Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niamho_M

love_love wrote: »
    Didn't get it either. Out of interest, is there anyone so far who has been unsuccessful who is an EO? I haven't heard of anyone successful yet (because I don't think those messages have gone out yet) but my one friend waiting on results is an EO. All the rest of us in my friend group who didn't make it are COs.

I would encourage everyone to appeal your decision - perhaps if we do it en masse, they may reconsider the criteria? I have the impression they did this to weed out COs.

I am indeed a CO, and Veterinary Nurse in a previous life. I thought as a new enough recruit to the Civil Service (almost 3 years) my previous experience would carry me through the competencies - obviously not!

It would certainly be interesting to see if many CO's made it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

I got it too delighted as I thought I was outside the 400!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

They did mention it on both the notice and on the application form and to take that in to account when writing your examples so they covered themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can't you use any example you like public/private/volunteer work.

As long as you can show the experience in the competency I dont think they care where it comes from.

Congrats! How did you score after stsge 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

ParkRunner wrote: »
    I’m through :-) Commiserations to those who did not make it through, the process is no reflection on an individuals ability and suitability!

Are you an EO now? Just wondering how long they wanted people in a management position. I'm an EO just over a year and wasn't successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CBarkley

I'm a CO and got through .I really doubt there is any discrimination against CO's .

If you dont have management experience from work then you got to use whatever you can to show you have the relevent competency/qualities to be a HEO.

They do say what they are looking for so its a case of giving it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    ParkRunner wrote: »
    I’m through :-) Commiserations to those who did not make it through, the process is no reflection on an individuals ability and suitability!

Are you an EO now? Just wondering how long they wanted people in a management position. I'm an EO just over a year and wasn't successful.

Yes, an EO for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I’m a CO and I got through. Yay!! Have been through these competitions a few times, so, delighted I got git shortlisted. I also heard I got an interview for Internal HEO in my Dept today too. Good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I wonder will it be the same presentation as before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I very much doubt they have an "agenda" against certain grades. As someone else said it really does come down to the competencies examples and if they tick the boxes of what they are looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I got called. I've been an EO for years and came in as one. Have a week to prepare. Did quite well in the presentation part the last time so I'm not worried about that, but the interview was a bit of a trainwreck, all over the place, didn't click with the board. I was always good at interviews in the private sector but this civil service stuff I can't get my head around, so I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

paul 27 wrote: »
    I got it too delighted as I thought I was outside the 400!!

Congrats Paul, may I ask how far out? I'm in the 500s

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

Scored in the 300s after stage two and got called for interview. Best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

Starry12 wrote: »
    Congrats Paul, may I ask how far out? I'm in the 500s

High 500's

• Advertisement

It'll be some amount of work checking everyone on the panel's form throughout the competition.
    You could be waiting the guts of 2 years to be told you're not eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mrmr17

Hi, I got placed in the 1400s for HEO Int/Dept 2017. I chose Dublin. Does anyone think I'll be called? Does anyone know what number they're on now? Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mrmr17 wrote: »
    Hi, I got placed in the 1400s for HEO Int/Dept 2017. I chose Dublin. Does anyone think I'll be called? Does anyone know what number they're on now? Thanks for your help

I am just over 1000 after stage 2 and tbh nobody can tell if you will be called. It all depends on demand from depts to fill vacancies. Someone posted already that they were in the late 500s after stage 2 and called so if it progressed in batches and your competencies were up to standard in the shortlisting then it would be 3rd batch I would say which would be probably next Summer. Perhaps some other poster would have a better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bumbleton

Didn't get it either. Out of interest, is there anyone so far who has been unsuccessful who is an EO? I haven't heard of anyone successful yet (because I don't think those messages have gone out yet) but my one friend waiting on results is an EO. All the rest of us in my friend group who didn't make it are COs.

I would encourage everyone to appeal your decision - perhaps if we do it en masse, they may reconsider the criteria? I have the impression they did this to weed out COs.

I was unsuccessful but I was only appointed an EO the day before the form was submitted back in september

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spencer105

I got to interview. I'm a co. Relatively new to civil service (almost 3 years) and I used examples from volunteering to cover some of the competencies. I was placed in the 600s after stage 2

• Advertisement

To the people who got an interview congrats! Where you given a #? Just trying to get an idea of how many will be going for the 1st batch of interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spencer105

Kanovara wrote: »
    To the people who got an interview congrats! Where you given a #? Just trying to get an idea of how many will be going for the 1st batch of interviews!

No. Didn't get a number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GKE

Kanovara wrote: »

They ssin in the message that 215 people being interviewed

What does 'sub campaign' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Addle wrote: »
    What does 'sub campaign' mean?

The Dublin campaign I imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

can't understand how people outside the top 400 after stage 2 have been called already.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

podge018 wrote: »
    can't understand how people outside the top 400 after stage 2 have been called already.

It was the top 400 who had indicated Dublin as a preference. There could have been people outside d top 400 who had indicated Dublin as a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 missy_t

Shortlisting really should have been carried out after Stage 1, before people had to take time off work and pay travel expenses to get to Dublin.

missy_t wrote: »
    Shortlisting really should have been carried out after Stage 1, before people had to take time off work and pay travel expenses to get to Dublin.

Isnt this competition serving civil servants only so all expenses are covered by local budgets.

There was always a chance of shortlisting being used so we can't really complain .They obviously thought the competition needed some fine tuning after the high failure rate at interview state of the last campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Does asking for a review ever get you anywhere?
    My form was specific to the competencies and I felt were great examples.
    I had my HEO and AP look over it to and they are surprised to that I've not progressed.
    I don't want to waste anyone's time but I'm clueless as to what else I could have said to go further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭missierex

I'm an EO for nearly 2.5 years but have never had staff

missierex wrote: »
    I'm an EO for nearly 2.5 years but have never had staff

Thats the thing,the application doesnt need to have anything to do with work.People saying the shortlist could be a way of getting rid of COs etc are completely wrong you can use whatever you want as longbas it shows the competency.
    I know someone who used planning/managing a self build on their application and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

CBarkley wrote: »
    Thats the thing,the application doesnt need to have anything to do with work.People saying the shortlist could be a way of getting rid of COs etc are completely wrong you can use whatever you want as longbas it shows the competency.
    I know someone who used planning/managing a self build on their application and its fine.

I used examples from work in the CS and management experience in the voluntary sector.
    Cannot understand why I didn’t get an interview.
    I will definitely be looking for detailed feedback.

billyhead wrote: »
    I am just over 1000 after stage 2 and tbh nobody can tell if you will be called. It all depends on demand from depts to fill vacancies. Someone posted already that they were in the late 500s after stage 2 and called so if it progressed in batches and your competencies were up to standard in the shortlisting then it would be 3rd batch I would say which would be probably next Summer. Perhaps some other poster would have a better idea
    Thanks for that... already in the 500S for Dublin?? Seems to be moving fast enough. Yes, I think you're right. Hopefully I'll get called anyway. Good Luck to everyone and hopefully we hear some good news!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I got called, came about 300th in the supervised exam and am in Dublin, interview next Tuesday.
    I have some sick leave though due to a recurring illness, maybe 5 uncertified in the last year too. Does that make me illegible? Not much point in doing the interview if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mrmr17 wrote: »
    Thanks for that... already in the 500S for Dublin?? Seems to be moving fast enough. Yes, I think you're right. Hopefully I'll get called anyway. Good Luck to everyone and hopefully we hear some good news!
    It will be the new year anyway. Depends on vacancies.

I got called, came about 300th in the supervised exam and am in Dublin, interview next Tuesday.
    I have some sick leave though due to a recurring illness, maybe 5 uncertified in the last year too. Does that make me illegible? Not much point in doing the interview if that's the case.

That wont rule you out.Its when you go to be placed is when HR look into sick leave.Best to keep the nose clean going forward if you place on a panel.

Does anyone have a contact email where I can request more detailed feedback/review procedure?

Does anyone have a contact email where I can request more detailed feedback/review procedure?

Info/guide is on PAS website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

If you have it, would you mind sharing it on here?

I'll definitely be requesting detailed feedback. I find it interesting that they specified in the feedback "Relative to those shortlisted" given that they said the board "examined the application forms against pre-determined criteria". So did they examine based on pre-determined criteria, or did they compare applications received against each other (as is implied in the statement that the level of whatever demonstrated was not sufficient "relative" to others who were successful in being shortlisted)?

If you have it, would you mind sharing it on here?

I'll definitely be requesting detailed feedback. I find it interesting that they specified in the feedback "Relative to those shortlisted" given that they said the board "examined the application forms against pre-determined criteria". So did they examine based on pre-determined criteria, or did they compare applications received against each other (as is implied in the statement that the level of whatever demonstrated was not sufficient "relative" to others who were successful in being shortlisted)?

I had a look where at my applications tab and there is an email address listed there under contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

I only picked regional as location preferences in SW of country. So I assume now that as I am a CO I will automatically be dismissed from the next stage.

My colleague a CO who picked Dublin & got in the top 50 after the supervised tests was advised due to lack of relevant mgt experience she will not be going forward for interview. I understand where they are coming from Re: Mgt experience (I have some from private sector more than 10 years ago but I reckon cos mgt experience not recent or in public service I won't be called to interview either)
    Sorry just venting I suppose!!
    The very best of luck to everyone

I only picked regional as location preferences in SW of country. So I assume now that as I am a CO I will automatically be dismissed from the next stage.

My colleague a CO who picked Dublin & got in the top 50 after the supervised tests was advised due to lack of relevant mgt experience she will not be going forward for interview. I understand where they are coming from Re: Mgt experience (I have some from private sector more than 10 years ago but I reckon cos mgt experience not recent or in public service I won't be called to interview either)
    Sorry just venting I suppose!!
    The very best of luck to everyone
    You're probably right Optiplexy99... I would imagine that if a CO applied, even with relevant experience that they will be dismissed from the next stage. To be honest, the process isn't explained well enough. Don't quote me but I do recall information provided by PAS stating that they can choose who to progress to the next round...(shortlisting) so regardless of where you get on the panel or the experience you, it comes down to someone choosing you from all the applicants that passed stage 2....

COs have gotten through to the next stage of this competition, and COs have gotten posts in the 2015 competition.
    PAS do not have it in for COs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

COs have gotten through to the next stage of this competition, and COs have gotten posts in the 2015 competition.

+1.

I know at least two COs who have been promoted to HEO, and they are highly competent and able people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

did they have shortlisting in the last competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Riskymove wrote: »
    did they have shortlisting in the last competition?

No

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Somebody I know is a CO and likely to get HEO they said (and less likely to get EO). Just randomly saw this from the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bob Cratchit

I'm going to ask PAS for feedback, and I suggest that others do the same.
    If they examined the first 400 and "relative to those shortlisted", you didn't make the cut, then that infers that they are taking the top 200 or so from each batch. Obviously then, placing highly puts you at a serious disadvantage.

If I'm wrong, I want it explained by to me by PAS

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

I'm going to ask PAS for feedback, and I suggest that others do the same.
    If they examined the first 400 and "relative to those shortlisted", you didn't make the cut, then that infers that they are taking the top 200 or so from each batch. Obviously then, placing highly puts you at a serious disadvantage.

If I'm wrong, I want it explained by to me by PAS

Did you select Dublin as your preferred Location?

• Advertisement
Advertisement