Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

I also got through, delighted after last year my scores are twice what they were because i practiced on face time every night for an hour and i downloaded the PAS toolkit of questions and asked myself them on the bus home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    I also got through, delighted after last year my scores are twice what they were because i practiced on face time every night for an hour and i downloaded the PAS toolkit of questions and asked myself them on the bus home.
    That’s great news. Delighted for you!

I’m going to work on the toolkit alright and just have answers to every conceivable question that I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What's the toolkit?

Thanks Eimaj18, the toolkit is a sample of questions that can be asked at any level it is freely available on PAS website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BillyJack319

BillyJoe96 wrote: »
    Same here, back to the grindstone I go

I failed on 2 competencies by 6 marks and did well on the others. I've asked for a review. I don't know how it's possible to have in the 60's in 4 competencies and fail on 2 others. I'm not going to be in any worse a position if it doesn't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

I failed on 2 competencies by 6 marks and did well on the others. I've asked for a review. I don't know how it's possible to have in the 60's in 4 competencies and fail on 2 others. I'm not going to be in any worse a position if it doesn't make a difference.

Definitely worth a shot anyway. I did a HEO one last year - got very good marks for the communication competency in the presentation, but failed the communication part of the interview. Didn't make much sense to me really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Same as myself, failed 2 by 6 in each. Why would you review? You failed. Them's the breaks.

Same as myself, failed 2 by 6 in each. Why would you review? You failed. Them's the breaks.

Why wouldn't you review?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Why wouldn't you review?

Do you really think they made two mistakes rather than your examples or your explanation of them being poor?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why wouldn't you review?

Because I failed! I wasn't good enough! Do you really think they marked you wrong, on two comps? You're dreaming. Maybe next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

Because I failed! I wasn't good enough! Do you really think they marked you wrong, on two comps? You're dreaming. Maybe next time :)

There no harm in looking for a review, there have been mistakes made before, granted failing two competencies its doubtful that it will be successful but if it puts someones mind at ease then no harm..

Just seems a high level of applicants failing on two competencies. I'm curious as to which two comps had high failure rates.
    In addition my scores seem inconsistent to me. I may well have failed but I'd rather check.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nedzer12

Anyone know if they will be calling any more in the Dublin region?

doncarlos wrote: »
    Do you really think they made two mistakes rather than your examples or your explanation of them being poor?

That's not what I asked.

Ultimately there is one opportunity, one hour that this depends upon and unfortunately for some it's hard to stomach I remember the feeling last year when i failed presentation by 3 points but use it as experience for next time, it made work harder this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just seems a high level of applicants failing on two competencies. I'm curious as to which two comps had high failure rates.
    In addition my scores seem inconsistent to me. I may well have failed but I'd rather check.
    I was thinking that too! And only by about 5/6 marks. I failed on Team Leadership and Analysis & Decision Making.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sinorita

eimaj18 wrote:
    I was thinking that too! And only by about 5/6 marks. I failed on Team Leadership and Analysis & Decision Making.

I was the same

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

eimaj18 wrote: »

I failed on them as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Any idea how fast the panel is moving

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BillyJoe96

Did you just email and ask for a review?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Nedzer12 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will be calling any more in the Dublin region?

I would be 100% confident more will be called for Dublin but the next batch will more then likely be regional candidates thus another Dublin batch might not be called until next Summer. It depends on vacancies. Remember this comp runs until Oct 2019.

BillyJoe96 wrote: »
    Did you just email and ask for a review?

Yes. They will decide if it's worth a review. There's a formal an informal review route. I failed on Team Leadership and delivery of results. I wouldn't mind but I'd asked for feedback previously and they never responded to multiple emails requesting it.

To everyone emailing me on private message all I can share is know your competencies, know about managing and leading a team and most importantly get some professional interview prep, this really opened my eyes to the way i was approaching the form and the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emer28

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    To everyone emailing me on private message all I can share is know your competencies, know about managing and leading a team and most importantly get some professional interview prep, this really opened my eyes to the way i was approaching the form and the interview

Thanks for all the advice , did u use Carr communications for the professional interview prep ?

Brendan Colclough at Quantum was the professional I went with because I heard from several people in revenue who advised me to meet him. He really dramatically changed my outlook on interviews, confidence is key and remember you are in charge of how the interview goes. Dress appropriately too and be a safe pair of hands in their eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Curious how they are going to work this. I imagine Dublin offers are going to start coming in before regional panels are even established.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Curious how they are going to work this. I imagine Dublin offers are going to start coming in before regional panels are even established.

They are still placing of the 2016 interD HEO regional panel

Can anyone who appealed the shortlisting process give an idea of the outcome?
    Was there any satisfaction in the information provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Does the score from the Dublin region also apply to the other region on your form? So that when regional panels are created you’ll be automatically placed on the region you indicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Malee wrote: »
    Does the score from the Dublin region also apply to the other region on your form? So that when regional panels are created you’ll be automatically placed on the region you indicated?

That’s my understanding of it anyway. The marks from the Dublin results will be amalgamated into regional panels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

Anyone know how many people of the 215 interviewed from batch 1 made it on to the panel? & also when the next batch for Dublin will be called?

Kanovara wrote: »
    Anyone know how many people of the 215 interviewed from batch 1 made it on to the panel? & also when the next batch for Dublin will be called?

Is 215 a definite?

Addle wrote: »
    Is 215 a definite?

215 is what I heard anyway l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I would expect the next batch called would be regionals

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ballingarry

I know that Pas advised a colleague that it will be a number of months before the regional are called as the current panel for regional runs until the end of March.

There has been no Dublin panel in place for some time, not sure when last person was taken from it, so i would say that they will start clearance either in the next week or early January.

Doubtitdub wrote: »
    There has been no Dublin panel in place for some time, not sure when last person was taken from it, so i would say that they will start clearance either in the next week or early January.

How many did they put on this panel? Anyone know?

How many did they put on this panel? Anyone know?

Not a clue, previous competition there was about a 50% fail rate or there about so possibly similar? Its the never ending mystery of how PAS works....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

I rang PAS today. They said they were hoping to start pre clearance before Christmas but it could run into the new year. They asked my place on the panel and said to expect a message on my public jobs account in the coming week or two.

• Advertisement

I rang PAS today. They said they were hoping to start pre clearance before Christmas but it could run into the new year. They asked my place on the panel and said to expect a message on my public jobs account in the coming week or two.

What was your place after stage 2? Dublin?

What was your place after stage 2? Dublin?

Placed Top 20

Placed Top 20

That was your place after stage 3? Strange that the number that got on this panel is not known

That was your place after stage 3? Strange that the number that got on this panel is not known

Oh sorry after stage two I was around 380

They were up in the 600s after stage two, approximately 215 got through but regional candidates are still included in that. I've only heard up to the 30's got on panel so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

can confirm that people have been placed as high as 78 anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Addle wrote: »
    Can anyone who appealed the shortlisting process give an idea of the outcome?
    Was there any satisfaction in the information provided?

The "informal" stage of the appeal was completely unsatisfactory imo because they sent out the same mass message to everyone who asked for feedback/informal appeal. As far as I can tell, everyone who has formally appealed has been advised we'll receive a response by 19 December.
    podge018 wrote:
    can confirm that people have been placed as high as 78 anyway

The panel goes up to around 85. Now whether that's 85 people or more, not too sure.

Will successful applicants have a choice really?
    It seems like it's Dublin or nothing when they're second choice panels are an unknown.

2 very similar colleagues were interviewed.
    One successful, one not. The successful one doesn't really want to go to Dublin. The unsuccessful one would have moved. Typical!

I was advised to let my HR know I got on the panel here, I work in a top heavy dept so I don't know what will happen. Would people recommend a move to a larger org with large teams or are places like SW really hard?

To continue, I would like a challenge and welcome a move but i wonder what heo work is like in a sw office or in revenue

It's so hard to decide.
    Really dependent on the section you're put in and there are so many sections in each department.
    Depends on the individual too, and attitudes.
    So just so many variables.
    I know people who absolutely love SW and Revenue, and equally people who can't wait to leave both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement