Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android TV (Televisions, not boxes)

Options
  • 14-08-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get a TV with built in Android TV (not just a smart TV, but the Play store and the ability to sideload apps). Argos were selling a line of Philips Android TVs but they've disappeared off the site, Sharp apparently don't sell in Ireland, and Sony are way overpriced. Does anyone know of a way to get a telly with android TV for less than 600 in Ireland? I'm a bit mystified as to how difficult it is for some reason...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

oodles19 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to get a TV with built in Android TV (not just a smart TV, but the Play store and the ability to sideload apps). Argos were selling a line of Philips Android TVs but they've disappeared off the site, Sharp apparently don't sell in Ireland, and Sony are way overpriced. Does anyone know of a way to get a telly with android TV for less than 600 in Ireland? I'm a bit mystified as to how difficult it is for some reason...

I would say TV with Android built in would be expensive. It is debatable whether the OS Android would received regular updates, as there is a small following for built in Android. Another factor is , is there an active online community , this is important , sometimes with any Android Box or TV system
    there will be occasional bugs. With an active online community, there is at least someone to turn to for bug fixes, firmware updates etc

I am not certain , but a TV android solution may be restricted in terms of streaming apps

A decent Minix Android (u9h) would be about 120. The remote is RF controlled ...the remote works , if the Android box is not in view of the remote. I have mine behindthe TV where it cannot be seen, and the remote works perfectly.
    Minix x8h and U1 are less expensive

Either solution will of course work better on a wired rj45 connection , instead of wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

k123456 wrote: »
    I would say TV with Android built in would be expensive. It is debatable whether the OS Android would received regular updates, as there is a small following for built in Android. Another factor is , is there an active online community , this is important , sometimes with any Android Box or TV system
    there will be occasional bugs. With an active online community, there is at least someone to turn to for bug fixes, firmware updates etc

I am not certain , but a TV android solution may be restricted in terms of streaming apps

A decent Minix Android (u9h) would be about 120. The remote is RF controlled ...the remote works , if the Android box is not in view of the remote. I have mine behindthe TV where it cannot be seen, and the remote works perfectly.
    Minix x8h and U1 are less expensive

Either solution will of course work better on a wired rj45 connection , instead of wireless

I'm not really concerned about updates to the OS, as anything over lollipop is stable, and the apps will update themselves through the play store. I'm specifically looking for built in android TV to not have multiple remotes and so that I can sideload apps (you can't do that with other smart TV's, you can with Android TV, as it's a full android os). Philips had a 49" android TV on Argos for €500, but it's not there anymore, so it's not price, just availability. I'm not looking for an android box at all, it's for someone who can't handle more than one remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

there is a "richer Sounds" forum on boards, they might have what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jonosam

oodles19 wrote: »

I bought a demo model Sony Bravia from Harvey Norman (paid about €6/659) thats running android and I'll only buy Sony in the future. It's great at running certain open source media players (far better than the boxes) and I've never had any issues with it. They have updates from time to time but I always leave installing them for 4/6 weeks just incase there are any issues with it.

I suggest just keep an eye on some stores selling the demo modles and if you get one take insurance with it and you are sorted if any problem arise.

Advertisement