Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Who's that?

Sorry, meant he was playing at u21s But not at Spurs, Sanchez is his name. . Joined from Ajax..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm also at a loss why you would play someone who cannot train and has to take 5 painkillers just to play. What's the point in even having a squad in that case?

Yea, people laughed at Hamann's comments but this is incredibly careless by Klopp and the club.

I know players take pain killing injections but this sort of stuff is negligent. He's end up in a right mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Had to play catch up for both the game and this thread. That was fun.

To be fair, Klavan is worse than Lovren so if the medics reckon the 5 pain killers are ok to take and Lovren is happy to take them and play than there you go.

I can see how we can say that the forwards are getting chances and not converting them so nothing to do with Klopp, system is working.

And I can see how we can say we don't concede many chances and when we concede a goal from those limited number of chances it's due to a mistake so again system working, nothing to do with Klopp.

But when both of the above occur across various starting 11s, in the CL, PL and domestic cups it's worrying.

murpho999 wrote: »
    People weren't saying that this time last year and there were calls for Conte's head.

I'm not saying that we're going to win the league, we're not but we can certainly make top 4. This bad run of form at present will not last .

I disagree, If we had a couple of class CB and a couple of class Midfielders having a bad spell I'd say yeah....But that is not the case. We have probably the worst CB pairing in the top half of the table, I truly hope we get VVD along with another class midfielder to go with Keita next year, then and only then will I have confidence of winning games, because as it stands Liverpool could be 3 up and still lose to Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

not yet wrote: »
    Sorry, meant he was playing at u21s But not at Spurs, Sanchez is his name. . Joined from Ajax..

Sanchez was spurs' record signing, 40m from Ajax alright, oustanding in europa league final last year, now playing in a three man defence with two central midfielders in front of him...its not like he was wet behind the ears, plucked from the u21s and dumped into the team and told sink or swim. He's got maybe the best central back pairing in the league beside him guiding him though games. Totally different to our situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Lovren is chosen over Klavan and is on various pain meds to get through 90 mins and not training then its an admission from Klopp that Klavan is not good enough to start games IMO. It makes not signing a CB even more unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

NukaCola wrote: »
    Hit the post also.....a few clearances off the line too, strong claim for a peno etc.......

The penalty shouts are incredibly infuriating, 2 yesterday were blatant, one after another, so you'd think Pawson would be alert given Lovren was shouting for one, added to him getting booked for protesting last week after being dragged down, it must be hard for them to feel like they're going to catch a break.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If Lovren is chosen over Klavan and is on various pain meds to get through 90 mins and not training then its an admission from Klopp that Klavan is not good enough to start games IMO. It makes not signing a CB even more unforgivable.

Give Klavan the drugs and see how he plays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

What is the point of Klavan even being at the club? The more I think about this Lovren scenario the more I question the medical team. I'm not a doctor, but if pain is preventing you from training then there is something wrong that needs to heal or be treated. Taking painkillers and playing through injury seems to be a questionable choice for his long term health. It's possible Lovren is exaggerating though, perhaps to soften criticism of his recent performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

martyos121 wrote: »
    Surely you know how the table works yes? To put it simply; teams are ranked in order of points accrued, if we have one point less then the likelihood of finishing in a lower position than we'd like is higher. That's why these points are important, you follow?

Didn't think I'd have to explain why a draw is better than a loss when I woke up this morning. I just can't comprehend your point of view on this at all unless you're on the wind-up.

Thanks for explaining how the table works..

My point is (although I don't no why I'm bothering) Is that a point is irrelevant to this team. Unless they can win games like this they will end up mid-table, so getting a point away to NFC is useless.

People think something will change, despite this being pretty much the story since the start of the year.

I'm not in favour of sacking Klopp,but i am wondering what ideas people have.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

People think something will change, despite this being pretty much the story since the start of the year.

I'm just putting this out there so don't shoot the messenger...

A guy in work who played at a decent level and also managed for a while said to me a while back he thinks Klopp could be bluffing it. I'm asking myself the same question lately..

Rafa coached a very, very ordinary team to a draw yesterday, I'm not sure Klopp could have done the same if the situations were reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Klopp should be judged on results and performances like any other great coach, if this season stagnates and the same problems persist then he should absolutely lose his job. I like Klopp, but I'm not fooled by the theatrics either. He is here two years, **** or get of the pot time!

A guy in work who played at a decent level and also managed for a while said to me a while back he thinks Klopp could be bluffing it. I'm asking myself the same question lately................

Could you quantify what that decent level was :) ?
    LOI, LSL ........ English division?
    .............He is here two years, **** or get of the pot time!

Top 6 ish is where we should end up really, less than top6 is an under performance, top4 or above an over performance IMO......... 5th or 6th is meh ish but about where we should be all considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I stopped listening to br post match interviews 6 mths before he left because he was spouting the same crap every wk,klopps the same now,I just can't listen to the man anymore

I'm just putting this out there so don't shoot the messenger...

A guy in work who played at a decent level and also managed for a while said to me a while back he thinks Klopp could be bluffing it. I'm asking myself the same question lately..

Rafa coached a very, very ordinary team to a draw yesterday, I'm not sure Klopp could have done the same if the situations were reversed.

I was under the impression that Klopp's reputation was built on him getting the most out of limited players and being shrewd in the transfer market.

It's time for him to show those attributes and coach the defence into something resembling a cohesive unit.

edit: no idea how/why the smiley got put as the header for this post.

Augeo wrote: »

You don't really bluff your way to the success Klopp has had in the past and the obviously beautiful football his teams can play! But like a bowl of soup you're only as good as the ingredients you work with.

Top 6 ish is where we should end up really, less than top6 is an under performance, top4 or above an over performance IMO......... 5th or 6th is meh ish but about where we should be all considered.

LSL..

No way! We should finish first or at least that truly should be the aspirations! Money doesn't always buy you the league!

• Advertisement

You don't really bluff your way to the success Klopp has had in the past and the obviously beautiful football his teams can play! But like a bowl of soup you're only as good as the ingredients you work with.

I dunno about that. I could ruin just about any soup or dish. It's also about how the chef works with the ingredients.

I dunno about that. I could ruin just about any soup or dish. It's also about how the chef works with the ingredients.

That's what I meant! The chef picks the ingredients! Sometimes even the best chefs lose form! And like players, managers do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Beat Utd and all this theorising and downgrading of Klopp is gone, at least until the next result that's not 3 points.
    Lose to Utd and we might as well burn Anfield to the ground. Actually, the city itself, so we can do Everton a favour.

As good as all as we are going forward, we are nowhere near clinical enough with genuine chances.
    And it's not a recent thing, it's been since the start of the season and last year as well.
    I think that's our biggest issue.
    We don't give up too many chances and we're creating plenty.
    Also, the whole thing we need to score plenty because of the defence tongets wins works both ways.
    The defence is under pressure not to duck up because we can't score when we're on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

What do you get if you put bread in the soup?

xabi wrote: »
    What do you get if you put bread in the soup?

A prize of delicious soggy soup flavoured bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Jesus Wept will be in his feckin element with all this talk of soup and bread!

• Advertisement

As well he should. Can't beat it on a cold day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I agree with this, however another question should then be asked. He's here a decent spell. He has had a number of transfer windows and as far as anyone can tell, is being backed with money if required. We had the 6ish best squad when he came here. Why do we still have the 6ish best squad when finance does not seem to be a problem and we seemingly have this big draw of a manager.

I like Klopp. I believe in a building process absolutely, but I wont be using this excuse like I did last for previous seasons. That last transfer window was a real eye opener for me. We need to upgrade players and there is a reluctance or inability to do it for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool as a Simpson's character.

4mK68MG.jpg

XG is new buzz metric for measuring chances in games.

Liverpool's XG in the last 6 games was 6.64.

Liverpool's actual GD is -1.

XG= Expected goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

XG= Expected goals.

Seen this on MOTD. What is this? Is it a sky thing? How's it calculated...... no nevermind I've lost interest

• Advertisement

XG= Expected goals.

I tend to go by the other method,

XD XH...

Expected disappointment - Expected happiness.

My XD is 100,0036 at the moment

My XH is 000.0001

I agree with this, however another question should then be asked. He's here a decent spell. He has had a number of transfer windows and as far as anyone can tell, is being backed with money if required. We had the 6ish best squad when he came here. Why do we still have the 6ish best squad when finance does not seem to be a problem and we seemingly have this big draw of a manager.

I like Klopp. I believe in a building process absolutely, but I wont be using this excuse like I did last for previous seasons. That last transfer window was a real eye opener for me. We need to upgrade players and there is a reluctance or inability to do it for whatever reason.

I didn't consider that tbh and it's true enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I would be very interested to hear if he has in fact had trouble getting funds. By all accounts he's just stubborn on who he signs.

Such early days. But if the defensive farts continue to cost us in games we have scored in, then he really hasn't a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I would be very interested to hear if he has in fact had trouble getting funds. By all accounts he's just stubborn on who he signs.

Such early days. But if the defensive farts continue to cost us in games we have scored in, then he really hasn't a leg to stand on.

What a difference a month makes. After we beat arsenal we were all shouting from the rooftops. I love klopp and would give him time to sort out the defence but football is an impatient game these days.

Anyway i think any manager is doomed to fail at this club with FSG in charge and their lack of ambition in the transfer market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What is the point of Klavan even being at the club? The more I think about this Lovren scenario the more I question the medical team. I'm not a doctor, but if pain is preventing you from training then there is something wrong that needs to heal or be treated. Taking painkillers and playing through injury seems to be a questionable choice for his long term health.

Maybe they Club are hoping that missing training and taking pain meds to play will inspire Lovren's metamorphosis into a 21st century Paul McGrath??? :P

ricero wrote: »
    What a difference a month makes. After we beat arsenal we were all shouting from the rooftops. I love klopp and would give him time to sort out the defence but football is an impatient game these days.

Anyway i think any manager is doomed to fail at this club with FSG in charge and their lack of ambition in the transfer market

You say this every second post but never answer when you are pulled on it.

We broke the club record three times this summer and would have shattered it if Klopp hadn't got caught tapping up VVD.

These are all players the manager wanted not FSG.

So where is the lack of ambition in the the transfer market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

ricero wrote: »

Yup, unless we hit Hodgson levels, I'd be happy to see him get another full season, even if he missed out on top 4 next May!

So many signs of promise. This international break could be perfect. It just seems so many players are overthinking and freaking out in our attack.

I'd like to see Gomez getting a chance at CB, with TAA our RB. Lovren sounds like he needs a rest or physical sorting out. God knows some of us could do with a break from him. Even Matip seems to be getting progressively worse then more he plays with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Will klopp still be here next season if we finish outside top 6 and win nothing,serious question btw

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We brought in 4 players this summer and only one of them is any use at all.

Solanke is not better than Origi.
    Robertson has barely been seen despite actually being in good form.
    35m on Ox............that was a panic buy imo.

I judge windows by the players contribution to the cause ('buts' are irrelevant).
    They are not contributing.

That's a pitiful window and wasting 35m on Ox (given the state of the other end of the pitch) is baffling.

We dont have a single player in goal or defence who would get a sniff at Spurs (for example) and that's the reality.

I dont think Klopp is entirely to blame. I think there is serious incompetence among figures in the background. This type of window has gone on too long now for it to be an individual imo. Given our history with Southampton we should be on excellent terms with them at transfer dealing level and that apology reeks of people out of their depth to me.

Anyone having trouble getting to the last post in the thread?

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »

I dont think Klopp is entirely to blame. I think there is serious incompetence among figures in the background. This type of window has gone on too long now for it to be an individual imo. Given our history with Southampton we should be on excellent terms with them at transfer dealing level and that apology reeks of people out of their depth to me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Liverpool need an experienced Director of Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

brevity wrote: »

Not this one but quite a few other threads are not going to last post or post update is not working. iOS chrome boards touch site is what I am using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Liverpool need an experienced Director of Football.

Need a serious defender of football too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

You shouldn't try to read the entire thread in one day.

;)

You shouldn't try to read the entire thread in one day.

;)

Just hook it up to my veins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No

Is this your preference or do you think fsg will get rid ?

Once Lucas played at CB when Klavan was available it was indicative of Klavan being not great at this level ........ that has been clarified since when he has played. He's not good enough to be a PL CB for a team with CL qualification as an aspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is this your preference or do you think fsg will get rid ?

In that scenario it would be my preference AND what my perceived likely outcome.

To be fair, I can't see us finishing outside of the Top6.
    12 points after 7 games, 1.71ppg.

I reckon we'll improve on that over the season so I can't see us having less than 70 points in the league tbh.

• Advertisement

Thinking of the ppg so far got me to looking at the GD etc............ fair enough Man City account for 5 of the 12 we let in, but looking at our goals scored, 13, it doesn't look too bad.

Only Man City and Man Utd have scored a fair bit more, admittedly they are both scoring for fun almost.

But our goals scored of 13 so far after 7 games over a season would be 70/71 goals, not too much lower than the 78 we scored last season.

Being realistic, we'd be doing very well to better that 78 now but you can easily see it happening. I reckon it will the defense that will be the problem should there be one come season's end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement