Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Sleep

Options
  • 15-08-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

My four year old just recently gave up her soother and it's been a struggle trying to get her to sleep. I gradually started reducing the soother since she was three.. only having it at 6pm then as we were coming towards her birthday, she only had it in bed and put it away the minute she woke. She would fall asleep within 30 seconds of having the soother. Her bed time was between 7-8 and now I'm finding it hard to get her asleep before 8.30.. it's usually nearer to 9 by the time she falls asleep, after a lot of protests, "I'm not tired" and messing. I read her a story/stories, and I stay in the room with her (even though I was able to leave when she had the soother).

Any tips on how to get a smoother bed time going? I try a bedtime routine, but she is still all hyped up by bed time. Slowly starting to lose my patience!!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It sounds a bit cruel, but you're gonna have to just leave her to it. She's having difficulty adjusting to a new process. She'll need to get used to it over time.

However, to encourage it, you may need to find what may become a suitable replacement for the comfort of the soother taken from her. My 3yr old son tends to alternate between a Pig hand puppet, Optimus Prime or a small pillow with babies on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ditto. I have a 2 1/2 year old who must have his 'mushin' (muslin) and teddy going to bed. We bought two!). And then he often brings a tractor or whatever toy takes his fancy. Today that was the steering wheel of his potty. I'm not complaining, he was down for a nap in ten minutes

Advertisement