Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    It's not actually £130m. I'd cross out all the add-ons and stipulations on the offer and then say no. 130m and one pound, cash, or **** off.

Or just **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How come there is not one other CB target for us. Seems silly, I'd buy a 30+ CB of quality for 15m if need be.

What are we trying to do with Midfield?

Is this likely

_______Mig_________

_Clyne_Matip_VVD_Bert

_Lallana_Keita_Coutinho_

__Salah_Firmino_Mane__

Is that our first team if they are signed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No starting place for Ernie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No starting place for Ernie?

Lucas should be in there as he's more likely to play for us now than Van Dijk or Keita :o

Kostas Manolas could be a VVD alternative. He is a highly regarded CB.

Roma want Sakho, we take Kostas.
    He's a passionate defender.

We'll surely bring in someone.... when window closes it'll be 4th one klopp was in charge for and he will be after being here for 70 pl games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Move over Daniel.
    Out for seven months:

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Lad on Arsenal fan tv not looking forward to next week's game and facing the black Suarez aka Mane. :v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Move over Daniel.
    Out for seven months:

Reminds me of Lua Lua when he was told not to do that celebration for Portsmouth because he would get injured, he scored against Arsenal, celebrated with the backflip and missed a bunch of games. Redknapp was less than pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote:
    We'll surely bring in someone.... when window closes it'll be 4th one klopp was in charge for and he will be after being here for 70 pl games.

Well we have Hoffenheim & then Arsenal. After that it's the international break so the window is literally closing on us soon.
    Linked with Oxlade Chamberlain according to the transfer/petty bickering thread. Hoping the talk of Klopp not wanting alternative targets are true there.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I used to kinda like Barcelona, then stuff happened with Suarez being the 'latest' at the time but I was still ok with them .

This latest bull**** has me hoping that get completely ducked over on everything they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

btw sack Karius

vbbG45Q.jpg

I've no idea how this is allowed.

Ive played low, low level AUL and UCFL for years any any nutritionist or otherwise qualified people associated with the clubs have gone as far as to say RB is absolutely terrible for you in a sporting context and to stick to glucose drinks if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surely its really bad for your heart to drink Red Bull and play sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Vicxas wrote: »
    Surely its really bad for your heart to drink Red Bull and play sport.

I know it's bad for my heart any time I watch him play in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes but Karius doesn't so much play sports as he merely stands there to make up the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Probably got some vodka in there too! :pac:

Reports are that City are getting ready to meet Messi's buyout clause! That would just be fantatstic!!! :pac:

Lets throw all our money at Suarez's buyout clause!! :pac:

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Reports are that City are getting ready to meet Messi's buyout clause! That would just be fantatstic!!! :pac:

Lets throw all our money at Suarez's buyout clause!! :pac:

I dont think we're on Barca's christmas card list this year somehow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, their deadline has passed. So I can assume we won't be hearing from them any more...? (Unless the Messi sale goes through in which case, silly money offers considered...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If Messi gets sold, Barca are in waaaay more trouble than Coutinho can fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

noodler wrote: »
    I've no idea how this is allowed.

Ive played low, low level AUL and UCFL for years any any nutritionist or otherwise qualified people associated with the clubs have gone as far as to say RB is absolutely terrible for you in a sporting context and to stick to glucose drinks if anything.

Maybe its part of the deal to buy that guy Keita from RB Leipzig, a bit of free advertising for the parent company here and there, and they'll sell us their star man.

We'll not really be drinking Red Bull, just drinking from Red Bull cans!!

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maybe its part of the deal to buy that guy Keita from RB Leipzig, a bit of free advertising for the parent company here and there, and they'll sell us their star man.

We'll not really be drinking Red Bull, just drinking from Red Bull cans!!

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

what were the odds on Karius drinking a can of red bull on the bench beofre the game started...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Imagine Man City got Messi, I would have a crywank.... :)

It looks photoshopped.

w6m3ZxU.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Most outlets in Spain reporting Barcelona have dropped interest in Coutinho and see any transfer impossible after having 3 bids rejected.

The Happy Meal quote...Was from a Reddit user not Klopp and the media picked it up.

The Happy Meal quote...Was from a Reddit user not Klopp and the media picked it up.

Yep...

Donald Trump would be proud of this fake news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Assuming nothing else changes (and who knows these days!) it looks like Coutinho will be staying.

I've followed the club long enough to know that no player is irreplaceable, or more important than the club, but I'll be happy if he stays. Firstly because it's nice to say no to another club and mean it, and show that we're at least trying to build our team and not jump when big money is waved in front of us. And secondly, as a lot of people have said here, we just wouldn't end up replacing him properly, especially in the next 10 days. Hopefully, hopefully, he will buckle down and get back to his job and we'll get a great season out of him, and then he'll probably be gone next year.

So I'm back to a post I made a while ago, if we can get a decent CB in (who knows what's going on with VVD at this stage?) then it won't be a bad window. Not as good as we might have hoped/expected, but Robertson, Salah and a CB isn't terrible either, and Solanke looks promising too.

That said, I could easily see no new signings at all before the window closes as well, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Damn it...

Still sounds like something he would have said!

Trump will hopefully get rid of all the fake news online... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    Most outlets in Spain reporting Barcelona have dropped interest in Coutinho and see any transfer impossible after having 3 bids rejected.

And they'll be reporting it's back on next week.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And they'll be reporting it's back on next week.

Of course, its part of the game, get Coutinho to agitate further for the move by telling him its off. Don't see the club bending though.

jasonb wrote: »
    Assuming nothing else changes (and who knows these days!) it looks like Coutinho will be staying.

I've followed the club long enough to know that no player is irreplaceable, or more important than the club, but I'll be happy if he stays. Firstly because it's nice to say no to another club and mean it, and show that we're at least trying to build our team and not jump when big money is waved in front of us. And secondly, as a lot of people have said here, we just wouldn't end up replacing him properly, especially in the next 10 days. Hopefully, hopefully, he will buckle down and get back to his job and we'll get a great season out of him, and then he'll probably be gone next year.

So I'm back to a post I made a while ago, if we can get a decent CB in (who knows what's going on with VVD at this stage?) then it won't be a bad window. Not as good as we might have hoped/expected, but Robertson, Salah and a CB isn't terrible either, and Solanke looks promising too.

That said, I could easily see no new signings at all before the window closes as well, unfortunately.

I think it's been a dreadful window, even if Coutinho stays. We ran out of puff after Christmas last year; had key pinpointed weaknesses and depth issues; have the addition of 8 (we hope) draining CL games before Christmas this time round.

We needed multiple key centerpiece acquisitions, and just made one.

A starting CB and Central Midfielder between now and the end of the window would change my view, but they have to happen.

I think it's been a dreadful window, even if Coutinho stays. We ran out of puff after Christmas last year; had key pinpointed weaknesses and depth issues; have the addition of 8 (we hope) draining CL games before Christmas this time round.

A starting CB and Central Midfielder between now and the end of the window would change my view, but they have to happen.

I'm still hoping there will be big movement by Thursday if and when we are qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's all ok as we're making money now and and it's not FSG's, who saved us from bankruptcy, fault that other clubs won't sell us the players we want and Klopp only wants certain players.

Why would we want players that can have us challenging for trophies whilst we can have nice new sponsors on our jerseys, official donuts and a better balance sheet than 2010?

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm still hoping there will be big movement by Thursday if and when we are qualified.

Im hoping this too, I think we should raid Ajax for Ziyech and then make a last ditch effort for Van Djik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I agree that it's not been great, especially as we entered the summer with high hopes. And I don't think Coutinho staying makes the window better (even though him leaving would clearly make it worse), if that makes sense? Hanging on to your own players shouldn't be the measure of a good window!

I'd be very happy if we got a CB and CM, and I suppose that VVD and Kieta were meant to be those two positions for us. Rightly or wrongly (and I think I'm leaning towards slightly wrongly at the minute), the strategy seems to be 'we get these specific players, or no-one', so unless something changes with VVD soon, we could easily end up with no-one else. If it stays like this, I don't think it's a dreadful one, more a disappointing one. If we get a good CB, it becomes a good one in my mind, somewhat ignoring the hopes we had a couple of months ago.

Our bench has looked pretty light recently, thought obviously Coutinho and Lallana coming back help that a little...

Hey Lloyd, who would be your alternatives if we can't land Keita and VVD?

I see Juve are trying to get Strootman from Roma.

Also from Roma nobody seems interested in Nainggolan this year. He's 29 so maybe clubs think he's already peaked?

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's all ok as we're making money now and and it's not FSG's, who saved us from bankruptcy, fault that other clubs won't sell us the players we want and Klopp only wants certain players.

Why would we want players that can have us challenging for trophies whilst we can have nice new sponsors on our jerseys, official donuts and a better balance sheet than 2010?

:confused:

You're putting the bad transfer window on the owners who reportedly went to 75 million pounds for Keita but were turned down by RB.

Southampton won't do business either for VVD.

It's up to Klopp to say who else he wants. If he doesn't want any one else that's hardly FSG's fault. IF they only cared about the money Coutinho would already be gone.

Mmmmm donuts I would love a Dunkin' Donut right about now.

Why can't they come back to Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

FSG have a poor track record of signing our top targets. There are many reasons for this but I think that should be the main criticism.

This window has been poor enough, but thats down to Klopp, mainly due to the lack of quality brought in at CB and CM. Still time to rectify it though. I dont think we'll add anymore tbh but 1 signing at CB is absolutely needed and will end up costing us if we don't recruit someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

murpho999 wrote: »

Complaining1503317911.jpg

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Hey Lloyd, who would be your alternatives if we can't land Keita and VVD?

It doesn't really matter what I think on that score, but I see a player like Blase Matuidi going for a little over the £20m mark upfront last week and it indicates that players who possess qualities we can use are available. Howedes is apparently available, he'd make us better and should fit well with Matip. Draxler is apparently available and he's potentially a centre piece talent. In both cases, the money required will amount to a lot less than what we've already bid unsuccessfully for Keita and VVD.

If Klopp is locking himself into targets with a tunnel vision effect that is distinctly problematic. We need improvement and the added depth that come when you make 40+ game starters from last year ~25 game back ups this year. We'll regret it if we don't, just as we almost missed out on CL last year because of the failure to sign players in the January window.

............even if Coutinho stays. .......................

I agree largely with your entire post. Fingers crossed Coutinho does stay. Whatever about a CB I don't think we'll get a starting CM in unless Keita is landed, and he won't be.

Klopp's comments in the media chats seem to be telling enough at times, Milner a new CM option par example.

Milner is like Can and Henderson IMO, only one of the 3 should play in midfield at any one time, with both Lallana and Coutinho out we'll see 2 of that 3 play for the foreseeable future.

Wij' seems to get a bit of a pass as Coutinho is out, not having Coutinho or Lallana ahead of you has a big impact on the deepest midfielder too of course.

w6m3_Zx_U.jpg

Now it's Photoshopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The main issue is, I can see Liverpool being actually quite competitive this season, it won't be disastrous and it won't be amazing but it could potentially be very good.

This is the most disappointing thing, the club could be so close to winning something but won't because of the decisions made during the summer.

*Provided there isn't anyone else brought in and even if VVD is signed.

Don't forget that Lucas is gone and, while he had detractors on here, everyone should be able to agree that he was a contrast tactical option and CB cover. We also have lost Lallana for potentially the entirety of the CL group stage. To not fill those gaps is irresponsible.

You'll never know exactly who is to blame (or to be credited) for decisions with regards to choosing players and closing the deals. But in business you can't only have Plan A. It won't be acceptable to me come September 1st for people to be shrugging their shoulders and saying 'oh well, we couldn't get Southampton and Leipzig to take outlandish figures - what can you do?' We needed to engage Plan B.

NukaCola wrote: »
    FSG have a poor track record of signing our top targets. There are many reasons for this but I think that should be the main criticism. ..............

I dunno ........... we didn't get Sanchez obviously. There'd be an element of we might be aiming too high with some targets though.

I can't remember who last summer's top targets were but Wij and Mane are better than good IMO.

It's amazing to think we don't have other CM and CB targets in mind apart from Keita and Virgil.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

We needed to engage Plan B.
    Augeo wrote: »
    I can't remember who last summer's top targets were but Wij and Mane are better than good IMO.

Last year the Wijnaldum signing seemed to come out of nowhere and seemed to be a plan B option

I am hoping (though not very hopeful) of something similar for this year
    We need another CB and MF option

Otherwise what started as optimism that we could move forward at the start of the transfer window will end with us struggling to stand still this season and standing still should have been our minimum target for this season and progress in itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lucas at the club - Coutinho happy.

Lucas leaves - Coutinho transfer request.

Coincidence? Absolutely, yes. But its fun to speculate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement