Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Also I swear he was being praised as the best player at the tail end of Arsenal's season last year, only for him to be useless after a couple games at wingback this season.

I always thought he was a winger but he seems to have been played there very little with Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We want to build a squad of first team players that can compete in 4 competitions year in year out and not rely on kids if we have injuries.
    As long as the signing doesn't block those kids progression to the first team squad and team as well. Ben Woodburn is one that could be adversely affected.

As long as the signing doesn't block those kids progression to the first team squad and team as well. Ben Woodburn is one that could be adversely affected.

Woodburn need to go out on loan to a championship team for a year or two and let him play games on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I've just read that Tim Vickery is saying Coutinho is a done deal to Barca, announcement tomorrow. Didn't want to believe it but I'd trust him over most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

ox also said he wanted to be steven gerard - is a pool fan, is young, strong and hungry - I'd say the move alone will pick his game up 100% Look at the arsenal players the other day - None of them wanted to be there - morale is at an all time low. I'd say we could pick up sanchez fairly handy too - should get ox to ring him in a few days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm generally just happy to trust Klopp again on this. He hasn't done too much wrong in terms of transfers yet. I'm underwhelmed, but as long as he doesn't push Can or Wijnaldum down the preferred starter list I'm OK with it. Hopefully in 12 months time or so, someone will go on a quoting spree to show how wrong loads of us were.

I still don't understand the price though, but not my money, etc.

More business to come before the window closes hopefully.

If he's able to do that we'll be delighted :p Would mean he's doing something right.
    He's pricey but it's the market, I expect we'll all be happy with the signing in six months.

If one of VVD or Lemar come in and Coutinho stays I'll be very happy with the window.
    If Coutinho does go I want both to be happy. All three at the club, delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I always thought he was a winger but he seems to have been played there very little with Arsenal.

He was a CM/RW when he signed for Arsenal anyway. I remember 2 years ago I think, he played a few games in the middle for Arsenal and for a while that switch looked a revelation. I think if he is going to be playing central he's the perfect competition for Gini in that sort of box to box CM role we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So just VVD left from the original Klopp shopping list.

I'd love to know what it was that triggered Southampton to refuse to sell. Rumours that someone at Liverpool texted the wrong person, on top of the media stuff being released. Here's hoping we can make a final push to get him over the line anyway.

Lemar would just be icing on the cake, even if Coutinho leaves imo.

Woodburn's only 17, he's got a ridiculous amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I've just read that Tim Vickery is saying Coutinho is a done deal to Barca, announcement tomorrow. Didn't want to believe it but I'd trust him over most.

Is that on his account or someone "retweeting" a lie for clicks (some sad bastards out there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Those kids weren't up to it in over the Christmas and January period when we needed a squad.

If they are good enough they will make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Also I swear he was being praised as the best player at the tail end of Arsenal's season last year, only for him to be useless after a couple games at wingback this season.

It's the Arsenal cycle. Even Debuchy was the best player ever for a while.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    PSG will struggle to pay a big fee next summer too i'd say though, with the way the Mbappe deal is structured, where they're paying it all next year after a FFP-loophole 'season-long-loan' until then.

They will probably sell him to some feeder club and loan him back to psg or some similar sheangigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sappy404 wrote: »

I like vickery, but he's wrong as often as he's right :) though been based in Brazil he's probably going off solid enough news here .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

emmetkenny wrote:
    In all seriousness though if he was signed for £25m or less we wouldn't be complaining. I expect him to come in and provide cover as a WB, CM and WF. He won't be spectacular but he'll be solid.

I dunno this time next year if Can is on Turin & I'm looking at Ox getting cleaned out in our team I will be DT level pissed.
    I don't think he's anything like our wingers who are rapid fast now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I guess i'm in the minority but I love the Ox signing. Good engine, strong technical player and both footed. He doesn't score many goals but he actually has really high key pass stats and tbh whens the last time Wenger developed someone? He just hasn't adapted to the modern game. Wilshire, Belerin and Ramsey should all be superstars but burst on to the scene and then don't develop further as he just isn't the man to do that anymore (which is a shame in a way as he was possibly the best at it).

If Chamberlain isn't a good signing in the end i'll be shocked.

If we get VVD this is an amazing window imo. If we get Lemar... well tomorrow is my birthday but the missus won't need to give me the old birthday blowie... i'll be long spent by then. (crass but true)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fromvert wrote: »
    If he's able to do that we'll be delighted :p Would mean he's doing something right.
    He's pricey but it's the market, I expect we'll all be happy with the signing in six months.

If one of VVD or Lemar come in and Coutinho stays I'll be very happy with the window.
    If Coutinho does go I want both to be happy. All three at the club, delighted!

I meant before he's shown he's deserved it of course!

This is from December last.

Klopp - Oxlade-Chamberlain to Liverpool? 'Nonsense'

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-oxlade-chamberlain-liverpool-nonsense-12382289

Seems Klopp has wanted him for a while ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Nothing there on vickerys twitter that I see anyway.

Re Ox... Seems a bit mad tbh. Is an OK player, but basically a paying 1M per week premium to bring him in for this season is a bit daft if you ask me. Not my money, and they probably had to complete a high profile deal before the window closed, but bad value for money.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I dunno this time next year if Can is on Turin & I'm looking at Ox getting cleaned out in our team I will be DT level pissed.

You'll have Kieta instead of Can. Ox will still be a rotation option.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »

This time next year we'll have Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I spose it is reassuring that Klopp has plans for him. He's a red now, sure.

'mon the Ox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Nothing there on vickerys twitter that I see anyway.

Re Ox... Seems a bit mad tbh. Is an OK player, but basically a paying 1M per week premium to bring him in for this season is a bit daft if you ask me. Not my money, and they probably had to complete a high profile deal before the window closed, but bad value for money.

This is just the price now. I'd rather have him than Siggy...

he's also a better player than Gini imo. I'm totally fine with the deal.

Ox & Lemar & Salah for less then Coutinho fee would surely be decent business.

Need a CB too though.

Preferably a keeper too. Unlikely though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We've wanted Ox since his Southampton days if I recall. If any man can get the best out of him it's Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I see Ox as a decent signing, we've gotten a young, English talent who clearly very much wanted to move to us. Right attitude, right manager to take that attitude and get some results with it.

If he sees himself as a CM then perhaps his role will be to swap in for Gini - similar enough players I would say, both relatively stocky and have pace coming from deep. Gini I would say has a better footballing brain and better one-touch play about him but he should develop with us.

I'd have preferred a defensive signing but this is a very good addition to our squad and I'm excited to see how he gets on for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I take it if we don't finish the Lemar deal tonight then it's dead? France have a big qualifier against the Dutch tomorrow and I'm sure Deschamps won't allow transfer stuff to get in the way of his matchday preparation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can sense a statement coming out that FSG didn't want to sell Coutinho but they support their manager who felt it was better for squad morale to grant the player his wish.

FSG made a statement he wasnt for sale after a €80m bid, reportedly now Barca will pay €160m. The goal posts have definitely shifted. I'd be disappointed to lose the player but I wouldn't hold it against the club for selling, it's mega money and if we can complete the business we want to, the squad would be stronger.

I still see it very unlikely that he will be sold though.

kfallon wrote: »
    I take it if we don't finish the Lemar deal tonight then it's dead? France have a big qualifier against the Dutch tomorrow and I'm sure Deschamps won't allow transfer stuff to get in the way of his matchday preparation?

Game isn't until near 9pm French time so the deal can probably go on into the afternoon tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Keita signed he turned down a chance to join Barca.

Ox signed he turned down a chance to join the Champions.

Mane signed he turned down utd to join us.

Solanke turned down deals from loads of top teams to join us.

VVD is turning down every club because he wants to join us.

Liverpool and Klopp are now a draw for players when was the last time that happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool and Klopp are now a draw for players when was the last time that happened?

Early Benitez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Not really sure about Ox but have to trust the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a fan of this Ox signing. Always thought he was a pretty average player. Never once worried about him before we had a game against Arsenal. Seemed like a good athlete but not a particularly great footballer. Plus injured a lot.

Really you are banking on Klopp getting something out of him that Wenger couldn't. That's what it boils down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Klopp is buying players to suit the system. Most of his signings were very meh until they played a few games for us and most of them have slotted into the system seamlessly. Look through the league and compare our front three with everyone else. Individually our players wouldn't be as good as the others. For example you could argue that Firmino isn't a better striker than Kane, Lukaku, Aguero or even Lacazette. But as a whole, our front three is the best in the league, imo. They work perfect together and link up perfect with the midfield.

We don't need world class players. We just need players who are good enough technically and physically to fit into the system.

I said it when he was linked first and I'll say it again. Ox will be an excellent signing. He suits our style perfect and it's even more encouraging that he turned down Chelsea and massive money at Arsenal to sign for us. He seems like he believes Klopp will get the best out of him and it's refreshing for a young player to have that attitude.

That what the draw of a top manager can bring.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Early Benitez?

We were European Champions then after his first season but had been a successful team over the few years before he joined.

Not some team who scraped 4th in the league and won one trophy in a decade.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Klopp is buying players to suit the system. Most of his signings were very meh until they played a few games for us and most of them have slotted into the system seamlessly. Look through the league and compare our front three with everyone else. Individually our players wouldn't be as good as the others. For example you could argue that Firmino isn't a better striker than Kane, Lukaku, Aguero or even Lacazette. But as a whole, our front three is the best in the league, imo. They work perfect together and link up perfect with the midfield.

We don't need world class players. We just need players who are good enough technically and physically to fit into the system.

I said it when he was linked first and I'll say it again. Ox will be an excellent signing. He suits our style perfect and it's even more encouraging that he turned down Chelsea and massive money at Arsenal to sign for us. He seems like he believes Klopp will get the best out of him and it's refreshing for a young player to have that attitude.

I like this post. I'd say you're bang on too regarding the system. That's what Klopp does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Only fear now is Arsenal take that money and blow us out of the water for Lemar. It's literally free money for them as he is a free agent next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Will Ox get the no 8 shirt for this season, or is it reserved for Keita?

rob316 wrote: »
    Only fear now is Arsenal take that money and blow us out of the water for Lemar. It's literally free money for them as he is a free agent next summer.

I doubt they're that happy about it considering they were offering him 180k a week to stay. If Lemar is leaving and it comes down to us or Arsenal I have faith we'll get him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

you cant run from the inevitable.. if you have played for Southampton,and we want you ,going to another club first wont stop us,we will get you eventually.

:)

dilallio wrote: »
    Will Ox get the no 8 shirt for this season, or is it reserved for Keita?

Surely saved for Keita, thinking Ox takes 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

you cant run from the inevitable.. if you have played for Southampton,and we want you ,going to another club first wont stop us,we will get you eventually.

:)

No need to monitor when it comes to that club! Their fans must be rightly pi§§ed off at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think Ox is a decent signing. Can play multiple positions (CM, wing, wing back) which is important to have a few players like that in the squad. Seems to be a player that will suit how we play, meets the homegrown quota and also only 24 so if he is a success we will have him for a long time. He won't be a starting player but a good option to have and can see him featuring a lot over the season, only a couple of weeks ago we were complaining how thin the squad is to challenge in multiple competitions. I would rate him as an ideal back up player for most top PL teams.

If Coutinho is gone then I would hope one of VVD and Lemar are coming in, if that is the outcome I think overall it has been a relatively successful window (considering we've agreed a deal with Keita). Should be an interesting deadline day for a change!

He's only turned 24. Still a pup.

Mane and Wijnaldum were our two biggest signings last year and both of those were considered incredibly underwhelming at the time sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have a feeling we are using the van dijk money to sign lemar because southampton wont sell

ricero wrote: »
    Have a feeling we are using the van dijk money to sign lemar because southampton wont sell

You mean pretend to bid for Lemar don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have you had one correct feeling or 'report' all summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Redirecting the money assigned to address the biggest weakness in the team to instead sign someone in our strongest position? Makes sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement