Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Why is it strange? They were looking at 400 which had Dublin as a preferred location, a significant number of those in the top couple of 100 could have expressed regional preferences and would not be considered for this batch.

Correct. I'm in the 200s and am a regional candidate so I haven't come under consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Mrmr17 wrote: »
    Eimaj18, you said that you were placed 161 and have just got called for interview, yet a previous poster said that someone in the 500s was called for an interview? Seems a bit strange to be honest.
    Yeah, my understanding is that the top 400 DUBLIN people got looked at. That 400th person could have been placed number 945 after the Stage 2 testing. It's a complicated enough system - I think it's fascinating though I'd nearly like to work in PAS to see how they do all this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

quite a few posts early on in this thread "expertly" advising people not to pore over their application forms, that they are only used as a guideline when it comes to interview stage, and sometimes not looked at at all! I wont quote them out of politeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

podge018 wrote: »
    quite a few posts early on in this thread "expertly" advising people not to pore over their application forms, that they are only used as a guideline when it comes to interview stage, and sometimes not looked at at all! I wont quote them out of politeness.

it just reinforces the earlier points about shortlisting not being expected

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BillyJoe96

I know of someone in the 600's after stage 2 who has been called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Do people who submitted for the informal review assume that wehave until Monday to get the formal request in? It says 2 working days from receipt of the message that was sent at 11.30 yesterday. I have some weird illness at the moment and typing this is making my head spin so I wantt o leave it until Monday if poss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

BillyJoe96 wrote: »
    I know of someone in the 600's after stage 2 who has been called for interview

Great. I should definitely be in the next batch for Dublin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mrmr17

Why is it strange? They were looking at 400 which had Dublin as a preferred location, a significant number of those in the top couple of 100 could have expressed regional preferences and would not be considered for this batch.
    What I meant was that someone who placed in 500s seemed to have been called before Eimaj18 and they were 161. Eimaj18 said they have their interview on Monday or Tuesday but yet the 500 person already had theirs??

Why is it strange? They were looking at 400 which had Dublin as a preferred location,  a significant number of those in the top couple of 100 could have expressed regional preferences and would not be considered for this batch.
    What I meant was that someone who placed in 500s seemed to have been called before Eimaj18 and they were 161. Eimaj18 said they have their interview on Monday or Tuesday but yet the 500 person already had theirs??
    That comes up a lot. I think it's to do with candidate number or maybe even surname - I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

No one has been interviewed in this competition yet.

love_love wrote: »
    Do people who submitted for the informal review assume that wehave until Monday to get the formal request in? It says 2 working days from receipt of the message that was sent at 11.30 yesterday. I have some weird illness at the moment and typing this is making my head spin so I wantt o leave it until Monday if poss.

You would imagine we would have. I submitted mine yesterday just to be on the safe side

Are there interviews on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BF9000

How should you approach studying for these interviews/presentations & how do you deal with knowing an interviewer on your board from your Dept. Any suggestions welcome.

BF9000 wrote: »
    How should you approach studying for these interviews/presentations & how do you deal with knowing an interviewer on your board from your Dept. Any suggestions welcome.

Don't exaggerate about your current role if you think you'll be caught out!

It's all about the interview. As long as you can confidently back yourself up in the interview, outside influences/opinions can't be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

podge018 wrote: »
    I was one of those people and I never claimed to be an expert. I cited my own experience after years of doing these competitions in order to help allay the fears of someone who forgot to fill in part of their form. Previous experience is the only advice any one can give on this thread. I would hate people to feel they couldn't share their experience in the hopes of helping others through the process for fear the process might suddenly change unexpectedly as it did in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

Addle wrote: »
    Are there interviews on Monday?

I know there are interviews for the separate internal/departmental HEO competition on Monday, at least for DEASP, as one of the lads from the office is doing his then. Perhaps someone has already interviewed for this competition for another Department?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

Good luck to everyone sitting interviews, I have mine next week. Does anyone recommend Carr’s Communication for prep ? I understand exactly how the rejection feels having made it to interview last year and failing So fingers crossed this Time!!!

Last year my board asked me was I as telling the truth because I am in a top heavy department so the lower grades get to do a lot more above their usual wok load

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone sitting interviews, I have mine next week. Does anyone recommend Carr’s Communication for prep ? I understand exactly how the rejection feels having made it to interview last year and failing So fingers crossed this Time!!!
    I’m in the same boat! So close but yet so far. Hoping that this time I’ll get it.

I knew a guy in Carr through family and he did an informal prep with me. It was good. It expanded the STAR method but then when I did a mock interview, my PO and AP felt that I wasn’t getting to the point using that method. Hard to know what it best to honest! If you have your interview this week, I’m not sure how much Carr will help you. Just know your examples very well. Describe them concisely. Be ready for possibly awkward (but standard) questions like conflict, underperformance etc.

Best of luck! Mine is on 22nd

I'd love to know the numbers involved in this competition.
    How many submitted forms?
    How many sat 1st round if tests?
    How many have/will say/sit the second round?
    How many don't get past shortlisting.
    Do PAS release details like this after a competition has run its course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'd love to know the numbers involved in this competition.
    How many submitted forms?
    How many sat 1st round if tests?
    How many have/will say/sit the second round?
    How many don't get past shortlisting.
    Do PAS release details like this after a competition has run its course?

2nd round tests are over for everyone. For the last comp people were called to stage 2 in batches. If I was to guess I would say roughly 7000,8000 applied initially, 6000 did stage 1, 2000 were called to stage 2, 1500 passed stage 2 and the shortlisting exercise would result in 50% called to interview. But what do i know:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I tried to get an appointment with Carr but they are completely booked out next week

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Good luck to anyone interviewing this week (and next)! Don't be afraid to take a few silent moments if a question throws you - just advise the interviewer that you're going to consider the question, and you'd be amazed what your brain will come up with by just allowing yourself some space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BF9000

Carr looking for 350€. Rip off. There would want to be some seriously tasty biscuits thrown in for 350. I'm talking
    Jacobs Chocolate Dream stuff, not Tesco Shortbread quality. Anyone know how many weeks these interviews go on for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

anybody willing to divulge what the presentation is on?

Yep I failed on this year and I felt that I spent too much time typing, i think i will write this time . Good luck everyone

love_love wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone interviewing this week (and next)! Don't be afraid to take a few silent moments if a question throws you - just advise the interviewer that you're going to consider the question, and you'd be amazed what your brain will come up with by just allowing yourself some space.

Thanks!

Yep I failed on this year and I felt that I spent too much time typing, i think i will write this time . Good luck everyone

Really.
    Is a hand written memo acceptable?
    I told a colleague I thought not, don't want to miss inform them.

Well you have to type the memo for the board but your own notes can be neatly handwritten I believe, the laptop was awkward to use because one font and no bold or dots allowed to make points

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Rosie_ob

Really.
    Is a hand written memo acceptable?
    I told a colleague I thought not, don't want to miss inform them.

I passed the presentation at the last heo competition I didn’t type at all. I wrote a clear detailed memo and gave my presentation based on the memo. I was informed by a previous presentation board chairman that there are no marks awarded for having it typed.

• Advertisement

Carrs have had cancellations if anyone is interested

Presentation last competition was a merger of two departments from what I remember. They asked you to make a number of decisions in relation to closing down centres, merging staff in others, providing temporary office space while building work was being done etc. I personally felt it was more the work of an AP but I could be wrong.

Had no real experience of any of the above and just waffled my way through the presentation. I had hoped to get 40 (pass rate) but ended up getting between 60 and 70 each competency. I’m by no means one of these people that can bs their way through - what I felt went well for me was that I made firm decisions and stuck to them.

I’m not an “expert” or anything - I’ve just been through the process already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

For interview preparation I can recommend Mary Walsh in Stradbally if that's not too far to travel.

Very reasonable cost.

I went to her for AP interview preparation and passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

Best of luck to everyone who's got interview, I'm in tomorrow so fingers crossed their somewhat gentle! 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

Those up next week have you received the info for the interview/presentation? I received the boards details on Friday but not the information on the format and am up next Tuesday (21st). I'm just wondering is this the same as everyone else or has there been a mistake. Ramping up the prep this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BillyJoe96

I am in the 24th and also received details of the board last Friday but nothing since

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mrmr17

Hi Billy and phone. Where did you place after stage 2.... Just to give everyone an idea!

it won't make any difference knowing where people placed after stage 2 because we cannot estimate regional candidates, i think they have got to late 600s in order of merit across the country. hope everyone does well

It really is a very different competition this time.
    How long will candidates in the sub competition have to wait for regional results?
    Probably too long to afford them a choice.

Will the next competition (confined/open?) be the same as this one or the last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

When there is a new open/confined competition the application forms will certainly receive more attention ;) It's difficult to predict and I guess all we can do here is speculate.

Once these initial interviews and presentations are complete and a Dublin panel is formed do people think the next batch called will be for a regional panel or Dublin again? Does anyone know how many were promoted to HEO outside Dublin in the last competition? It seems that if you're a regional candidate the chances of getting promoted are slim compared to those in Dublin, I spoke to a couple of people who interviewed in the 2nd and 3rd batches in the last competition and they all said that they didn't have an expectation of being offered HEO in their location :( Although with retirements and promotions perhaps they might have better luck in this competition.

Well that was an experience to say the least! Couldn't tell you how it went alot of nodding heads but who knows what that means! Felt at times that was applying for a position above HEO!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emer28

Doubtitdub wrote: »
    Well that was an experience to say the least! Couldn't tell you how it went alot of nodding heads but who knows what that means! Felt at times that was applying for a position above HEO!

Hi , did they stick to the examples on your form or were there a lot of general questions

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Good to hear you got through it, if it felt like a grilling it's probably a good sign that they were pushing you. Any indication when you'll hear back from PAS?

They hope to have the results out in about 3 weeks they said today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BPK

Doubtitdub , well done on getting this far I'm sure you did great. Did your find the presentation tough?

• Advertisement

Yes all aspects where tough enough, not an easy process but first time dealing with PAS in a while so either way good experience. Good luck to everyone else over the next couple of weeks.

Yes all aspects where tough enough, not an easy process but first time dealing with PAS in a while so either way good experience. Good luck to everyone else over the next couple of weeks.
    Thanks for sharing Doubtitdub. Bet you're glad it's over!

thanks for sharing Doubtitdub! it's so much pressure as it all comes down to a couple of hours and convincing them you are able! i would say based on shortlisting experience, this competition will be tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

In a similar boat i think, fair presentation but the interview went beyond what I was expecting in terms of toughness. For those who get through very well done, I won’t be one of them.

Have faith people, it's a good sign they went above and beyond

• Advertisement
Advertisement