Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I know it's the Mirror and all but apparently Man City have offered Sterling to Arsenal as a make weight in a deal for Sanchez - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-make-sensational-offer-11073844

Not sure what to think of that.

I know it's the Mirror and all but apparently Man City have offered Sterling to Arsenal as a make weight in a deal for Sanchez..................

Not a bad deal for either club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some amount of thrash John Cross writes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I know it's the Mirror and all but apparently Man City have offered Sterling to Arsenal as a make weight in a deal for Sanchez - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-make-sensational-offer-11073844

Not sure what to think of that.

Well he hasn't improved as a player since leaving Anfield and if anything may have gone slightly backwards. There does seem to be some respected journalists talking about it on twitter too, so there may be some truth to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Updated September fixtures

Date Team TV
    9th Sep Man City (a) (PL) Sky Sports
    13th Sep Sevilla (ESP) (CL) BT Sports
    16th Sep Burnley (PL)
    19th Sep Leicester (a) (EFL CUP) Sky Sports
    23rd Sep Leicester (a) (PL) BT Sports
    26th Sep Spartak Moskva (RUS) (a) (CL) BT Sports

Burnley could be on TV no Irish 3pm fixtures announced or I can't fine them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You'd imagine that joining Arsenal wasn't part of Raheem's plan for global domination once he left Liverpool. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Lots of chatter on Twitter about VVD for £75 mill been done today, however no real reliable sources as of yet. Looks like today could be another good day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Well he hasn't improved as a player since leaving Anfield and if anything may have gone slightly backwards. There does seem to be some respected journalists talking about it on twitter too, so there may be some truth to it.

He's scored 2 goals in his 3 games this season, take the blinkers off. This could be a big season for him

Lots of chatter on Twitter about VVD for £75 mill been done today, however no real reliable sources as of yet. Looks like today could be another good day

I dunno about that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lots of chatter about an offer, no real info to suggest it'll be accepted. If anything does happen it'll be all guesswork until everything happens at once in terms of info being released.

I still don't see us signing him though.

• Advertisement

No different, Liverpool play YNWA after the premier league anthem, most other teams stop the music after the premier league anthem has been played

There's a premier league anthem? It's been a couple of years since I've been at a game unfortunately, but I've been at loads and never noticed a Premier league anthem before I game. Something new? You got a link to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Augeo wrote: »
    I dunno about that.

Money no longer means anything.

The days of worrying about whether all of this fits in with a £15m-£20m net spend are over.

He is a much better central defender than what we have, so would be a great signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

5starpool wrote: »
    There's a premier league anthem? It's been a couple of years since I've been at a game unfortunately, but I've been at loads and never noticed a Premier league anthem before I game. Something new? You got a link to it?

Its played while the players are lining up and shaking hands before the match. If you watch MOTD, you'll have heard it hundreds of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Its played while the players are lining up and shaking hands before the match. If you watch MOTD, you'll have heard it hundreds of times.

this..

Money no longer means anything. ............

Salah was half of that, Keita also less than £75m.

Money, most definitely is still meaningful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

OK, to recap this Summer:

Confirmed:
    Andrew Robertson - £10m
    Mo Salah - £42m (+8m in add-ons)
    Naby Keita - £48m+ (joins next year)

Possibles:
    Virgil Van Dijk - £75M?
    Thomas Lemar - £60M?

Surely if those 2 deals go through in the next day or two, then Coutinho is on his way to Barca for £148m?. It would make sense with all the money suddenly being splashed around by LFC.

My ears must just filter it out as white noise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have never noticed that !

Money no longer means anything.

And that right there is the path to insolvency. It's what burned Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers etc etc and the same attitude which led people to buy apartments off plans in Bulgaria.

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

75M for VVD.......Crazy, but we need a CB......I'd be happy with Howedes at a much reasonable 20M.....but I'm happy once Klopp gets who he wants, still mental money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

cjmc wrote: »
    I have never noticed that !

I'm the very same, I don't think I've ever heard that before in my life! :)

And that right there is the path to insolvency. It's what burned Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers etc etc and the same attitude which led people to buy apartments off plans in Bulgaria.

We spent no money (net) last summer.

There is a massive premier league tv deal this season. We are in the Champions League.

Obviously I'm being facetious when I say money doesn't mean anything.

But us spending on Salah, Keita, Robertson, Lemar and VVD isn't going to bankrupt us.

Keita is next season for one thing and Coutinho will almost certainly be on his way next summer.

I think one thing we can all be certain of is that John Henry is not Peter Ridsdale. We are only spending money we have, and we have a lot of it because of the tv deals, champions league, and our frugality over the last 18 months.

Don't forget we will also be looking to offload Sakho, Markovic and possibly Origi

All that being what it is, I'd rather Klopp got the central defender he wants for £75m, than the one he only kind of wants for £30m.

It's the biggest weakness in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »
    75M for VVD.......Crazy, but we need a CB......I'd be happy with Howedes at a much reasonable 20M.....but I'm happy once Klopp gets who he wants, still mental money though.

50% more than the fee bandied around at the start of the summer. Everything has gone nuts, but if that's the player Klopp wants, then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It seems crazy money alright but I remember the furore when Utd signed Ferdinand for £30m or so. It worked out well for them tbf, so if VVD costs £75m, so be it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jaysssus, imagine if we signed VVD and Lemar before the window closed. That would rock, even one of them would be great.

Strange that rumour about Sterling being used as part of a deal, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Other Keita to Monaco done, lemar to Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think VVD is a much better player than Howedes.

I really don’t worry about fees. Let the club and it’s accountants look after it. The money is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You’re referring to people over spending on borrowed money. LFC won’t be doing this. The cash is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

What was the highest bid turned down for VVD, no way is he worth 75million. He hasn't played a game for nearly a year and has fallen out with his club, agents etc. They should be trying to release him on a free transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Burnley could be on TV no Irish 3pm fixtures announced or I can't fine them

From the broadcasting forum.
    Schwanz wrote: »

Newcastle v West Ham United Sat 26 Aug

Arsenal v Bournemouth Sat 9 Sept
    Watford v Manchester City Sat 16 Sept
    Southampton v Manchester United Sat 23 Sept
    Manchester United v Crystal Palace Sat 30 Sept

Crystal Palace v Chelsea Sat 14 Oct
    Huddersfield Town v Manchester United Sat 21 Oct
    West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City Sat 28 Oct

Everton v Watford Sat 4 Nov
    Liverpool v Southampton Sat 18 Nov
    Manchester United v Brighton & Hove Albion Sat 25 Nov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Signing Lemar & VVD and then having Can sign a new contract then VVD or Can getting the captaincy and this would be how to do a transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Lemar & VVD & Can signing a new contract

Then VVD or Can getting the captaincy and this would be how to do a transfer window.

I'd be stunned/delighted if we got Lemar & VVD, and kept Can/Coutinho as well. Hopefully we'll get one or other of Lemar & VVD, don't expect to get both of them.

Whatever about making Can the Captain, I'd wouldn't be giving VVD a sniff of that role until he's played with us for a while and earned it...

murpho999 wrote: »
    You’re referring to people over spending on borrowed money. LFC won’t be doing this. The cash is there.

Nope, I wasn't. I was responding to the statement (made tongue in cheek by whatawaster) that "Money no longer means anything".

If that attitude creeps into the club and or into our own personal lives it's a slippery and steep slope from there to "let's borrow whatever it takes" because after all "money no longer means anything".

Thankfully FSG appear to be responsible owners who understand the difference between the price of something and it's value and Klopp is a manager who isn't impressed (or necessarily put off) by price tags and the apparent "quality" they imply about the player being recruited.

It seems to me that Klopp/FSG like to get good value where possible e.g. Matip, Robertson, Solanke etc but are also prepared to pay a price in excess of the value they may place on the player if they have to i.e. Kieta and VVD.

Good deals done early for Robertson and Solanke help justify paying inflated fees for Kieta and VVD. As long as the swings and roundabouts allow Klopp to get his targets and enable FSG to run the club in a financially responsible manner then happy days all round.

Signing Lemar & VVD and then having Can sign a new contract then VVD or Can getting the captaincy and this would be how to do a transfer window.

Let Can play well for more than a few games in a row and demonstrate to us that he wants to be here long term before we start thinking about the captaincy.

I'd be very hesitant to take it away from Henderson. He is by all accounts a hard-working and well respected member of the squad, and when he is fit and firing is one of our best players.

Rumours afloat that De Beor is to be fired as Palace manager already, after falling out with the chairman.

Wonder how that affects Sakho, if true.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Rumours afloat that De Beor is to be fired as Palace manager already, after falling out with the chairman.

Wonder how that affects Sakho, if true.

Given the short time left I'd say they'll agree to the £30m ASAP so they can at least point to Sakho being in the squad when trying to attract a new manager who is unlikely to arrive prior to midnight Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

sword1 wrote: »
    What was the highest bid turned down for VVD, no way is he worth 75million. He hasn't played a game for nearly a year and has fallen out with his club, agents etc. They should be trying to release him on a free transfer.

Hilarious! His last game was late Jan, and would have had the summer off anyway, so only missed 4 months with injury...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The idea that Liverpool need to sell to buy is undermined somewhat by the fact that we were trying to sign both VvD and Keita before the Coutinho offers came in, and by the fact that we've had 2 years of new TV money and have broken even transfer-wise in that time. Then there's the small matter of qualification for the Champions League, which has a significant financial footprint.

The nature of the Keita deal also underpins the idea that we're not selling Coutinho this summer. We've already sold 2 CMs and won't have reinforcements until July 2018 To my mind that means Coutinho can leave next summer if he still wants to go, but he stays for one more year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Crazy to think Can is only 23. His potential is scary.

Three of the below goals would be amazing - listed in order of importance.

Sign VVD or other top CB
    Keep Coutiniho for one more season
    New contract for Can
    Sign Lemar

https://twitter.com/deadlinedaylive/status/902485553165340672

That's surely over a 100m valuation, when you consider Origi's age & potential.

Edit: Sorry, thought it was transfer instead of a loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think that means a €90M outlay now, with us valuing Origi at €30M, and if they keep Origi, they pay €30M back next summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

People need to stop worrying about money. We have spent **** all since klopp came in and have the champions league and tv money now. Also next year coutinho will probaly be sold for 100 million plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If we manage to get Lemar, and with an offer like that it looks like we really want him, then I couldn't care less if Coutinho leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If we manage to get Lemar, and with an offer like that it looks like we really want him, then I couldn't care less if Coutinho leaves.

But his mate and former Barca player told him not to go to Barca, so we have to wait for PSG now :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Sappy404 wrote: »
    The idea that Liverpool need to sell to buy is undermined somewhat by the fact that we were trying to sign both VvD and Keita before the Coutinho offers came in, and by the fact that we've had 2 years of new TV money and have broken even transfer-wise in that time. Then there's the small matter of qualification for the Champions League, which has a significant financial footprint.

The nature of the Keita deal also underpins the idea that we're not selling Coutinho this summer. We've already sold 2 CMs and won't have reinforcements until July 2018 To my mind that means Coutinho can leave next summer if he still wants to go, but he stays for one more year.

The problem is that at the start of the summer the rumour was that we had 100 million and sales to spend. It was speculated that we could have up to 100million in sales so we could have up to 200 million to spend. Roll on a few weeks later and people with selective memories are saying we have 200 million and sales to spend. Above is an example of that again, on the one hand we have more to spend because of the Coutinho money, but then we are not selling him. What breaking even transfer wise has to do with it when the club showed a 20million loss last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The lads over on reddit are tracking a private jet from Bournmouth Airport to Liverpool.

Proper tinfoil hat stuff going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Vicxas wrote: »
    The lads over on reddit are tracking a private jet from Bournmouth Airport to Liverpool.

Proper tinfoil hat stuff going on.
    I know - sure I've a mate at the airport who'll just tell me when he sees Jurgen picking him up in a Liverpool Opel Astra

D'Agger wrote: »
    I know - sure I've a mate at the airport who'll just tell me when he sees Jurgen picking him up in a Liverpool Opel Astra

All Liverpool staff are mandated to be accompanied with bannermen whilst driving. Lads hanging out the passenger windows with giant fuck off Liverpool flags.

Makes tracking this transfer stuff a lot easier. Ian Ayre would only put a tiny flag on the back of his harley, which is why he was shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sakho is French offer him to Monaco.

Or just offer them the cash Origi & Cafu just don't tell them he is the crap Scouse one who else do wee to get rid off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sakho is French offer him to Monaco.

Or just offer them the cash Origi & Cafu just don't tell them he is the crap Scouse one who else do wee to get rid off?

Throw them Markovic also....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement