Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

I have heard so many mixed opinions, if you walk into a SW local office as the new heo that is a tough gig but here in my job i don't deal with the public as such it's a clean office role...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If you're thinking in terms of your next move after HEO, AP is an open competition and I think it's easier in terms of starting in a new dept as it's more about managing than specific knowledge. IMO!

Congratulations btw.

These competitions are just so odd.
    You'd think the first batch would be the better off, but they're not in terms of interview prep, or job placement.
    Or so it seems to me anyways.

Any way you can aim for the second batch?!

I

i think the first batch are the group that have to jump higher hurdles because as time goes on, the boards become less picky?! the man on my presentation board failed me last year so i got a shock when i saw him! i think wherever i end up i will put my head down and work hard

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    i think the first batch are the group that have to jump higher hurdles because as time goes on, the boards become less picky?!
    I don't think that's true to be fair. The marking system is there and the high failure rate in the last competition shows that it is abided by.
    Just that following batches are much more familiar with the presentation material and interview questions.
    i think wherever i end up i will put my head down and work hard
    You'll do fine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Addle wrote: »
    These competitions are just so odd.
    You'd think the first batch would be the better off, but they're not in terms of interview prep, or job placement.
    Or so it seems to me anyways.

Any way you can aim for the second batch?!

In theory, with mobility opportunities opening up, it should be possible to move to a regional location at some point after completing probation in Dublin.

But there is a lot of uncertainty in that, same as with the uncertainty of turning down a Dublin post in the hope that a regional post will open up further down the line.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    In theory, with mobility opportunities opening up, it should be possible to move to a regional location at some point after completing probation in Dublin.

Mobility options were always there. And more competitive than promotion opportunities!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Doubtitdub

Clearance started got the form there to be in by Monday at noon, moving fairly quick!

justice seems to be the word on the street for vacancies.... the panel is moving quickly . i would take Dublin slot rather than turn it out especially after all the hoops we had to jump through but I live in Dublin so happy if offered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Spencer105

The link is highlighted in green
    is the clearance form attached to the email public jobs sent or where do ppl find it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

Have all of batch 1 been called for pre clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spencer105

I reckon so. This is a very fast moving competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

you wouldn't want to be away for a few days during this comp :eek:

justice seems to be the word on the street for vacancies....
    As in Garda civilians, courts and prison service?
    Lots of nationwide opportunities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

As in Garda civilians, courts and prison service?
    Lots of nationwide opportunities there.
    Most likely the Department of Justice & Equality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

podge018 wrote: »
    you wouldn't want to be away for a few days during this comp :eek:

I went mad last week and booked myself a short break (taking 4 work days off) in early January.

Then I thought: 'Oops, what if they call the regional candidates for then?'.

That's assuming I get through the shortlisting process, though, so I might not have to worry! :D:D

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I went mad last week and booked myself a short break (taking 4 work days off) in early January.

That's assuming I get through the shortlisting process, though, so I might not have to worry! :D:D

I'd say you're safe.
    The competition was advertised as Dublin centred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Aglomerado wrote: »

There still filling regional vacancies form panels created in the 2016 comp. I reckon they will call another Dublin batch to interview first.

• Advertisement

If doing pre clearance for all batch one, it looks like could be positions available for all on the batch now or there abouts. This is the fastest PAS competition I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

Doubtitdub wrote: »
    If doing pre clearance for all batch one, it looks like could be positions available for all on the batch now or there abouts. This is the fastest PAS competition I've seen.

I contacted pas yday and they said that they expect to hold the next batch of shortlisting early in the new year.

Kanovara wrote: »
    I contacted pas yday and they said that they expect to hold the next batch of shortlisting early in the new year.

Did they say how many and if they will be regional or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

billyhead wrote: »
    Did they say how many and if they will be regional or Dublin?

No & no! I told them I was dublin with a regional choice as well!

I heard that Dublin and Mayo panels are the only ones that are exhausted.
    Is that true?

Child and Family Affairs and Justice are where the vacancies are I hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

I understand that there’s 60 spots in the first phase of placements.

I wonder where :) the roles can vary so much

I wonder where :) the roles can vary so much

Most in DEASP and Justice a lot of positions owed in both to internal panels.

What do you internal panels? this was an inter Dept competition

What do you internal panels? this was an inter Dept competition

Yes but Departments who have not run a HEO internal competition in a while owe positions to these panels so although say there are 30 HEO positions needing to be filled in say DEASP some of these will go to internal applicants on internal panels.

• Advertisement

I think they would have cleared those internal vacancies with the last heo competition, nobody is owed anything even us! We just have to put our heads down and get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Phonecrazy wrote: »
    I understand that there’s 60 spots in the first phase of placements.

Anyone know how many people got a place on the panel? I think someone said 100 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

I think they would have cleared those internal vacancies with the last heo competition, nobody is owed anything even us! We just have to put our heads down and get on with it

I know a few places doing internal competitions at the minute to have a panel for early 2018 so about a third of positions will be filled by them I think

And not every department seems to adhere to the requirement to take from all panels and not just internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Justice are due to run an internal comp for all grades in early 2018

Don't think you understand what he means by 'owe'. Posts have to be filled by a certain ratio of internal:interdepartmental:open comps.

If a Dept hasn't run an internal in a while they will owe a large proportion of their posts to be filled by an internal comp.

paul 27 wrote: »
    I know a few places doing internal competitions at the minute to have a panel for early 2018 so about a third of positions will be filled by them I think

Fingers crossed a good few people who got on this panel go for these comps too and are successful. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

And not every department seems to adhere to the requirement to take from all panels and not just internal.

They have to.It may not be in the same competition but the ratios have to be adherred to over time.

podge018 wrote: »

Don't think you understand what he means by 'owe'. Posts have to be filled by a certain ratio of internal:interdepartmental:open comps.

If a Dept hasn't run an internal in a while they will owe a large proportion of their posts to be filled by an internal comp.

I imagine it would be possible to fulfill internal quotas by retaining those promoted in an interdepartmental competition?

I imagine it would be possible to fulfill internal quotas by retaining those promoted in an interdepartmental competition?

Dont think so afaik

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »

Dont think so afaik

If it’s not the case DOJ owes dozens to the upcoming internal competition and will be able to take very few from the current competition. So I imagine there is a clause allowing Deptarments to fulfill at least some internal quotas through interdepartmental promotions for current staff

PAS wouldn't have spent time, energy rushing this comp through if there wasn't demand.

If it’s not the case DOJ owes dozens to the upcoming internal competition and will be able to take very few from the current competition. So I imagine there is a clause allowing Deptarments to fulfill at least some internal quotas through interdepartmental promotions for current staff
    DOJ is only one department so wouldn't be a big issue.
    PAS run competitions when there is a need to,I wouldnt worry about there being no vacancies there is a huge amount needed over the next few years at EO level and up.

Do we get call from our new Department or do we get an email?

Just got my formal review result. I would be interested to compare them to mine to see if it's a generic result.

I got through but what did it say in detail? i failed last year on the presentation and there was very little constructive feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Just got my formal review result. I would be interested to compare them to mine to see if it's a generic result.

When you say generic "result", what do you mean? I don't expect that the result for anyone will change from submitting the review, but I would wonder if they specifically responded to any of the points that you brought up in your request for review. Based on what I submitted, I think I will be quite sure whether or not the response I receive is generic, because there are some very specific points that I asked them to address. I haven't received a response yet though, I was advised when I submitted that it would be 19 December.
    So does anyone know how many people got a place on this panel?

I think someone said 100 but is that a hunch or is it confirmed?

There's around 85, I have that from a reliable source, but if you're not sure, call PAS.

love_love wrote: »
    When you say generic "result", what do you mean? I don't expect that the result for anyone will change from submitting the review, but I would wonder if they specifically responded to any of the points that you brought up in your request for review. Based on what I submitted, I think I will be quite sure whether or not the response I receive is generic, because there are some very specific points that I asked them to address. I haven't received a response yet though, I was advised when I submitted that it would be 19 December.

There's around 85, I have that from a reliable source, but if you're not sure, call PAS.

I was just wondering was it the same cut and paste job that they did for the informal one. I would be interested in comparing with you when you get yours if you wouldn't mind?

I did find it telling that they said the following.... "It is noted that the summary comment conveyed to you inadvertently stated that "Relevant to those shortlisted candidate did not demonstrate the level of management of projects/operations required for the HEO role"

I was just wondering was it the same cut and paste job that they did for the informal one. I would be interested in comparing with you when you get yours if you wouldn't mind?

I did find it telling that they said the following.... "It is noted that the summary comment conveyed to you inadvertently stated that "Relevant to those shortlisted candidate did not demonstrate the level of management of projects/operations required for the HEO role"

Are you a Co Littlefinger and have you managed teams, staff or projects previously that you put on the application form?

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Are you a Co Littlefinger and have you managed teams, staff or projects previously that you put on the application form?

Nope I'm an EO and yes I have managed staff and projects and put it all down on my form

Advertisement