each others way. They have to show more composure and be more clinical.

The second half was more what I was expecting for the first. I had envisaged Benitez really shutting us down, slowing the game, and then look to get us in corners and set pieces. Almost worked. Really disapointing to see how handy it was to nullify us. We were dreadful in that second half. No.ideas, very pedestrian.

CB's exposed again. Why are they always playing a massively high line, almost at the goddamned halfway line, despite the fact that neither have any pace and Lovren has as much coordination as a drunk. That's poor tactics, bad management. Moreno played ok, has actually been one of the most consistent performers this season. I wonder could Gomez make a passable CB as he is not a good fit at RWB. Anyone but Lovren.

Midfield failed to exert control. Henderson worked very hard and got around but was not near incisive enough. Wijnaldum was simply not present at all. Coutinho will feel justified in his desire to leave with the team playing so poorly around him and his goals/ wonder moments keeping us barely ticking. He doesnt look particularly pleased after scoring either.

Was dissapointed in Sturridge today as it was a good chance for him to get his critics of his back and lay some claim for a starting place. Played poorly. Solanke really impressed again on his introduction, looks strong on the ball and plays positive. I half wonder should we drop one of the 3 from midfield and go with Firmino + Solanke vs Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We drew 3 games we won 3 times on paper, of course they ended with both sides have same score. There is a fine line between a win and a draw in Premier League. We are having a bit of bad luck in that we can create 30 chances and can't take one, while conceding one chance and getting punished.

It's laughable that anyone can think this recent run is bad luck,missing the same chances and making the same defensive mistakes game after game is not bad luck

______ __ Mignolet __ _______

Trent_Matip_Gomez_Robertson

___ ___ __ Can __ ____ _____

Salah ____ _____ ___ Mane
    ___ ___ _Coutinho_ ___ ____

____Firmino _ Solanke_____

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

**** the EFL Cup. We didn't want that silverwear anyway.

Perhaps this is more to your liking?

I150127_164218_1879516oTextCS_39300233.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ______ __ Mignolet __ _______

Trent_Matip_Gomez_Robertson

___ ___ __ Can __ ____ _____

Salah ____ _____ ___ Mane
    ___ ___ _Coutinho_ ___ ____

____Firmino _ Solanke_____

That's even madder than Toby's worst formation!

There has to be at least some semblance of a midfield as bad as it is. A wide 4-1-2-1-2 is the work of a madman!

The best I can come up with without Lallana would be

Mignolet
    Trent-Matip-Gomez-Robertson
    Milner (only cos everything else has been tried here!)
    ----Hendo--Coutinho
    Firmino
    ----Salah---Mane

It's laughable that anyone can think this recent run is bad luck,missing the same chances and making the same defensive mistakes game after game is not bad luck

That Newcastle goal today was going in to matter what. Even when Matip cleared it and it rebounded. It was always going to be a goal.
    It's hard to stomach at times. Feels unlucky to me.

That's even madder than Toby's worst formation!

There has to be at least some semblance of a midfield as bad as it is. A wide 4-1-2-1-2 is the work of a madman!

I see it as a Diamond midfield 442.

Crucially, I would avoid playing such a high line, especially as we don't have the players for it. The Joselu goal today really exposed that fault, but we've seen it regularly. Can can act as a pivot and keep some rhythm in our play whole protecting the defence some. I wouldnt encourage the fullbacks to get quite so forward constantly or - at least when they do - to have Salah or Mane to cover their spot, instead of everyone abandoning the fort on every attack.

Salah and Mane can set their starting positions (or position when we dont have the ball) to more LMF/RMF then staying up in LWF/RWF. They have the pace to attack and support quickly when needed but could also provide a bit more solidity to us in the centre of the pitch. Both are more than capable of winning possesion.

Firmino and Solanke can do a job further up harassing and looking to make runs in behind once possesion is won, with Salah/ Mane can dart up to join attacks and cause some panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lallana is a big miss. Key to our pressing which has been abandoned.

Sturridge is done not up too it physically at all as he has shown since Klopp came in. Werner will be out of reach for us next summer too.
    Mane is a bit off form,Salah looks tired & our options going forward outside our first 11 is not that strong. Loaning Origi may have been a mistake despite his poor form.

Matip has been awful this season. Lovren not good enough. Moreno has been our best defender this season which says it all.

Seems to me that Klopp is actually trying to implement a similar philosophy to Guardiola in that you want to play the entire match in the opposition half. Part of that is having the defensive line push right up, to exert maximum pressure.

The gegenpressing aspect seems to be basically what Barcelona did in that when they lost the ball, everyone pushed the ball to try and win it back immediately. I believe they had a '7 second rule' or something to that effect: press like mad for 7 seconds, and if possesion is not won back, take a more defensive position.

I think we should play a deeper defence and look to counter attack more. Not to neglect the pressing aspect totally, mind.

Btw we don't need one CB in Jan we need two,matip is on a par with lovren tbh, 2 very ordinary CBS and that's being nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The recurring nature of our obvious failings is very worrying. What is being worked on in training?

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    The recurring nature of our obvious failings is very worrying. What is being worked on in training?

I can only imagine that Lovren/ Matip/ Klavan arr regularly embarassed by Salah/ Mane/ Coutinho? Then they go into a match and push right up. No wonder Lovren isnt training amd takes 5 tablets before a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

re Lovren I'm just astonished that he is playing at all if he is drugged up with pills to keep pain at bay. Can't be doing him any good.

(And no Lloyd I not think players should 'Man Up' and ruin their health for the game just cos that's what used to be the standard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:(

394Qm3p.gif

re Lovren I'm just astonished that he is playing at all if he is drugged up with pills to keep pain at bay. Can't be doing him any good.

(And no Lloyd I not think players should 'Man Up' and ruin their health for the game just cos that's what used to be the standard).

I'm astonished klopp is allowing him play when he's not up to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Déjà vu all over again, what ever about our poor defending our much vaunted attack simply couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, Coutinho aside. You can't really blame him for wanting to leave, he won't win anything of note at Anfield.

68747470733a2f2f6d656469612e67697068792e636f6d2f6d656469612f726265623146626f79634d4b732f67697068792e676966

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Klopp losing the tag with reporters after the match.

Something horrible is happening here folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »
    Klopp losing the tag with reporters after the match.

I saw the conference and he was fine.

He was tetchy with one journo at worst, which is understandable after the performance but then had some craic with him later.

Nothing to read into it at all.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Surely you know how the table works yes? To put it simply; teams are ranked in order of points accrued, if we have one point less then the likelihood of finishing in a lower position than we'd like is higher. That's why these points are important, you follow?

Didn't think I'd have to explain why a draw is better than a loss when I woke up this morning. I just can't comprehend your point of view on this at all unless you're on the wind-up.

Thanks for explaining how the table works..

My point is (although I don't no why I'm bothering) Is that a point is irrelevant to this team. Unless they can win games like this they will end up mid-table, so getting a point away to NFC is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

:(

394Qm3p.gif

What'd I miss? Someone ban hammered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Thanks for explaining how the table works..

My point is (although I don't no why I'm bothering) Is that a point is irrelevant to this team. Unless they can win games like this they will end up mid-table, so getting a point away to NFC is useless.

A point is useless? A point decided 4th last season......Its not impressive but every point counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Most of us were calling for sturridge to be given a run out due to our finishing problem, but he was absymal yesterday. Really disappointing. The first goal actually comes from him not being able to control a simple five yard pass. He was at that all game. Felt he should have come off around the 55min mark as it was clear he wasnt getting any joy. Solanke did more in the few minutes he was on than danny did all game.

Wijnaldum has been pretty poor this season as well, which isnt great to see as he was such an instrumental figure in our run in last year...you'd expect/want him to go on and improve even further..if anything he's retreated into his shell. Back two we're shocking for the goal, matip in particular. And moreno...jaysus...still braindead. Giving away soft free kicks when in no danger and his final ball once again letting him down. Still cant believe he's our first choice left back. He should have been jettisoned after the final against Sevilla. All in all its not the best start to a season but its certainly not the worst either....we're still actually playing well and creating a shed load of chances. Saw it mentioned this morning by Danny Murphy and have to agree with him on this one, our passing at the back was waaaaay too slow. Lovren and matip slowed the game down so much - the tempo was all wrong. They came out early for the second half then treaded water for most of it!!

Sooner or later all the chips will fall in place and we'll batter some team...anyone know who we got next in the league??? :p:p

NukaCola wrote: »
    A point is useless? A point decided 4th last season......Its not impressive but every point counts.

The difference being it might get 8th this year instead of 9th.

That's the reality here, 1 win in 7 speaks volumes. I'm a Liverpool supporter all my life and it hard to say this but that team are mid-table finishers at the moment.

How long more will Kloop give the benefit of the doubt to Sturridge, Henderson, Lovern, Look at Spurs !! They bring in a young CB from the under 21s and he looks like he's been there all his life. Time to look at the u23s Because 1/3 of this team should not be wearing that Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That's the reality here, 1 win in 7 speaks volumes. I'm a Liverpool supporter all my life and it hard to say this but that team are mid-table finishers at the moment.

How long more will Kloop give the benefit of the doubt to Sturridge, Henderson, Lovern, Look at Spurs !! They bring in a young CB from the under 21s and he looks like he's been there all his life. Time to look at the u23s Because 1/3 of this team should not be wearing that Jersey.

Who's that?

People need to calm down, this time last season Chelsea were in 7th place and on 13 points.

There's a lot of football to be played this season.

The personnel and points issue are two separate things though. Points are important, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone really say they aren't.

As for the personnel we need to improve on players absolutely. Klopp and LFC didn't do enough in the summer and that is basically coming back to hurt us now. No-one is surprised and thats a worry, because we all see it and the club done nothing about it.

Still, its the squad that got top four last season. I choose to believe that we are going through a tough spot and we'll improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

murpho999 wrote: »
    People need to calm down, this time last season Chelsea were in 7th place and on 13 points.

There's a lot of football to be played this season.

But Chelsea had a world class squad

keeper
    defence
    and a coach who can set a team up to defend.

I'm lost with comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lets not over react we are two points off 3rd , Its early days United and City have just had amazing starts so makes everything seem worse, Someone will get a hiding off us soon ,.
    We where never going to win the league this year to begin with ,
    Never look at the table till 10 games is gone ,

Lets not over react we are two points off 3rd , Its early days United and City have just had amazing starts so makes everything seem worse, Someone will get a hiding off us soon ,.
    We where never going to win the league this year to begin with ,
    Never look at the table till 10 games is gone ,

keeper
    defence

I think the point is the league table after 7 games isn't a fair reflection of a 38 game league table.

• Advertisement

keeper
    defence

People weren't saying that this time last year and there were calls for Conte's head.

I'm not saying that we're going to win the league, we're not but we can certainly make top 4. This bad run of form at present will not last .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Vicxas wrote: »

Bit melodramatic no?

Really poor stuff today. The front 3 in particular were bad. Some of the other draws you could put down to one of those days but today wasn't one of them . As bad as the front 3 were playing it was a mistake to take all 3 off as we needed a goal and the likes of mane/salah are far more likely to get one than ox/solanke
    Are you joking me, Studge missed a sitter ,Salah missed a sitter, OX missed a sitter,
    You can't blame Klopp for that you really can't , they where chances a Sunday league player would score,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I keep seeing the same argument: "someone will get a hiding from us soon" or "our luck will change soon and the goals will come" and I'm at a loss as to where the confidence is coming from.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves: with the exception of the Arsenal game, we haven't been clinical at all this season. We had spells last season of the same issues - goals not flowing, etc.

We know how important Mané is to our play, for e.g., but bringing him back in against Spartak and Newcastle resulted in no improvement whatsoever. Salah is still buzzing about, getting into dangerous positions and not finishing, and Sturridge/Firmino still look wasteful.

It's frustrating and, more frustratingly (is that even a word?), I don't see where the necessary change can come from. Average, well-organised teams have had no issue stopping our play and the one top class team we have played (because Arsenal in August are never worth mentioning) was City, who absolutely shredded us.

I'm not overreacting and calling for anyone's head or suggesting we are in for a mid table finish, but I reckon we will see more of the same throughout the season. 1 win in 7 is a terrible run and I would be surprised if that continued, but 12 points from 7 honestly doesn't feel like any worse than what we should have.

Hit the post also.....a few clearances off the line too, strong claim for a peno etc.......

Will klopp still be here next season if we finish outside top 6 and win nothing,serious question btw

• Advertisement

Will klopp still be here next season if we finish outside top 6 and win nothing,serious question btw

Hard to say I guess. How did we do in the other cups in this hypothetical situation? Bomb out early or went far? How did we end the season?

Theres a lot of things to consider and context would be important. I reckon he'd be given a chance to rectify the season anyway tbh.

ITS THE USUAL OVER THE TOP REACTION TO EVERYTHING, ITS FAR TO EARLY TO MAKING MAD CALLS,
    FOR INSTANCE LOOK AT THE OX SITUATION HE HASN;T FEATURED MUCH SO EVERYONE AND THE MEDIA SAYING TERRIBLE BUY WHAT WHERE LIVERPOOL THINKING SO ON AND SO ON,  BUT WAIT A MINUTE UNITED BOUGHT THE 7TH MOST EXSPENSIVE CENTRE BACK OF ALL TIME AND HE HAS YET TO PLAY A SINGLE PREM MINUTE BUT NOT A WORD SAID,  ITS HYPER BOWL AT THE MOMENT EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL OUT, 2 PIONTS OFF 3RD CHILL FOLKS CHILL .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Getting rid of Klopp would be an act of lunacy, but there's real problems that he needs to address in training with the defence. People laud him as a great coach, well now it's time for him to prove it.

I'm also at a loss why you would play someone who cannot train and has to take 5 painkillers just to play. What's the point in even having a squad in that case?

ITS THE USUAL OVER THE TOP REACTION TO EVERYTHING, ITS FAR TO EARLY TO MAKING MAD CALLS,
    FOR INSTANCE LOOK AT THE OX SITUATION HE HASN;T FEATURED MUCH SO EVERYONE AND THE MEDIA SAYING TERRIBLE BUY WHAT WHERE LIVERPOOL THINKING SO ON AND SO ON,  BUT WAIT A MINUTE UNITED BOUGHT THE 7TH MOST EXSPENSIVE CENTRE BACK OF ALL TIME AND HE HAS YET TO PLAY A SINGLE PREM MINUTE BUT NOT A WORD SAID,  ITS HYPER BOWL AT THE MOMENT EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL OUT, 2 PIONTS OFF 3RD CHILL FOLKS CHILL .

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Yes imo. He'd get another year at the very least.

There is no point getting rid of Klopp as there is no one good enough to replace him. Ancelotti isn't the right manager for Liverpool right now.

Im not sure what Klopp's game plan is now. Apparently there are some similarities with how Liverpool are playing and his last season with Dortmund which is concerning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement