Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C section Vs Vaginal birth

Options
  • 15-08-2017 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,
    So as the title suggests I would absolutely love to hear any experiences from people who have had both a c section and a vaginal birth. Which did you prefer pros and cons!

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I had a planned c section 3 years ago. I am happy I had as there were a number of factors why it was indicated. However I hated it, the recovery how drugged I was. How powerless I felt. They had me in bed with a catheter for 24 hours after felt so trapped and stressed trying to take care of a newborn as a first time mum. Also the drugs made me loopy I had like what felt like drunken flash backs afterwards. Also the pain and feeling like your insides might fall out ha.

But at least I would know what to expect and would hope not seem so weird and scary second time around. Vaginal I think is great but I'm terrified of tearing badly. Like can I ask those in general who have had vaginal births what kind of tearing
    have you had or how many stitches? What was the hardest
    part or labour for you? I know these are fairly personal questions, I hope you don't mind me asking as it's sort of anonymous on here!

Any stories, advice etc I would love to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Missjuly I never had a c section so can't compare! I don't want one this time round but if it has to be done it has to be done ;)

I found the tiredness was the worst with the labour on my son as it just went on for so so long. I didn't get an epidural but I am sure that would of helped me!!
    I had a second degree tear and stitches....can't remember how many stitches....they were absolutely grand! Nothing to be worried/afraid about.
    It was a bit stingy when midwife stitches me up but I was so focused on my baby I didn't care.
    Down below healed grand...no problem at all. :) no probs going to the loo after which I know some people fear! I didn't use squirty bottle or tea tree oil etc that other people use. I was walking around literally straight after the birth. Went home a few hours later.
    :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had a vaginal birth and had an episiotomy so there was quite a bit of "repairs" done down there. Honestly, it was grand. If had an epidural so I didn't feel them stitching me up.

It was sore for about 10 days after when getting in and out of bed, but they gave me painkillers and it was ok. The stitches dissolve and you don't need to have them taken out or anything.

Everything went completely back to normal fairly quickly, and the scar isn't even visible. In terms of having a wee, I didn't experience any discomfort. Pooping was scary the first time (I was scared the stitches would burst) but it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I was induced on my first and had a very long labour but baby got stuck after an hour of pushing and so had an emergency section. Second time round I went for a planned section.

So I cant comment on the recovery from a vaginal delivery but for my next pregnancy I considered all options and one thing you need to factor into your decision is that as you have already had a section you will be required to have constant monitoring during labour which severely limits your ability to move around when you have contractions. Being forced into a particular position to monitor the baby while having a contraction is not a fun experience. AFAIK You can request a hand held monitor but it depends on your hospital and their availability.

Personally I loved the planned C section, I found it far less exhausting than the whole labour process but I found recovery very easy and was out of the hospital in 3 days second time around. Obviously everybody has a different labour and recovery experience but fair play to you for looking at all your options. I'd recommend a v-bac class if your hospital run them, I found it very informative when making my decision. I believe there's a very active group on facebook as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi missjuly!

I had an emergency section last year and my experienced was nothing like yours. I can't remember when the catheter was taken out exactly, but I was up and had a shower 12hrs later and I'm almost certain it had been taken out by then. It was definitely out in less than 24hrs. I was also surprisingly clear headed afterwards and remember quite a bit of detail of the whole day. And as for pain I didn't really have any from the section. I kept on top of it by taking every bit of pain relief that was offered, even if I didn't feel like I needed it at the time (I learned the hard way from a previous surgery I'd had).

Just keep in mind that like every pregnancy and natural delivery, each section is also very different and if you need to have a section this time around your experience may be very different too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anne2014

My experience was similar to scarepanda's. I was up and about 12 hrs after section and had very little pain. It was an emergency section so the worst part was the 3 day labour beforehand. Having said that I'd like to try for a vaginal birth this time if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've had three vaginal deliveries- first was OP presentation, pushing phase went on for a good while (I have no idea how long it actually was), an episiotomy and a few stitches (4 I think)-recovery was grand though. I had an epidural, but it didn't work very well, which made me cross! Obviously I was a bit sore, but I was up and moving after a few hours, and out for walks etc a few days after i got home!
    Second was a very quick normal delivery, second degree tear. No pain relief, and it was amazing to be able to hop up and into the shower as soon as I wanted! Healing was fine- same as first time really! I needed my painkillers for a few days, but that was it!
    Third was another quick normal delivery- No pain relief there either, but I had to have a manual removal of my placenta, and I also had a third degree tear, so I Had to go theatre, and have a spinal block. I was very cross after going without an epidural- it was a really hot day, and all I wanted was a shower and to walk around my room! It was, however, my easiest recovery- no pain whatsoever. I didn't take a paracetamol after I left the hospital, and I took very little pain relief in the hospital either, mainly "just in case"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I had a vaginal delivery after being induced (but not on the drip). My labour was fast and intense (thank you God for epidurals), but I needed a lot of stitching. They wouldn't tell me how many stitches, just that they had to work upwards through the layers of tissue so it's just one big continuous stitch?! But they took about 90 mins to stitch me up, and needed to call another doctor in for a second opinion so I imagine it wasn't the most straightforward job.

Afterwards they left a bit of a gap in the stitches, about 1cm, which midwives were concerned about but the doctor wasn't. I found it quite uncomfortable and sore, so took painkillers as often as recommended and used loads of witch hazel (god send). A few days after I got home, they started to get more painful. Turns out they were infected so I went back to the hospital and needed two weeks of antibiotics for it to clear.

I found recovery more slow and more difficult than I thought it would be, pain-wise and in terms of blood loss and pelvic floor recovery (I had very little bladder control in the first week, and continued to leak small amounts of urine for around three months. I went to the hospital physio and it cleared up with a further three months of exercises). Despite that, I still would be keen to have a vaginal delivery on the next baby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I had two vaginal births.Labours were seven and five hours roughly.Second degree tear on both.I only had gas and air and to be honest I don't really remember no.1 that well but it went quite smoothly.My massive fear second time round was feeling the tear.So I made sure to breathe in less gas and air (I know...crazy!!!) Second time round, and honestly I can tell you now, you do not feel it happening.Second time round I gave birth kneeling upright, it was something I hoped to be able to do and I put in my birth plan that I would like to be assisted to give birth upright. It's more natural, you are more in control and gravity is your friend in this situation!!!!But it certainly made second time round a great experience, in so far as it can be!

Some stitches on both...can't tell you how many really.Recovery was good.Able to get in the shower an hour after the birth and great to be able to get in the car and drive within a week or so of birth (especially with no.2 because i had a toddler at home going stir crazy!!!).Beastfeeding really helped second time round my body returned to normal very quickly. I see a c-section as the hard option to be honest....if we were to go again I'd take a vaginal birth any day!!

Shesty totally agree....really don't want a c section!!
    I was a real rascal....have birth on Friday and drove to get my nails done 3 days later on the Monday!!!! I have a nail appointment booked week before I am due this time.....hoping that they can just use my toenails if needs be in case I need c section! Will ask my consultant on Friday!
    1st world problems LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

CS on first following failed induction. Recovery wasn;t too bad, looking back. Was given option of VBAC v CS but after some consideration, have opted for planned section cos at least I know what's involved, it wasn't awful and because i can forward plan to have family come to help, who have a distance to travel, to help with my son. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Similar to Shesty.

Had 2 vaginal births with quick recovery time. Just feel a bit more loose downstairs but nothing shocking.

1st, had epidural. Way too numb and didn't feel a thing. Lots of stitches but good recovery. Bruising quite sore for day or two.

2nd, had an epidural which wore off fast so only relied on gas and air. Very painful but actually liked the challenge of it! Felt complete euphoria when giving birth which made up for the pain.

Sorry I just couldn't stomach the thought of a c section. Also, with another child who needed to be dropped to Montessori and very little support, there was no way I could stop driving for any length of time. Was back driving within a week.

From what I saw on the ward with sections, you have to be so careful with stitches and lifting other children for example.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That's how I felt RomanticRose, especially second time round.Despite feeling very nervous about it, I sort of saw it as a challenge for myself....could I do it the way I wanted to and how far could I get with minimal pain relief. :-) Luckily I had no complications and my labours were short, relatively speaking.I was still amazed both times though at how quickly I was up and about and ok, despite having put my body through such a massive physical effort and produced a person only days beforehand!!! Nature is amazing.

Girls I am the same about driving....my 3 year old starts back on 31st august at monte this baby is due anytime around then. Luckily monte is walking distance
    but still couldn't image being able to drop and collect (walking) after getting out of hospital after a c section. I would prefer a few stitches down below ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Thank you so so much for all the replies! I love reading peoples birth stories and experiences. Has given me alot to think about. Some really good information. One thing it has done is made me less scared of tearing. I love the fact that so many of you were able to be up moving around having showers and then driving so soon after. I would love that!! But Xalot what you have said is very true.I have heard that with a VBAC you"re heavily monitored and often get unnecessary interventions because your higher risk, as such. Scarepanda and Anne2014 that's great you were up and moving after 12 hours. I really don't know like I did react fairly badly to the drugs, the next day I remember having a flash back to telling a midwife that I couldn't talk to her because I was too itchy( I was so so itchy ). I remember she looked at me funny and I said to my husband she just doesn't understand 😂😂🙈, mortified!! I just remember my family being so worried I was just not with it . I also think I had a bleed so maybe that's why I was bed bound for 24 hours. I am not sure if it counts as a bleed per se but a few hours after surgery the midwife checked under covers and then ran and got another midwife and when I looked down the whole bed was covered in blood. They just changed the covers and kept checking me.

Jim29 such a pity you went through the whole labour without pain relief to then get it afterwards. Good to hear your recovery went well :-). Catrionic I have heard of a few people with similar post birth complaints but it's great you are all recovered now.
    Millem love your nail priorities why not. But yeah I get what you are saying prefer a few stitches down below then a c section recovery...sums up how I feel...my fear is that it will be more than a few stitches or end up with a C section anyways. 73trix I really do like the idea of being able to plan ahead it's a big bonus with a planned c section. Shesty yes nature and women are amazing. I have said to my husband if he was able to birth this baby it would be his turn 😂😂

Just to say I had the monitor on with no.1....I was being treated for strep B and my waters broke naturally before anything else happened (like on TV!!!!).The labour was moving but they gave me oxytocin for a little while to move it a bit more because they wanted her out (strep b and waters gone).I did still manage to labour mostly upright, kneeling.I only gave birth lying down because the midwife wanted to check how far I was and asked me to lie down and I was too far gone to worry much about getting back up!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi missjuly!

Your being out of it afterwards could have been a mixture of the medication they gave you not quite suiting you (I presume you were awake during the section?) And if you had a bleed especially afterwards. I don't know if the timing makes any difference but I lost 3/4 times more blood than expected during the section and I felt grand afterwards.

I am just after having gyne related keyhole surgery, where I lost blood during and after the procedure (I lost nearly as much with the drain in about 18 hrs as I did during the procedure itself) and from the time I woke up in recovery to the next morning is all a blur to me even though my OH said I seemed fully with it when they got me back to the ward. They had a lot of trouble getting and keeping my blood pressure under control. The meds were basically the same as the section because I'm still breastfeeding and I lost less blood over all, but I feel like all my memories are flashbacks even though I know I was awake and 'with it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hi girls. Baby no.2 on way here. Due in January. Ended up emergency section with no.1 because cord was round his neck.
    Was with midwife earlier in summer and she gave me my appointment to meet with consultant and discuss my options. I stupidly thought it was just a case of vaginal birth next time round but she said no the consultant will discuss options.
    I am very open to vaginal birth but my concern is adhesions on my section scar. Had a chest infection a few weeks ago and thought scar was gonna open with all the coughing!! Can just feel a tightness there. Even when pooing i can feel a pulling sensation (sorry if you eating your brekkie!)
    Should this be a concern if considering vaginal next time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

heldel00 wrote: »
    Hi girls. Baby no.2 on way here. Due in January. Ended up emergency section with no.1 because cord was round his neck.
    Was with midwife earlier in summer and she gave me my appointment to meet with consultant and discuss my options. I stupidly thought it was just a case of vaginal birth next time round but she said no the consultant will discuss options.
    I am very open to vaginal birth but my concern is adhesions on my section scar. Had a chest infection a few weeks ago and thought scar was gonna open with all the coughing!! Can just feel a tightness there. Even when pooing i can feel a pulling sensation (sorry if you eating your brekkie!)

I have a friend who had an emergency section on her first. Had an early scan on her second where they picked up adhesions. Had to have a scheduled section where they tried to remove as many of them as they could. Same thing with third, had an early scan then scheduled section.
    She wasn't given an option of VBAC with either the 2nd or 3rd pregnancies once the adhesions were spotted. Mind you this would have been 12-14 years ago so there might have been advancements since.

heldel00 wrote: »

Every situation is different. My consultant suggested I try for VBAC and I am completely on board with that. A friend of mine was told she has to have a planned section (same consultant). They won't let you try for a VBAC unless they feel it is safe to do so.

Scaredpanda I think it could have been to do with the bleeding alright. I had an appointment in hospital today and I was discussing my previous C section annoyingly my book of notes from last pregnancy wasn't there. But I mentioned to the doctor about the bleed in the bed and she said well there are drugs they can give to reduce that and I said I was on a syntocin drip when I left theatre and was for a few hours. She seemed surprised by this and said I must have had a bleed during surgery. She said she wanted to see my previous notes. I also had insanely large blood clots after the like I would say he size of a 6 inch pizza ( same shape too). Midwife had to check they weren't placental. Honestly can't believe I just typed that out 🙈.So she said risk of bleeding after c section is higher. But also thinks that if I do go into labour (she said they won't induce me) that I have a 50 50 chance of a VBAC or it ending in emergency section. I think she is factoring in the fact I had gestational diabetes. So now I'm terrified of bleeding after and then if I try a VBAC it ending in.an emergency section.

Heldel the fact you went into labour yourself is a really good sign for a successful VBAC I think. I asked the doctor about pain inym scar going to toilet and when I had my period she said it's not necessarily a sign to not go for a VBAC...but I don't know

• Advertisement

It's so hard to know missJuly, I'm due this day 2 weeks and still don't know what way it's gonna go. I'm really hoping for a VBAC but if I don't go by 40 weeks it'll be a planned section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Having had both I'd opt for VB any day. Yes the labour is tough but you're over it and up on your feet quickly even with an epidural. With a section the delivery is easier but the recovery is tough...and painful and it makes it harder to look after your baby, you'll need more help. It's major surgery don't underestimate it. I had CS and twins to look after. I left the hospital early as I had little help with them at night as the hospital was so busy and I was so sore it was tough to cope. It took months to get back to normal TBH so I'd say VB is better.

Ah Anne I hope you get your VBAC fingers crossed you do and everything goes well! You don't have long either way untill you meet your baby 😀. Screamer I completely agree well I haven't had a vaginal but my c section really knocked me took a long time till I felt "normal" was so sore and weak. Us poor women eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It's very difficult as each individuals experiences are different... I ended up having an emergency section and my recovery was a dream. I was never in terrible pain, I weaned down from the opioid painkillers on day two and was fine with just Difene and Paracetamol. Zero complications and zero issues, I was out for gentle walks within a few days of coming home and driving at four weeks post-section

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've never had a section, two vaginal deliveries here.
    First was an induced labour as I was two weeks overdue, no complications although the midwives did encourage me to spend a lot of time on my back which I know now was no help at all. I had 5 stitches and admittedly it stung like hell the first time I peed, but after about 2 seconds of stream, it stopped burning and didn't hurt after that. The first time I pooed it felt really odd, but absolutely no pain or discomfort after all my worrying. I was terrified to have sex with my husband, was convinced it would hurt, so I delayed it quite a bit. 6 weeks later we went for it and it was 100% like normal. Did not experience any issues with being loose, for either of us.
    Second was very fast, my first labour starting of its own accord. MLU care, laboured standing, gave birth kneeling. No tear at all. It was almost 11.30am and I asked if I could go home, but I was told baby would have to see the resident doctor for the routine "all clear" and if I went home I'd just have to come back the following morning (hospital is an hour away).

After Baby 1 I was walking and moving quite normally within a day. After Baby 2, I was fine straight after.

Sorry not up on my medical speak but when the epidural wore off during my last delivery, after the delivery I was given a localised injection to ease pain of stitches. Just in case you are worried you're not going to have any pain relief for that.

Best thing to do is try to distract yourself and think of what would be the best thing to treat yourself with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've had two of each. Whatever you choose is up to you and you should feel no judgement over what you choose. Epidurals can be topped up if they wear off. You can have a lovely gentle ceserean experience if that's what you choose.

January wrote: »
    I've had two of each. Whatever you choose is up to you and you should feel no judgement over what you choose. Epidurals can be topped up if they wear off. You can have a lovely gentle ceserean experience if that's what you choose.

Just to give my own experience but when my epidural wore off, I was given a top up and it still didn't do anything for me. I either wasn't given the correct dosage or drug. Anyway, in the end I didn't mind, I preferred not being too numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I had both. VBAC with the first, 16 hours of labour and he was a lazy thing but eventually came out. I didn't have any medication at all and it was very painful but I was grand afterwards and went to the toilet on my own just an hour later (didn't have it in Ireland though). Had the monitor on the whole time and found that quite annoying.

With the second I had a section scheduled because she was breech. Still went into labour a week before and had an emergency section. Honestly, I didn't mind any of it, I was just happy that I'm not pregnant anymore and recovered very fast. I was allowed to drive 2 weeks later again.
    It was a bit of a relief to know I don't need to squeeze another one out down there.

In fairness, I had relatively easy births with both. I recovered very well with both, even though if I ever get pregnant again, which I don't hope, I'd probably choose the section because I already had one. I know I'd constantly worry about my scar, it might be irrational but still, it's stress nonetheless for myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement