Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So we're putting our hopes on the shoulders of Balague and Agent Coulson.

Two fairly shady characters.

:D

Harsh on Balague tbh:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

1-0 win!! Sweet
    I was pleased with the changes to the starting eleven (I'd disagree with a few-Woodburn) and although the opposition was poor the lads and Klopp managed the game well apart from only scoring one.

Klopp's a new man. He even allowed Mane to swap wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Keita played a full game for Leipzig today, got carded. They lost 2-0 away to Schalke. Peter Gulasci in goal for Leipzig!

I watched that match earlier. Was Leipzig's best player, giving it his all. No moping about from him and sulking about failed transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wish she'd start posting how 'disappointed I am with the boys' when it's a 3-3! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wish she'd start posting how 'disappointed I am with the boys' when it's a 3-3! :)

Dominatrix Linda.:eek::P:D

whip.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

monkey9 wrote: »
    I watched that match earlier. Was Leipzig's best player, giving it his all. No moping about from him and sulking about failed transfers.

Same with mahrez today. He put in a transfer request but still is giving his all for his team.

Coutinho is an ungrateful **** and i will take great delight if the club holds firm and doesnt sell him

ricero wrote: »
    Same with mahrez today. He put in a transfer request but still is giving his all for his team.

Coutinho is an ungrateful **** and i will take great delight if the club holds firm and doesnt sell him

I have no problem at all with Coutinho wanting to go to Barca, but failing to play for the club who employs him does my head in. Barca are taking the p!ss with their offers and demands anyway so he should just put his head down and play. If Barcelona really want him, they'll put in a serious offer.

I'll say that about any player btw. Any player we're after, they've no business downing tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Keep him for the 5 years on his contract and let him go for free at 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Weird side note to todays game - we didn't wear the black armbands in the second half. Can't help but wonder if it's because it covered the Western Transfer logo...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Weird side note to todays game - we didn't wear the black armbands in the second half. Can't help but wonder if it's because it covered the Western Transfer logo...

Probably true, but I'll take it as we're open for transfurbusity. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Have seen people criticise Klopp's use of substitution quite a lot, granted it mostly from people clutching to any stick to try beat klopp with though. I think he deserves credit for today's subs and he got them pretty spot on and really changed the game in our favour

I think that is a bit unfair tbh, last season there was lots of games where we were struggling and it was obvious subs were needed at 60 minutes but Klopp always seemed to wait until at least 70 minutes and sometimes 75. Football is no longer an 11 man game, it is a 14 man one. You always use all your subs because it allows you to change 35% of your starting line up. Subs can and do win games that are on a knife edge, but only if you allow them enough time to influence the game.

ricero wrote: »

I think you and me ricero are the only posters on here who want to see Mahrez signed. I really cant see any downside to signing him for perhaps 30-40 mill especially as Lallana is now out till December. He has a great eye for a pass, has precision delivery and take excellent free kicks. Can score lots of goals and oozes assists. Plus he brings the experience of actually winning a league title. Would like to hear reasons from others about why Mahrez shouldnt improve our squad. Proper reasons, like apart from ricero wanting to pay Leicester 100 million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can't remember last time we lost a game. That can't be a bad thing, must be last Spring sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I can't remember last time we lost a game. That can't be a bad thing, must be last Spring sometime.

Twas Palace at home funnily enough. We've lost about only 13 or 14 Lg games since klopp took over which is not bad at all

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Twas Palace at home funnily enough. We've lost about only 13 or 14 Lg games since klopp took over which is not bad at all

You'd think we were near relegation the way some people go on instead of having a few good cup runs and Champions League football once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Still one of the greatest moments in football.

https://twitter.com/shornKOOMINS/status/898974215574925312

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think that is a bit unfair tbh, last season there was lots of games where we were struggling and it was obvious subs were needed at 60 minutes but Klopp always seemed to wait until at least 70 minutes and sometimes 75. Football is no longer an 11 man game, it is a 14 man one. You always use all your subs because it allows you to change 35% of your starting line up. Subs can and do win games that are on a knife edge, but only if you allow them enough time to influence the game.

I think you and me ricero are the only posters on here who want to see Mahrez signed. I really cant see any downside to signing him for perhaps 30-40 mill especially as Lallana is now out till December. He has a great eye for a pass, has precision delivery and take excellent free kicks. Can score lots of goals and oozes assists. Plus he brings the experience of actually winning a league title. Would like to hear reasons from others about why Mahrez shouldnt improve our squad. Proper reasons, like apart from ricero wanting to pay Leicester 100 million for him.

He can't play central.
    Love the player. 40M is value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

With Adam out for months we should try for draxler or mahrez Imo,mahrez for 40 mil would be a good purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still one of the greatest moments in football.

https://twitter.com/shornKOOMINS/status/898974215574925312

That belongs in the favourite football moments thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

With Adam out for months we should try for draxler or mahrez Imo,mahrez for 40 mil would be a good purchase.

I could've sworn Mahrez was 29.
    He's only 26.

It's about the same cost relative to the market and age profile as Lallana was at the time.

I would imagine that they expect Coutinho to come back into the side after the international break and given that we already have a lot of AM/Fs they'd have to be really special to be worth splashing out on.

I'm not sure either of Draxler or Mahrez are quite that.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That belongs in the favourite football moments thread.

Hadn't thought of that.

Sometimes I forget there are other threads on Boards apart from this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

It will be interesting to see if Coutinho is called up to the Brazil squad given his, ahem, injury.

If he is I can't imagine Liverpool will let him travel. 12 hours on a plane would be murder on his back :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Benimar wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if Coutinho is called up to the Brazil squad given his, ahem, injury.

If he is I can't imagine Liverpool will let him travel. 12 hours on a plane would be murder on his back :)

I think not letting him travel for international duty would be salting the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Gbear wrote: »
    I could've sworn Mahrez was 29.
    He's only 26.

It's about the same cost relative to the market and age profile as Lallana was at the time.

I would imagine that they expect Coutinho to come back into the side after the international break and given that we already have a lot of AM/Fs they'd have to be really special to be worth splashing out on.

I'm not sure either of Draxler or Mahrez are quite that.

Neither would be Phil type players alright but would be lallana type .. we need the bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think not letting him travel for international duty would be salting the earth.

There is a fine line between protecting someone and letting them walk all over your face in stillettos. Allowing coutinho to travel and play for his country while not playing for us and being paid handsomely to play for us, falls into the latter category.
    It would make Jenas look like an incisive reporter if we allowed that to unfold. Nuff said.

Would Mahrez not be a 'luxury' player? Kinda like Ozil in that he's great to have when 3 up against the lesser teams but pretty much playing with 10 when you have to try grind a result out.

• Advertisement

We can't block a player from International duty.

Unless we say he has a back injury and have the medical records to prove it but even then his Country's doctors have the right to review those records themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Would Mahrez not be a 'luxury' player? Kinda like Ozil in that he's great to have when 3 up against the lesser teams but pretty much playing with 10 when you have to try grind a result out.

Definitely a concern that he wouldn't work hard enough without the ball, pressing, covering his fullback etc. in fact that's the only thing that prevents it from being an absolute no brainer.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In terms of international football, I don't think we can stop him travelling if he wants to go if he is actually fit to play. Players who don't travel because they are injured, are usually exactly that, and agree with the club. Interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

It will look really bad if his back clears up for the Brazil match, then it flares up again straight after it. I think the word is brazen.

emo72 wrote: »
    It will look really bad if his back clears up for the Brazil match, then it flares up again straight after it. I think the word is brazen.

It's a much nicer word than the one I would use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We've looked really lacking in the middle of the pitch so far this season.

We're struggling to link attack with defence and sustain much pressure on the front.

You wouldn't want him for the grind, but if that's what a game has degenerated to, Plan A has already gone out the window.
    Breaking down teams like Palace and Watford and being able to comfortably hold on to possession to maintain pressure on them is something we've failed at and he could help with.

You don't have to play with a 10 or any kind of central attacking midfielder of course.
    We have the wingers, and now with Trent and Robertson, we might have the support for them.
    4-4-2 is a perfectly valid option. Rather than getting bogged down we can use the holdup play of the likes of Firmino, Sturridge and Solanke. Origi isn't great at it for his size. That or just get around the sides.

We have a lot of overlap what Mahrez would bring already and while it feels like we're light, Coutinho probably isn't a long term loss and should be back for the game after next.

I hope Liverpool are fining Coutinho. I hope they're explaining to Coutinho that if Barca really want him, they should show it without making comical offers and demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You telling us that you wouldn't take Ozil as an option in our squad?

monkey9 wrote: »
    I hope Liverpool are fining Coutinho. I hope they're explaining to Coutinho that if Barca really want him, they should show it without making comical offers and demands.

You think that the offers from Barca are comical?

Just saw a stat on Twitter that Wijnaldum has had less touches in the first 3 games combined than Robertson did yesterday alone. I realise the full backs get a lot of the ball but Wijnaldum has basically been invisible so far this season. Henderson was brutal again yesterday as well. Midfield is nearly as big a problem as defence which, in fairness looked ok yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

16m a year for 5 years and outlandishly difficult to achieve bonuses are serious?

Really?

16m a year for 5 years and outlandishly difficult to achieve bonuses are serious?

Really?

80m minimum is far from comical. Dress it up whatever way you want.

By the way, I am happy with the position that the club is taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

80m minimum is far from comical. Dress it up whatever way you want.

By the way, I am happy with the position that the club is taking.

There's a big difference between 80m and the same amount on the drip, in terms of the time value of money.

I've been wondering for a while to what extent we try a similar approach with our own bids for players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If Liverpool accept £80 million for Coutinho with potential, impossible, addons then FSG are an even bigger joke than I thought. Particularly in this transfer environment.

The club will never progress long term with them in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Barca are giving us a time-bound demand to sell our best player. In what orbit must you be to not consider that comical?

Essentially that demand is more for their fans than a hail Mary attempt at signing the player. They are shaken by PSG and are reeling about, spewing demands like an insolent Donald Trump at a World Trade meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just saw a stat on Twitter that Wijnaldum has had less touches in the first 3 games combined than Robertson did yesterday alone. I realise the full backs get a lot of the ball but Wijnaldum has basically been invisible so far this season. Henderson was brutal again yesterday as well. Midfield is nearly as big a problem as defence which, in fairness looked ok yesterday.

Robertson had the most touches of all players yesterday

Is it Henderson's job to find Wiji? Now you'd think it was but if he isn't doing so then it's not a shock he is ineffective.

So far we've seen Hendo+Can+Wiji, Hendo+Milner+Wiji and in a shorter spell Can+Milner+Wiji which as it happened was the mix that looked the best. What I'd like to see if no fresh bodies come in is Can+Grujic+Wiji, it might be a bit positionally "loose" but I suspect rather more effective at getting the ball threaded through the spine.

corwill wrote: »
    There's a big difference between 80m and the same amount on the drip, in terms of the time value of money.

I've been wondering for a while to what extent we try a similar approach with our own bids for players.

In terms of practicalities, yes, there is. It just so happens that we seem to know the specific terms of this deal in minute detail.

If you take a step back for a second, I suspect it doesn't differ too much from most sales or purchases that fall into the higher end of the spectrum.

Trying to stick to the point, no offer of 80m for Coutinho - regardless of payment terms - can be considered comical. Either way, 80m puts him into the top 5 transfer fees of all time where the 3 above him are within 15% and the first place is still an anomaly.

Prominent in my mind is why have the specific terms been leaked in this case?

garra wrote: »
    Barca are giving us a time-bound demand to sell our best player.

This bit certainly has a degree of absurdity about it.

Wijnaldum needs Coutinho or Lallana in there with him. He's great at getting the ball to them to launch an attack. When Henderson is constantly hitting cross field balls Wijnaldum is a bit redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The balance just isn't right in the midfield 3 at the moment due to no llalana or coutinho. Hopefully this is sorted by the time the window closes. If we can get to the end of the month with a minimum of 5 pts and a spot in the group stages of the CL. I'd be happy enough with the start all things considered and assuming we have a cb, coutinho and another player signed.

Wijnaldum is a ball to feet player and he is being bypassed by Henderson's Hollywood passing and left standing scratching his balls in midfield.

The midfield three should be Can, Wijnaldum along with Coutinho or Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Henderson had one of the highest pass accuracy and completions in the PL last year, and was still at the top of the list a good bit after he was injured.

This season he's nowhere near at it. Passing accuracy is down to something like 73% and the average length of his passes is higher than it should be too. Now, I don't want to be hyper critical after just two games, but he's definitely not performing close to even his usual standard in the PL thus far.

Edit: Here's a quick overview

BJwISU4.png

Can't argue with any of that.

Edit: All of the above points, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I think Hendo is not fully fit yet. Or maybe it's a confidence thing? Either way, he is slowing our midfield down.

• Advertisement

We should just play 4 4 2 while both lallana & coutinho are unavailable.

Lallana was great in midfield last year so is obviously missed.... if Mane & salah play as wingers as opposed to being in the front 3 we only need 2 of our current CM options to play.

Or if persisting with the 4 3 3 there are #10 ish options apart from lallana & coutinho.

I'm fearing Phil mightn't be great if he stays, not intentionally not great, just not great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement