Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

mosstin wrote: »
    Do you work?

Yes quite intensely, not as intense as i used to though as healthwise it just wasn't worth it - planning to retire within the next 5 years (late 30's). How about yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Distinctly underwhelmed by this Ox stuff. At Arsenal for years and nobody really knows what's his best position. Probably could get him for free next year as he is obviously keen to move to Liverpool.

Best I can say is we do need squad depth and maybe Klopp can get a tune out of him but hard to get excited over a player swapping the bench at Arsenal for the bench at Liverpool.

Not that he's a bad player per se. Just a bit meh.

Do any of you work?

I'm the work equivalent of Alonso .......... no tackling, no running about, few wizard passes every so often ........... get away with it as I'm sh1t hot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think the ox would be a decent signing everyone knows about his versatility but he want to play as a CM. I see him as being ideal back up to Gini. There is really nobody else in the squad that offers what Gini brings to midfield, others like henderson, Can, Lallana all have different strenghts and none of them really do the same role as Gini but i think the Ox can bring a similar style of play to the midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arsenal ready to cut ties with Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Arsenal have opened the way for Liverpool to bid for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain by telling the England midfielder he is no longer wanted at the Emirates Stadium.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain has informed Arsenal that he does not want to move to Chelsea despite the clubs agreeing a £35 million deal on Monday. He favours a switch to Anfield where he believes Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, will bring the best out of him.
    Liverpool were informed earlier this summer after making an enquiry for the 24-year-old that Arsenal were not prepared to do business with a perceived rival.
    But Oxlade-Chamberlain has told Arsène Wenger he wants to leave to further his development and Arsenal are so unhappy with his refusal to commit to a new contract that they now want to offload him before tomorrow’s transfer deadline.
    The shift in stance presents a chance for Liverpool to firm up their interest and match Chelsea’s bid with Klopp having tracked Oxlade-Chamberlain for months.
    Klopp is prepared to utilise Oxlade-Chamberlain in his preferred midfield role. One of the player’s concerns about moving to Chelsea was that he would have been deployed in a wing-back role again.
    Liverpool have not yet bid for him and may not be willing to match the fee offered by Chelsea. If a deal is not reached with Liverpool, he will stay at Arsenal and potentially leave on a free transfer next summer.
    Liverpool are also interested in Monaco’s Thomas Lemar and Southampton’s defender Virgil van Dijk, but Oxlade-Chamberlain would appear the most straightforward deal now given Arsenal no longer appear picky on just who they will do business with.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain is with the England squad at St George’s Park as Gareth Southgate’s squad prepare for Friday’s World Cup qualifier with Malta

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arsenal-ready-to-cut-ties-with-oxlade-chamberlain-fbz66jrcx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

The way I see it, here's what may happen over the next few days, in order of possibility:

1. We buy Ox. This seems to have a good chance of happening, the player wants us, it's not a crap ton of money and the clubs seem to be talking to each other
    2. We buy Lemar. This has less chance of happening as Monaco might not want to sell him, but there have been offers made and the clubs seem to be talking to each other
    3. We buy VVD. This is look less and less likely, mostly because we've heard nothing different from either club since their initial stances (Palace - we're not selling him, LFC - we've ended our interest in him), everything else has just been the press speculating.
    4. We sell Coutinho. This is also looking less and less likely, mostly because LFC have been so firm in our stance!

Obviously, it's natural to assume that Lemar, which was news to most of us, is being viewed as a replacement for Coutinho, but most journalists seem to be reporting that they're not linked. Maybe they are linked, but in a 'get someone in for a year before Coutinho goes' way.

Anyhow, that's all just my opinion of course, we'll probably bid for some other player that none of us knew we were going for in the next hour! :)

I'm guessing he's not gonna lose too much sleep leaving a sinking ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Our first two Lemar bids were rejected instantly and the third had been pending nearly 24 hours now so that's got to be a decent sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I think if we get Lemar, Coutinho goes. I can't see VVD happening at all.

But I didn't see Liverpool signing Keita at all, so I haven't a clue what I'm banging on about really.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Arsenal and Wenger will be back, give him a month. Arguably Liverpool fans have their thoughts "clouded" about our defensive woes due to last weeks win - we need these signings to happen or we will struggle!

• Advertisement

I think if we get Lemar, Coutinho goes. I can't see VVD happening at all.

But I didn't see Liverpool signing Keita at all, so I haven't a clue what I'm banging on about really.

I think VVD leaving is in the bag, whether it is Liverpool's bag is questionable, i do think we are slight favourites though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Arsenal and Wenger will be back, give him a month. Arguably Liverpool fans have their thoughts "clouded" about our defensive woes due to last weeks win - we need these signings to happen or we will struggle!

Arsenal will beat West Brom or somebody 5 nil and the papers will say Wenger still has it. Happens every year with them except they ran out of luck last year and failed to scrape over the line for fourth place. Arsenal could be going through now what we went through after Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Lemar has a better chance of happening than VVD. Monaco are actually talking but apparently they want €100m and we've offered £/€70m and Origi on loan.

If Monaco come down on their asking to €85-€90 it could very well be done. You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Even arsenal fans don't want cech anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Would not at all surprise me to see us get ox,agree deals for lemar and keita for next year,keep coutinho till next summer...

And sign vvd this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yes quite intensely, not as intense as i used to though as healthwise it just wasn't worth it - planning to retire within the next 5 years (late 30's). How about yourself?

Are you making over 100k though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The question was tongue in cheek. You do seem obsessed with flight paths though. You're an air traffic controller, right?
    Best of luck with the retirement.
    Back to work for me tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Dunno where Oxtail Chamermaid fits in, is this Lemar out the window.
    Great. We wanted a Rolls and settled for a Ford .

I kinda agree. Yes, I think Lemar looks like a better player than Ox, and signing Ox is a little 'meh' compared to Lemar.

But, it's not like Lemar has been our main target all summer, and now we're suddenly settling for Ox. Most of us didn't even know we were thinking of going for Lemar until a couple of days ago. So I find it hard to get too upset if we don't get him, and get Ox. It'd be different if we hadn't signed Kieta and gone for Ox instead

In some ways, going for another AM in Lemar was unexpected (Coutinho potentially leaving notwithstanding) so it's not terrible if we don't get him, though it would be great if we did. He's a cherry on the cake signing for me, not an 'essential' one.

The question was tongue in cheek. You do seem obsessed with flight paths though. You're an air traffic controller, right?

Needs to watch out for all those asteroids over berlin when planes are about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wasn't convinced when Klopp signed Mane, not convinced by signing Ox. There's a reason Klopp is Liverpool manager and I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Regarding Ox: What happened to Klopp's stance of wanting a very specific car. Not a similar car in another colour?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ballyargus wrote: »
    Regarding Ox: What happened to Klopp's stance of wanting a very specific car. Not a similar car in another colour?

Who says Ox isn't a specific car as far as Klopp is concerned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Weve been linked to OX since March ,Possible his agent knew Chelsea would bid and we would only bid after that, With him saying no to Chelsea and saying he'd rather run his contract down puts the pressure on Arsenal to sell to us to recoup any money, Plus means if nothing happens the Gunner fans won't hate him as he refused Chelsea

Ox adds another body that can run all day and if we do have an injury crisis we now start to have solid cover and not kids with no experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Wasn't convinced when Klopp signed Mane, not convinced by signing Ox. There's a reason Klopp is Liverpool manager and I'm not.

FSG didn't want ya ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't any deal for Lemar have to be completed today due to him playing against Holland tomorrow?

There is a slight whiff of going for the cheaper option in going for Ox over Lemar. Yesterday we seemed all in on Lemar and Ox seemed Chelsea bound. Then he pulls out of the Chelsea move and suddenly today we're all in on the Ox and Lemar is on the back burner. You can never tell with transfers as there is a lot of moving parts but there is definitely something smelling a little off here.

There is a slight whiff of going for the cheaper option in going for Ox over Lemar. Yesterday we seemed all in on Lemar and Ox seemed Chelsea bound. Then he pulls out of the Chelsea move and suddenly today we're all in on the Ox and Lemar is on the back burner. You can never tell with transfers as there is a lot of moving parts but there is definitely something smelling a little off here.

Who says Lemar is on the back burner? We've just submitted our highest ever bid for him and are awaiting a response sure.

• Advertisement

The usual guys are not saying it's one of the other, but rather Ox and Lemar will fill different roles in the team.

I was joking about flight radar :). I must admit though, i like watching all the little planes on the screen flying about the place. Amazing world eh.

To the guy about the 100k, no but nor a million miles away, i invested my money in various tech stocks (my career) etc, also no pension other than the mandatory payments etc, a good chunk of investments have paid off, of course they could all crash and i will be working until 65 but i am confident they won't! Thanks for the luck, hopefully more comes my and indeed all our way in the future :)

Who says Lemar is on the back burner? We've just submitted our highest ever bid for him and are awaiting a response sure.

Some reports already out saying it was too hard to do a deal with Monaco so attention was switched to the Ox.

We'll see I guess.

Chamberlin is a decent player with potential, good to have and more so he is determined - good sign. I am happy with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Work and Jobs forum this way lads

Work and Jobs forum this way lads

Any jobs paying a 100k a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ha, apparently Barca have come in, dijks swinging, attempting to sign Lemar now.

Any jobs paying a 100k a year?

Professional footballer - Tea lady at your local premiership club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Ha, apparently Barca have come in, dijks swinging, attempting to sign Lemar now.

60M Euro + a player on loan.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Knex. wrote: »

Bizarre tactics. Surely their hopes of getting Coutinho would be increased if we signed Lemar, not decreased.

Vicxas wrote: »
    60M Euro + a player on loan.

Pathetic.

I wonder if it's one of the 7 Coutinho's they've already announced this summer that they're sending on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I read earlier that the Spanish window closes later than the UK one, any one able to confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I read earlier that the Spanish window closes later than the UK one, any one able to confirm?

Yep, Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As delighted as I am that we seem to be putting huge efforts into signing Lemar, is no one else concerned that we appear to be putting much less effort into the defensive signings? All has gone quiet on VVD and there doesn't seem to be a plan B. CB should have been the main priority of the entire window.

If we end up signing no CB we will continue to concede huge amounts of frustrating goals this season.

Can you fit Firmino, Salah, Mane, Coutiniho and Lemar into the same team? Lemar's signing only really makes sense if Coutiniho is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lemar is a natural winger. Be great to have him in the squad to rotate with salah and mane

ricero wrote: »
    Lemar is a natural winger. Be great to have him in the squad to rotate with salah and mane

I'd argue that he's not really. Not in the traditional sense, anyway. He's tucks inside a lot, and it was Mendy who provided the real width last year.

That said, for sure he can play the LW spot for us, but not quite the same way as Mane played RW last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ricero wrote: »

Yeah - he would seriously improve the squad. But there are areas of the first 11 that are way below the required level. We are pretty strong when it comes to attacking midfielders, and still have Lallana to return.

We are relatively weak in all defensive positions - GK, CB, RB, LB, DM.

If we do sign Lemar I'd imagine he'll predominantly play as the creative attacking midfielder in our midfield 3, maybe playing on the wing occasionally when Mane or Salah need a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Cold water being poured on the Lemar stuff from a few journos. Worth noting none of the regular, more reliable guys had anything to say about it at any stage.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Cold water being poured on the Lemar stuff from a few journos. Worth noting none of the regular, more reliable guys had anything to say about it at any stage.

They all did? Pearce, Joyce, Reddy & Bascombe.

edit: Joyce didn't. My bad.

The only report that's said anything about Liverpool moving on from Lemar, and the one all the Twitter ITKs are using, is an article from The Mirror.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement