Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

Yes I did too! Is everyone happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Candy457

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    Yes I did too! Is everyone happy?

Very happy, process went very fast in the end. Not sure of start date as of yet, between HR departments at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 14ccastle

Hi,

I've my interview and presentation next week, there's not much talk here of others doing it? Was there a small group shortlisted this time or just people aren't on boards!

A quick question for people who recently did presentation, do you have to use 'note pad' on the laptop for preparing your presentation notes/memo? That's what we had to use last year when I was up for the last HEO competition

On that note, has anyone been through both competitions? Were your experiences pretty similar apart from the extra layer of shortlisiting involved this year?

Hi, no you get to use Word on this occasion. Word pad was a nightmare to use, I'm sure objections went in after wards to PAS.

I might be wrong, but I read on here that there were approximately 215 shortlisted for interview.

I also completed the last HEO competition, however I found this one to be much tougher, particularly the interview sections of it. My interview was mainly based around leadership/management in each competency. The board were tough but fair, not much chance to catch a breath but on the good side the time flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spencer105

Candy457 wrote: »
    Very happy, process went very fast in the end. Not sure of start date as of yet, between HR departments at the minute.
    Very Happy. Staying in Justice. Where did you get?

Hi, no you get to use Word on this occasion. Word pad was a nightmare to use, I'm sure objections went in after wards to PAS.

I might be wrong, but I read on here that there were approximately 215 shortlisted for interview.

I also completed the last HEO competition, however I found this one to be much tougher, particularly the interview sections of it. My interview was mainly based around leadership/management in each competency. The board were tough but fair, not much chance to catch a breath but on the good side the time flew by.

Great, thanks for that information. I'm here preparing my competency examples, this is my 3rd interview within the year and the fear is still the same as it was the first interview!!

When is your interview? One piece of advice I can give is be able to talk about how you managed the situation/people, the whole interview was based around this, with a few curve balls of course!! :)

When is your interview? One piece of advice I can give is be able to talk about how you managed the situation/people, the whole interview was based around this, with a few curve balls of course!! :)

Sure it wouldn't be an interview without a few curve balls 😉 Thanks for the advice and any tips welcome. I missed out last year on failing the management competency by 6points so I hope to improve on that this time. I'm in on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just wondering, What departments are people being placed in - justice seems to be mentioned a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Butlerscoffee

Does anyone know if PAS are finished shortlisting the regional candidates yet? Thanks and apologies if asked already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

Does anyone know if PAS are finished shortlisting the regional candidates yet? Thanks and apologies if asked already.

Got a message recently saying they starting to work on regional shortlisting. As far as I know you'll get told if u dont make it so they must still be working on it

I'm being placed in Children and Youth Affairs, not my current employer.

14ccastle wrote: »
    Sure it wouldn't be an interview without a few curve balls �� Thanks for the advice and any tips welcome. I missed out last year on failing the management competency by 6points so I hope to improve on that this time. I'm in on Wednesday

Best of luck with it..!!:)

i'm going to Education.. what is a reasonable timeframe to expect to move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ok. Anyone know if the placements are random (whatever vacancy is next on this list type of scenario) or do they actively try to “match” ppl to certain depts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

A form issued to last years successes re qualifications and experience, but not this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ok. Anyone know if the placements are random (whatever vacancy is next on this list type of scenario) or do they actively try to “match” ppl to certain depts?

I imagine Depts that have a desire to keep their own staff or that have significantly invested in a person would be able to convince PAS to assign the person to their current Dept. No idea how it all works though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ParkRunner wrote: »
    I imagine Depts that have a desire to keep their own staff or that have significantly invested in a person would be able to convince PAS to assign the person to their current Dept. No idea how it all works though.

All depends really on the staff/dept.
    Some staff won't want to stay in current department for several reasons.Some dept won't have any vacancies in the short term and PAS aren't going to want to piss about when places need filling.
    If it all falls together with staff/HR/PAS it can be accommodated but first thing you should do is get on to your manager/HR and say you want to stay in that area if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

Anyone know when the results of the regional shortlisting are due out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

newmum62 wrote: »

Nope but am assuming possibly mid Feb perhaps with interviews starting then in March

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

newmum62 wrote: »

Called PAS, the shortlisting board is provisionally meeting at the end of Feb. so we should know in early March.

Anybody have interview this week? If so how was it?

I’m up tomorrow 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

I'm also intrigued on how the interviews are going.

What's the board like, do they stick to the competences, do they give you a grilling on any particular area etc etc?

I found my interview board very fair and I would imagine the grilling is in the area of staff management and managing multiple tasks.

Cheers.. How was the presentation?

• Advertisement

Presentation is tough but the board know this, i would suggest get used to reading reports and drafting key points in a limited time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Was in this afternoon. Found the interview challenging but fair. The presentation on the other hand, holy jaysus. Traumatising.

Glad it's over, have definitely ruled myself out

Was in this afternoon. Found the interview challenging but fair. The presentation on the other hand, holy jaysus. Traumatising.

Starry12 wrote: »

It's such a relief when it's all over and done with, feels like you ran the gauntlets.. :)

Was it the structure of the information or the presentation board that traumatised you. I found it difficult to get all that I wanted to into the report but the board were lovely?

It's such a relief when it's all over and done with, feels like you ran the gauntlets.. :)

Was it the structure of the information or the presentation board that traumatised you. I found it difficult to get all that I wanted to into the report but the board were lovely?

I just blanked and froze when I went into the presentation. It wasn't them, I just felt as though I had never read the info before in my life!

Ah well, we live and learn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 peigindubh

Starry12 wrote: »
    I just blanked and froze when I went into the presentation. It wasn't them, I just felt as though I had never read the info before in my life!

Ah well, we live and learn!

Do you feel you could have approached it differently with hindsight?

My advice is to approach the presentation with enthusiasm even if you don't feel it, the board want you to engage 70% of your score is based on how you present not the info from statistics i got off a professional coach! the time in the little room FLIES by so get reading and writing notes, don't bother highlighting stuff unless you know you have time to come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Summer2017

Can you please tell me what is the basis of the presentation? I am in next week.

No unfortunately not @Summer 2017 we all have to do it! Just read notes above and focus on writing up notes in a time limited space

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

anyone know how many they are interviewing from this current batch interviewed this week? or more importantly when the results are out

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fakeblondexxx

Hi all, was wondering does anyone know about the shortlisting procedure? Bit of management experience myself but no academic qualifications. Wondering does anyone know of anyone being shortlisted without any qualifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Augme

Hi all, was wondering does anyone know about the shortlisting procedure? Bit of management experience myself but no academic qualifications. Wondering does anyone know of anyone being shortlisted without any qualifications?

Qualifications will play very little part in the shortlisting. Management experience will trump all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Augme wrote: »
    Qualifications will play very little part in the shortlisting. Management experience will trump all.

They looked for specific examples on the form ... Think STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result). It's so long ago since I filled it up that I'll have to re-read it all soon! (Regional candidate).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fakeblondexxx

thanks for that guys, anyone that has passed the interview can they share the title of the presentation exercise they got prior to interview. would be much obliged. any news on shortlisting for regional candidates -very hard to motivate my self when you dont know if your on the list and the same time - time is running out

much obliged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am in next week. I have waited long enough for this chance of promotion so fingers crossed the day goes smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 peigindubh

thanks for that guys, anyone that has passed the interview can they share the title of the presentation exercise they got prior to interview. would be much obliged. any news on shortlisting for regional candidates -very hard to motivate my self when you dont know if your on the list and the same time - time is running out

much obliged

Is their not a confidentiality clause signed by candidates re material.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

peigindubh wrote: »
    Is their not a confidentiality clause signed by candidates re material.?

Yes.
    And all candidates get the same (and plenty enough to prepare) info in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Augme

much obliged

The title is "Should you help who you are competing against?". ;)

Is there any decent reports, or anything similar, out there in the vast internet that can be a useful prep for the presentation?

Any Government report online should suffice! We were all in the same boat, it's the unknown but it is worth preparing and having mock interviews

Did any CO's that were called for Interview in the 1st shortlisting exercise for Dublin get on Panel and or get a HEO job from this campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Lodger81

Did any CO's that were called for Interview in the 1st shortlisting exercise for Dublin get on Panel and or get a HEO job from this campaign?

I was appointed as a CO though my management example came from a previous role in the private sector.

Lodger81 wrote: »
    I was appointed as a CO though my management example came from a previous role in the private sector.

Thank you!!
    Thats great!! Well done & the very best of luck as HEO

I am also a CO who applied & my example is also from the Private sector

I am a regional candidate - so still waiting to hear if make it thru the "shortlisting"

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spencer105

I'm a co and my examples were from private sector and volunteering. I was placed in justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GGbutterfly90

Hi All

I was a CO based in Social Welfare. Spent all my time on counter duties like signing and queries. Then in the evening it was filing pieces of paper into files Well now i'm free. I am assigned to a different Department in Dublin. Signed on yesterday. My only other experience before this was working part time in Topshop. So if CO's can bluff an interview they can earn a decent wage and take a good jump up the promotional ladder !!!

Advertisement