Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an irish word

Options
  • 15-08-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Seems like an Irish word that sort of passed into hiberno english
    It sounds like 'too-plish'
    It roughly means 'problem' or small issue that bothers you
    Eg on holidays I always have some 'tooplish' eg a pain in my leg, feeling nauseated etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Cruacheist? maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Seems like an Irish word that sort of passed into hiberno english
    It sounds like 'too-plish'
    It roughly means 'problem' or small issue that bothers you
    Eg on holidays I always have some 'tooplish' eg a pain in my leg, feeling nauseated etc

Maybe you should stay at home then!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Wow. Did you know the word or just google the sound of it? In any case, thanks a million.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wow. Did you know the word or just google the sound of it? In any case, thanks a million.

I didn't know the word, but I had a good enough idea of where to go to find it! :) I've been studying and working through Irish for about a decade at this stage, so it was easy enough to guess the spelling from the sound you suggested.

• Advertisement

I see. How do you study Irish? (I can't imagine there is a multitude of resources.) Is it for business or pleasure?

I see. How do you study Irish? (I can't imagine there is a multitude of resources.) Is it for business or pleasure?

I studied it in college while training to be a teacher, and kept it up with a post-grad course afterwards. I still help out students at secondary and third level so I'm always learning new stuff about the literature and sociolinguistics sides of things. Just spent 6 of the last 10 weeks teaching in the Gaeltacht as well.

You could say it's a decent mixture of pleasure and business at this stage. I'm always getting new ideas for my own writing and visiting interesting parts of the country. I just happen to get paid for it, sometimes. :D

As for resources, there are plenty if you know where to look. Some of the grammar books are great, but the daddy of them all can be viewed for free online (Graiméar Gaeilge na mBráithre Críostaí) and there's a lot of Irish activity on Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and YouTube.

Cool. Do you happen to know of any good irish podcasts?

Advertisement