Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I agree that we need a CB now, and I felt the same way about the LB situation last summer, but Klopp did prove people wrong with Milner at LB. Towards the end of the season he definitely ran out of steam (along with the rest of the squad) but Milner at LB worked.

LB isn't as crucial position in our system unlike CB IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is paul joyce a spoofer ? where was he going saying last night that the club were to spend 175 million pounds today ?

Its **** like this that brings out the anger in us supporters when we are let down again in a transfer window

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So the only hope really is that Gomez shows a level of quality and consistency at centre back that he hasn't shown before.

And tbh, I dont think we should be putting ourselves willingly into this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ygkz4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ballague says we were never in for Lamar.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ballague says we were never in for Lamar.

So we were definitely in for him.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ricero wrote: »
    Is paul joyce a spoofer ? where was he going saying last night that the club were to spend 175 million pounds today ?

Its **** like this that brings out the anger in us supporters when we are let down again in a transfer window

Why on earth are you taking his word as gospel? If he was our CEO then I would say fair enough. Only those in the club know what we have to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Sky saying VVD is staying at Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tbf you're the only one to blame for you acting like a spoilt child for the last 3 months, not journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The whole someone posts Ballague info and then someone else posts "oh must be the opposite then" schtick is tiresome at this stage.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The whole someone posts Ballague info and then someone else posts "oh must be the opposite then" schtick is tiresome at this stage.

Must be not tiresome so.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

+£1

Doodoo wrote: »
    +£1

-£1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We may have to play Can at CB if we get injuries at CB both Matip & Lovren pick up injuries so does Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Dickerty wrote: »
    He can't have a medical without agreeing that with Southampton. We already had to apologize for making an illegal approach, what would we have to do for doing a medical without permission?
    It wasn't an illegal approach - several clubs including Liverpool were given permission by Southampton to speak to the player.

Southampton were furious because the leaked transfer story was everywhere and they were being railroaded into the transfer 'deal'. Their complaint didn't name him per se but it didn't take a genius to figure out that the former player and current member of the club staff referred to was Gerrard.

Everything was fine until quotes from Steven Gerrard appeared at the beginning of June and became the basis for every media outlet's story regarding the transfer. Details included how Liverpool expected to pay up to £60M for the transfer fee, a £200K a week salary had been agreed, the player had chosen Liverpool over Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd etc. Former players and media personalities were talking about it as though it was a done deal despite the fact that the transfer fee was not agreed - Southampton felt they were being bullied into selling the player and reacted accordingly.

Gerrard should have kept his mouth shut - it's possible that we might learn at a later date that he had assumed that the conversation with the journalist was off the record or that he didn't realise the volume of detail they would include in the story.

The public apology by the club was an effort to smooth things over with Southampton and the Premier League enquiry found that Liverpool had done nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

ballyargus wrote: »
    Sky saying VVD is staying at Southampton

I normally don't get too up or down over who we sign or miss out on, but this has really pissed me off. He is the player we needed this summer and we could have given the league a right rattle with him (and Coutinho staying)

Now it's back to playing for the top 4 trophy :(

Lovren just simply isn't good enough.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No CB coming in is incredibly daft. We have had all summer to strengthen a very glaring and obvious weakness in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

MD1990 wrote: »
    We may have to play Can at CB if we get injuries at CB both Matip & Lovren pick up injuries so does Gomez.

Ah now, in fairness, what team has a quality 5th choice CB??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

+£1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Can see a stop gap loan happening in January. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do you ever read beyond the headline? That is the work of the sub-editor and designed to get as many credulous eyeballs as possible.

If you read the body of the article you'll see caveats.

"Liverpool are prepared to pay more than £70 million pounds for Lemar and a similar sum for Virgil Van Dijk the Southampton centre-back, although both clubs have indicated they do not want to sell"

"interest in Lemar, is complicated by Monaco's reluctance to lose another prize asset leave..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

That will definitely convince him to sign a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Lovren, Matip & Ragnar all get injured at the same time and we have to rely on Gomez & Can as our 4th and 5th choice CB's that's actually not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

magma69 wrote: »
    Can see a stop gap loan happening in January. 

As long as we don't use this one exclusively as an emergency striker.

6e26246dc97857f4214b799aa49f8805.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Benimar wrote: »
    I normally don't get too up or down over who we sign or miss out on, but this has really pissed me off. He is the player we needed this summer and we could have given the league a right rattle with him (and Coutinho staying)

Totally agree. I think at best now its a top four finish. A real pity as i thought with one or two more quality signings, we could of gone far in europe and challange for the league title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Ronaldo's transfer to Real Madrid for stupid money around ten years ago (when Europe and the World were going down the financial toilet) was sickening. I tried (and failed) to stop watching football when it happened.

Huge transfer fees are one of the most irritating things in football. Not spending £175 million on 2 or 3 players should not be seen as a "failure". Not ever.

If there is any "failure", it's a lack of impetus to address the key failings in the team. Number one is a lack of leadership in defence, doesn't matter whether it's the GK or CB - we simply don't have it. This season is the proving ground for players occupying those positions and also for Klopp. If we are served with more of the same and there is no move to urgently address it in January then I will ask questions of Klopp, not until then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Gomez is like a new signing, or at least the nearest we will have this window

On the bright side, apart from CB/GK we are in good shape......I think its a mistake not to have gotten some form of cover at CB but thats down to Klopp I guess, if it goes wrong I'll have no sympathy for him as I said, but I also said that about the LB situation last year so......he deserves our trust, even though I dont like it that much.

I'm in the acceptance stage of grief of lack of CB.....join me.....or as Balague would say "unjoin me".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Lovren, Matip & Ragnar all get injured at the same time and we have to rely on Gomez & Can as our 4th and 5th choice CB's that's actually not bad.

The problem for me though, is we're in trouble long before all three of those are injured. I'd have next to no faith in Lovren and Klavan keeping clean sheets.

To be fair, Matip and Lovren at least look alright beside each other. And Matip and Klavan in the short term is ok... but Lovren and Klavan is just asking for trouble. Unfortunately, Matip looks like he's the type of player that will always pick up little injuries if he's not occasionally rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I miss the monday buzz....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The way i look at it. Arsenal bid stupid money blocked lfc there. City chelsea know we get vvd if they bid. Plan is id say lash into it till jan then get cb. He who dares etc..

Missing out on a CB is dumb, there's no reason for us not to get one, but it's not as catastrophic as it's made out to be. Our defence isn't very good, it can't really stand up to Spurs', United's or Chelsea's, but with new fullback options brought in we've still improved on our defence from last season, the defence that played a part in getting us into the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

shamrock55 wrote: »
    sakho is gone,surley we have vvd,would be utter madness to let him go and not get in another cb

We haven't lost anyone from the squad as Sakho wasn't in the squad as hasn't been for over a year. Saying that letting him go without having a replacement is "madness" is just silly.

We do however need cover at CB as a minimum of VVD doesn't arrive.

Johnny Evans anyone? Robert Huth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The problem for me though, is we're in trouble long before all three of those are injured. I'd have next to no faith in Lovren and Klavan keeping clean sheets.

To be fair, Matip and Lovren at least look alright beside each other. And Matip and Klavan in the short term is ok... but Lovren and Klavan is just asking for trouble. Unfortunately, Matip looks like he's the type of player that will always pick up little injuries if he's not occasionally rested.

Matip and Lovren don't look particularly solid together. Lovren will cost us plenty of goals this season. And him and Moreno starting together are an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You would nearly feel sorry for Flanagan even League 1 sides aren't looking for him to buy or bring on loan a total forgotten man.
    No major incomings to Liverpool this evening, no hope of Virgil Van Dijk arriving before 11pm. Only out-goings now, waiting on Markovic

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/903333734346305536

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Benimar wrote: »

TBH, I pretty much agree with this. If we had signed VVD (and keep Coutinho) then I'd have quietly fancied us for a title shot.

I'm aware some people on here don't rate VVD that highly but I'm a huge fan and I genuinely think he would have made a massive difference.

But we made a pigs ear of it early Summer and when Klopp spoke about getting our business done early, I think he had VVD in mind.

Don't know who the genius was who decided that it was a smart move to leak it to the media that he chose us over other clubs but it was the biggest o.g. of the Summer.
    FSG aren't to blame, they gave the funds. But someone within the club make a cock-up by leaking it and it was a huge error.

I actually like Klopp's attitude of staying patient rather than panic buying a CB that he doesn't want.

Stay patient, go back for VVD in Jan or next Summer. Add Keita too and it all knits together.
    We just have to stay patient.

van Dijk isn't the difference between us finishing 4th and winning the title. He'd help, but our defensive issues go deeper than personnel.

• Advertisement

No major incomings

Maybe someone then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You would nearly feel sorry for Flanagan even League 1 sides aren't looking for him to buy or bring on loan a total forgotten man.

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/903333734346305536

If we sell Coutinho on top of all that, we're sending you back to the club's London office with a very different purpose Coulson...

I just wish this wasn't during an international break so we could get back to football.

We haven't lost anyone from the squad as Sakho wasn't in the squad as hasn't been for over a year. Saying that letting him go without having a replacement is "madness" is just silly.

We do however need cover at CB as a minimum of VVD doesn't arrive.

Lucas played at CB a bit last season.... doubt ox or milner will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's that time of year again when a load of 12 year olds got 1k extra followers for taking pictures of vans and paid journalists throw as much muck onto the wall as they can and hope some sticks.

I'd assume if we get into a state like last season where we needed Lucas at CB we'll use Gomez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

van Dijk isn't the difference between us finishing 4th and winning the title. He'd help, but our defensive issues go deeper than personnel.

To be fair, he said the difference between giving the title a right rattle and top 4.

So that could mean 2nd/3rd/4th as opposed to first.

That seems fair enough, margins are fine. A top class CB in place of Lovren could make such a difference, potentially.

It also means Lovren is cover, not Klavan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Vvd is on

Vvd is on

Probably the most unfunny thing I've ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Vvd is on

A(steroids)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Johnny Evans anyone? Robert Huth?

I know you're tongue in cheek here but the overall sentiment of buy a CB, any CB will do is of no use to Klopp.

Having some lump that defends balls into box is of no use to Klopp. He needs to be quick and good at one on ones as that's what he'll have to do a lot. Lovren being quick for a CB is probably why Klopp can deal with him, it's his lapse of concentration that lets him down.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement