Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant not keeping house clean

Options
  • 15-08-2017 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

Have a tenant in my old house for a few years. Did an inspection this morning to make sure the place was intact.

It was fine, no damage done or anything broken etc. But the house was very dirty. He's a single guy living alone, and it's just a bit manky.

Toilet stained and dirty, shower tray grubby. Cobwebs thick in the corners of the ceiling and that kind of thing.

Do I have the right to complain about this? Obviously if the house was falling into disrepair I would pull him up on it but does the standard tenancy agreement give any obligation to keep the house clean and tidy?

Of course if he moved out and left it in that state I would get someone in and dock his deposit for the cleaning cost. But can I give him a warning for the dirt of the house now, or is that likely to get ME in bother with the PRTB rather than him?

Aside from that he's a decent tenant and I have no hassle with him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is there anything in the lease about keeping the place clean? There's nothing in the RTA that obligates the tenant to keep the place clean to any particular standard so it would revert to what's in the lease. Any warning you might give must include a reference to an obligation otherwise you're moving the goalposts. If the lease doesn't have anything in it for cleaning then you might suggest to him that better care of the place is needed to maintain it and prevent pests (if for example the kitchen is dirty with food).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Could you tell him you werent happy with the place and ask him to arrange for a cleaner to give it a total clean at his cost? I'm not sure the ins and outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am pretty sure the costs of a clean between tenancies is on the LL.

Unless there is dirt, stains etc which fall outside of the everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bring it up with the tenant and increase the frequency of inspections. A few years is far too long between inspections for your own sake especially.

I would approach it with the tenant in a calm way such as you would hate to have to withold some of the deposit due to a "Deep" clean being required at the end of the tenancy. Not a threat, but a helpful hint for him to stay on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

what planet do u live on or is this a wind up
    If a tenant doesn't keep their place its none of ur damn business tenants have rights
    and don't think you gouge his deposit for cleaning because in this country its our last months rent end of.
    And one day threshold will finish u and ur kind off
    Renters in Ireland are different.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Jaysus...it only took six posts before a Ranty McRantface dropped in spouting about types etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

As a renter I would be embarrassed to have an inspection with landlord having the house in that sort of state! Myself and my partner have long commutes and work long hours so we get a cleaner in every so often if we need to keep on top of things.
    I would absolutely expect to get a bollocking from landlord or an agent if the place wasn't clean, but definitely give the lad a chance to make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

rossmores wrote: »
    and don't think you gouge his deposit for cleaning because in this country its our last months rent end of.

Your deposit is not your last month's rent. Cleaning costs can be taken from the deposit if the place is not left in a similar state to what it was received in.

Threshold are an advice agency, nothing more. Even then, their advice can be questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Do I have the right to complain about this? Obviously if the house was falling into disrepair I would pull him up on it but does the standard tenancy agreement give any obligation to keep the house clean and tidy?
    No.

Like you say, disrepair is one thing. Damage is another.

If he was leaving plates of food around for roaches and ants to get into, then you have a decent case.

But dust, grime and cobwebs? Nah. You're the landlord, not his mother. It's not your place to dictate how he lives. Why do you care if the place is clean & tidy? You don't have to live in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'd be telling you where to go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

seamus wrote: »
    No.

Like you say, disrepair is one thing. Damage is another.

If he was leaving plates of food around for roaches and ants to get into, then you have a decent case.

But dust, grime and cobwebs? Nah. You're the landlord, not his mother. It's not your place to dictate how he lives. Why do you care if the place is clean & tidy? You don't have to live in it.

This pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Paulw wrote: »
    Your deposit is not your last month's rent. Cleaning costs can be taken from the deposit if the place is not left in a similar state to what it was received in.

Threshold are an advice agency, nothing more. Even then, their advice can be questionable.

Cleaning costs can not be taken from the deposit.

This is often a very convenient way for a LL or agency to avoid getting a place ready for viewing condition.

It is perfectly understandable that a place can be left perfectly clean but the LL or agency want a cleaner in regardless and the Tenant does not have to pay.

I once took two days of to give a property a God clean before a hardback and the agent ran her finger across a top cupboard, found a bit of dust and said she'd have to get a cleaner in from the deposit.

Needless to say a row ensured. Id advise any tenant not be fooled in such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If a tenant doesn't keep their place its none of ur damn business tenants have rights

Jaysus what is this country coming to - This whole culture of entitlement is getting out of control but demanding the right to live like a fúcking pig in someone elses house, are you actually serious!

If you hired out a car, or a suit or anything else for that matter - you are FULLY expected to take care of it and give it back in the same condition you got it in. If you don't they WILL charge you for putting it back in that condition - and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

People have varying standards of cleanliness. My skirting boards can easily go a few weeks without dusting, whereas other people I know would have them spotless. But is my house unclean or unhygenic - no way.

As long as it's not squalid, damaging the house or likely to result in infestation, I don't believe you have grounds to say anything. The house has to be handed back in the same condition as received, with allowance for wear and tear of course.

Nothing at all to stop you mentioning it to him that you'd like to see it kept a bit cleaner.

Talk from either side of enforceable rights and obligations is way over the top.

Anything above normal wear and tear is deductible from deposit. Anything that can be put in order with a good clean is probably not reasonably covered here.

Can't we all just get along!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Jaysus what is this country coming to - This whole culture of entitlement is getting out of control but demanding the right to live like a fúcking pig in someone elses house, are you actually serious!

If you hired out a car, or a suit or anything else for that matter - you are FULLY expected to take care of it and give it back in the same condition you got it in. If you don't they WILL charge you for putting it back in that condition - and rightly so.

But this is different. It's the tenents house for the lease. Once it's handed back as it was the first day minus wear and tear, well, there's not much to do.

I don't really agree with it, but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ah yea, I agree - once it's handed back in the condition it was received then there's no harm done.
    My problem is with the attitude that I can leave the place in a state but don't you dare touch my deposit to clean up after me - that's just entitled bullshít and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

To those who have offered helpful suggestions, thanks a million.

To those who have gone bananas and painted me as some kind of Hitler, don't be silly. You have no idea of the circumstances or what I am like as a landlord.

I'm not just talking about clutter and dust.

I'm talking about grime and filth built up so heavily on the toilet that it may end up stained beyond cleaning.

I've seen toilets in abandoned houses and homes of older people that are so jammed up with dirt and limescale that they would need a hammer and chisel to clean up and I'm sorry but I'm not about to do that.

I don't like chasing the tenant for anything. If anything I'm too soft. Others have said I should be inspecting more often but I don't like to intrude. I haven't raised the rent in 3 years. I have often accommodated late rent by 2 or 3 weeks without any fuss. I recently took a trailer load of rubbish to the dump for the tenant because he had let it build up and the neighbours complained. In short, I am a fecking dream landlord!

All I ask is that the property is kept in a reasonable condition. If they want to live in filth that's fine. But if that filth has the potential to leave permanent damage above normal wear and tear then I'm entitled to expect that that doesn't happen.

The tenancy agreement does state that the internal of the property must be kept in a "good and clean condition". I have sent a polite message asking if he could clean the place up a bit based on the fact that if the toilet, shower etc end up stained beyond repair then it might lead to a bill for him on departure.

I expect to have to clean a property after a tenant leaves. Even if they clean up, they are unlikely to have it as clean as a new tenant will expect. In the same way I expect to have to give it a lick of paint etc.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Once it's handed back as it was the first day minus wear and tear, well, there's not much to do.

I agree and have no issue with that. The problem is that I fear the level of filth already built up on the toilet in particular will end up incapable of being handed back anywhere near the condition it was handed over.
    seamus wrote: »
    It's not your place to dictate how he lives. Why do you care if the place is clean & tidy? You don't have to live in it.

See above. I don't care how he lives. I care if he leaves the place so dirty that it can't be properly cleaned and we end up with a dispute over the cost of a new loo!

I'm curious, what is "my kind" exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's functionally nothing you can do to a toilet dirt-wise that a good deep clean won't fix. Most of the tarnish-like stains are down to hard water.

If your inspection reveals damage or stains that you believe would require substantial effort beyond a deep clean, then you are well within your rights to point these out to the tenant.

It would be reasonably expected that a landlord would give a property a top-to-bottom deep clean between lettings, so any complaint on your behalf should be limited to issues which wouldn't be addressed by such a cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe there is no legal requirement to clean but surely letting dirt build up can lead to more wear and tear than necessary. Maybe just send him an email or text saying that the place seemed relatively well kept but that you would like him to keep the place cleaner and that you will have an inspection in another couple of months? It is for his own good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

You could nearly revert and ask you is this a wind up..
    How would you like it if something you spent a lot of money on was being dirtied or wrecked by someone else. Yes they do have right, but im sure if the position was switched you would look out for your best interested and that is to keep the place relatively clean. The cleanliness should be given back to me in the same state i gave it in. I might be one of those hitler ll that "gouge" people of their money if they god forbid damage something that doesnt belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lux23 wrote: »
    It is for his own good too!

How's it for his own good?

I could see it if there was a health issue. But a few stains on the toilet - get out of here, that's not a health issue.

How's it for his own good?

I could see it if there was a health issue. But a few stains on the toilet - get out of here, that's not a health issue.

If (and it's a big if) the toilet ends up so badly coated in dirt, limescale, shyte or whatever that it requires more than the standard deep clean that any landlord should be giving it, then the cost of a professional industrial cleaner should not be coming from my pocket.

It should be coming from his, which means that prevention is better than cure, hence "for his own good".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Did you check the oven?

myshirt wrote: »
    Did you check the oven?

*shudder

I didn't, but I suspect he doesn't cook much so hopefully it's fine.

I'll check next time.

• Advertisement

Advertisement