Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to Deposit Ammendment in RTA

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ah here, that report focuses on pre 63 properties, not exactly a fair cross section of the rented market.

+1

“motivated reasoning” — seeking out only the information that supports what you already believe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

gizmo81 wrote: »
    79% of a random sample of private rented units inspected by DCC in 2016 did not meet minimum standards.

79%

Minimum Standards

nothing to do with the fact the minimum standards are, in parts, ludicrous perhaps?

Eg having to provide:
    Fridge and freezer, or a fridge-freezer
    Microwave oven
    A washing machine
    A clothes-dryer if the dwelling does not have a private garden or yard

Those, in the least, are completely unnecessary and should be the tenants problem to supply themselves. A unique peculiarity to the Irish rental market
    A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    There is a permanently fixed heater in each bathroom/shower room and these heaters are properly ventilated and maintained
    Again excessive, every single room does not need its own heater

So straight away
    26% contained requirements under Article 7 in relation to heating facilities
    22% contained requirements under Article 8 in relation to food preparation & storage & laundry
    become questionable

Trying to compare a dwelling failing for structural or fire safety issues to one not having a microwave is hardly fair or reasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Ah here, that report focuses on pre 63 properties, not exactly a fair cross section of the rented market.
    Graham wrote: »
    +1

“motivated reasoning” — seeking out only the information that supports what you already believe

Surprise surprise these two fellas on to rubbish actual reports, facts and figures.
    "Pre 63 Committee doesn't count as fairies live in those properties"
    "The RTB 2015 report doesn't count as it was written by the devil"

Where's the other fella for the hat trick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

nothing to do with the fact the minimum standards are, in parts, ludicrous perhaps?

Eg having to provide:

Those, in the least, are completely unnecessary and should be the tenants problem to supply themselves. A unique peculiarity to the Irish rental market

Again excessive, every single room does not need its own heater

So straight away
    become questionable

Trying to compare a dwelling failing for structural or fire safety issues to one not having a microwave is hardly fair or reasonable.

Proves my point times 100.

Failing is failing, the list of requirements is so basic that choosing to ignore it shows contempt for the customer and the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I haven't been living under a stone- but this is a practice I've never come across before- and the Irish Times Article, is, to the best of my knowledge, the first time its ever been mentioned in this forum.

I fully accept that Threshold are pushing an agenda- however, just how prevalent are these 'holding deposits'- is it something that someone who is renting in the Irish market is likely to actually encounter- and is it widespread- or is it a small subset of assholes who are pulling stunts like this?

The whole concept of a non-refundable deposit is wholly untenable- and needs to be hit on the head before it becomes an issue (I'm not clear that it is anything other than a rare occurrence at present- the lack of any discourse on it up to this IT article- would suggest its a very recent phenomena).

Practices such as this- are unacceptable- and need to stomped on hard.

I'm not sure how widespread this practice is- but its obvious where it comes from- the 'welcome money' we all have to pay to do business in the retail sector- where it is equally unwelcome- and I'd argue a hell of a lot more prevalent.

I'm not clear that there is a specific amendment to the RTA needed to address this issue- as I suspect its extremely minor in nature- however, it shouldn't be happening, period.

A more comprehensive approach- making 'welcome money' illegal- across the board- and not just in the residential sector- is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Proves my point times 100.

how so, exactly? How is having a heater in every room a realistic and sensible requirement? Both the house I built 3 years ago and the current one I'm building would not be rent-able in Ireland despite being massively above standard in every other way because of stupid rules like that.

Advertisement