Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Of course they are.

Barca are like a spoiled child used to getting there own way and if they don't the throw attention seeking hissy fits.

This is exactly what it is, "HOW DARE THEY SAY NO TO THE MIGHT BARCELONA"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's just getting embarrassing for Barcelona at this stage. By refusing their offer we've gone from 113 million to 138 million in less than a week.

I want us to keep refusing to see how high we can make them go. We should be targeting the Neymar money!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It's just getting embarrassing for Barcelona at this stage. By refusing their offer we've gone from 113 million to 138 million in less than a week.

I want us to keep refusing to see how high we can make them go. We should be targeting the Neymar money!! :)

We shouldn't stop until they have a word with Suarez telling him he's going the other way.

As well as the Neymar money, obviously. He's past his peak after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely intentional, I'm guessing the reason he isn't playing is that Liverpool fear a pitch invasion from President Pique' to put a Barcelona jersey on him.

And Klopp running after him trying to stop it. Stick the Benny Hill theme on that and you could make it a decent pay per view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

However, are Southampton preferring for his departure by signing fellow centre-back Hoedt?

As if the article wasn't **** enough

In the Indo as well..............

"Barcelona are expected to launch a fourth and final bid to sign Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho imminently and their latest offer may finally take the up-front payment beyond the £100m mark in an overall deal worth a staggering £138m"

That'll test our resolve IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

kfallon wrote: »
    Is there any substance to these Howedes rumours, have to say I'd be very happy to get him.

Well he's available on a free, so he's probably caught the club's eye.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Well he's available on a free, so he's probably caught the club's eye.

20m is the fee being bandied about, not free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Honestly if Barca are prepared to hand over £101m in cash lump sum upfront and the add-ons were very reachable I would be very tempted to sell him.

We could then test both Red Bull and Southampton's reslove with lump sum payments in full for their players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"you have until Saturday to accept our bid or we're going to withdraw it and offer more money"

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/900128861366648833

We've been Rick Rolled.

But that's perfect anyway. See Phil, they will be back in next summer.

5starpool wrote: »
    20m is the fee being bandied about, not free.

Ah. Could have sworn I saw his contract had expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Honestly if Barca are prepared to hand over £101m in cash lump sum upfront and the add-ons were very reachable I would be very tempted to sell him.

We could then test both Red Bull and Southampton's reslove with lump sum payments in full for their players.

Be stupid to sell him. Why should we be even more weaker going into the new season?

FSG need to keep rejecting these bids and will gain some respect by the fans and other clubs in doing so. Keep him for the season and sell him next summer with the replacement already lined up and ready to go

ricero wrote: »
    Be stupid to sell him. Why should we be even more weaker going into the new season?

FSG need to keep rejecting these bids and will gain some respect by the fans and other clubs in doing so. Keep him for the season and sell him next summer with the replacement already lined up and ready to go

Yup. Even more reason to keep him now. Barca are making a show of themselves scrambling to sign a replacement for a huge player with a week left in the window, and that becomes our problem if Phil goes. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's a great price for him but they should really only accept it once they know they have a decent replacement and CB.

As much as I'd hate to see a player of Coutinho's quality leave our team, it would pain me even more just to see Barca getting their way.

I imagine this is how Southampton feel about us and VVD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

ricero wrote: »

Absolutely agree with this. Barcelona will be back next Summer so they can wait till then. His price will only get higher. It's too late to find his replacement now anyway. That will give us a whole season to source some targets. If Coutinho knows he'll be leaving in the summer let him get the head down and become even better. It's a win-win all around. We get one final season with him then sell him for crazy amount of money; Barcelona get their man; and we as fans give him our blessing when he leaves.

Knex. wrote: »
    As much as I'd hate to see a player of Coutinho's quality leave our team, it would pain me even more just to see Barca getting their way.

Barcelona will always get their way unfortunately. Bullies usually do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I don't think the price will get higher. It's madness. I hope we keep him and he gets himself back in the form he showed for a while last year.

But I can't see anything like that offer coming again. It's desperation stuff from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

This offer won't be there next summer. So that's the decision take it now as compensation for being so late in the window or reject it and sell him for less next summer. Personally I'd like them to reject it and also for City to meet Messi,s release clause this week just to see Barcelona in complete meltdown. This tactic of making offers just before games is a ****ty way to do business but that's Barca.

• Advertisement

I'd rather sell him for 90m next year, with a replacement lined up in plenty of time, than sell him for 150m this year, tbh.

Easy for me to say though. A 60m fall off is fairly massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£101m cash up front builds the Anfield Road extension without getting loans and leaves you with about £50m cash still to put back into the squad.

That's crazy money to turn down I don't want to lose Coutinho but that is very very tempting.

Fair play to FSG if they do and hopefully that will stop all the talk of FSG only being in this for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Blondie919 wrote: »

If that was the case, theyd have gotten him ages ago.

Also, the words coming out of Coutinho's camp regarding the agent being pressured by Barcelona would indicate that bullying (if it is that) isn't working.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Look, I'm not looking to back seat mod or anything, but can we park the repeated, going around in circles transfer talk for non game days? You wouldn't think there is one of the most important games of the season on tonight, and it's being ignored because we are letting Barca and their sh1thousery dictate the 'narrative '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

poolboy wrote: »
    This offer won't be there next summer. So that's the decision take it now as compensation for being so late in the window or reject it and sell him for less next summer. Personally I'd like them to reject it and also for City to meet Messi,s release clause this week just to see Barcelona in complete meltdown. This tactic of making offers just before games is a ****ty way to do business but that's Barca.

Why sell him for less? He'll still have 4 years left on his contract with no release clause.
    Unless he turns into Charlie Adam, theres no need to sell him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

£101m cash up front builds the Anfield Road extension without getting loans and leaves you with about £50m cash still to put back into the squad.

That's crazy money to turn down.

Fair play to FSG if they do and hopefully that will stop all the talk of FSG only being in this for money.

It won't. The conspiracy theorists are obsessed with FSG taking money from the club

Also, the words coming out of Coutinho's camp regarding the agent being pressured by Barcelona would indicate that bullying (if it is that) isn't working.

All Phil has to do is recover from the back "injury" and release a statement (today) saying he has no intention of leaving.

He won't as he wants out but if out doesn't materialise his camp will do some crawling to LFC and the fans. It's quite transparent really.

Phil wants to be a Barcelona player on 01 Sep 2017 and that's totally independent of Barcelona pressuring his agent.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I don't think the price will get higher. It's madness. I hope we keep him and he gets himself back in the form he showed for a while last year.

But I can't see anything like that offer coming again. It's desperation stuff from them!

Ironically the Neymar transfer has blown the ceiling off the market for top players. Next year Phil will be worth a lot more than €130m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Look, I'm not looking to back seat mod or anything, but can we park the repeated, going around in circles transfer talk for non game days? You wouldn't think there is one of the most important games of the season on tonight, and it's being ignored because we are letting Barca and their sh1thousery dictate the 'narrative '

Eh? Barca make yet another bid for our most creative player on the eve of said match and you want posters to pretend it didn't happen until tomorrow? I can multitask, thanks.

Title of thread " Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018"

If you really are hankering after chatting about one of the most important games of the season you could start the match thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We will see how bad his back is next week when Brazil release their squad for the next round of World Cup Qualifiers, in has favour this time is that Brazil have already qualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Blondie919 wrote: »

That's a bit strong. If they are bullies to us then we are equally and worse bullies to Southampton. Barca, if they get Coutinho, will have taken 2 of our best players from us in 4 years. We on the other hand, if we get VVD, will have taken 4 of Southamptons best players over the last 4 years.

Sauce for the goose blah blah blah

It's just business. They are leveraging their position to entice Coutinho away and to be fair to them they are willing to pay world record level compensation, not Neymar/Messi level but it would put Coutinho in the top 5 most expensive players ever.

We are doing exactly the same to Southampton for VVD PLUS our manager got caught meeting/communicating with their player.

Imagine the meltdown in here is Barca's manager hopped over to the UK and met with our player before we'd agreed a transfer fee?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Think you're in the wrong thread. This is the "gossip" and "rumours" thread.

Just FYI (so not back seat modding any more than you are), match talk is actually banned from Superthreads.

Augeo wrote: »
    Title of thread " Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018"

If you really are hankering after chatting about one of the most important games of the season you could start the match thread :)

I mean, the sentiment wasn't a bad one. It's not like the poster said don't talk about it ever, either. Just don't make it the focus today. We should be excited about the game tonight and the prospect of ensuring CL football. Home tie, winning on aggregate with two away goals in the bag. There's a lot to be excited about.

Instead, we're allowing Barca take the shine off a big game day. Its natural that people want to discuss it, myself included, but we probably could all do with renewed perspective of what awaits us tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for those who think Liverpool fans shouldn't be annoyed with Coutinho in all of this; take a look at how Lorenzo Insigne handled rumours about him going to Barcelona.
    "I thank you for the compliments, but I want to keep doing well with this shirt because I always wanted it," he told Mediaset Premium. "Barcelona is the dream for everyone but for now I have the dream of Naples with me."

That is how you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That's crazy money to turn down I don't want to lose Coutinho but that is very very tempting.

Are we a football club or a building company?

The only reason that FSG would turn this down is that they know the backlash from supporters would be huge as other targets have not been achieved and a replacement is unlikely to be found.

I don't think he will be sold but if Keita and VVD had been bought I think it would have been very different.

Naples fans are also a lot more... unforgiving, we'll say, than Liverpool fans.

That's a bit strong. If they are bullies to us then we are equally and worse bullies to Southampton. Barca, if they get Coutinho, will have taken 2 of our best players from us in 4 years. We on the other hand, if we get VVD, will have taken 4 of Southamptons best players over the last 4 years.

Sauce for the goose blah blah blah

It's just business. They are leveraging their position to entice Coutinho away and to be fair to them they are willing to pay world record level compensation, not Neymar/Messi level but it would put Coutinho in the top 5 most expensive players ever.

We are doing exactly the same to Southampton for VVD PLUS our manager got caught meeting/communicating with their player.

Imagine the meltdown in here is Barca's manager hopped over to the UK and met with our player before we'd agreed a transfer fee?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

OK I admit "bullies" was a bit OTT but the stronger clubs will always try this with smaller clubs. And I agree that that is what Liverpool are doing to Southampton too. As you say, yeah, it's just business. But still crappy timing from Barca: bids just before we play a match. They are the big dogs but they are also arseholes!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Think you're in the wrong thread. This is the "gossip" and "rumours" thread.

Just FYI (so not back seat modding any more than you are), match talk is actually banned from Superthreads.

It's not, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Im glad Liverpool are standing firm but they would want to start getting wise and fast. Get in a proper football person. Someone to oversee transfers, player management. Succession planning.

How many times has a first team player left the club and not been adequately replaced? There should be a list of players for every position that could be bought should that player leave.

Coutinho wants to go? Grand off you go. Get in 2 or 3 players and keep the train going. Obviously it's not ideal but until Liverpool start winning trophies and start being a force in Europe that's the way it's going to be.

I sure as **** hope Liverpool have back up for Mané as if he keeps up his performances I can see Bayern Munich knocking on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Does he own a horse??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

murpho999 wrote: »

The only reason that FSG would turn this down is that they know the backlash from supporters would be huge as other targets have not been achieved and a replacement is unlikely to be found.

I don't think he will be sold but if Keita and VVD had been bought I think it would have been very different.

I think you underestimate FSG if you think they'd turn down money which has entered into the hundreds of millions bracket exclusively on the basis of a huge fan backlash. The owners don't put that the anger of fans on that kind of pedestal.

They're turning it down because they don't think it's in the best interests of the business they're running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I mean, the sentiment wasn't a bad one. It's not like the poster said don't talk about it ever, either. Just don't make it the focus today. We should be excited about the game tonight and the prospect of ensuring CL football. Home tie, winning on aggregate with two away goals in the bag. There's a lot to be excited about.

Instead, we're allowing Barca take the shine off a big game day. Its natural that people want to discuss it, myself included, but we probably could all do with renewed perspective of what awaits us tonight.

Nonsense. You can be excited about tonight's match - which I am - and still remain concerned about Barca's refusal to take a broad hint.
    I hate when posters request what or when something should be discussed.
    As for tonight, I expect us to go through but in time honoured Liverpool FC fashion for it to be far more difficult than it needs to be.
    I think we'll be quite cautious which will work against us.

brevity wrote: »
    Im glad Liverpool are standing firm but they would want to start getting wise and fast. Get in a proper football person. Someone to oversee transfers, player management. Succession planning. ...............

Does Klopp's remit not include some of that or is he essentially just a coach.

5starpool wrote: »
    It's not, actually.

I beg to differ.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73160798&postcount=5 and specifically the section:

"We view the superthreads to be limited to use for general transfer chat [daily rumours etc]/general reserve team chat/general gossip/general pre-season tour chat.

Specific matches, major transfers and major news stories are not the purpose of superthreads. PLEASE keep this discussion to the Match Threads/Matchweek threads or discussion threads that are created. NO MATCH INCIDENT DISCUSSION WILL BE TOLERATED IN SUPERTHREADS."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Raisins wrote: »
    I think you underestimate FSG if you think they'd turn down money which has entered into the hundreds of millions bracket exclusively on the basis of a huge fan backlash. The owners don't put that the anger of fans on that kind of pedestal.

They're turning it down because they don't think it's in the best interests of the business they're running.

How do you know what they're going to do?

Do you attend their meetings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Augeo wrote: »
    Does Klopp's remit not include some of that or is he essentially just a coach.

I'd imagine Klopp has a huge say tbh and there is definitely a bit of crossover but I think its quite obvious Liverpool need a Monchi type in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

JpX5AHy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I don't think I've ever made a match thread before!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057778793

500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

How do you know what they're going to do?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement