Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭54and56

Knex. wrote: »
    The Lemar stuff I ignored at first, but it actually seems like our bid may be legit. Now, doesn't mean Monaco will accept a bit, considering they've been gutted this summer, but I'm impressed and surprised that we are in for him.

It's all just an elaborate ruse to trick Ricero into thinking FSG might not make a profit this transfer window. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's all just an elaborate ruse to trick Ricero into thinking FSG might not make a profit this transfer window. ;)

Where is he? I thought he'd be here by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lemar, VVD or Howedes or both CB's and this window would be very good.

None of them and it's a very average window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

A bit of context.................

As of this moment we still have Clyne, Lallana, Coutinho, Sakho, Markovic and Ings still in our squad (whether we want all of them or not)

We have dept I just hope that we use it if we have to

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Moreno has been good since he's come back in. Yes he still has a mad moment but he's cut out 90% of them. If he can keep improving and not lose his focus then I wouldn't be annoyed to see him playing.

We do need another CB though, and even better if we got that CB and brought Sakho back in from the cold, but I don't see that happening.

Moreno had an excellent game yesterday it needs to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lemar, VVD or Howedes or both CB's and this window would be very good.

None of them and it's a very average window.

If "average" means "poor", "failed" or "bad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr.H wrote: »

And I don't want to sound like a pr1ck it we can't fool ourselves into thinking he is a long term option at LB.

At home against weaker teams (and arsenal) maybe but I refuse to let two decent attacking displays cloud my judgement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

With Salah looking as good as he is, I'd say it could be a good kind of average.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought he was still a bomb scare to be honest. Still far too rash. There was a point in the first half where he lost the ball and went in for a daft tackle in the box. He got lucky.

He's not good enough.

noodler wrote: »
    And I don't want to sound like a pr1ck it we can't fool ourselves into thinking he is a long term option at LB.

At home against weaker teams (and arsenal) maybe but I refuse to let two decent attacking displays cloud my judgement!

If he keeps his head and stops the madness he's a fine option. Only problem is how long before he does something idiotic again.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I thought he was still a bomb scare to be honest. Still far too rash. There was a point in the first half where he lost the ball and went in for a daft tackle in the box. He got lucky.

He's not good enough.

We signed Robertson. I'd imagine he'll be first choice.

Salah, Robertson & Solanke make it an average window nothing worse nothing better the squad has improved over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Salah, Robertson & Solanke make it an average window nothing worse nothing better the squad has improved over all.

Better if we hang on to Cout, no imrpovement if we don't. A top central defender would change things for me, vvd or otherwise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Fair enough.

Same deficiencies and depth issues that plagued us January to May last year. And six high intensity games loaded onto the schedule pre Christmas. Looks problematic to me.

noodler wrote: »

Of course. Well at least as of now he is not good enough to be a "comfortable" option at left back.

I feel like he can still contribute though. Against bigger sides he could be a back up to Mane for example. A tough away game in Europe or against one of the big sides he would be a great option to have as a left winger. It would give extra cover for our full back (albeit not great cover but at least more so than a more attacking player)

Also I dont think I would be too unhappy at him fighting it out for the left back spot and trying to improve.

awec wrote: »

He's not good enough.

i thought he had a couple of moments where he was defensively sound. He just knocked it out to touch when he was under pressure. I was pleasantly surprised that he didnt try to take on the opposing player and dribble his way out.

Defensively he looked like he is at least trying to learn. Attack wise he is a good option.

I agree that Robertson looks better though. I cant believe we actually have someone who can cross the ball!!

A bit of context.................

As of this moment we still have Clyne, Lallana, Coutinho, Sakho, Markovic and Ings still in our squad (whether we want all of them or not)

We have dept I just hope that we use it if we have to

Clyne, Lallana, Coutinho - more or less first team material (Clyne under pressure now perhaps)

The bolded two won't play any games for us I expect.

Ings, we'll see him in the domestic cups IMO.

Fair enough.

Same deficiencies and depth issues that plagued us January to May last year. And six high intensity games loaded onto the schedule pre Christmas. Looks problematic to me.

Well not exactly.

We have Ings back from Injury. Sakho and Marko we cant seem to get rid of. Then there is two extra attackers and a full back.

We literally have a bigger squad right now (could obviously change)

Well not exactly.

We have Ings back from Injury. Sakho and Marko we cant seem to get rid of. Then there is two extra attackers and a full back.

We literally have a bigger squad right now (could obviously change)

Marko will not play a meaningful minute for this club again, ditto Sakho.

Ings is a nice player if over his injuries, but he doesn't offer what our front three offer so it's not the right kind of depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://mobile.twitter.com/GraemeKelly1/status/902108999075729409

Keita in the UK apparently....

Househunting in the Wirral probably... :D

As much as I'd love this to be true, I'm not setting myself up again for disappointment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seen this Graeme Kelly lad tweet all sorts of nonsense over the last few weeks, don't think I'd have any faith in him being right about Keita.

Ings is a nice player if over his injuries, but he doesn't offer what our front three offer so it's not the right kind of depth.

He might be used in a horses for courses fashion in the cups, we're hardly going to play Mane, Salah and Firmino against lower league opposition in domestic cups when we have CL games too :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Clyne, Lallana, Coutinho - more or less first team material (Clyne under pressure now perhaps)

The bolded two won't play any games for us I expect.

Ings, we'll see him in the domestic cups IMO.

I think Ings should (and could) get a few chances once the games start piling up. He is still recovering (technically) with the U23's. I think he will probably play wide as a backup or sub.

Clyne is under pressure but thats good. Competition breaths improvement.

Markovic and Sakho I agree probably wont ever play but I strongly disagree with that. If we cant get rid of them then we should bring them back. We have had and do have much worse players than them in our squad and if they aint leaving then its stupid not to utilise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Seen this Graeme Kelly lad tweet all sorts of nonsense over the last few weeks, don't think I'd have any faith in him being right about Keita.

Yeah I'm not getting excited, as always seems too good to be true...

He might be used in a horses for courses fashion in the cups, we're hardly going to play Mane, Salah and Firmino against lower league opposition in domestic cups when we have CL games too :)

Yeah I realise that we'll end up playing different styles / lineups in the cups. But what I'm interested in is our ability to do what needs to be done in the primary two competitions, and Ings is a non factor in that if we're all being honest about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

In this day and age, if there was any truth the rumour, there'd be a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Devils advocate here, but maybe we've been targeting Keita as a replacement for Can when he heads off to Serie A next season? If I'm not mistaken, rumours of a Juve move have been going on for a while now.

Would make sense to sound out a potential replacement now if Emre can't agree terms on a new deal, and hasn't done so for the duration of talks.

Granted we didn't get the transfer done this summer to give him a full year to integrate and acclimatise, but we'll be back in next summer to sign Keita I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Back to school today lads cant be on here bashing FSG until the afternoon

Seems were mad to be trying to buy Lemar (if true) according to some lads in the Transfer Thread.

Why would we need Lemar when we have Solanke, Ings, Milner and Origi.

I don't know much about Lemar but earlier in the summer I saw a few United and Arsenal fans saying that they'd like them in their teams. I'm assuming he'd be a better option than the players mentioned above though as backup (more likely rotation) with Salah and Mane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think the reaction to Cans latest performances have caused a very rose tinted view of his performance last season.
    Talk of him being ahead of Lallana and Gini when everybody is fit is madness .

I agree he has been good this year so far , but last year he had as many bad games as good , the results with and without Lallana in the side were very noticeable last season , and while I am glad we have started well without him , when back and fit he slots in ahead of all three currently sitting in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the reaction to Cans latest performances have caused a very rose tinted view of his performance last season.

I agree he has been good this year so far , but last year he had as many bad games as good , the results with and without Lallana in the side were very noticeable last season , and while I am glad we have started well without him , when back and fit he slots in ahead of all three currently sitting in midfield.

He was carrying an injury for much of the season though and his performances improved seemingly as he recovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

And a bit of talk of giving him the captaincy to get him to sign a new contract. He has started the season great but I'd prefer hendo and gini . Would be very disappointed if can did end up leaving though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye I feel for Can ,
    People keep forgetting that Klopp himself said Can played through injury for like 2 months last year and it was the time people got on his back for poor displays,
    I think he's a proper players , he has it all in the locker and will only get better,
    The thing that makes him stand out is he's got balls and never hides, he's not afraid to let even the senior players know when they make mistakes,
    I think in 2-3 years he'll be a Roll's Royce of a player,

Talk of him being ahead of Lallana and Gini when everybody is fit is madness .............

With Lallana or Coutinho in the midfield 3 it'll be two of Can, Hendo or Wij for the other spots.

With both Lallana and Coutinho in midfield and the front 3 all fit & playing (I've no doubt we'll see that all going well) than Can, Hendo or Wij will be fighting it out for one place.

I agree with you than Can wouldn't be ahead of Lallana but in games where our attacking 5 are all featuring Wij' won't be the other midfielder played.

I would think Hendo would be ahead of Can in those situations though, captain etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wonder is this Lemar thing just a bit of opportunism?

If so, that's exactly what you'd want to see, especially at a time when we've failed in our main bids.

So long as you're raising the level of the squad and pushing forward you can deal with not fixing all your problems.

Left back and the wing had holes that have been plugged with Robertson and Salah. CB is a big one, but if we can manage to get 7 clean sheets in 9 and only lose 1 game with Lovren and Matip all last season, it could be something we can take on the chin over the season and it not completely derail our season.

According to Mel Reddy it's not related to the Coutinho deal and he's still going nowhere.

A deal for Lemar and keeping Coutinho, going along with our good start sets a totally different tone for the season.

For some reason I saw Keita as Coutinho's replacement.

The midfield three would then have been Keita, Can & Wijnaldum with the front three being what we have now.

You would then have Henderson & Lallana as the interchangeable two from the bench starting as first team players in rotation.

If Lemar is landed Coutinho is off I reckon.
    Gbear wrote: »

According to Mel Reddy it's not related to the Coutinho deal and he's still going nowhere.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm assuming that if we're getting Lemar, or at least trying to, it means that Coutinho is going? I doubt we're planning to have both Lemar and Coutinho? Not saying that Lemar is a direct replacement for Coutinho, but it seems weird to buy another attacking midfielder if we're keeping Coutinho? So either we get Lemar and let Coutinho go, or we don't get him and keep Coutinho.

It could be that Lemar is Couthino replacement but bringing him in now to bed in for a year and let Couthino go next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

It could be that Lemar is Couthino replacement but bringing him in now to bed in for a year and let Couthino go next summer.

Most likely. Can't see coutinho staying on next season if lemar is signed

• Advertisement

For some reason I saw Keita as Coutinho's replacement.

The midfield three would then have been Keita, Can & Wijnaldum with the front three being what we have now.

You would then have Henderson & Lallana as the interchangeable two from the bench starting as first team players in rotation.

Same. I'm convinced that was the long term plan when targeting him.

I don't think so. All noises from the club says they're not related. Not this season anyway.

If we get Lemar I can't see Coutinho staying this window. He wants out and if Lemar is another option than FSG might well say fnck it, let him leave.

Especially if he's been a real pain in the arse of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Thomas Lemar is one of those 'best case scenario' players when it comes to replacing Coutinho, I wouldn't be upset at that swap. In saying that I still think we'll keep Phil another year even if we do sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Moreno has been good since he's come back in. Yes he still has a mad moment but he's cut out 90% of them. If he can keep improving and not lose his focus then I wouldn't be annoyed to see him playing.

We do need another CB though, and even better if we got that CB and brought Sakho back in from the cold, but I don't see that happening.

Yeah, credit where it's due, Moreno has been playing well. He even made a no-nonsense, kick it into row-z clearance yesterday!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/thomas-lemar-liverpool-prepared-shatter-13539976#ICID=ios_lfcecho_AppShare_Click_Other

Looks like there's legs to the Lemar story now and the Echo are reporting a £60m bid. They also say the deal isn’t linked to Coutinho’s future.

Lemar isn't the only target we are going on a shopping spree is all over social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Barcelona looking at Keita now apparently. If they sign him, will be majorly pissed.

Yeah, all the mouth pieces are saying it. Well, Reddy and Pearce anyway. Waiting to see what Joyce has on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I know we need a CB and all that but this is a potential signing that really excites me, he's only 21 and has already been one of the core players in winning Ligue 1 and getting to a Champions League semi final.

• Advertisement

Can't see Monaco letting him go this late into the window and given the players they've already lost. Think this is going to be another Keita situation whereby FSG can look back as say 'well, we tried'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement