Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mane and Wijnaldum were our two biggest signings last year and both of those were considered incredibly underwhelming at the time sure.

More than underwhelming - particularly Wijnaldum. Mane was, 'well he might do a job' and Wijnaldum had people scratching their heads. Klopp knows what he's doing even if people can't always see it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Squad departure this window
    Lucas

Additions
    Salah
    Ox
    Robertson
    Taa
    Solanke
    Woodburn

Definitely getting more strength in depth between signings and players coming of age, no doubt I am missing someone but I don't think anyone other than lucas is gone that would have been considered in the first team squad before the transfer window opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

£40m for an average player who has a year left on his contract? Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

rob316 wrote: »
    Only fear now is Arsenal take that money and blow us out of the water for Lemar. It's literally free money for them as he is a free agent next summer.

A player in last year of contract, who turned down the only other bidder...

Id guess this is a Barca 40million rather than a PSG 40million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A bit on Duncan Jenkins, the original ITK.

https://thesetpieces.com/features/duncan-jenkins-original-itk/

I was reading through this last night. What a bizarre situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Not a fan of this Ox signing. Always thought he was a pretty average player. Never once worried about him before we had a game against Arsenal. Seemed like a good athlete but not a particularly great footballer. Plus injured a lot.

Really you are banking on Klopp getting something out of him that Wenger couldn't. That's what it boils down to.

Hinted at in other posts, but you could argue that his direct / all action sytle of play and pace is more suited to "heavy metal" football than to "tippy tappy".

So we could see more from him, hopefully.

Good to see the squadbeing strengthened, needed that. 40m when he has one year left on his contract seems hefty even in this market (25-30m would have seen fairer), but if this was one of the few players klopp really wanted and saw fitting into his team and style than I'm not going to complain.

Worth noting Arsenal offered him a wopping 180k to stay and Chelsea also offered 40m. So Klopp isn't the only one who sees big potential and ability in Ox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

tritium wrote: »
    A player in last year of contract, who turned down the only other bidder...

Id guess this is a Barca 40million rather than a PSG 40million

"The only other bidder" being the league champions. He also turned down a 180k a week contract renewal from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Augme wrote: »
    £40m for an average player who has a year left on his contract? Crazy.
    Not really. He has 9 goals in only 130 league appearances. Great prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

His 1 in 15 strike rate will have Liverpools opponents cowering alright.

Utd fan mates telling me there's no way we spent 35m for him to be on the bench. Convinced he'll play midfield...somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Will probably score 10 this season now that he has a manager who knows what he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good managers turn prospects into great players. I mean look what Conte did with Victor Moses. There's a reason both Conte and Klopp want Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Can has 7 goals in 91 games, guess he's shíte too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can has 7 goals in 91 games, guess he's shíte too.

Yeah but one of them counts for at least 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CM's Sky Sports News are showing how Ox's stats compare too Can, Gini & Henderson and Ox's looks like he could be Hendersons replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, really wouldn't judge him too much on goals considering the positions he's largely played for Arsenal.

Did score a peach against us last season though;

(christ Lovren is hilarious in that video... kneeling on the ground in the box, facing the wrong way, hands clasped behind his back... please sign a CB!)

As others have said, i don't really see him as a 'best 11' starter, but adds solid depth to a bunch of positions. Given our extra games, if we add him and Lemar, and sell Cout's, I'd be ok with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

On holidays and just heard the news about Ox, I honestly believe he will thrive under Klopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    That what the draw of a top manager can bring.

And Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

stats up on SSN there now

ApCam

http://imgur.com/a/ApCam

And Champions League

That didn't help with the previous manager or Gerrad's texting.

Is Ox replacing Mignolet?

• Advertisement

Who was the last young player to sign for Arsenal and actually develop into something great with Wenger anyway? can't blame him wanting out.

I think for this season Henderson and Can will compete for the DM role, Gini and Ox for the box-to-box spot and Lallana/Coutinho/Lemar(I hope) for the #10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'd say what pushed Kloppo to go for him is his apparent love for the club and desire to be Stevie G. - he will give everything. Kloppo loves that.

CM's Sky Sports News are showing how Ox's stats compare too Can, Gini & Henderson and Ox's looks like he could be Hendersons replacement.

Be a big surprise if Kloop drops Henderson and give the captaincy to someone else now the season has started but if any manager is big enough to do it it is Kloop

And Champions League

That helps, but most of the other teams competing with us for players have the CL too.

Sometimes we might be a bit too close to the club to appreciate the view from afar, but to others I think it looks like something big is happening at Liverpool in the longer term.

I get it constantly over here with the European and south american lads I play football with - their perception of Liverpool is as the exciting young team progressing quickly.

Guardian say we've got staff on standby at the French training facility waiting on a Lemar deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Are you incapable of typing 'Rodgers'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Keita in next year.
    AOC confirmed this year.
    Pursuit of Lemar for club record fee ongoing.

It almost makes you nostalgic for the days earlier this year when folk on here were advocating a move for James McLean.

Still time left, mind.

mosstin wrote: »
    Keita in next year.
    AOC confirmed this year.

It almost makes you nostalgic for the days earlier this year when folk on here were advocating a move for James McLean.

Still time left, mind.

Should've gotten Robbie Brady at left back.

So your telling me that Champions League and the prospect of playing the best teams in Europe is not a sway. The manager you have is as well.

Are you incapable of typing 'Rodgers'?

its The Rodgers

Please don't ban me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

its The Rodgers

Outstanding

So your telling me that Champions League and the prospect of playing the best teams in Europe is not a sway. The manager you have is as well.

It got us Mario as Luis replacement the last time so I guess it helps.

So Ox is taking a £60k a week paycut to join us.

FSG fcuking cheapskates again.

I'm surprised to see £35m for a 24 year old arsenal sub being dressed up as a development opportunity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any time I've seen the ox play central he's been sh*te. Although that has been mostly in a midfield two. So i hope Klopp can get him up to speed fairly rapidly cos he's gonna have to learn on his feet how to play that role.
    I'm actually surprised he's gone to liverpool because he's not gonna be a starter here... thought he might have got his game week in week out at chelsea, as an upgrade on moses. Must be the klopp factor, and he must have been promised to play in his preferred role...strange if true because imo thats the position he's been least impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So Ox is taking a £60k a week paycut to join us.

FSG fcuking cheapskates again.

That's pretty impressive to be fair. How much were Chelsea offering?

Liverpool £120k
    Arsenal £180k

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see £35m for a 24 year old arsenal sub being dressed up as a development opportunity :)

You'd rather more whinging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tusky wrote: »

Liverpool £120k
    Arsenal £180k

Thought I read Chelsea were offering 180K.

Liverpool £120k
    Arsenal £180k

That's close to £19m over the course of his 6 year contract that he has given up to join us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The sacrifices that lad is making to fulfil a childhood dream :)

That's close to £19m over the course of his 6 year contract that he has given up to join us.

Shows a lot of self belief I suppose... he must reckon he can negotiate upwards on the strength of his performances for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I haven't been this underwhelmed with a signing since Mané and Wijnaldum

You'd rather more whinging?

Not at all... just surprised. I know folks were blue in the face saying klopp won't spend big money and will buy unknowns and develop them etc... when he doesn't I'm just surprised that the ox signing is being described as a klopp development project.

I can't see ox in our starting 11 barring injury unless at RWB.

Although, klopp apparently learned last Jan the pl needs a squad and not just a first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have a sense that I'm off to a table quiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Trust Klopp absolutely to make AOC an excellent acquisition.

• Advertisement

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Have a sense that I'm off to a table quiz.

Presumably there's food? :D

Augeo wrote: »
    Not at all... just surprised. I know folks were blue in the face saying klopp won't spend big money and will buy unknowns and develop them etc... when he doesn't I'm just surprised that the ox signing is being described as a klopp development project.

I can't see ox in our starting 11 barring injury unless at RWB.

Although, klopp apparently learned last Jan the pl needs a squad and not just a first 11.

Did anyone see Klopp quickly turning a hot-and-cold wing forward from newcastle into our best all round centre-midfielder?

As someone else mentioned, I suspect this is the role Ox will be adding depth to, as well as being backup in the wide forward spots, and at full back.

For outfield players at least, Klopp's judgement has been pretty spot on so far, so I trust him to have seen the attributes he needs in Ox. As did Conte clearly. Speaking of which, that's a nice bonus to this transfer - taking a valued player from Arsenal, and blocking Chelsea, a day before the window shuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mosstin wrote: »
    Keita in next year.
    AOC confirmed this year.

Still time left, mind.

Bet you a tenner Klopp likes McClean. Good player.
    Should've gotten Robbie Brady at left back.

Genuinely should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Presumably there's food? :D

Hope so. Starved. What about yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liverpool £120k
    Arsenal £180k
    That was never confirmed, just a rumour

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement