Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apply or not for a job explicitly stated to be a 'readvertisement'

Options
  • 15-08-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I see a job that's advertised that would suit me but note that it states in the advertisement that 'This is a readvertisement', which I assume means it's a carry over from last year.

I'm wondering do people think there is any point in even applying for this or thef act that this is stated in the ad, are they essentially saying that this job is already taken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I see a job that's advertised that would suit me but note that it states in the advertisement that 'This is a readvertisement', which I assume means it's a carry over from last year.

I'm wondering do people think there is any point in even applying for this or thef act that this is stated in the ad, are they essentially saying that this job is already taken.

That wouldn't be my interpretation. I've always assumed that it is a
    re-advertisement if a vacancy was advertised where no candidate was successful at interview or there were no applicants. I'd apply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

That is what I would understand by it as well, or perhaps in the original advertisement they omitted to ask for certain documents or details. Worth the price of a stamp anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Go for it. Readvertisement usually means not enough candidates applied for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Hi,

I don't understand why you think this? It doesn't make sense.

I would take re-advertisement to mean, we recently had this job up and took it down but it's now available again. Most likely scenario being they offered the position to an applicant who later declined the role or the employed changed their mind due to a bad reference or something.

Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I don't understand why you think this? It doesn't make sense.

I would take re-advertisement to mean, we recently had this job up and took it down but it's now available again. Most likely scenario being they offered the position to an applicant who later declined the role or the employed changed their mind due to a bad reference or something.

Go for it.

I came to this conclusion cause the school has 3 ads up and they all say it and I know this job definitely hasnt been advertised this summer on Edposts as I would have been notified of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I came to this conclusion cause the school has 3 ads up and they all say it and I know this job definitely hasnt been advertised this summer on Edposts as I would have been notified of it.

The automatic notifications from Ed posts sometimes omit what you specified. It's better to do a manual search.

Or it could have been initially advertised elsewhere.
    Or maybe their add didn't go through and they thought it did.

Anyhow my understanding of a readvertisement is that they couldn't find the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

If anything id be more inclined to apply. To my mind this means that they are going back looking for a second time.

Don't agonise over small stuff, apply you get it or you don't. Honestly we have enough to be really worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Have to agree with above. Even this week something didn't come up in my notifications that was on the ed posts site. Good to always do a double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Agree with all of the above. Apply. It's very possible that they already had interviews and the successful person has got a job somewhere else.

Advertisement