Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 edelweiss

Rosie_ob wrote: »
    I passed the presentation at the last heo competition I didn’t type at all. I wrote a clear detailed memo and gave my presentation based on the memo. I was informed by a previous presentation board chairman that there are no marks awarded for having it typed.

Rosie_ob, Sincere thanks for taking the time to reply to my pm in March last. Congratulations on your appointment. I hope that you are enjoying your new role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BF9000

Well, spill the Heinz Beans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I felt the prez was fine but I was never worried about that part. I typed up a 1200 word report and a 7 page power point presentation, sounds like a lot but it just flowed. You had to assess a situation point out the issues and then recommend what to do about them.
    The interview was the same as ever, no bloody clue if I did well or said the right words that they want to hear. Anyway it wasn't that unpleasant, easier day than I though. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

I felt the prez was fine but I was never worried about that part. I typed up a 1200 word report and a 7 page power point presentation, sounds like a lot but it just flowed. You had to assess a situation point out the issues and then recommend what to do about them.
    The interview was the same as ever, no bloody clue if I did well or said the right words that they want to hear. Anyway it wasn't that unpleasant, easier day than I though. Best of luck everyone.

Do you have to use PowerPoint? I am not a fan of using it

paul 27 wrote: »
    Do you have to use PowerPoint? I am not a fan of using it

No you don't, I don't like it myself but I had maybe 10 mins at the end so just typed something up that I could follow while giving the presentation. You could just read from your report too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

thanks to all who have offered advice, it's up to us to make the day count! it's an achievement to make it this far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

Doubtitdub wrote: »
    Yes all aspects where tough enough, not an easy process but first time dealing with PAS in a while so either way good experience. Good luck to everyone else over the next couple of weeks.

May I ask did the HEO interview process go something a ong the lines of the following:

90 minutes to read over a 20/30 page doc & type/write up a Memo & report with recommendations etc - Then do a 7 -10 minute Presentation (sitting down) to a 2 board panel who then spent a further 10/15 Mins interviewing you on the presentation etc............

Then you had a break for an hour approx (less maybe) - followed by an interview with a 3 board Panel which lasted 45/50 mins approx??.
    Just wondering if the same format if you don't mind me asking please!!!??

Thanks a mill!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

May I ask did the HEO interview process go something a ong the lines of the following:

90 minutes to read over a 20/30 page doc & type/write up a Memo & report with recommendations etc - Then do a 7 -10 minute Presentation (sitting down) to a 2 board panel who then spent a further 10/15 Mins interviewing you on the presentation etc............

Then you had a break for an hour approx (less maybe) - followed by an interview with a 3 board Panel which lasted 45/50 mins approx??.
    Just wondering if the same format if you don't mind me asking please!!!??

Thanks a mill!!!!!!!!!!

Yes something along those lines, but with not much of a break in-between:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Tomjim

was the presentation based on the merger of 2 departments/organisations

Tomjim wrote: »
    was the presentation based on the merger of 2 departments/organisations

No that was the last one, this one was issues facing an organisation and you being a new manager there and how you are going to go about resolving the issues

• Advertisement

I only got 10 mins break between my presentation and interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know how long the current interviews will be going on for and does anyone know if the next batch called for interview will be regional candidates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the current interviews will be going on for and does anyone know if the next batch called for interview will be regional candidates?
    It’s either two or three weeks. I would imagine the regional panel would be next but it depends on demand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DavidM1234

No leeway
    And what about the Probation Rule? Is that negotiable?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

DavidM1234 wrote: »
    And what about the Probation Rule? Is that negotiable?

If you're querying regarding eligibility, nothing about eligibility is negotiable. Ready to stand corrected if anyone has had any other experience, but it's my understanding that the rules are set in stone to ensure fairness and transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

love_love wrote: »
    If you're querying regarding eligibility, nothing about eligibility is negotiable. Ready to stand corrected if anyone has had any other experience, but it's my understanding that the rules are set in stone to ensure fairness and transparency.

I think sick leave requirements can be discounted when your offered a position if you are over the 56 days limit.

I was dreading being called for that reason since I did so well in the tests, but thankfully they are taking Dublin first so my sick leave might drop off by the time I make a panel, that's if I make a panel. Have Galway and Sligo down myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think sick leave requirements can be discounted when your offered a position if you are over the 56 days limit.

I was dreading being called for that reason since I did so well in the tests, but thankfully they are taking Dublin first so my sick leave might drop off by the time I make a panel, that's if I make a panel. Have Galway and Sligo down myself.

Is the limit not 24 days?

56 days over a 4 year peroid and 24 days over a 2 year period iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

56 days over a 4 year peroid and 24 days over a 2 year period iirc

The only two limits used are 56 in four year 14 day in one and it can't be more than 7 instances in the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You can get certain sick leave written off if you are over the 56 days.It depends on the illness etc but PAS contact you if its an issue when you are going through clearence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 XDweebieX

Hi everyone, I have my presentation and interview next week too and am just having some concerns about writing the memo as I have never written one. I have looked up some draft memos but am wondering how long does this actually have to be considering you are talking for approx 10/15 minutes? And who do you address it to at the top? e.g. "To: Board Members" or something along them lines? This is a sample one given online:
    To: Joe Campos, VP of Sales
    Date: April 5, 2013
    Subject: Quarterly Review

Is this the way it should be written? Well done to everyone for getting this far, It is an achievement in itself! And best of luck to everyone still to do theirs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How can you be a civil servant and never have written a memo?!

It was never in my job description. Both depts I have been in I have never had the need to do this. Thanks for that, although I can't seem to understand how you confine a 10/15 minute presentation to three or four paragraphs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Addle wrote: »
    How can you be a civil servant and never have written a memo?!

I'm a civil servant and been employed in 3 different grades and have never had to write a memo. Its not exactly a fundamental part of any civil servants job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

XDweebieX wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have my presentation and interview next week too and am just having some concerns about writing the memo as I have never written one. I have looked up some draft memos but am wondering how long does this actually have to be considering you are talking for approx 10/15 minutes? And who do you address it to at the top? e.g. "To: Board Members" or something along them lines? This is a sample one given online:
    To: Joe Campos, VP of Sales
    Date: April 5, 2013
    Subject: Quarterly Review

Is this the way it should be written? Well done to everyone for getting this far, It is an achievement in itself! And best of luck to everyone still to do theirs :)

My report was 2 pages anyway, and it took me just up to the 10 mins (which is the max time). As it says you set out the background, the issues and your recommendations.. no harm in a conclusion too if you have time

• Advertisement

ParkRunner wrote: »
    My report was 2 pages anyway, and it took me just up to the 10 mins (which is the max time). As it says you set out the background, the issues and your recommendations.. no harm in a conclusion too if you have time

Thanks very much, I really appreciate you getting back to me. :) Can I just quickly clarify one thing with you? Do you have to write both a memo and a report? It seems some people are just mentioning memos and others are mentioning reports. So is the memo written for the Board Members and the report (which may be structured differently) is for yourself to read off?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

XDweebieX wrote: »

Thanks very much, I really appreciate you getting back to me. :) Can I just quickly clarify one thing with you? Do you have to write both a memo and a report? It seems some people are just mentioning memos and others are mentioning reports. So is the memo written for the Board Members and the report (which may be structured differently) is for yourself to read off?

Thanks again :)

It’s a personal thing really,l. Can’t recall what their exact wording is but you’re required to write a report for your senior managers and make a presentation based on your findings. My report was my presentation (time constraints) but it’s up to you how you want to present the memo/report. You just have to have a comprehensive note to give to the senior managers and then a summary presentation. 90 minutes flies by!

It’s a personal thing really,l. Can’t recall what their exact wording is but you’re required to write a report for your senior managers and make a presentation based on your findings. My report was my presentation (time constraints) but it’s up to you how you want to present the memo/report. You just have to have a comprehensive note to give to the senior managers and then a summary presentation. 90 minutes flies by!

Thanks so much, I wont know exactly until I do it I suppose! Yea 90 minutes seems like no time at all :( Hope you did well and I'd say a weight has been lifted knowing you don't have this hanging over you now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nedzer12

Any word on what number they are up to now in the Dublin region?

I never wrote a memo in my life. I just put the (fictional) date and started writing the report this time. I'm not even sure if the word memo was mentioned.

• Advertisement

Wonder if it is a fail if you dont talk for the whole time allocated for the presentation? I was about 7ish mins talking and they the same in the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Wonder if it is a fail if you dont talk for the whole time allocated for the presentation? I was about 7ish mins talking and they the same in the questions.

Nah I only spent 7 or 8 minutes talking myself and I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I know someone who did the interview/presentation in the last HEO comp and they were worried for the same reason but they passed the presentation (not sure what their score was). I'm sure if you cover all the relevant issues a shorter running time won't stand against you.

I know someone who did the interview/presentation in the last HEO comp and they were worried for the same reason but they passed the presentation (not sure what their score was). I'm sure if you cover all the relevant issues a shorter running time won't stand against you.

I failed it last time, and after getting my feedback I failed on the memo itself. I found it hard to extract the relevant information to build up my memo. Its tough and quite daunting but I'm better for that experience.

I spoke clearly in the presentation for 7 mins approx., I answered the questions as best I could afterwards but my findings in the report/memo weren't correct and thus my answers later weren't great.

Thanks folks, a lot of misinformation flowing from people about that!:rolleyes:

On another point some people have 10 mins between interview / presentation and some have much longer up to 2 hours i have seen, does this put people at an advantage considering everyone is to be on a level playing field according to PAS.

Thanks folks, a lot of misinformation flowing from people about that!:rolleyes:

On another point some people have 10 mins between interview / presentation and some have much longer up to 2 hours i have seen, does this put people at an advantage considering everyone is to be on a level playing field according to PAS.

What advantage is there to be gained ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    What advantage is there to be gained ?

Well if I have 2 hours between presentation and interview which gives me time to digest the presentation do some more preparation for interview to you just having 10 mins between both would you not think that i have an advantage over you?

Id prefer the 10 min/15 min break, Ill be in the zone from the presentation (once it goes well) and Id be looking to keep that momentum into the interview.

Well if I have 2 hours between presentation and interview which gives me time to digest the presentation do some more preparation for interview to you just having 10 mins between both would you not think that i have an advantage over you?

You either know your stuff or you dont at that stage.
    Trying to read notes in some coffee shop/pub isnt going to make much difference to you imo.
    No advantage at all if you have the interview first and then have 2 hours to kill waiting for the presentation,you can learn off the layout of a memo in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

We should be ready, last year i hated having to hang around Isomina for over an hour and half.

• Advertisement

Sure you could say that people who have their interview in the second week would be at an advantage as they’ve more time to study. I think you’re right, you either know your stuff or you don’t.

Although sometimes having a bit of time between the presentation and interview can give you a chance to just look over your notes, so they are fresh in your head. But all in all, I’d prefer the ten mins!

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks I was ok had a bit of time to do some last min prep for interview after presentation but I know a few who didn't and were not happy.

Sure this time two weeks hopefully we will all be happy out with the results! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I had my interview first with an hour to kill before the presentation. I didn't mind the gap as it gave me time to let the dust settle on the interview.

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    We should be ready, last year i hated having to hang around Isomina for over an hour and half.

Maybe give that horrible Spar a go next time or buy something in the Asian supermarket :D

Maybe give that horrible Spar a go next time or buy something in the Asian supermarket :D

TP Smiths is probably the best spot.Down tbe back will be quiet enough during the day.

yabadabado wrote: »
    TP Smiths is probably the best spot.Down tbe back will be quiet enough during the day.

But only if you have any time to go and use it! ;);)

But only if you have any time to go and use it! ;);)

obviously

You could have a sneaky shot in the ten mins break! Ha ha. 
    Anyone up this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BillyJoe96

yes I'm up this friday,the 24th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mrmr17

Anyone know what number they're on now? Well done to everyone who sat the interviews/presentations. Relax now until you hear something.

Advertisement