Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

NukaCola wrote: »
    ....................You'd imagine he is not up to speed tactically or something.

he could whatsapp Virgil for an evening session :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think some people in here just are fundamentally opposed to the idea of attacking football, there's going to be times when the defence is exposed, but he's proved far more often than not against good teams his tactical approach is spot on. Unless you're striving to be naughties Barca I don't think it's realistic to expect the goals against column to be in the 20's against the type of opposition in the Prem.

A lot of you spend so much time in permanent anguish, that you fail to sit back and just enjoy having one of the most exciting sides around.

Like in nearly every set piece? I can take us being taken apart on the break while being exposed from an attack. Thats a system issue and we've seen this happen. I cant take the stupid mistakes we make though. Basic stuff like CB's not in line to play an offside, ball watching, giving away sloppy fouls in dangerous areas, switching off.......and that was only Lovren last night.......People blame the system but individual mistakes are hurting us a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we don't see Robertson soon I'll have no option left to believe other than it was him who emailed in Coutinho's transfer request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Like in nearly every set piece? I can take us being taken apart on the break while being exposed from an attack. Thats a system issue and we've seen this happen. I cant take the stupid mistakes we make though. Basic stuff like CB's not in line to play an offside, ball watching, giving away sloppy fouls in dangerous areas, switching off.......and that was only Lovren last night.......People blame the system but individual mistakes are hurting us a lot more.

But it is to do with the system. By and large the more technical player isn't tall. Liverpool have the 4th shortest squad in the league, I'd say they're regular starting lineup would be top 3 smallest in the league. There's generally a correlation between goals conceded and height. Liverpool conceded 9 goals from set pieces last season which was middle of the pack for the league, not great but not terrible either.

I mean United conceded the least from set pieces last season(3). Jose packs his team with giants, 2nd tallest in the league but they were turgid going forward most of the time. West Brom are the tallest in the league, they only conceded (5) last season but again are really below average attacking side. Height really is a big variable when it comes to set pieces, so again it's very hard to have the flair attacking style and not expect a bit of negative effect on the defensive side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How stupid Moreno is was summed up late on just before Mane was subbed - the ball was passed up the left by by him to Mane who took the ball tight to the line with a Hoff defender or two near by, Moreno followed his pass to within a few yards of Mane and stopped, he neither provided an out ball on the overlap, inside and nor did he retreat back 10-15 yards to that point which he should never have left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

How stupid Moreno is was summed up late on just before Mane was subbed - the ball was passed up the left by by him to Mane who took the ball tight to the line with a Hoff defender or two near by, Moreno followed his pass to within a few yards of Mane and stopped, he neither provided an out ball on the overlap, inside and nor did he retreat back 10-15 yards to that point which he should never have left.

He's brainless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

But it is to do with the system. By and large the more technical player isn't tall. Liverpool have the 4th shortest squad in the league, I'd say they're regular starting lineup would be top 3 smallest in the league. There's generally a correlation between goals conceded and height. Liverpool conceded 9 goals from set pieces last season which was middle of the pack for the league, not great but not terrible either.

Yesterday you said in the favourite moments in football thread:
    Pippo Inzaghi exacting the best sort of revenge on Liverpool.

You sure you want us to sign a few tall lads and deny you more favourite footballing moments in the future? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yesterday you said in the favourite moments in football thread:

You sure you want us to sign a few tall lads and deny you more favourite footballing moments in the future? :D

Haha I support AC Milan.

Should that exclude me from having a reasonable debate about Liverpool's system?

Haha I support AC Milan.

Should that exclude me from having a reasonable debate about Liverpool's system?

Send us Bonucci, then we can talk.

• Advertisement

Haha I support AC Milan.

Was only kidding fella, just remembered reading yer post yesterday and thinking ya little basstid. :D

Actually fair play for saying we have a defensive "system".
    That's a good start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Henderson isn't a footballer anymore he is pointy man.

power%20point.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He'll never be...

342710_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Henderson isn't a footballer anymore he is pointy man.

I was goin mental watching him do that last night

a) Stop trying to be Gerrard dictating every move in the midfield
    b) If you are going to tell someone else where to pass it, try suggesting a forward pass every now and again
    c) Finally if you are going to indicate a pass to a team mate, don't f**king point so the opposition have a handy head start in closing down the receipient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭daheff

I watched the game last night and tbh i thought we were very lucky not to get beaten. Missed penalty was a big bonus for us. Hoffenheim had a number of chances that were unlucky not to score (wagner just before half time was a good example -just wide of the left post) -offside goal (mig easily beaten at near post :eek:)

That said - 2-1 away from home should see us home and dry. I can see us scoring at home, meaning Hoffenheim need 3 to go ahead on away goals....for all our defensive shambles, i cant see us conceding 3 at home (I hope thats not famous last words!)

I cannot believe moreno is back playing....and making the same mistakes as 2 seasons ago (not tracking back after attacking....seen him wandering back from the front while hoffenheim attacked a couple of times). Wonder why Milner isnt playing LB this season...I reckon he told Klopp he wont play there anymore (thought he played well when he came on for hendo).
    We gave up a lot of chances last night but it was a weird game as hoffenheim just went at us. Which in a way suits us as we can hit them on the break at pace. In those types of games I'd back us to outscore the opposition. We won't come across too many games like that in the PL as teams are generally afraid to attack us. We don't tend to give up a lot of chances in games but due to poor defending will give up a sloppy goal or goals from set pieces. Last night we were getting carved open and it was edge of the seat stuff.

I agree...teams that attack us (eg top 6) tend to allow us time & space on the break to score. We do well against them. Lower teams tend to sit back and frustrate us. we need another plan against teams like that...something I don't feel we have.
    I think some people in here just are fundamentally opposed to the idea of attacking football, there's going to be times when the defence is exposed, but he's proved far more often than not against good teams his tactical approach is spot on. Unless you're striving to be naughties Barca I don't think it's realistic to expect the goals against column to be in the 20's against the type of opposition in the Prem.

A lot of you spend so much time in permanent anguish, that you fail to sit back and just enjoy having one of the most exciting sides around.

I think part of the problem is that Liverpool have always been an attacking side...but have had better defensive side than we do now and thats upsetting people.....we know we can do better.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Klopp said he's back 100% ......... that's why folks defend him IMO
    Moreno is clearly utterly sh1t as a defender but Klopp has done a bit of a U turn on it.
    One upside if we lose Coutinho is we'll probably sell Moreno too!! No need to keep him to keep Coutinho happy if Coutinho's at Barca (maybe we could throw him in as part of the deal???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

20799252_10155714959789914_4943294584376559916_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c2a5aedf8bf145fb524752d8948401d6&oe=5A34B5F8

What goes through Moreno's brain, or no braino as I refer to him as...

Paddy Power on it as usual...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

4 windows and defence is as bad or worse than when Kloop got here,
    Only Matip who was free was brought in by Kloop that get's near the back four,
    He is either blind or we are broke,
    Every man and his dog know we can attack but have a defence of a school boy team and he hasn't even tried to address it,
    How can he be a top manager and keep that back four another season is beyond me its
    Lucas played 26 games last year and wasn't deemed good enough so sold that's fine but he wasn't replaced so that means someone who wasn;t good enough to start ahead of him will get his game time, That is bonkers and makes no sense at all,
    We need to wake up Kloop doesn't have a breeze about defending , He will be sacked by the start of next summer

I mean United conceded the least from set pieces last season(3). Jose packs his team with giants, 2nd tallest in the league but they were turgid going forward most of the time. West Brom are the tallest in the league, they only conceded (5) last season but again are really below average attacking side. Height really is a big variable when it comes to set pieces, so again it's very hard to have the flair attacking style and not expect a bit of negative effect on the defensive side.

That surely describes a personnel problem rather than a system problem though?

Fieldog wrote: »
    What goes through Moreno's brain, or no braino as I refer to him as...

Paddy Power on it as usual...

I think its more like

tumblr_inline_oc7vx9oxKi1rm3ttb_500.gif

Looks like Matuidi is going to Juve hopefully that puts to rest their chase for Can this summer and the club gets him to sign a new long term contract with a £300m buyout clause in it.

Can we just not put any buy out clauses in our contracts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Looks like Matuidi is going to Juve hopefully that puts to rest their chase for Can this summer and the club gets him to sign a new long term contract with a £300m buyout clause in it.

Yeah we have to start putting stupid buy out clauses in to all new deals

That surely describes a personnel problem rather than a system problem though?

I reckon our system almost nurtures the defenders to do barmy stuff.

To be fair it must be tough to be a full back where it's perfectly acceptable to be more or as advanced as the front 3 and than be expected to get back and defend too.

Klopp acknowledges this so won't hairdryer Moreno for doing so for the mostpart. Moreno than gets carried away as seen last night and Lovren is left covering 75% of the LHS of the pitch.

CB wise it's tough too, they are frequently beyond the centre circle of the opposition's half but spread a bit away from each other, almost impossible to cover like that so again they don't get hairdryered out of it when it goes wrong. They than get carried away and are often p1ssing about in the opposition's box.

It's foooooooooooooooking looney IMO.

Knex. wrote: »
    Can we just not put any buy out clauses in our contracts...

No buyout clause leads to what's happening with Barca now and the player putting transfer request.

Stupid money buyout clauses make it nearly impossible for any club to match.

If we had Coutinho tied to a buyout of £250m do you really think Barca would try for him being honest.

Our fans give out about us lowballing but Barca are the worst at lowballing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Everton now have a higher net spend this window then lfc's last 4 windows combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

No buyout clause leads to what's happening with Barca now and the player putting transfer request.

Stupid money buyout clauses make it nearly impossible for any club to match.

If we had Coutinho tied to a buyout of £250m do you really think Barca would try for him being honest.

Our fans give out about us lowballing but Barca are the worst at lowballing.

So why would Coutinho agree to that clause, knowing that if Barca came in, he'd want to go?

Dickerty wrote: »
    So why would Coutinho agree to that clause, knowing that if Barca came in, he'd want to go?

Well when he signed a new contract in January they didn't want him and he wanted £200k a week so if he wanted money he would have to agree to it or would have stayed on £60k a week.

............bi weekly geggenpress fix is greater than Barca :)

ricero wrote: »
    Everton now have a higher net spend this window then lfc's last 4 windows combined

Yes, and they had a weaker squad to begin with, and still do.

I don't care about other teams, particularly those outside the top 6...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

krychowiak and nzonzi both availible to buy this summer. Either would add some great steel and stability to our midfield

Well when he signed a new contract in January they didn't want him and he wanted £200k a week so if he wanted money he would have to agree to it or would have stayed on £60k a week.

Cause it's that easy. We offer more money with whatever clauses or conditions we want, and he just sucks it up? Nah...

• Advertisement

Cause it's that easy. We offer more money with whatever clauses or conditions we want, and he just sucks it up? Nah...

Why didn't he insist on a buyout clause in his new contract at something like £60m if he new Barca wanted to sign him when he signed the new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've yet to be fully convinced by Can and don't think it would be the end of the world if he left.

Coutinho , Salah, Lallana and Mane are our main men IMHO.

Got to hand to Juventus - they have a brilliant system for filling holes. It's almost as if they have no problem with buying mature proven talents who still have a few good years left in them who'll slot in without fuss. When they get old just rotate them out for a slightly younger version.

I'm all for untapped potential (as maybe well known) but that sort of transfer seems to be completely alien to FSG and indeed Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

murpho999 wrote: »
    I've yet to be fully convinced by Can and don't think it would be the end of the world if he left.

I'd add Firmino to that list. I like Can though but he can drift out of games. When he's 'at it' he's very solid.

Got to hand to Juventus - they have a brilliant system for filling holes. It's almost as if they have no problem with buying mature proven talents who still have a few good years left in them who'll slot in without fuss. When they get old just rotate them out for a slightly younger version.

I'm all for untapped potential (as maybe well known) but that sort of transfer seems to be completely alien to FSG and indeed Klopp.

Maybe if we win 6 league titles in a row we can stop buying untapped potential to fill those holes.

Or at the very least 6 consecutive years of title challenges and CL football.

Not convinced by Mignolet, Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Moreno, Klavan, Henderson, Can, Firmino, Origi and few others time to get rid of them all and get FSG to spend billions.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I'd add Firmino to that list. I like Can though but he can drift out of games. When he's 'at it' he's very solid.

Ah another one who's failed the Firmino test.

See me after school, bring your homework! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

murpho999 wrote: »

Can is only 23, give it two years and he he will be our most valuable asset.

sword1 wrote: »
    Can is only 23, give it two years and he he will be our most valuable asset.

No offence intended to Can here coz he's a 'good' midfielder alright, but if he's our most valuable asset in 2 years time then God love us.

• Advertisement

Not convinced by Mignolet, Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Moreno, Klavan, Henderson, Can, Firmino, Origi and few others time to get rid of them all and get FSG to spend billions.

Said no-one on the thread.......Most people are talking about bringing in better options.....players like Karius/Lovren/Klavan/Origi/Moreno are decent enough backups, every other player mentioned are actually quite important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

No offence intended to Can here coz he's a 'good' midfielder alright, but if he's our most valuable asset in 2 years time then God love us.

One follows the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

ricero wrote: »

And when was the last time they finished above lfc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can is 100% a player we should be holding onto with both hands - mainly because, as is, we massively lack quality in Midfield. To the point it could be argued he's currently our best performing MF player.

He's a talented, young, International player. Provides physical presence in the team and is Toure-esque in how he carries the ball downfield at times. As somebody pointed out - at 23 he's only going to get better and I'd prefer to see him do it in a Liverpool jersey. He has to improve in certain areas but I'd expect him to do this, thought he was our best midfield player last night.

Hendo in comparison spent his evening closing down and getting passed around, although I see he's down as having 2 tackles & 3 interceptions I struggle to remember them. Perhaps I'm blinkered but it was as poor as I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:

Even after selling Lukaku?
    At least they are trying to improve on their finish last season, doubt it'll work tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Letting Can leave would be madness ! A player like him should be kept he will get better and better as time goes by and if allowed leave will be one of those players why was he allowed to leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Soarer

Have you actually seen us playing in the last 12 months?

Or even in the last 2 matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

brevity wrote: »
    I think people are fed up of seeing the same defence make the same mistakes.

People are obviously happy Liverpool won but it can be hard to be excited for the next game.

I'd image it's a bit like being an abused partner. There is hope that they will change but then Lovren and Moreno end up running into each other, Mingolet attempts to clear the ball but it hits Henderson in the face to go out off the crossbar for a corner.

The opposition then score from the corner set piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a philosophy issue. People constantly complaining about manner goals conceded fundamentally don't understand what's going on at the club. They're going to regularly be coming up against sides where there's mismatches on set pieces in terms of height and strength. It's not a case of your defence doing their best Trevor Deely impressions, sides like Watford are just packed with battering rams that will naturally be first to a ball coming from the air because they're closer to the sky themselves. You'll concede these sort of goals over the season, get used to it.

But imo his approach is worth it because they're more often than not outscoring sides and finished in a champions league spot in his first full season in charge ahead of certain sides who outspent you.
    Trevor Deely.... WTF lad???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's not a case of your defence doing their best Trevor Deely impressions

I'm all for black comedy, and can find the funny side in most things.

But that's going too far fella. Way too far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement