Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the taxi drivers in Dublin seem more aggressive since the MPDL? (mod note post #8)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hauki wrote: »
    They are a clear danger to themselves and other road users.
    Are many people killed by this 'clear danger' each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

You must understand that someone doesn't need to die in order for some behavior to be dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Not always. I had one do it to me on OConnell St to answer his phone. Seen another parked on a cycle lane counting his takings..
    Yes, but my comment was in relation to papu's comment about taking on and letting off fares.

See below.
    papu wrote: »
    ...and stopping in ridiculous places with no warning to take on and let off fares......

Hauki wrote: »
    You must understand that someone doesn't need to die in order for some behavior to be dangerous?
    So no deaths then - are many people injured as a result of this behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Presumably at the behest of those fare payers.

Presumably there is a way to collect and drop off fares that doesn't endanger other road users...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

crosstownk wrote: »
    While I usually have more encounters with taxi drivers, I do think that it is simply down to the fact that I share bus lanes with them and therefore encounter them a lot more than private cars.

That said, I find Dublin Bus drivers to be a lot more 'cyclist friendly' than taxi drivers. I also find Aircoach drivers to be very accommodating. Other private coach companies can be hit and miss.

While taxi drivers drive for a living, they are not professional drivers. Professional driver training is neither given nor required.

This.

And it's obvious that Dublin Bus drivers get continuous training/updated training as road/traffic conditions and cultures change and new scenarios are happening. Somebody is talking to them, they must be having meetings, memos, they're up-grading their driving. They are professionals and I find they've professionally improved and moved with the times regarding their driving and cyclists. Personally, it's reciprocated when buses need to pull out, pull in. I'll signal clearly and give them space and room.

I don't think taxi drivers have this advantage to deal with changing situations like certain areas reverting back to cycling. They're left with peer chat, banter on the ranks, on the road and in taxi offices with no alternative reasoning. This can lead to "perceived" rules and laws, how to deal with perceived problems along with entrenched attitudes.

I've been in taxis when the drivers been talking about cyclists and on more than one occasion their perception of the law and what they can and can't do is bonkers. Seriously, things like a twelve inch curbside rule for cyclists, illegal for cyclists to overtake each other, illegal to cycle without a helmet, illegal for cyclists to change lane... they simply don't have continuous or upgraded training. And some aren't up with the rules of the road. Most are. But some and I say some have not got a clue. They're relying on taxi rank banter.

The ones that post on forums like these would be the ones that would be more clued in. No point in preaching to them.

The cyclists that post on forums like these would be the ones that would be more clued in too!

So, taking the mod warning in the thread, this is just an observation on some taxi drivers. There's a lack of training and skill support for professional taxi drivers and that lack of ongoing training to deal with new and evolving changes in areas that taxi's operate in is glaringly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Cycling is now the most dangerous form of transport for young men in Ireland so I would say a lot of beginner cyclists are killed because they don't know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

marcus001 wrote: »
    Cycling is now the most dangerous form of transport for young men in Ireland so I would say a lot of beginner cyclists are killed because they don't know what they're doing.
    Where did you get that statistic?

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/
    RSA wrote:
    [In 2016] there were 81 Drivers killed, 38 Passengers, 35 Pedestrians, 22 Motorcyclists and 10 Pedal Cyclists.

Just on the face of it those stats seem to confirm what I said. About 8 times as many drivers were killed than cyclists. Do you think there are only 8 times more drivers than cyclists?

But here's an article about the actual study:

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/trinity-ucd-study-suggests-cycling-13149050

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just on the face of it those stats seem to confirm what I said. About 8 times as many drivers were killed than cyclists. Do you think there are only 8 times more drivers than cyclists?

But here's an article about the actual study:

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/trinity-ucd-study-suggests-cycling-13149050

Have you read the study itself?

• Advertisement

Good question. I'm fairly sure there is no indication that most of the cyclists killed are Young or Men - but hey, keep blaming the victims, it's so much easier than really addressing the issue.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Have you read the study itself?

I've better things to be doing tbh

Advertisement