Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't forget that Lucas is gone and, while he had detractors on here, everyone should be able to agree that he was a contrast tactical option and CB cover. ...............

I'd have thought we'd have brought in someone to replace Lucas. Presumably Grujic might be the extra body as he was unavailable most of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dogbert27 wrote: »
    :confused:

You're putting the bad transfer window on the owners who reportedly went to 75 million pounds for Keita but were turned down by RB.

Southampton won't do business either for VVD.

It's up to Klopp to say who else he wants. If he doesn't want any one else that's hardly FSG's fault. IF they only cared about the money Coutinho would already be gone.

Putting bids in and not getting a deal over the line is not a success in my eyes.

Why won't Southampton sell us VVD? Because FSG's people made a mess of the whole deal.

I'm willing to wait until the transfer window closes but it's possible that we'll another net spend profit.
    As things stand we've let more players go than have come in when at end of last season we all said we needed more squad depth.

Complaining1503317911.jpg

It's not complaining but pointing out facts. Also, what do you think I can actually do about it?

Another fact is that FSG's reign has been one of the most trophyless periods in the club's recent history.

But it's ok as people still believe that FSG are knight's in shining armour that rescued the club from bankruptcy.

Truth is they only did it as a business decision, got the club at a knockdown price and now have an asset that must be worth over £1bn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not complaining but pointing out facts.

Another fact is that FSG's reign has been one of the most trophyless periods in the club's recent history.

But it's ok as people still believe that FSG are knight's in shining armour that rescued the club from bankruptcy.

Truth is they only did it as a business decision, got the club at a knockdown price and now have an asset that must be worth over £1bn.

What did we win under Hicks & Gillett? How many finals did we get to with them?

Every owner of every club buys the club as a business decision. It's naieve to think otherwise.

What did we win under Hicks & Gillett? How many finals did we get to with them?

Every owner of every club buys the club as a business decision. It's naieve to think otherwise.

We got to a Champion's League final.

Why are you comparing them to H&G anyway?

They arrived saying that they are winners and money is not an object and I don't think they have lived up to that so far.

• Advertisement

Another fact is that FSG's reign has been one of the most trophyless periods in the club's recent history.....................

True, no doubt.
    We got to a Champion's League final.........

Still though, Klopp got us to EL final in first season here. We came not too far away from winning a league with Brendy and Suarez & Co.

An FA cup or League cup would be nice of course but if we won a domestic cup every season it still wouldn't cut the mustard, IMO.

PL & CL is where we need to be challenging IMO

Why are you comparing them to H&G anyway?............

To be fair you started the ole periods in the club's recent history speel :)

Putting bids in and not getting a deal over the line is not a success in my eyes.

Why won't Southampton sell us VVD? Because FSG's people made a mess of the whole deal.

I'm willing to wait until the transfer window closes but it's possible that we'll another net spend profit.
    As things stand we've let more players go than have come in when at end of last season we all said we needed more squad depth.

Where did I mention not getting deals done as a success?

Southampton won't sell to us because apparently Klopp met with VVD and was texting him about tactics for next season.

How is that FSG's people making a mess of things?

We got to a Champion's League final.

Why are you comparing them to H&G anyway?

They arrived saying that they are winners and money is not an object and I don't think they have lived up to that so far.

We got to a Champions League final in May 2007. They took over in February 2007. They had absolutely no influence on getting us there in terms of investment at that point in time.

I'm comparing them to H&G because you said that under FSG it's been the most trophyless period in the clubs recent history!!!!

You made the first comparison! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv no problem not getting our top targets but is nonsense to then just sign no one,
    Lakaku wasn't United first choice either was Matic and they signed them to improve the team and we can surely find players to improve ours,
    I also think sticking with Sturridge is stupid, he's not a top class player, Has had one good season in his life when he got 24 goals , next closest is 11 in all comps,
    We need a proper goalscorer and not being over relyiant on Mane and Salah

We got to a Champions League final in May 2007. They took over in February 2007. They had absolutely no influence on getting us there in terms of investment at that point in time.

I'm comparing them to H&G because you said that under FSG it's been the most trophyless period in the clubs recent history!!!!

You made the first comparison! :rolleyes:

I never compared them directly to H&G.

But we all knew during their reign that they were a disaster. Nobody would have been defending them at the time after H&G fell out.

FSG though seem to be above criticism or questioning by some posters here as they are seen as saints who rescued the club and I don't think that is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Are fsg better owners than H&G? Definitely yes. However the bar wasn't raised particularly high by H&G to begin with. Are FSG good owners for our club if we want to win major trophies? I don't know, but would hazard a guess at no. Failure to get deals over the line is worrying me. Bet your life united and city will get it done. Our owners say money is not a problem. Doesn't look like that right now.

Where did I mention not getting deals done as a success?

Southampton won't sell to us because apparently Klopp met with VVD and was texting him about tactics for next season.

How is that FSG's people making a mess of things?

So you don't think FSG are involved in anyway? That they wouldn't have given Klopp the green light to talk to the player?

FSG definitely have to bear some responsibility for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Twitter is going nuts as Van Djik is training with the Southampton U23's.

That's probably the end of that then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's not just FSG fault that there's not been a trophy. We've been to finals but can't get over the line.

Unfortunately by the time the club was stabilized we were quite a way off the other contenders and we also had to deal with a strong Spurs and the cash injection into Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Snippets from James Pearce:
    Liverpool are ready to pounce if Southampton’s stance over Virgil van Dijk changes during the final 10 days of the transfer window.

However, if the Reds can’t secure the services of the £60million-rated Dutch centre-back then Jurgen Klopp is highly unlikely to sign an alternative.

If the Reds don’t land Van Dijk then Klopp will press ahead with Joel Matip, Dejan Lovren, Ragnar Klavan and Joe Gomez as his four centre-back options for this season.

One player who certainly won’t be Anfield bound is Julian Draxler.

Paris Saint-Germain are open to offers for the Germany international following their world record £200million swoop for Neymar and Liverpool have been linked with a move for him.

Klopp was interested in the left-sided attacker last season and held talks with him, but Draxler turned down the Reds when he left Wolfsburg and signed for PSG instead in January.

Liverpool have no intention of going back in for him as that isn’t an area of the squad Klopp is looking to strengthen.

With summer signings Mohamed Salah and Dominic Solanke on board, Klopp is happy with the options he’s got in terms of his front three.

The Reds boss is though still open to bolstering his ranks in centre-midfield. Liverpool have been left short in that area by injuries to Coutinho and Adam Lallana .

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-ready-pounce-hoedt-deal-13507146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So no Draxler or attacking player to be signed, and no CB to be signed other than VVD. Only interest outside of VVD is in perhaps bringing in a CM.

I think Klopp is mental if he thinks that is acceptable, tbh. I mean, I understood it last January when he felt the right players weren't available. But we can't keep just targeting one or two players and then remaining standstill if they don't come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

giphy-3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I hope it works out, i have zero sympathy for him if it doesn't. A ridiculous situation to put yourself in.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I hope it works out.............

If he doesn't land Virgil and doesn't bring in any other CB and also doesn't utilise Sakho (Pearce doesn't mention Sakho) ........... and doesn't bring in a CM ............ he really will be a WORLD CLASS manager if he gets us Top4 again and into the knock out stages of the CL.

I'll just add that I'm not at all convinced Virgil would improve us to a huge degree, he's probably better than Lovren though if the injury didn't take much out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Knex. wrote: »
    So no Draxler or attacking player to be signed, and no CB to be signed other than VVD. Only interest outside of VVD is in perhaps bringing in a CM.

I think Klopp is mental if he thinks that is acceptable, tbh. I mean, I understood it last January when he felt the right players weren't available. But we can't keep just targeting one or two players and then remaining standstill if they don't come through.

Yeah even if Coutinho stays it will have been a ridiculous waste of a transfer window after getting CL football. Salah looks good and Solanke and Robertson are promising even though we didn't really pay all that much for them and could have got them with our without CL football.

Serious questions will have to be asked if that's all we do to strengthen the squad though. Feels like we're standing still while others are improving. Granted Spurs haven't done much but I think Chelsea will have a late splurge before the window closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I cant understand it, the CB and CM situation is actually weaker with the sale of Lucas. That squad broke down by January last year with only the domestic competitions to contend with, it is ****ed with Europe and outside of the front 3 and Coutinho the quality is nowhere near good enough for Europe.

Is this really Klopp's decision or FSG's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

they will have to buy 2 players,surely we wont take a step forward and two back again,think ill give up if that happens,where is the 'push on'..

there is no time to dawdle these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

murpho999 wrote:

But here is the thing. What exactly have FSG done (or not done), to make you believe they are here for profit and have not been anything but good for the club?

They saved the club from going bust
    That is a fact. No one wanted to buy the club other than that lad Morgan who ended up buying hull (I think. Could be wrong about who he bought). Fact is nobody wanted to buy us with our debt, never mind meet the asking price of the two gombeens.

Then there is investment. They gave Kenny our biggest ever transfer budget for it to be squandered. I agree our net spend hasn't been great but the evidence looks like klopp doesn't want to spend rather than FSG. We tried to break our transfer record 3 times in this window.

They invested in the stadium and surroundings. We talked about expanding 17 years ago and it was FSG who finally did it. That is two other owner ships that failed to deliver.

They said money was no object* but also said they want he club up be self sufficient. Using Boston as an example they allow their teams to generate their own funds to spend. They don't take above normal returns. Look at United and arsenal. Their board members take significant returns every year. I'm not saying our board are saints, I'm saying that we ain't exactly being used.

If you can give one undisputed example which is a fact, that FSG are bad for Liverpool, I'll take your argument seriously. But all I see so far is jealous fans who want FSG to spend heir own money on building a man city style empire. The fact is they don't have that kind of disposable income and recent history proves we could do a lot worse than owners who allow us to spend 40-70 million on 1 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Another Monday comes and goes with no new transfer news. I just want to get the CL qualification sorted at this stage.
    I'm just hoping things then take off transfer-wise because I can't see any plan atm.

Yeah even if Coutinho stays it will have been a ridiculous waste of a transfer window after getting CL football. Salah looks good and Solanke and Robertson are promising even though we didn't really pay all that much for them and could have got them with our without CL football.

While I too would like more signings, it is ridiculous to suggest we have no really strengthened just because of the amount spent. We broke our transfer record to sign Salah who is better than "good", and Robertson who looks like he could be the best crosser of the ball since Gerrard. He doesn't look too bad defending either. Just knocks it to row z when needed.

Solanke is young and is a good addition regardless.

My point is talking about how much players cost is bollox. Who is our best defender right now? How much did he cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well, if James Pearce is ITK, then I'm resigned to the fact that we won't be buying anyone else this window. Which is very disappointing. I do think we have improved the squad with who we've bought, but we haven't improved it enough. As someone said earlier, it's frustrating, 'cos we could be good this year, and not getting a couple of more players (just a couple, not lots) will restrict how good we will be I fear.

I'm also not sure about this whole 'is it FSG's or Klopp's fault' argument? I haven't read/seen any signs of a fallout between them, which to me means that they're both (FSG and Klopp) following the same strategy, and they're effectively the same entity, the club, not two different factions (Klopp or FSG). Key targets have been identified, money was made available, for different reasons we haven't got them, and there doesn't seem to be backup targets that have been identified. If that's the strategy, then in my opinion it's the club's strategy, not Klopp's, not FSG's, but the club's, and the club is to blame if the strategy fails...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Club made a right mess of the van dijk deal and i reckon Klopp is still furious and this is why he wants them to rectify it and sign him.

If not then whoever in the club leaked the news to the press needs to be handed their p45 come September 1st.

Such optimism from May has completely evaporated now. A few injuries and we are ****ed. Getting painful flashbacks of the summer of 2014 and our failures to kick on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know there is a cohort which is happy to blame FSG for....everything really but when it comes to the squad I'm ready to believe it's down to Klopp and him alone. The reason why is in the man's character. He really does have a sunny outlook and an unswerving belief in the power of coaching and hugs. He expects any player he nurtures to become a better player and if that means taking low grade base metal like Moreno so be it. He thinks he can do something to improve the overall squad, so Milner is now a CM again and no doubt Klopp will be confident he can give him new life that role. I'm quite sure he'll be talking up Grujic in particular this season, while even suggesting that Ings can play a valuable role. Hopefully that is the case - the Cups would be good for him while the manager clearly likes Solanke already.

Now maybe he is over-reaching esp the way the league now has a "big six" and maybe seven with Evertons spend but I've a feeling we're going to have to suspend disbelief and hope in the power of Klopp until we have genuine reason to think otherwise - obviously all this will be dust if Hoffenheim win 2-0/3-1 on Wednesday!

ricero wrote:
    Such optimism from May has completely evaporated now. A few injuries and we are ****ed. Getting painful flashbacks of the summer of 2014 and our failures to kick on

I think the problem is like 2014. We get back to the CL and the top tier players still don't wanna come here until we prove we are not just tourists. We need to show we can stay in the CL before they will come here.

I believe that Klopp won't sign "second choice" players because the players he identified are the ones that will suit his style. While frustrating, I'd rather that than sign players for the sake of it that will just be a waste of money and end up being Moreno's that everyone gives out about and wants gone from the club.

Numbers wise we have a big squad. It's just when you look at situations such as sakho, Marko, the two Danny's, flanno and coutinho, that you see for different reasons why we could struggle. But how many teams have 5 strikers fighting for 1 spot. Then we have 3 potential number 10's. We have 5 wingers, We have 5 center backs, 6 players who can play full back, 4 center mids and 3 keepers. That isn't even including the fact that some of these lads can play multiple positions.

*my numbers might be off by one here or there but I'm sure we have actually more than I have counted.

I am not saying our squad is strong. I am saying we have a full squad. If klopp thinks that using the players at his disposal is better than signing second choice players, then who am I to judge. He is a world class manager and I am good at FIFA! (imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Mr.H wrote: »
    They said money was no bonkers

I don't know what this means, but I agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I blame Gerrard for not texting enough players to come join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't care either how much we spend as long as quality is brought in for problem/weak positions. I can be as excited about Robertson or Solanke as VVD or Keita, I trust Klopp to identify a player, all his signings so far regardless of fee have looked the part.

Mane and Wiji were 2nd choice last season and one is outstanding and the other isn't too shabby either.

If this is honestly Klopp's decision fair enough, but he will live and die by it so to speak.

tinpib wrote: »
    I don't know what this means, but I agree 100%.

Haha yea I was typing that on my phone so missed the auto correct :D

was suppose to be "money was no object" (not money was no bonkers) haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What happened ? Was there a statement or something from the club/Klopp ?

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't care either how much we spend as long as quality is brought in for problem/weak positions. I can be as excited about Robertson or Solanke as VVD or Keita, I trust Klopp to identify a player, all his signings so far regardless of fee have looked the part.

Mane and Wiji were 2nd choice last season and one is outstanding and the other isn't too shabby either.

If this is honestly Klopp's decision fair enough, but he will live and die by it so to speak.

I wonder if he see's a couple of more youngsters stepping up and being good enough to be that "back up option" to signing VVD and Keita?

I mean I would love a couple of new players but what if the likes of Gomez, Grujic, Kent and Woodburn stepped up this year? Maybe a couple of them will go out on loan but who knows if we dont get new singings?

Id rather keep them here and let them fight for a spot. We have plenty of games this year that they can play part in

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »
    What happened ? Was there a statement or something from the club/Klopp ?

No its just the usual "FSG are good for liverpool vs. FSG are bad for Liverpool" crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

While I too would like more signings, it is ridiculous to suggest we have no really strengthened just because of the amount spent. We broke our transfer record to sign Salah who is better than "good", and Robertson who looks like he could be the best crosser of the ball since Gerrard. He doesn't look too bad defending either. Just knocks it to row z when needed.

My point is talking about how much players cost is bollox. Who is our best defender right now? How much did he cost?

I'd like to see them reinvest some money in the club so that our 2nd choice central defender isn't Dejan Lovren and our 3rd choice Klavan. And also in midfield where we have two injury prone players in Henderson and Lallana. One of whom is already injured again.

We made a profit in the past 3 transfer windows and have spent a pretty modest amount so far in this one. I'd like the club to show some ambition to be honest. It's not about quantity as we have quantity in most positions but we are lacking quality in a few places.

Now maybe it's Klopp. Maybe's it's FSG. I just don't know but the squad as currently constituted won't be back in the Champions League next season IMO. Unless we are extremely lucky with injuries.

I'd like to see them reinvest some money in the club so that our 2nd choice central defender isn't Dejan Lovren and our 3rd choice Klavan. And also in midfield where we have two injury prone players in Henderson and Lallana. One of whom is already injured again.

We made a profit in the past 3 transfer windows and have spent a pretty modest amount so far in this one. I'd like the club to show some ambition to be honest. It's not about quantity as we have quantity in most positions but we are lacking quality in a few places.

Now maybe it's Klopp. Maybe's it's FSG. I just don't know but the squad as currently constituted won't be back in the Champions League next season IMO. Unless we are extremely lucky with injuries.

this is it though, we will be out of champions league next season and you will have supporters calling for Klopps head and then we hire another manager and the never ending cycle of ****e continues.

FSG have done a lot of good for the club but i think its time they sell up and let some owners come in who will go out and secure world class players no matter what the cost is.

I agree and Im sure everyone does. We would all like to see the club spend the money and not save for a rainy day.

Ok so here is how I have been thinking. You know the way we looked like we were set to spend loads of money this summer. 40 million on Salah, 10 on Robertson, 70 ish (give or take) on both Keita and VVD. Plus the fee for Solanke. That is approx 200 million!!! Now I am not stating fact, just pure opinion. I feel like the club (or Klopp) had held back from spending in the last year because he wanted to used those funds this summer when we had CL football. Obviously we wouldnt attract Salah without it (we wouldnt its a fact). Now the other transfers didnt work out but that is down to other factors. It is not down to lack of trying.

While we could get alternative players, why would we do that?

Here are more facts.

Kieta is available next summer and VVD is available (but not in this window). We can still get them if we dont spend waste our money

ricero wrote: »
    this is it though, we will be out of champions league next season and you will have supporterscalling for Klopps head and then we hire another manager and the never ending cycle of ****e continues.

FSG have done a lot of good for the club but i think its time they sell up and let some owners come in who will go out and secure world class players no matter what the cost is.

No guarantee though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Overall the transfer situation is not ideal but a couple of things to keep in mind.

It hasn't been a great window for Spurs or Arsenal either, we aren't the only ones .

And if Klopp believes it's better to get no one then getting second best then I will support him.

Take a look at who we bought in 2013/14

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1563&teamTabs=transfers

Nearly all those players were bang average. Did nothing for the first team really, regardless of how well they did after they moved on. I was getting sick and tired of Liverpool settling for second best.

If it means we have to wait an extra 12 months to get the players Klopp wants then so be it. He has a very long contract, he is looking long term. No point wasting money on players that won't improve the first team, plus as we know FSG hate spending money on wages.

Could be a bumpy season though.

I agree and Im sure everyone does. We would all like to see the club spend the money and not save for a rainy day.

Ok so here is how I have been thinking. You know the way we looked like we were set to spend loads of money this summer. 40 million on Salah, 10 on Robertson, 70 ish (give or take) on both Keita and VVD. Plus the fee for Solanke. That is approx 200 million!!! Now I am not stating fact, just pure opinion. I feel like the club (or Klopp) had held back from spending in the last year because he wanted to used those funds this summer when we had CL football. Obviously we wouldnt attract Salah without it (we wouldnt its a fact). Now the other transfers didnt work out but that is down to other factors. It is not down to lack of trying.

While we could get alternative players, why would we do that?

Here are more facts.

Kieta is available next summer and VVD is available (but not in this window). We can still get them if we dont spend waste our money

but if we fail to qualify for champions league then we have no chance of getting them next summer

ricero wrote: »
    but if we fail to qualify for champions league then we have no chance of getting them next summer

Its true. But if we sign alternative players then we dont need them yet will have a lesser standard of player (at least in Klopps eyes)

I just hope Klopp knows what he is doing. All we have is hope buddy.

Plus part if me thinks we arent getting as much transfer gossip because the club is keeping its cards close to its chest right now considering the VVD issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

We kept a 100million rated player today if you believe everything you read. A serious statement of intent from the club if true and it makes it a good transfer window.

I suppose it all boils down to what people's expectations are are whether they think the squad can meet them.

At the current state, I think Liverpool will finish 5th or 6th in the league. The squad is too thin in too many areas and the midfield and defence aren't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

sword1 wrote: »
    We kept a 100million rated player today if you believe everything you read. A serious statement of intent from the club if true and it makes it a good transfer window.

Yeah, but that just sounds better than it is. Yes, it's great to keep Coutinho (If he doesnt sulk for long) but we need more. We just need more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really think Mignolet isn't getting enough credit for the improvement in his game since he has come back into the team.

Clyne, Robertson, Matip & Ragnar will be steady Eddie fullbacks and solid and lets be honest that what we all want from the whole defence.

Gomez & TAA are good young understudies.

Lovren if he dropped the billybigballs attitude which I don'tsee happening would also be a solid back up.

Attack wise I do think we are strong although I would like to see one more pacy winger (Moreno?)

Where we really are struggling is in CM if we don't get at the very least one I'd like three signing there we will struggle.

We will be competing for 3rd, 4th, 5th this season with this squad as is, the two Manchester Club will competing for 1st and 2nd I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I'll concede that we have "strengthened" our squad but not with Klopp signings.
    A left-footed LB and a speedy attacking winger were necessary signings and Solanke is a moneyball prospect. These were all probably picked by the committee. I'd argue, with Lucas gone, that a DM is now necessary.

As Harry said faith in Klopp will be needed this year. I can understand the VVD only stance for CB, but a few midfielders are needed even assuming Klopp will use the fringe players.

As I said previously I've no clue how the transfer committee and Klopp are targeting players but I'd be stunned if the DM "hole" is not addressed before the window closes.

It's the injuries that will kill Liverpool. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I really think Mignolet isn't getting enough credit for the improvement in his game since he has come back into the team.

Clyne, Robertson, Matip & Ragnar will be steady Eddie fullbacks and solid and lets be honest that what we all want from the whole defence.

Gomez & TAA are good young understudies.

Lovren if he dropped the billybigballs attitude which I don'tsee happening would also be a solid back up.

Attack wise I do think we are strong although I would like to see one more pacy winger (Moreno?)

Where we really are struggling is in CM if we don't get at the very least one I'd like three signing there we will struggle.

We will be competing for 3rd, 4th, 5th this season with this squad as is, the two Manchester Club will competing for 1st and 2nd I think.

I agree with this assessment and it is possible that this season will prepare the foundation for Keita and co. coming next season. Maybe that is what Klopp is planning. He really doesn't do short term, which does frustrate some of us naturally with the lack of players coming in, but he is a patient guy for sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement