Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I came for the football, I stayed for the pandas.

200.webp#4-grid1

Dont you mean these Panda's

main-qimg-ad2f3ac6c2355a6e3e50a64fee75a1bc-c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

:mad:
    Dont you mean these Panda's

main-qimg-ad2f3ac6c2355a6e3e50a64fee75a1bc-c

200.webp#0-grid1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I came for the football, I stayed for the pandas.

200.webp#4-grid1

Better than coming for the pandas, I suppose....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Talk of Arsenal V Liverpool at 1:30pm on Christmas Eve, guys you have to do your Christmas shopping on the 23rd this year

Doesn't bother me. I'm in Vegas this Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me. I'm in Vegas this Christmas.

So you're happy to get up at 5am to watch it instead of casually drifting down to the brunch for it mid-morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

So you're happy to get up at stay up until 5am to watch it instead of casually drifting down to the brunch for it mid-morning?

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So you're happy to get up at 5am to watch it instead of casually drifting down to the brunch for it mid-morning?

Like I'll be sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd weigh in and say not much. You've been here before where you beat Utd one week and the next week you lose to a team in the bottom 3.

I'd argue consistency against struggling sides is ultimately what Liverpool need to work on the most which they consistently struggle with including adpating the teams tactics as opposed to playing the same way against every team and then Liverpools weaknesses are exploited.

Ours saving grace since Klopp took over has been our performances against the top 6, if we fail to get a point from either of the games against Manchester clubs and continue to struggle against "weaker" teams, then there isn't a lot to cheer about.

That said, I think we might just shade it, 4-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Like I'll be sleeping.

exactly there's blackjack to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So Phil Neville reckons if we sold coutinho we could have bought van djik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Phil Neville makes Michael Owen seem like a good pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So Phil Neville reckons if we sold coutinho we could have bought van djik.

Yes, because selling our marquee player would make Southampton all of a sudden accept our bid. Why didn't we think of that?

He's not a pundit. He's a Utd propaganda machine designed to rile the fans of every other club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Every time I see Phil Neville on the debate or in any debate when it comes to football, he tends to try to wind other pundits up and be completely blinded by the "United are the greatest thing on the planet" mindset, rather than actually have an intelligent conversation about football.

Firstly his love for United is brilliant. Its the same passion most fans have for their club and for that I respect.

But if you want to be a pundit then actually have a discussion. Dont just try to wind people up like some idiot in a pub. His digs at Danny where embarrassing. Nearly every time Danny tried to answer a question, Phil would chime in with a dig such as "not that you guys would know about getting the first goal (against United)". When Neville mentioned "Jose never lost against Liverpool when he was at Chelsea", Danny responded "I remember a Champions league game" Neville blathered "Everyone has a once off" (or something to that ilk).

Phil seems to have no "expert insight" when it comes to United. Its always "united are the best simple as". When asked about Lukaku's record against top teams he simply said "at United he will get better service". He mentioned that against Liverpool "his strength will destroy Liverpools defence just like Ibra did last year"................. maybe I am being biased now but I dont seem to recall the game in the same way Phil does?? I remember the reverse fixture where Ibra got a late equaliser but even in that game he didnt exactly "dominate".

Then when asked if United had an easy run up to now he said "united would have beaten any team in those fixtures because they were that good"................

I mean ffs this isnt "banter" this is pathetic schoolyard sh1t. I hated Gary when he was a player but at least he takes the blinkers off at times with United. Himself and Carra have great debates and I wouldnt be surprised if it came out in a few years that they are ridding each other considering the chemistry they seem to have.

Micheal Owen and Phil Neville should move to America and do commentary on some channel over there where we very rarely will have to watch them.

• ^You forgot to add Graeme Souness & his clear bitterness towards Utd including his inability to provide unbiased analysis when he discusses them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

^You forgot to add Graeme Souness & his clear bitterness towards Utd including his inability to provide unbiased analysis when he discusses them

But Souness wasn't being discussed so bring it up? It's not as if he mentioned Hamanns bias against klopp or dunphys towards wes. Or Tylers hatred for Liverpool. The conversation was about Phil Neville not every pundit on the planet.

• Advertisement

^You forgot to add Graeme Souness & his clear bitterness towards Utd including his inability to provide unbiased analysis when he discusses them

As mentioned he wasnt in discussion so why would I mention him. He is a plank as well though.

But right now Phil has to be the single worst pundit on tv. Including Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Murphy should of mentioned Mourinho win rate against Klopp. 1 win in a 2nd leg champions league game which Dortmund still went through in. Embarrassing by the greatest manager of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

philnev.gif

Hard to know which ickle Phil is worse at being, a pundit or a diver.

• redzerdrog wrote: »
    But Souness wasn't being discussed so bring it up? It's not as if he mentioned Hamanns bias against klopp or dunphys towards wes. Or Tylers hatred for Liverpool. The conversation was about Phil Neville not every pundit on the planet.
    Mr.H wrote: »
    As mentioned he wasnt in discussion so why would I mention him. He is a plank as well though.

But right now Phil has to be the single worst pundit on tv. Including Dunphy

Michael Owen was also mentioned. I'm just adding in a third and indicating that this type of pundit exists and it's not that surprising.

I do agree when it comes to Carragher & Gary Neville at least they make a good attempt at not letting any bias outweigh honest opinions on both teams.

To be honest all these records and "form guides" are great for building hype around the game, but they mean nothing in reality. Tomorrow can go either way.

Liverpool have been shocking since the Arsenal game (personally I think its because we bought "the Ox", and with him, Arsenals bad luck). United on the other hand have been efficient so far this season (albeit had a really eased in run). The international break could have been a welcome break for Liverpool and might have been a bad time for United as they want to keep their form going. Although the break could change nothing also.

Liverpool have a brilliant record under Klopp against the top 6 but they had that record before the City game also.................. Surely after the Arsenal game we didnt think that could happen??

We will be without Mane but unlike last year when Mane wasnt there, we have pace in Salah and Chamberlain. We also have the ability to move Coutinho up to the front three (Phil Neville doesnt think we could ever fit him into the 3 center mids anyway................ my head hurts).

We also have a good defensive record against the top sides. I would like to see Milner start in the midfield with Hendo and Can. Milner would give defensive protection for our back line.

• Advertisement

Michael Owen was also mentioned. I'm just adding in a third and indicating that this type of pundit exists and it's not that surprising.

I do agree when it comes to Carragher & Gary Neville at least they make a good attempt at not letting any bias outweigh honest opinions on both teams.

Ah come on the whole not surprising excuse is rubbish. Its one thing if he offers footballing knowledge like even Souness has at times. But with Phil its just wind up stuff aimed at getting into an argument rather than a debate.

Souness will talk about football and critisise even teams he claims to love. Where Phil sees nothing wrong with United or their players. I mean even simple things that most United fans would see.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Chamberlain starts tomorrow I think I'll cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

5starpool wrote: »
    If Chamberlain starts tomorrow I think I'll cry.

Meh he can't be any worse than what Can and Wijnaldum have been so far this season.

However I don't think he will start unless Coutinho /Firmino are bolloxed.

Henderson, can and wij in the middle with Coutinho on the left I'd imagine

Id love to see

Migs
    Trent--Matip--Lovren--Moreno
    Milner
    Hendo--Coutinho
    --Salah
    Firmino
    Sturridge

But we will likely see

Migs
    Trent--Matip--Lovren--Moreno
    Hendo
    Can--Wjini
    --Salah
    Coutinho
    Sturridge (or Firmino)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Your not doing that though.
    Nearly anytime someone critices a Man Utd player or ex player you go off topic & mention a Liverpool one like a child.

redzerdrog wrote: »

Don't you mean the Super Sunday team hatred of Liverpool with both Tyler and Alan Smith, that time in 1989 you know at nearly every chance he gets in a Liverpool game.

rob316 wrote: »
    exactly there's blackjack to play

if you can afford it the best thrill is to put the money you won on a colour on the last night roulette wheel on the last night.

Either come home with a free holiday or come home with a good story and not out of pocket as it was just the money you were up.

I did it last time I was there and won paid for my hotel room for the week

Took the bullet and created my 1st and last match thread

• Mr.H wrote: »
    Ah come on the whole not surprising excuse is rubbish. Its one thing if he offers footballing knowledge like even Souness has at times. But with Phil its just wind up stuff aimed at getting into an argument rather than a debate.

Souness will talk about football and critisise even teams he claims to love. Where Phil sees nothing wrong with United or their players. I mean even simple things that most United fans would see.

Il leave it at that. Some lads getting worked up over absolutely nothing. (Not you)

Il leave it at that. Some lads getting worked up over absolutely nothing. (Not you)

No we don't! Jesus, what's wrong with you! This is the worst thing anyone has ever posted here. Ridiculous!

I'm so angry at this. You've made the list Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There always has to be a "oooh but Liverpool" post when United are talked about in here. Maybe there's a Liverpool fan version of Mick doing the same over in the United thread. I wouldn't know, I'm never in there. Craving attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Grayditch wrote: »
    There always has to be a "oooh but Liverpool" post when United are talked about in here. Maybe there's a Liverpool fan version of Mick doing the same over in the United thread. I wouldn't know, I'm never in there. Craving attention.

Imagine going over to their thread to defend the punditry of, say, Jason McAteer. Now imagine the sense of self-loathing and grubby shame that would take hold, as you fight the urge to just walk into the sea.

I can't imagine it, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The tiresome charade of Mick feigning surprise when he's called out just becomes a bit of an endless carousel.

Bit of a speel here, essentially they are saying that with Coutinho in a midfield 3 without an effective DM and with a front 3 we are sh@gged :pac:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/10/jurgen-klopps-pressing-problem-whats-happened-gegenpress/?utm_source=webpush&utm_medium=Campaign&utm_campaign=webpush

Martin Keown says that Klopp should have asked Mane not to get injured on international duty. He reckons Mourinho said it to Lukaku, which is why he's fit for Saturday.

Klopp will be kicking himself that he didn't think of that. Football punditry is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Martin Keown says that Klopp should have asked Mane not to get injured on international duty. He reckons Mourinho said it to Lukaku, which is why he's fit for Saturday.

Klopp will be kicking himself that he didn't think of that. Football punditry is great.

It's a bit like asking Martin Keown to speak with intelligence. An absolutely outrageous and impossible request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've a serious sense of dread about tomorrow

Be graaaand, as long as we don't lose, in which case the World will implode....

Will Mourinho go for the jugular of a wounded animal? It's gonna be the bus isn't it, with added threat of Rashford/Lukaku on the break.

I'd like to see

Mig
    Gomez-Lovren-Matip-Moreno
    Can-Hendo-Wij
    Coutinho-Firmino-Salah

Vicxas wrote: »

I get that before lots of games, but ya, it's strong at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Page 6667 :D time to close the thread.

I know the debate has been done to death but I really dont think our defenders are as bad as they seem.

Keep an open mind for a sec before you completely shoot my idea down as ridiculous. It may still be ridiculous but maybe this is the reason Klopp does not see an issue that so called "experts" see on Sky Sports.

So we do concede a lot more goals than most. We concede silly goals more so than class goals. Of course all goals are worth the same so the opposition dont care. But maybe there is something in that.

In the last few games we made errors from quick throw ins that caught individual players out. We also have a lot of goals against us from our own players keeping the ball too long, trying to play the ball out of danger and end up either passing it to an opposition player or losing the ball to someone pressing.

So quick explaination on Gegen pressing. When a player wins the ball from someone they then must decide what to do with the ball. That is logic. Gegen pressing theory says that the player will decide within 3-5 seconds what they will do with the ball. Be that run with it or who to pass it to. That means for that 3-5 seconds they are thinking and under pressure to make a decision. This allows an opportunity to win the ball from them. Ironically we suffer from this over thinking and it costs us a lot!!

Pressing the way we do means our striker needs to even close down. This explains why Danny doesnt get a shout. He doesnt work off the ball enough for Klopp. Firmino does. If your thinking the perfect players for a Klopp team, Think Dirk Kuyt and Suarez as oppose to Christiano Ronaldo and Ozil. Players that close down and work their asses off for 90+ mins.

Our issue is that we are an all out attacking counter attack team. This puts a lot of pressure on our back line.

We have 2 full backs who are wingers most of the game. One of our mids falls back to create a back three. But our now midfield is so far ahead of this back three that if our back three get exposed they are often in a one on one situation.

I dont care what team you are. Chelsea, United, Juvetus it doesnt matter who the defender is, It could be Pepe Samuel or Silva in their prime, if they are in a one on one situation they are not going to win the ball every time.

The same goes for keepers. Barca under Pep, Arsenals great attacking sides, Moyes "attacking" United team, once a team is an attacking one and regularly leaves their keeper exposed then the keeper is going to come off the worst most of the time.

I genuinely believe our back line and either of our keepers could look amazing if we had a manager like Van Gaal or Trappatoni for example. I am not suggesting we change manager but I am trying to explain why our defence looks so weak.

Klopp has talked about "the rest of the team" needing to help rather than blame the keeper or either center back. Last season Milner made loads of mistakes at left back but he gets a free pass because he isnt a left back. My argument is he didnt offer what a left back should in a Klopp team. He was too scared to get forward as he wasnt a left back. Meaning he didnt look as bad as Moreno. But he still got caught.

The team need to be switched on at all times. Not turn off for a second when there is a throw in or a corner. They have a great defensive record against the top sides because they dont get a second to turn off. Where as against smaller sides they might get a bit relaxed for a minute or two and that costs us a goal because as I mentioned, we leave our defence exposed.

I dont necessarily think we need to change. If Klopp wanst to go all out then so be it. But we do need to stay switched on. We are well able to defend but the little mistakes need to be sorted quickly. No more dwelling on the ball when a striker is closing down. No more switching off at set plays.

We do need leaders in the side because I really dont see any right now. Coutinho Firmino Mane Salah Hendo are all great players but none of them are leaders. We need VVD. Not because he will be the answer to our defensive errors but because we need a leader to ensure our players dont go to sleep.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I get that before lots of games, but ya, it's strong at the minute.

My favorite word I have learnt from supporting Liverpool

trempidation

Nervous anticipation :D

I cant remember the last time I was actually "looking forward" to a Liverpool game. I dont mean that to sound negative. Its been like this for years now. I love Liverpool and wont miss a game for anything but these games weigh heavy.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's a bit like asking Martin Keown to speak with intelligence. An absolutely outrageous and impossible request.

... not to mention pointing out that Mourinho had an easier task considering the player's country had already secured qualification.

(I can't help but wonder what he said to Felliani though....)

As long as we don't give away any corners or free kicks in our half, we'll be perfectly fine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mr.H wrote: »
    My favorite word I have learnt from supporting Liverpool

trempidation

Nervous anticipation :D

I cant remember the last time I was actually "looking forward" to a Liverpool game. I dont mean that to sound negative. Its been like this for years now. I love Liverpool and wont miss a game for anything but these games weigh heavy.

Thats exactly what it is. I feel the same. It's the sense of not sure which Liverpool team will show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Friday the 13th too

:eek:

I'm always disappointed to find out when people are of the 15 posts per page variety. It like finding out someone believes that the earth is flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

last post.#

I have 250 pages.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Last.

I'm confident about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

SlickRic wrote: »
    Yes, because selling our marquee player would make Southampton all of a sudden accept our bid. Why didn't we think of that?

He's not a pundit. He's a Utd propaganda machine designed to rile the fans of every other club.

That implies intelligence.. :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement