Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New frame rear spacing.

Options
  • 15-08-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

looking for a bit of advice following on from a comment in a separate post from Ford2600 who got me thinking about rims and wheels.

I am getting a new Mercian frame built at present. This will be my main bike for years I hope. It is a King of Mercia with standard rear axle width of 130mm so can take standard road wheels.
    I will be using the bike for leisure cycling and a bit of light touring.

I am now wondering if I would be better getting the rear end built with 135 width to take something like an A719 rim on Deore hubs for resilience in case I ever want to bring a bit more on touring trips.

Or else getting a special wheel build of an A719 rim on an Ultegra hub just for touring and using a normal road wheel otherwise and leave the width at 130mm.

Advantage of this is that I have plenty of standard road wheels which I could then use when not touring.

hope I haven't confused anybody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The advantage of the wider axle is there is more room for cassette (and brake disc) so there is more room for wider spoke flanges on the hub. All of that means you end up with a stronger wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I think if you have lots of 130mm spacing wheels you should stick with that spacing.

Or, go with the 135mm and then get another bike so all your 130mm spaced wheels don't go to waste!

Either way, it's going to be a cracking bike, looking forward to seeing pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Miklos wrote: »
    I think if you have lots of 130mm spacing wheels you should stick with that spacing.

Or, go with the 135mm and then get another bike so all your 130mm spaced wheels don't go to waste!

Either way, it's going to be a cracking bike, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Well I have 2 other older bikes with standard spacing so wheels wont go to waste!

Advertisement