Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Lads what are your thoughts on Salah so far?

He seems very dangerous on the attack and very pacey, but I feel his finishing let's him down a lot. He scores after some easy misses. He could be nearly double digits for goals already if he was able to bury them.

As the Nun Said to the bishop........

It'll come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

He seems very dangerous on the attack and very pacey, but I feel his finishing let's him down a lot. He scores after some easy misses. He could be nearly double digits for goals already if he was able to bury them.

I think he's been brilliant. He's hit the ground running :rolleyes: and scoring/assisting regularly so far. Nothing to be concerned about, plenty to be hugely optimistic about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Well, he's outscoring England's great Harry Kane and I don't see anyone asking for Harry to be dropped!

I don't recall saying he should be dropped. Or are you just making stuff up?

And in regards Kane, everyone knows he doesn't score in August.

Salah obviously shouldn't be dropped he's been impressive in his games, I just think his misses will be annoying over them. I've no stats of conversion rate or anything, but will be something I'll be looking at throughout the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It was clearly an exaggeration.

It just wouldn't surprise me later in the season for it to be costly in a game.

Or for him to explode and start putting them away.

He has been great, fantastic to have a player who gets in those positions time and time again

He will be a worthwhile but frustrating fantasy football asset

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He has definitely missed some great chances so far, but he's making and getting loads of chances and has scored a few, so I'd be more worried if he were more clinical but less involved.

It must be great fun playing in that team when they're playing well. It's great fun watching anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I don't recall saying he should be dropped. Or are you just making stuff up?

And in regards Kane, everyone knows he doesn't score in August.

Salah obviously shouldn't be dropped he's been impressive in his games, I just think his misses will be annoying over them. I've no stats of conversion rate or anything, but will be something I'll be looking at throughout the season.

I'd say he's feeling the pressure already.

Some Liverpool fans love to root out the smallest bit of negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Completely different type of player but don't forget Suarez had a slow enough start to his Liverpool career, missing chances all around him in his first half season and the next season.

He didn't turn out too badly in the end though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I didn't notice during the game (thought it was just him loitering at back post) but Sturridge's movement for goal 4 was really brilliant. Borini-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He doesn't have to score to be effective. His pace will keep defences honest and stretch the pitch to open space for the other forwards and midfielders.

Even with a poorer conversion rate than we would like, he will be well into double figures for goals and assists barring injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

He's been fantastic. It's just he is very weak on his right foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Salah has been very good he has missed a fair few chances. The key thing with salah is that there is now a major problem on both wings for the opposition to worry about and I think that links in with Mane's brilliant start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The whole Can contract delay never really made any sense to me, but hearing the noises from Juventus recently and its starting to alright.

I'm pretty sure his head has been turned by them. They've sold him a vision and he'll be off to join them next summer regardless of what we offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Listen Salah will be fine. He is scoring plenty and involved in most of our chances either directly or indirectly. When he settles down he should get a little bit more clinical.

What I find hilarious is the arsenal fans laughing at Jordan Henderson...... opposition fans really don't rate him???

The season we almost won the title with Suarez and Rodgers we lost our because Hendo was missing imo. Last season him missing games meant we had nobody controlling midfield. Jordan has been a huge part of the way we play with his high energy always running style. He has a great range of passing and is always looking to get the ball forward.

To be honest I use to think he is replaceable but right now I think he is one of our best players. Obviously Phil Bobby and Mane would rank higher but Jordan would easily be nest on my list of importance to the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr.H wrote: »
    Listen Salah will be fine. He is scoring plenty and involved in most of our chances either directly or indirectly. When he settles down he should get a little bit more clinical.

What I find hilarious is the arsenal fans laughing at Jordan Henderson...... opposition fans really don't rate him???

The season we almost won the title with Suarez and Rodgers we lost our because Hendo was missing imo. Last season him missing games meant we had nobody controlling midfield. Jordan has been a huge part of the way we play with his high energy always running style. He has a great range of passing and is always looking to get the ball forward.

To be honest I use to think he is replaceable but right now I think he is one of our best players. Obviously Phil Bobby and Mane would rank higher but Jordan would easily be nest on my list of importance to the first team.

To be honest with the absolute state of Xhaxa and Ramsey in their midfield they haven't a leg to stand on. Henderson, or any of our midfielders would walk straight into their team.

I wouldn't worry about Arsenal fans not rating him...they rated Ramsey higher than Suarez a few seasons back, they've rated Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gabriel, and Mustafi as the best CB in the league at some point over the last few years. They've rated Giroud as the best striker in the league. They've rated Jack Wilshere.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    The whole Can contract delay never really made any sense to me, but hearing the noises from Juventus recently and its starting to alright.

I'm pretty sure his head has been turned by them. They've sold him a vision and he'll be off to join them next summer regardless of what we offer.

If Arsenal were offering the Ox 180k a week then I am sure we can stretch 150 for Can. He says its not about the money and as one of the best center mids we have we can tell him he will is a first choice player.

I really dont see how we can lose him if we just offer what he is worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Arsenal were offering the Ox 180k a week then I am sure we can stretch 150 for Can. He says its not about the money and as one of the best center mids we have we can tell him he will is a first choice player.

For me, it's simple - if Can goes, how much would you have to spend on a player to replace him? You're looking at £50m plus and the wages on top of that.

If he wants to join Juventus, and they want him, then there's not a lot you can do. They're CL contenders ever year. Finalists two of the past three years.

If they've convinced him that he'll be a starter there, in a side where he'll be competing for major honours, and likely winning something every year, there's only going to be one outcome there.

I don't think its a matter of money, which is consistent with everything we've been told since last year. So offering him 150k a week isn't going to matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can is a very different type of player, loves the physical bit, loves to show some quick feet, loves to get forward, loves to try clinical through balls, loves running. It's rare to get all those attributes in one player, so he'd be pretty irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd say he's feeling the pressure already.

Some Liverpool fans love to root out the smallest bit of negativity.

I'm not a Liverpool fan. I was asking from a general perspective and have actually got some good answers.

But your response is suitable to your username

• Advertisement

For me, it's simple - if Can goes, how much would you have to spend on a player to replace him? You're looking at £50m plus and the wages on top of that.

Can think of an inferior player that cost 89 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yea , fcuk Moses for that short pass !

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/902089110193623040

Plenty of talk about a bid for Thomas Lemar. Not sure if there's anything to it myself.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/902089110193623040

Plenty of talk about a bid for Thomas Lemar. Not sure if there's anything to it myself.

I wonder with a great deal of trepidation if this is anything to do with Coutinho.................... obviously very different types of players. But with our wide forward areas taken by Mane and Salah, I could only see Lemar coming into that attacking role where Phil was destined.

It would make sense to get in a replacement for Coutinho before agreeing anything with Barcelona alright, but with Silva already gone to City and Mbappe looking to be on his way out, why would they let Lemar go too?

If he wants to join Juventus, and they want him, then there's not a lot you can do. They're CL contenders ever year. Finalists two of the past three years.

If they've convinced him that he'll be a starter there, in a side where he'll be competing for major honours, and likely winning something every year, there's only going to be one outcome there.

I don't think its a matter of money, which is consistent with everything we've been told since last year. So offering him 150k a week isn't going to matter.

While the 150k a week might not matter, it might help swing it in our favour. Italian clubs dont like paying high wages when possible.

If we can pursued Can that we have ambitions to win the league and CL within the next few years then he might stay. He needs to know he will play center mid most games. He needs to know he will only miss games when he is being rested and not because we dont rate him.

I just hope we dont give up without actually trying (instead just thinking we tried)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Give Can a competitive wage for a player of his talent whatever that maybe then give him the captaincy and build the midfield around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A new LFC video from SwampyHD, I love this lads videos, I hope he does an Arsenal one...

The Lovren bit is brilliant and a nice nod to Lucas...

It would make sense to get in a replacement for Coutinho before agreeing anything with Barcelona alright, but with Silva already gone to City and Mbappe looking to be on his way out, why would they let Lemar go too?

Thats very true. Its very likely just the usual noise but when I saw the link this morning and the talk of us giving Barca a deadline of today (reports in Spain), I started to worry that maybe there is something to it.

To be honest I wont mind losing Coutinho on two conditions.
    The fee we get must be so high that its a ridiculous amount of cash to receive. It doesnt matter if anyone thinks he is worth it as long as that is what we get. Also most of it has to be up front and none of this over the lifespan of mankind type sh1t.
    Secondly we need signings. Not just a replacement for Coutinho but also another addition on top of that so our squad gets stronger as a result.

If Phil leaves for 150 million and we get both Lemar and Sanches (dont care how much they cost. If the 150 million was spent on both I wouldnt give a toss) I would be delighted.

If we managed to get a defender as well that would be a huge plus

Give Can a competitive wage for a player of his talent whatever that maybe then give him the captaincy and build the midfield around him.

Actually not a bad shout. It would allow Hendo to just play his own game (ala Hyypia) and give Can more responsibility.

• Advertisement

While the 150k a week might not matter, it might help swing it in our favour. Italian clubs dont like paying high wages when possible.

If we can pursued Can that we have ambitions to win the league and CL within the next few years then he might stay. He needs to know he will play center mid most games. He needs to know he will only miss games when he is being rested and not because we dont rate him.

I just hope we dont give up without actually trying (instead just thinking we tried)

I reckon if Coutinho or Lallana were available Klopp would drop Can before Wij or Hendo, I reckon Can thinks this too.
    Can would still play plenty of games you'd expect but he might prefer to be deemed/seen as more critical to the team.
    All IMO of course.

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon if Coutinho or Lallana were available Klopp would drop Can before Wij or Hendo, I reckon Can thinks this too.
    Can would still play plenty of games you'd expect but he might prefer to be deemed/seen as more critical to the team.
    All IMO of course.

Well last season he played Hendo and Can together a lot and got slatted. I think he feels they both sit too deep when playing together. But the last few games they both seem to take turms making forward runs. Even Henderson yesterday looked to get forward. Probably down to the fact we were 3-0 up at the time.

I would have gave out about Can as much as anyone last season but to be honest I would have him start ahead of Gini and Lallana. I just think that Can and Henderson offer more stability to our midfield and provide cover for our defense.

I do agree with what you are saying though and think that is probably the reason he isnt commiting

The Lemar stuff I ignored at first, but it actually seems like our bid may be legit. Now, doesn't mean Monaco will accept a bit, considering they've been gutted this summer, but I'm impressed and surprised that we are in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The more I see Firmino, the more I realise Barca are after the wrong Brazilian.
    Another outstanding performance. Is he the best player in the league at the mo?

The Lemar stuff I ignored at first, but it actually seems like our bid may be legit. Now, doesn't mean Monaco will accept a bit, considering they've been gutted this summer, but I'm impressed and surprised that we are in for him.

Falling for the ol' FSG trick Knex.

You're pathetic, embarrassing, disgraceful......help me out here ricero.

I really want Lemar now hopes are building up to a disappointment.

Lemar, Mane & Salah rotating throughout the season to help stop them burning out would be great.

Also having one of them on the bench to come on with 20 minutes to go with crazy pace would be nice.

I could also see Salah playing Fun Bobby's role if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Now that we've seen what it's like having two quick, quality wide players in the side, buying a third one seems like a sensible plan

So it's looking like Mignolet may have been dropped for the game yesterday as Napoli had been in contact with the club to see if he was for sale.

If true it was probably the right idea to drop him if his head has been turned or not in the right frame of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

£120m cash for Coutinho.

£60m cash offer for Sanchez.

#FSG #NetProfit.

the last thing we want is another moaning bastad like Sanchez,anyway where would he play?

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    the last thing we want is another moaning bastad like Sanchez,anyway where would he play?

Id prefer the Portuguese Sanches myself

Karius was pretty dodgy yesterday, but he had a couple of moments on their set pieces where he just took charge and got good clearance on his punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Half of Salah's chances have come from him Robbing someone of possession or interceptions.

They wouldn't even have come about with a slower / less sharp player.

Not defending what's he's missed but scoring 3/4 is pretty damn good for a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What's happened to this thread. One good result and everyone is posting sensible, well thought out opinions !

shamrock55 wrote: »

Obviously not going to happen, but I wouldn't worry about where he's going to play. We need more than 11 players, we are going to have lots of injuries and we are going to have a punishing schedule.

If he was offered to us for €60m i'd bite their hands off.

If we bid €70m and Lemar signs for us I fully expect Ricero to explode :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I could also see Salah playing Fun Bobby's role if needed.

No way, doesn't have the smile for it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My main concern is related to the depth and quality aspect again. It'll be interesting to see how we perform from December onwards as that is where our form tailed off last year. Even when we won, it was with far less verve and panache than we had displayed until the end of November (or half time against Bournemouth at the start of December to be exact).

A combination of injuries, possible fatigue (not sure on this, hopefully it wasn't really a factor) and loss of confidence due to defensive frailty was our undoing last season. Hopefully we can get lucky with injuries this season, up front especially, and even without any more reinforcements, we could be in for a very good season.

Having Gomez reaffirm to me yesterday that's he's the second coming of Maldini has me a lot more confident about our defensive depth.

Moreno, aside from his trademark lunge in the penalty area in the first half yesterday, was very good. We've seen TAA show some promise, same with Robertson, and the new signing, Milner can play both fullback positions if required too. Add Clyne back into the mix, who Klopp clearly trusts, and we're perhaps not as bad as I would have feared.

CB is still the area with the most question marks, and I'm not too sure if Klopp would be happy throwing Gomez in there for any games of note, so we really only have the 3 CBs worth talking about. When one of those is Estonian and the other is Nervol, then you would hope we can get another body in alright.

Time is running out though.

Having Gomez reaffirm to me yesterday that's he's the second coming of Maldini has me a lot more confident about our defensive depth.

Moreno, aside from his trademark lunge in the penalty area in the first half yesterday, was very good. We've seen TAA show some promise, same with Robertson, and the new signing, Milner can play both fullback positions if required too. Add Clyne back into the mix, who Klopp clearly trusts, and we're perhaps not as bad as I would have feared.

CB is still the area with the most question marks, and I'm not too sure if Klopp would be happy throwing Gomez in there for any games of note, so we really only have the 3 CBs worth talking about. When one of those is Estonian and the other is Nervol, then you would hope we can get another body in alright.

Time is running out though.

Moreno has been good since he's come back in. Yes he still has a mad moment but he's cut out 90% of them. If he can keep improving and not lose his focus then I wouldn't be annoyed to see him playing.

We do need another CB though, and even better if we got that CB and brought Sakho back in from the cold, but I don't see that happening.

Tbh I think Sakho will be one of the stories the sky reporters will be pulling themselves off to late Thursday night.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement