Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding old GFX card

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's an AGP card it's not PCI.

PCI cards now are very rare but you will find some around, but usually pay a premium.

Cards on older OS like WinXP are not plug and play, you will just have to uninstall old drivers, restart, and install new ones.

At this point, realistically, you can buy an entire 2nd hand machine that would be 500% faster for about €80 on Ebay. I understand if this is not feasible for a business machine in whatever capacity you're running the current one, but consider it.

That's an AGP card it's not PCI.

PCI cards now are very rare but you will find some around, but usually pay a premium.

Cards on older OS like WinXP are not plug and play, you will just have to uninstall old drivers, restart, and install new ones.

At this point, realistically, you can buy an entire 2nd hand machine that would be 500% faster for about €80 on Ebay. I understand if this is not feasible for a business machine in whatever capacity you're running the current one, but consider it.

Believe me I would love a new PC but its not possible.
    Are you saying the one I have is AGP or the one on ebay?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are those not both PCI? AGP has differently shaped pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Spear wrote: »

Indeed, the AGP connector had twice the pins for the same board length.

AGP-Video-Card.jpg

Spear wrote: »

Yes I think terror fermer is wrong,
    However ,
    the two cards I linked too do have different notches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

edit - Sorry, I am wrong - been too long out of the AGP/PCI game :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

edit - Sorry, I am wrong - been too long out of the AGP/PCI game :D

This thread would equally be at home in the archaeology forum to be fair.

The differing notches are due to different voltage support:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/245207/why-does-64-bit-pci-have-2-notches

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that second card is a low profile so designed for small form factor cases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Skerries wrote: »
    that second card is a low profile so designed for small form factor cases

generally the Low profile cards come with switchable plates so they can sit in either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement