Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

...bluff an interview...
    This.
    BS with confidence.
    You can say whatever you want.
    The board have to take you at your word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Chrissy2

Really?? I though you were an EO previously?
    Hi All

This question is directed at the people like myself that have taken up EO ICT positions. How are the rest of you guys getting on. Are ye happy with the work and the pay?

Personally I think I pulled the short straw. I am working on an out of date unsupported system. This is absolutely no benefit to me or to my CV. There is no budget in this department for any training. My HEO give me a lot of Clerical Officer duties because the CO's in the section are here so long and refuse to do the work. Even the money is crap but I knew that coming in. 2 of the other EO's recruited before I arrived have left already and have not being replaced.

I have 3 more months to serve in my probation period. Then I think its time to start having babies.............

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

You have to know the story thoroughly because they will question you, I got two questions at the end of the interview from the Chair on my example of a project in my Department, she knew of the individuals involved and she asked me who they were and grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

Spencer105 wrote: »
    I'm a co and my examples were from private sector and volunteering. I was placed in justice

Thank you!! best of luck & well done!!
    great to hear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

Hi All

I was a CO based in Social Welfare. Spent all my time on counter duties like signing and queries. Then in the evening it was filing pieces of paper into files Well now i'm free. I am assigned to a different Department in Dublin. Signed on yesterday. My only other experience before this was working part time in Topshop. So if CO's can bluff an interview they can earn a decent wage and take a good jump up the promotional ladder !!!

Thank you!! best of luck & well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Skybright

Anyone have any idea when the results are out? I had my interview last week. I felt fine after the presentation but I think I messed up the interview so am not hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Skybright wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when the results are out? I had my interview last week. I felt fine after the presentation but I think I messed up the interview so am not hopeful.

End of the month was what I was told. I was the opposite of you in that I thought I did well in the interview but messed up the presentation exercise

Thanks for that. Another while so. A hard process to go so far and fail at the last possible hurdle. I wonder how many weeks of interviews are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 14ccastle

I was told results will be out this week...I find the waiting is hard

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

Apparently the regional interviews are starting on the 12/3/18. Its a bit unfair that people haven't even being told yet if they have been successful In getting through the shortlisting when you could be having an interview in 2.5 weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

That information should be available next week. It's no different than batch one for Dublin. I found out on Nov 6 that I had been short listed for interview on the 15th some people got less notice I think d interviews started d 12th

Don't think its right to give people opportunity to get organised & prepped.

quote="pinkrunners;106214382"]That information should be available next week. It's no different than batch one for Dublin. I found out on Nov 6 that I had been short listed for interview on the 15th some people got less notice I think d interviews started d 12th[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

newmum62 wrote: »
    Don't think its right to give people opportunity to get organised & prepped.

quote="pinkrunners;106214382"]That information should be available next week. It's no different than batch one for Dublin. I found out on Nov 6 that I had been short listed for interview on the 15th some people got less notice I think d interviews started d 12th
    [/QUOTE]

1 week is plenty time. What more would you want..... you should already have your examples prepared by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

Everyone is in the same boat. You have your form you can start working on your examples. I spent three days doing it and it was more than enough time.

Batch 2 interview results are out. Made the panel. Thought I messed up the presentation exercise:D

I got really good marks in the interview but failed the presentation. I’m gutted cos i thought I did well in the presentation and not so well in the interview. Very frustrating. Congrats to all that get through.

Skybright wrote: »
    I got really good marks in the interview but failed the presentation. I’m gutted cos i thought I did well in the presentation and not so well in the interview. Very frustrating. Congrats to all that get through.

Chin up. I have missed out on passing Interviews before and it just spurs you on to try to do better the next time.

Ah yeah, thanks. Just surprised at failing the presentation. Oh well, onwards and upwards ��

Apparently the regional interviews are starting on the 12/3/18.
    Has anyone been appointed from a regional panel this year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

billyhead wrote: »
    Batch 2 interview results are out. Made the panel. Thought I messed up the presentation exercise:D

Yay- made the panel here too. Scraped the interview- but actually did pretty ok on the presentation. Pretty far down the panel though- so not sure whether I'll even be called. Time will tell. Its been a learning experience one way or the other.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, no.

At the end of last year they said Dublin a priority & would be working on regional in new year & then a few weeks ago I got the message saying they were starting shortlisting for the regional areas.
    Addle wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They haven't done any interviews for regional yet on this competition afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 14ccastle

Thankfully I also made the panel ðŸ˜႒

Does anyone know if PAS have placed all the candidates that were in the 1st Dublin panel?

yabadabado wrote: »
    They haven't done any interviews for regional yet on this competition afaik.

No. Hardly when there's loads to pick from on existing provincial panels.
    I'm surprised the interviews for the 2017 comp are taking place before the existing panels close.

No. Hardly when there's loads to pick from on existing provincial panels.
    I'm surprised the interviews for the 2017 comp are taking place before the existing panels close.

The 2016 HEO competition is closing at the end of March so it makes sense to start calling people from this panel for interview in the coming weeks.
    They will have a new regional panel up and running more or less at the same time the 2016 is closed.
    It's always going to happen that people won't get placed on some panels when it's a 2 year process.

Very frustrating for those waiting I imagine.
    I'm nearly glad I didn't make the panel rather than place and get nothing out of it.

Very frustrating for those waiting I imagine.
    I'm nearly glad I didn't make the panel rather than place and get nothing out of it.

Might be frustrating but it's probably the fairest way. The higher you are the better chance you have and with a 2 year turn around it brings in people who might not have been eligible previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

wrong thread

yabadabado wrote: »
    The higher you are the better chance you have.

As long as you've picked an opportune county.

Why can't they advertise no. of possible positions and where?
    Surely some managers forward plan for retirements and/or expansions.

It would give the best applicants the best opportunities.

I could put in the same effort commuting to more than two counties.
    If I knew where the best opportunities for placement are, obviously I'd pick them.
    Is it fair that, in theory, no. 1 in the whole competition night never get a job?

Eg. It was made clear that this (2017) comp is predominantly being run to fill vacancies in Dublin.
    So if I really wanted the job this time, I'd have choosen Dublin as a location.

• Advertisement

My point still stands the higher you place the better chance you have.
    It's up to each applicant to decide where they apply for PAS aren't going to hold anyones hand.You can apply for any two areas you want.

PAS ran competitions previously where you didn't nominate an area, the jobs were offered as they became available and by all accounts it was a mess.

No process is going to be perfect but by and large I think PAS are doing a decent job of it. I'd like to see them offer 3 areas to pick from and maybe wait until the end end of the numerical/verbal assessments before you choose your area's.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Made the panel too. Early 40s.

Can't believe it after that presentation exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

Regional shortlisting out. They are calling however many people were left on the first 400 batch called for Dublin ( I wonder how many there are??) in 2017. I was 41X after the stage two listing, so hope to get called soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Regional shortlisting out. They are calling however many people were left on the first 400 batch called for Dublin ( I wonder how many there are??) in 2017. I was 41X after the stage two listing, so hope to get called soon.

I'm in too ;) delighted. I thought I'd hear something this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 khlebnikov

Placed in the 400's after the supervised testing but unfortunately didn't make the shortlisting. :( I would have liked to have had the experience of doing the interview and presentation as its been over 10 years since my interview for the civil service. I'm a C.O so it was always going to be a bit of a struggle as I just don't get to practice too many management or leadership skills and wouldn't have any of those skills from the private sector either. Just have to wait for the next EO comp.

Well done and best of luck at interview stage to all those shortlisted. :) Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Curiousg33

So I also made it through the shortlisting process. I have a slight issue though in that I’m due to give birth any day now. Anyone know/reckon I’d be successful if I ask PAS to schedule my interview towards the end of March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Kjh100

Only calling those on the regional panel up to 400 who survived shortlisting. I was 420 so have to hope for batch 1 to exhaust.

Also got email today from PAS to inform me that I missed the Situational Judgement on the AP by 4 marks.

Rounding off a bad day nicely

Curiousg33 wrote: »
    So I also made it through the shortlisting process. I have a slight issue though in that I’m due to give birth any day now. Anyone know/reckon I’d be successful if I ask PAS to schedule my interview towards the end of March?

Call PAS, that should not be a problem. And congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

205 after exams but have fell on the shortlisting. Very disappointed but lesson learned about the process.
    Mobility which I'm not eligible for another 12 months will now be my only hope of getting out of current department.

I heard nothing from the regional shortlisting but I had got the message saying they were starting shortlisting & would be in touch shortly. Maybe I'm too far down the panel but I still expected is get a yey or ney result, what ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daenis123

I heard nothing from the regional shortlisting but I had got the message saying they were starting shortlisting & would be in touch shortly. Maybe I'm too far down the panel but I still expected is get a yey or ney result, what ye think?

Yes Newmum62. I got the msg notifying re shortlisting for regionals ages ago but no message since.... I’ll have to ring Monday.

• Advertisement

I thought either way we would have heard.
    daenis123 wrote: »
    Yes Newmum62. I got the msg notifying re shortlisting for regionals ages ago but no message since.... I’ll have to ring Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

I was in a similar situation last year for another competition and pas offered a deferral to the next call.

Be careful when you are talking to PAS. I had a very genuine reason in asking for a previous interview to be moved & they said that's no problem at all. I just assumed they'd give me a later date. In reality what they did was actually pit me down for the next batch of interview with no guarantee that they would actually be calling more people so make sure they are just offering a different date & not putting u off altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daenis123

I thought either way we would have heard.

Newmum- I rang PAS. They said they called up to 731 in the OOM for presentation. I was well beyond that. They will send an email informing us. There may or may not be a further round. Boo.....

Aw thanks a million for letting me know.
    Next time maybe.

quote="daenis123;106261053"]Newmum- I rang PAS. They said they called up to 731 in the OOM for presentation. I was well beyond that. They will send an email informing us. There may or may not be a further round. Boo.....[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Did anyone have any success when asking for a review of the shortlisting?

Didnt realise you could.
    Can you get feedback on it?
    TheChevron wrote: »
    Did anyone have any success when asking for a review of the shortlisting?

daenis123 wrote: »
    Newmum- I rang PAS. They said they called up to 731 in the OOM for presentation. I was well beyond that. They will send an email informing us. There may or may not be a further round. Boo.....

For regional or Dublin? Thanks ;)

For regional on this bit.
    For regional or Dublin? Thanks ;)

For regional on this bit.

Hmm I am 41X and go through shortlisting but did not get called for presentation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement