Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

shamrock55 wrote: »
    But why Henderson,you could say that about all our players bar Salah,coutinho,mane,and bobby,this is exactly what other posters are saying why make hendo the scapegoat

Henderson is the one being discussed, that's what I responded to. Obviously others have underperformed but it strikes me that he gets a lot of praise for passing 10 yards sideways. He is also at the club 6 years remarkably and bar one season how important has he been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

None of our Midfielders are someone that can control the play, Henderson doesn't shy away from the ball but hasn't got that killer pass from back to front, he either goes back, sideways or diagonal.

Thats not his fault, he's better suited playing ahead of a MF two.

Gini breaks up play, holds onto the ball and plays it simple.

Can has played his best football when he's breaking from MF and getting into scoring positions.

IMO none of them are great at playing deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Charlie19 wrote: »
    None of our Midfielders are someone that can control the play, Henderson doesn't shy away from the ball but hasn't got that killer pass from back to front, he either goes back, sideways or diagonal.

Thats not his fault, he's better suited playing ahead of a MF two.

Gini breaks up play, holds onto the ball and plays it simple.

Can has played his best football when he's breaking from MF and getting into scoring positions.

IMO none of them are great at playing deep.[/overal

Look at it from the back.

Keepers - none of them close to being up to scratch.

Defenders - Matip is tidy but slight. Clyne can defend but not attack. TAA is young, as is Gomez who probably won't make it with us. No-one else there is good enough.

Midfielders - Coutinho, Mané, Salah - all quality. Lallana - just a level below these 3, I think.
    Can inconsistent. Milner reliable but unspectacular. Henderson simply not good enough. Gini - capable but never really influences games.

Forwards - Bobby - quality but won't score enough. Danny - broken. Solanke - raw.

We have probably 3 players, maybe 4 that our rivals would want. I think our squad is pretty **** overall. We are poor at the back, light in central midfield and not one finisher in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I liked the cut of the gib of Lascelles in the game 23 year who looked and commanded his area and teammates with the air of a 33 year old.

He looked a real warrior and captain something we badly need.

Big fan of him. Since Rafa brought him into the team toward the end of their relegation season, he's been a massive character. Speaks strongly, and backs up his words with actions. Looks a real leader. Would remind you of the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Carra, and Toure in the mid 2000's, in the way he presents himself.

I'm not sure he's quite at the level we need just yet, but having said that, i'd certainly have him ahead of Klavan, and probably Lovren too.

Would be delighted with Matip and VVD, with Lascelles and Gomez as the backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I thought the VvD saga would be done for good but the way he's been going on in the media makes it seem like he's far from done with Liverpool. In an interview a couple weeks ago he was asked about the toughest player he's had to face and his answer was Sturridge, which let's face it regardless of how you feel about Danny, is far from the truth, and then just today there's been an interview with him talking about having no regrets about trying to force a move from Southampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »
    Klopp bought wij so wij can't be criticised.....

Chamberlain isn't exactly getting showered with praise and Klopp also bought him. :confused:

Karius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whether or not VVD comes in January. Surely we buy a CB then.
    Lovren can't train & is probably close to a long term injury leaving only Matip & Klavan as our senior CBs.

Chamberlain isn't exactly getting showered with praise and Klopp also bought him. :confused:

Karius?

Too early to judge Chamberlain to be fair.

Plenty reckon Karius will come good as Kloppo bought him :)
    .......... he was described as iffy recently, he's fncking dogsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Whether or not VVD comes in January. Surely we buy a CB then.
    Lovren can't train & is probably close to a long term injury leaving only Matip & Klavan as our senior CBs.

Hopefully we do sign a CB and they don't get the inexplicable Robertson treatment whereby we see them for two games every three months.

Knex. wrote: »
    ............... the inexplicable Robertson treatment ...............

It's tough to shoehorn that into the Klopp is unbelievably loyal to his players speel, IMO.
    Really weird situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's tough to shoehorn that into the Klopp is unbelievably loyal to his players speel, IMO.
    Really weird situation.

Hes just become a new dad, could just be having a ****e time at home

I remember being so tired I forgot how to sleep :)

Possibly. I'd expect a professional footballer to be able to find time and somewhere to snooze by day though.......... or stay in a hotel 2 / 3 nights a week to ensure you can train and play.

It's not as if he has to do a 40 hr week etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Been thinking about the left back situation. The most logical explanation is Moreno is teaching Klopp how to use a hover board on exchange for playing time. I'm sure once Klopp has got to grips with it we'll see Robertson back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Possibly. I'd expect a professional footballer to be able to find time and somewhere to snooze by day though.......... or stay in a hotel 2 / 3 nights a week to ensure you can train and play.

Can't agree with this I'm afraid.

We have no idea what's going on at home. His partner may have had a C-section or suffering from Postpartum depression.

His head might not be there. People handle these sort of situations very differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I was on Paternity leave and was still in bits :)

So many factors to take into account

brevity wrote: »
    Can't agree with this I'm afraid.

We have no idea what's going on at home. His partner may have had a C-section or suffering from Postpartum depression.

His head might not be there. People handle these sort of situations very differently.

Well, I just hope that he does get game time in place of Moreno.
    It is my opinion that the reason he isn't has nothing to do with being a recent daddy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Been thinking about the left back situation. The most logical explanation is Moreno is teaching Klopp how to use a hover board on exchange for playing time. I'm sure once Klopp has got to grips with it we'll see Robertson back in.

Moreno has been rather good though. I think he is far better suited to the quick counter games. Unfortunately opposition teams are not leaving that space for us anymore. They can see the threat from Salah and Mane a mile off by leaving space behind the lines. Maybe we might have some space for this against Utd.

Robertson should be played against those more rigid teams so that we can get down the flanks to cross balls into the crowded area....but that leaves the problem of us not really having front players that are effective in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Moreno has been rather good though. I think he is far better suited to the quick counter games. Unfortunately opposition teams are not leaving that space for us anymore. They can see the threat from Salah and Mane a mile off by leaving space behind the lines. Maybe we might have some space for this against Utd.

Robertson should be played against those more rigid teams so that we can get down the flanks to cross balls into the crowded area....but that leaves the problem of us not really having front players that are effective in the air.

I feel the same way about Robertson.

He has a good cross on him but Liverpool aren't what you could consider a big crossing team... maybe he's a plan B of sorts but we don't have a player that compliments his style. Solanke maybe?

The more I examine the squad the more it confuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Well, I just hope that he does get game time in place of Moreno.
    It is my opinion that the reason he isn't has nothing to do with being a recent daddy.

I agree it's a weak defence of the situation.

Roberston was in the Scotland team for the last international break putting in good displays and bagging a goal in the process.

He was one of the better Liverpool players against Crystal Palace putting in good deliveries when attacking.

It's all just a little strange that he can show this ability but still be behind Moreno for the LB position.

Or does the bromance have an influence?

44EF4C4E00000578-4942146-image-a-20_1506975318029.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Moreno has been playing well. Matip has been much worse this season as have Lovren & Klavan. Trent AA & Gomez been inconsistent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Moreno is not a defender so fits well into this system. He's done ok to be fair to him. I'd have Robertson or Milner ahead of him though. Must be doing what Klopp wants for the majority of the time I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

He's looked a lot more steady defensively though too, Moreno. Credit where credit's due, I'd have sold him for a packet of Scampi Fries in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lets see if they still have a team by then or if they are playing in a new country.....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Less money is what the club was holding out for alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

NukaCola wrote: »
    Moreno is not a defender so fits well into this system. He's done ok to be fair to him. I'd have Robertson or Milner ahead of him though. Must be doing what Klopp wants for the majority of the time I guess.

I don't know.

I mean the summer of 2016 this guy was not deemed good enough and was replaced by a central midfielder for the entire season. I mean the guy, a "natural" left back didn't even win his place back over a whole season.

The whole world were certain he was going to be the first player sold once the transfer window opened up. Then we signed Robertson and it seemed even more nailed on that he was going and then.......

He's been first choice for the new season! It makes no sense unless the guy had a lobotomy over the summer and is suddenly doing as he's supposed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

5starpool wrote: »
    Less money is what the club was holding out for alright.

Yeah, coming back and offering less money is a novel approach alright.

Maybe we should pay them to take him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Look Moreno has been awful in the past but this season he's been out best defender by a country mile , no point slating him when its not deserved,

Just on Robertson his crossing being good is a total myth,
    He crosses often so people think its great but how many times has he picked anyone out ?
    A cross where you don't pick someone out is the same as giving a pass away,  crossing like passing is only good if you pic someone out, ,
    You'll always here great cross someone should be on the end of that, but why play the cross into a space where there is no one to attack it, its like playing a blind pass into space to no one, its not a good pass,
    Its sound so Sunday league and its one of the reason's Ireland ,England,Scotland struggle in International tournaments ,When people think a cross to no one is great, you'd never hear it being good in Spain or France,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

He crosses often so people think its great but how many times has he picked anyone out ?
    A cross where you don't pick someone out is the same as giving a pass away,  crossing like passing is only good if you pic someone out, ,
    You'll always here great cross someone should be on the end of that, but why play the cross into a space where there is no one to attack it, its like playing a blind pass into space to no one, its not a good pass,
    Its sound so Sunday league and its one of the reason's Ireland ,England,Scotland struggle in International tournaments ,When people think a cross to no one is great, you'd never hear it being good in Spain or France,

To be fair if we had a decent striker then we would score from then. Our players are so used to the ball not going in first time or hitting the first man that they dont bother attacking the box. Its all about learning players strengths, once they realise most of his crosses are good then they will profit from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In the (limited) amount of gametime he's had with us so far I though his crossing was excellent. Pretty sure someone missed a sitter from one of his crosses. Might have been Firmino.

Just because nobody gets on the end of them does not make them bad crosses per se. It might mean nobody has gambled to make a run to get on the end of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Moreno has been playing better than he ever has been for us, but that doesnt really say a whole lot about him to be honest considering he's been chronic for the last few years. Klopp seems to love him now though, full of hugs and kisses for him. His delivery when he gets into good positions is still poor and he continually gives away soft free kicks for no reason. I'd still have Robertson or Milner ahead of him every day of the week.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Moreno has been playing better than he ever has been for us, but that doesnt really say a whole lot about him to be honest considering he's been chronic for the last few years.

Moreno is basically getting praise for not ****ing up yet. It's a pretty low bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

He crosses often so people think its great but how many times has he picked anyone out ?
    A cross where you don't pick someone out is the same as giving a pass away, crossing like passing is only good if you pic someone out, ,
    You'll always here great cross someone should be on the end of that, but why play the cross into a space where there is no one to attack it, its like playing a blind pass into space to no one, its not a good pass,

How do you cross the ball then? Just batter it at where the player is at the time?

Also amazing you found out the issues with Ireland and how we 'struggle' in international competitions, it's all those crosses to no one. So Sunday league of us.

Look, I don't think anyone is saying Robertson is the answer to all our problems at the back, more that he has looked pretty good in the limited game time he has had and it would be nice for him to get a run to see if he is up to it.

If you guys are advocating for Morano than you have all the cognitive dissonance of a battered spouse.

If you guys are advocating for Morano..............

Kloppo says Moreno is absolutely back in at LB or some such sh1te and folks buy in 100% to it :)

In the (limited) amount of gametime he's had with us so far I though his crossing was excellent. Pretty sure someone missed a sitter from one of his crosses. Might have been Firmino.

Just because nobody gets on the end of them does not make them bad crosses per se. It might mean nobody has gambled to make a run to get on the end of them.

Solanke had one pretty much put where his head ought to have been v Leicester in the Cup. He lashed in three perfect crosses in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

How do you cross the ball then? Just batter it at where the player is at the time?

Also amazing you found out the issues with Ireland and how we 'struggle' in international competitions, it's all those crosses to no one. So Sunday league of us.

Look, I don't think anyone is saying Robertson is the answer to all our problems at the back, more that he has looked pretty good in the limited game time he has had and it would be nice for him to get a run to see if he is up to it.

If you guys are advocating for Morano than you have all the cognitive dissonance of a battered spouse.

Hark at Barney ****ing Ronay here.

mosstin wrote: »
    Hark at Barney ****ing Ronay here.

Nice iceburn, you got me. You got me good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DLPAWTyWAAAcCIJ.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

37444984206_cf5cefaec4_b.jpg

Found the above when googling for more info on whether or not that image is legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ben Woodburn and Roberto Firmino in line for new contracts at Liverpool

Ben Woodburn and Roberto Firmino are next in line for new contracts as Liverpool look to secure the long-term futures of their top talent.

Wales international Woodburn is set to be rewarded with improved terms when he turns 18 later this month. The teenager has clocked up 10 senior appearances for the Reds since Jurgen Klopp handed him his debut last November.

Liverpool are also keen to extend Firmino’s stay at Anfield. The Brazilian attacker, whose current deal runs until 2020, has scored 27 goals in 101 matches for the Reds since his £29million move from Hoffenheim in July 2015.

Klopp views Firmino, who celebrated his 26th birthday on Monday, as key to his plans going forward and the Reds’ hierarchy intend to recognise his progress over the past two years and fend off interest from elsewhere.

The situation regarding Emre Can’s contract stand-off with Liverpool remains unchanged.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-woodburn-roberto-firmino-line-13716951

The situation regarding Emre Can’s contract stand-off with Liverpool remains unchanged.

Have to think he's off at this stage. A couple more months and he can start negotiating with other clubs.

Have to think he's off at this stage. A couple more months and he can start negotiating with other clubs.

For the best really. Both for the club and player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I don't agree, I think the club will look back at him leaving on a free with regret in a few years. Not much can be done about it now by the sounds of it.

sword1 wrote: »
    I don't agree, I think the club will look back at him leaving on a free with regret in a few years. Not much can be done about it now by the sounds of it.

It's a pity we won't get anything for him but he's better off in Italy, it will suit him better.

Depends who we replace him with, if we replace him that is.
    And I know Keita is coming in next summer.

He crosses often so people think its great but how many times has he picked anyone out ?
    A cross where you don't pick someone out is the same as giving a pass away,  crossing like passing is only good if you pic someone out, ,
    You'll always here great cross someone should be on the end of that, but why play the cross into a space where there is no one to attack it, its like playing a blind pass into space to no one, its not a good pass,

How do you cross the ball then?   Just batter it at where the player is at the time?  

Also amazing you found out the issues with Ireland and how we 'struggle' in international competitions, it's all those crosses to no one.  So Sunday league of us.

How do you cross a ball  ?? are you serious u aim to pick someone out , watch back he crosses when there no one even in the box,  A cross is the same as a pass you aim to pick someone out, You really think all crosses are just whipped into the box with no attention to where players are going ?

So then how much is Dalglish paying FSG for the naming rights?

How do you cross a ball ?? are you serious u aim to pick someone out , watch back he crosses when there no one even in the box, A cross is the same as a pass you aim to pick someone out, You really think all crosses are just whipped into the box with no attention to where players are going ?

Yeah, that's not what I said at all.

Of course you are aiming to pick someone out. With a lot of passes you play the ball into the space ahead of where the players momentum is going, pretty basic stuff. I can't tell if you are on the wind up or not.

• Advertisement

A cross where you don't pick someone out is the same as giving a pass away,  crossing like passing is only good if you pic someone out, ,

How do you cross the ball then?   Just batter it at where the player is at the time?  

Also amazing you found out the issues with Ireland and how we 'struggle' in international competitions, it's all those crosses to no one.  So Sunday league of us.

How do you cross a ball  ?? are you serious u aim to pick someone out , watch back he crosses when there no one even in the box,  A cross is the same as a pass you aim to pick someone out, You really think all crosses are just whipped into the box with no attention to where players are going ?
    Robertson for Hull had a crossing % of 17 % successful and he's a great crosser ,
    Moerno for Liverpool  has a crossing % of 24% successful
    Now take into account Robertson played for a team who's game plan was crossing with big players and big forwards,
    Moreno has never been know for crossing a ball and plays for a team who don't use it as a game plan
    Its a myth that Robertson is some deadly crosser of the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement