Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sakho played 0 games for us last season. Lucas started ahead of Klavan for some reason last season, in reality he's no better than him.

Which is why I said at the start of last season. Lucas is about on the same level of Klavan alright, but he was at least another option. We're a couple of injuries away from having a centre-back pairing of Klavan and Gomez and even our first choice pairing is poor.

The lack of defensive signings is what will see us challenging for third or fourth rather than the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Tusky wrote: »
    Probably our best side?

Mane
    Firmino
    Salah

Coutiniho

Can
    Henderson

Milner--Lovren----Matip---Clyne

Mignolet

Subs:

Attack: Sturridge, Solanke, Ings

Midfield: Wijnaldum, Ox, Lallana

Defence: Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Klavan, Moreno, Robertson

Thoughts: Disappointing that we have only made one improvement to the first 11, particularly in defence. We will continue to ship goals as a result. Our bench is significantly stronger though. Lallana, Ox and Wijnaldum can all fill in in a number of positions. Have Can ahead of them all on current form though.

Add vvd and lemar in there and we got a good squad, now we only have a just about good 15, a few injuries away from being average

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Absolute worldie by Lemar....

#announcelemarnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yep. Liverpool are now in a worse state defensively than they were at the start of last season and the defensive problems of last season arguably cost the club a title challenge.

Liverpool have only conceded in 2 of the last nine league games.

It's arguable that conceding goals cost them the title challenge yes but then again not scoring them against non top six sides did also:

No goal against Southampton home and away
    One goal against palace at home
    No goal against hull away
    No goal against Burnley away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Gomez is being thrown into the mix very early, he only turned 20 at the end of May, but he didn't look out of place at RB against Arsenal and was great for us at LB under Rodgers before his injury. I hope we don't have to rely on him this season but I look forward to seeing his contribution all the same. He could be a big player for us in a few years time.

Edit: He's also just been named the England u21s captain so there's got to be something to him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lemar in celebration rips off his jersey to show an lfc jersey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

2nd in the league. In a relatively easy champion's league group. Recent defensive record (albeit not without moments of panic) is pretty good. A devastating attack, and a more talented squad than we had last year.

There are reasons to be positive guys. Let's leave the jury out until January

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Liverpool have only conceded in 2 of the last nine league games.

Did we not draw 3-3 with Watford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

6/10 for this transfer window. Would have been a 5 only for the fact that we signed Keita but he can't help us for another year.

Somehow we've still left ourselves short in certain areas. No excuse for that. We gambled last season and barely got away with it in that we squeezed into 4th. We're gambling again but we may not get away with this time.

Fans are getting rightly ****ed off over FSG over promising and under delivering. Klopp's magic has glossed over their lack of investment in the squad over the past 4 transfer windows now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ballyargus wrote: »

Read it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

This is becoming a big thing now - there is a stream of U23s heading to Germany in particular to get regular football and obviously they'll pick up some good coaching as well. Klopp ready so to speak.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Great move for Ryan Kent.
    Bundesliga will be interesting with Origi,Kent & Keita all playing there next season.

I'm annoyed they're loaned out. Are they gonna play 50% of games? Hopefully.
    Looks like rotation/rest for our first team is not part of the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

2nd in the league. In a relatively easy champion's league group. Recent defensive record (albeit not without moments of panic) is pretty good. A devastating attack, and a more talented squad than we had last year.

There are reasons to be positive guys. Let's leave the jury out until January

We might make it to January without an injury at the back leaving us very dodgey looking. Or we might not.

Why take the risk? Plenty of decent CB's moved for decent prices this summer who would have at least been an upgrade over Klavan - and many who were good enough to be starters in place of Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Conceded in 2 games, not goals.....made the same mistake :o

ElTel wrote: »

Klopp must be very confident of Sturridge and Ings staying fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

If Liverpool can maintain a title challenge until the start of January and RBL exit the CL, I wonder would it be possible to bring forward that transfer by a few months?

It was January and February that killed us last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like Kent to play but with Salah and Oxlade-Chamberlain (must put that name in my browsers note page) signed there would only be cup games at most.

Thomas Lemar has scored again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Lemar in celebration rips off his jersey to show an lfc jersey :P

If carlsberg did football matches ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Tusky wrote: »
    Probably our best side?

Mane
    Firmino
    Salah

Coutiniho

Can
    Henderson

Milner--Lovren----Matip---Clyne

Mignolet

Subs:

Attack: Sturridge, Solanke, Ings

Midfield: Wijnaldum, Ox, Lallana

Defence: Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Klavan, Moreno, Robertson

Thoughts: Disappointing that we have only made one improvement to the first 11, particularly in defence. We will continue to ship goals as a result. Our bench is significantly stronger though. Lallana, Ox and Wijnaldum can all fill in in a number of positions. Have Can ahead of them all on current form though.

I think Klopp is going to convert Milner into a Swiss Army knife midfielder who can use the defensive attributes he developed last season to do a DM type job if needed and will let Moreno and Robertson battle it out for the LB position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Sakho - arguably the best defender at the club is gone. .

Ah now lets not get carried away, unless he has improved a lot in his absence as players bizarrely tend to do in fans eyes.

But no way on earth is he a better defender than Matip.

Mad prices these days and everyone in football knew he was available at a decent price and the biggest club to go after him was Crystal Palace.

Is he as good as Lovren? Maybe, maybe not. But if he was as good as some on here think then he'd get better offers than Palace.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Klopp must be very confident of Sturridge and Ings staying fit.

Hmm...More signings tonight hopefully. :pac:

• Advertisement

Origi's far better off on loan than as our 5th choice striker, he'd barely get 6 starts here this season. Can't just hoard players and hinder their development for fear of an injury crisis. We'll be fine up front.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Read it again

Love it. And I'm onside with it. It's the epitome of the "glass half full". More of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Fans are getting rightly ****ed off over FSG over promising and under delivering.

That's so funny as they did neither of the things you are attributing to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah now lets not get carried away, unless he has improved a lot in his absence as players bizarrely tend to do in fans eyes.

But no way on earth is he a better defender than Matip.

Mad prices these days and everyone in football knew he was available at a decent price and the biggest club to go after him was Crystal Palace.

Is he as good as Lovren? Maybe, maybe not. But if he was as good as some on here think then he'd get better offers than Palace.

Definitely a better defender than Matip in my opinion. Certainly once the the honeymoon first few months of his arrival were finished.

Not as good with the ball on the deck though.

Sakho much better than Lovren anyway, whatever about Matip.......you run at Lovren and he falls asunder, I have very little faith in him sad to say, Klopp rates him though so, better get used to seeing him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ah well, nothing we can do now.

Hour and a bit left, very much doubt there's going to be any movement.

I'd like Kent to play but with Salah and Oxlade-Chamberlain (must put that name in my browsers note page) signed there would only be cup games at most.

Thomas Lemar has scored again.

Ah yeah. I guess I want these lads starting or on the bench when the main men are given a match off (home to Swansea say before CL)

Ah yeah. I guess I want these lads starting or on the bench when the main men are given a match off (home to Swansea say before CL)

Those guys wouldn't even be the backup though, they'd be the backup's backup. We're still pretty solid in their positions anyway.

e81c4a1c0c13270d9ad93ebd0a0c375b.png

Origi's far better off on loan than as our 5th choice striker, he'd barely get 6 starts here this season. Can't just hoard players and hinder their development for fear of an injury crisis. We'll be fine up front.

He'd get his chance if your "brave" enough to rest each of the first eleven attack once every 9 league games say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Those guys wouldn't even be the backup though, they'd be the backup's backup. We're still pretty solid in their positions anyway.

If he stays Coutinho is in no way a backup player

No Flanagan, Ings or Markovic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Before tonight mbappe and lemar didn't have an international goal between them and they were valued at €260m...madness these prices are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Coutinho only makes the bench :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

e81c4a1c0c13270d9ad93ebd0a0c375b.png

Coutinho deserves some time on the bench :D

NukaCola wrote: »
    No Flanagan, Ings or Markovic....

If Origi is gone, Ings kinda has to stay I think...

Markovic is a weird one... a tiny part of me would actually kind of like us to keep him and try to actually unlock some of that clear potential. But Klopp clearly doesn't fancy him, so it's probably better to just ship him off to anyone who'll have him. After being quite good on loan last season, I'm a bit surprised there isn't more interest in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

We won't have much activity when January comes so I was hoping we could do something today. If memory serves me correctly, Klopp doesn't do January transfers much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Coutinho deserves some time on the bench :D

I'd have wijnaldum, best midfield player we have tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

How do you post that team lineup thingy? I give up!

Coutinho for Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Poor window. Didn't do near enough. We'll look back on this with huge regret in a few month's time.

• Advertisement

I didn't make that line up btw, just took it from a reddit post. It's not necessarily how I'd line the team up, it just shows our depth in each position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pity about VvD

Looks like a bit of a...
    220?cb=20150116004503

On the signing of what was really needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You read windows in how you address frailties and improve further on things you do well. The former has been neglected, in respect of having so much money to spend but not have alternatives in such an important season in the grand scheme. Really? THAT defence and keeper cannot be improved upon for less than 75m?

The Can situation is also irritating and the Keita deal could look like an expensive replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So it's really bad we didn't get a centre half. Stubborn, naive, stupid. Pure Liverpool.

I'm still clinging to the idea that our delegation got a deal and a medical done for Lemar in the last couple of days and it's pending an announcement following the France match. Once reality kicks in though I reckon I'm gonna be fairly f*c king livid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

If this transfer window has taught us anything its that Klopp really doesn't do Plan-B when it comes to defenders, Ballague knows about as much as the average twitter user, David Thompson hasn't a bean, and Dickerty could buy the house you're living in from 3 years wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Get your claws out....

I actually wish we would sign Johnny Evans.....

Discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

jbt123 wrote: »
    Get your claws out....

Discuss.

Yep I'd take him over Lovren anyway,but I wouldn't be excited by signing him either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If this transfer window has taught us anything its that Klopp really doesn't do Plan-B when it comes to defenders, Ballague knows about as much as the average twitter user, David Thompson hasn't a bean, and Dickerty could buy the house you're living in from 3 years wages.

Also throw in there the deal that allows a €180M player (Mbappe) go on loan to PSG to work around the Fifa fair play rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

jbt123 wrote: »
    Get your claws out....

Discuss.

I'd take Ched Evans at this stage.

No I wouldn't. But you see what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

F*ck off Johnny.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement