If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marantz Amp - Sound keeps cutting out

Options
  • 15-08-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Folks, I bought a Marantz SR4200 Home Receiver amp from your Dublin store (yes, it's THAT long ago!!). Obviously it's well out of warranty at this stage, but I could do with some advice if possible. The sound is starting to cut out fairly frequently. Doesn't matter which source is playing, it just goes completely, but a gentle tap to the top of the amp brings it straight back. I'm sure it's a fairly simple problem (loose connection??) and I'd like to try and fix it if I can. Can you give me any assistance?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

DaddyP wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I bought a Marantz SR4200 Home Receiver amp from your Dublin store (yes, it's THAT long ago!!). Obviously it's well out of warranty at this stage, but I could do with some advice if possible. The sound is starting to cut out fairly frequently. Doesn't matter which source is playing, it just goes completely, but a gentle tap to the top of the amp brings it straight back. I'm sure it's a fairly simple problem (loose connection??) and I'd like to try and fix it if I can. Can you give me any assistance?
    Hi DaddyP.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your amp.

I'm not sure what the fault could be as we send all our repairs back to the manufacturer.
    I would not even want to try and guess the issue.

We do offer a repair on out of warranty products. You would need to return the unit to ourselves. There is a £40 estimate fee that we charge and then we would send the unit off for an estimate.
    The £40 that is paid up front would then be deducted from the total repair cost if you wished to go ahead with the repair.
    If it was too expensive to repair then you get your unit back but not the £40.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DaddyP

Hi DaddyP.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your amp.

I'm not sure what the fault could be as we send all our repairs back to the manufacturer.
    I would not even want to try and guess the issue.

We do offer a repair on out of warranty products. You would need to return the unit to ourselves. There is a £40 estimate fee that we charge and then we would send the unit off for an estimate.
    The £40 that is paid up front would then be deducted from the total repair cost if you wished to go ahead with the repair.
    If it was too expensive to repair then you get your unit back but not the £40.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please drop me a post.

Thanks Kenny; I'll see if I can find somewhere locally, as returning the Amp to you guys in Belfast will be costly. Cheers though.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

DaddyP,

where are you based - I'll see if I can think of someone who may be able to help you - that SR4200 is actually a decent sounding amp!

( BTW you have checked to make sure you don't have a short in any of your speaker cables?? The SR4200 has a protection circuitry built in so even if there is a single strand of the positive & negative cables connecting it would cut out)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

DaddyP,

where are you based - I'll see if I can think of someone who may be able to help you - that SR4200 is actually a decent sounding amp!

( BTW you have checked to make sure you don't have a short in any of your speaker cables?? The SR4200 has a protection circuitry built in so even if there is a single strand of the positive & negative cables connecting it would cut out)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Hi John,

Thanks - I'm in Drogheda, Co. Louth. The sound comes back if I give the amp a tap, so I don't think it's a short. The power stays on and the speakers are wired in using banana plugs.

I love the amp. I'm actually using it with a big old pair of JBL TLX 14 speakers and it's doing a great job!

Tim

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hiya Tim,

Ok Drogheda draws a blank but if you are ever on the M50 you could try the Guys at Plasmacare:
    http://www.plasmacare.ie/

They are really flat panel experts, but John O Callaghan there worked with us for many years and is good on Audio servicing - give them a shout and if you tell them we sent you he should be able to assist. ( they may even collect!!??) They are great guys - honest and decent!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks again John.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

DaddyP wrote: »
    Thanks again John.
    No worries DaddyP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.