Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for 19 year old

Options
  • 14-08-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭

An employee of mine is currently looking for insurance on a small van (caddy or similar). He's fully licensed etc and a responsible driver. Most places won't even entertain him and other are quoting 5-6k which is beyond ridiculous. How is a young lad supposed to get on the road these days? And if anybody could reccomend an insurance company that wont quote stupid prices like above could you please tell me. If it's against forum rules then please pm.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Same advice applies as always. Ring around. It's a pain but unfortunately there's no shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Same advice applies as always. Ring around. It's a pain but unfortunately there's no shortcut.

I know I was just asking does anyone know of an insurance company that's given good rates to first time drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Does he have a commercial reason to have a van? It's difficult enough to get a commercial vehicle policy if you don't have an occupation like a plumber etc but add being a young driver to that and I'm surprised he has gotten any quotes at all. I think Patrona (they only quote through brokers) are the most lenient when it comes to occupations but they won't take a young driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Does he have a commercial reason to have a van? It's difficult enough to get a commercial vehicle policy if you don't have an occupation like a plumber etc but add being a young driver to that and I'm surprised he has gotten any quotes at all. I think Patrona (they only quote through brokers) are the most lenient when it comes to occupations but they won't take a young driver.

Well he's an apprentice plumber so he'd want the van for his tools and other jobs he'd be doing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well he's an apprentice plumber so he'd want the van for his tools and other jobs he'd be doing etc.

Good, that will help. I think Liberty are probably the best for young drivers in private motor so it would make sense that they would be good for commercial vehicles.

Your best bet would probably be a broker

• Advertisement
Advertisement