Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

I'd be calling them
    Hmm I am 41X and go through shortlisting but did not get called for presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kjh100

Hmm I am 41X and go through shortlisting but did not get called for presentation?

I'm 420 on oom.

Email I got said:
    'Candidates placed up to 400 on the Stage 2 Order of Merit and who selected a Regional location on their application form are being called at this time.'

Ah you just missed out.
    Such a pity
    Kjh100 wrote: »
    I'm 420 on oom.

Email I got said:
    'Candidates placed up to 400 on the Stage 2 Order of Merit and who selected a Regional location on their application form are being called at this time.'

Im same as you.
    My understanding is we weren't reached on the panel, too far down.

quote="missyver;106263997"]Can someone please help. I applied for regional HEO & got email to say I'm eligible for this competition & that I am put through to next round of shortlisting but have heard nothing since. That email was sent early Jan so does that mean I have been unsuccessful because I have heard nothing back?[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone know if all of panel 1 (Dublin) have been placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

TheChevron wrote: »
    Did anyone have any success when asking for a review of the shortlisting?
    newmum62 wrote: »
    Didnt realise you could.
    Can you get feedback on it?

Haven't heard of anyone getting the decision overturned, and no, you don't get feedback, you just get told that they were right not to shortlist you! I would still advise people to request a review through the relevant channels (check back in the info booklet for a guide on how to do this) as there's power in numbers, and maybe they'll rethink doing this the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭missyver

Thank you. That's disappointing. How do I find out my position on the panel?

newmum62 wrote: »
    Im same as you.
    My understanding is we weren't reached on the panel, too far down.

quote="missyver;106263997"]Can someone please help. I applied for regional HEO & got email to say I'm eligible for this competition & that I am put through to next round of shortlisting but have heard nothing since. That email was sent early Jan so does that mean I have been unsuccessful because I have heard nothing back?
    [/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Holy Motorsesque

I'm new to Boards. Live outside Dublin. I did the HEO Interdept a couple of weeks ago. I'm down as Dublin and a regional but the session I was at was for Dublin-only. Will I get my result online via the public jobs site and how long will it take to come through? If I have passed it will I get word on whereabouts I have come for both Dublin and the regional, or for Dublin only? If I get offered a position for Dublin how long do I have to consider it before giving them an answer? Thanks

I'm new to Boards. Live outside Dublin. I did the HEO Interdept a couple of weeks ago. I'm down as Dublin and a regional but the session I was at was for Dublin-only. Will I get my result online via the public jobs site and how long will it take to come through? If I have passed it will I get word on whereabouts I have come for both Dublin and the regional, or for Dublin only? If I get offered a position for Dublin how long do I have to consider it before giving them an answer? Thanks

You should have received your results and panel placement if successful from the interview/presentation already as they were released last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

Quick Q - Have regional candidates been informed that they have been shortlisted for interview yet?

I think I was placed between 1250 - 1350 originally overall .... Selected Regional locations only ...

Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Quick Q - Have regional candidates been informed that they have been shortlisted for interview yet?

I think I was placed between 1250 - 1350 originally overall .... Selected Regional locations only ...

Thanks!! :)

Yes I was informed last Friday and I have an interview date in mid March. :)

missyver wrote: »
    How do you know you were placed 1250-1350?

*** i received an email after the supervised tests (as haven't been called to interview)!! :)

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yes I was informed last Friday and I have an interview date in mid March. :)

Thank you!!
    Were you placed less than 800 or less than a 1000 after supervised tests if you don't mind me asking please?

Thank you!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- there are all sorts of stories about various Departments owing large numbers of posts to this panel.
    As we're all serving civil servants, and presumably don't need clearances etc- do people reckon the panel is going to move quickly.
    Wholly aside from anything else- I'm guessing a lot of us will petition our current home Departments to keep us (though I'm sure there are more than a few who would welcome a change of scenery)- and depending on what Divisions/Sections we're currently in- hand-over to replacement staff could be a protracted affair (esp. for those of us working under complex regulatory regimes). I know we're all supposed to have Section handbooks which have a reasonable account of what we're actually doing- however, I'm certain these mythical handbooks- are rare as unicorns. I envisage extended handovers?

Thank you!!
    Were you placed less than 800 or less than a 1000 after supervised tests if you don't mind me asking please?

Thank you!!

Scored in the 240s after supervised testing.

• Advertisement

Guys- there are all sorts of stories about various Departments owing large numbers of posts to this panel.
    As we're all serving civil servants, and presumably don't need clearances etc- do people reckon the panel is going to move quickly.
    Wholly aside from anything else- I'm guessing a lot of us will petition our current home Departments to keep us (though I'm sure there are more than a few who would welcome a change of scenery)- and depending on what Divisions/Sections we're currently in- hand-over to replacement staff could be a protracted affair (esp. for those of us working under complex regulatory regimes). I know we're all supposed to have Section handbooks which have a reasonable account of what we're actually doing- however, I'm certain these mythical handbooks- are rare as unicorns. I envisage extended handovers?

I wouldn't think panel 2 will move as fast as panel 1 as there usually is urgent vacancies to fill. At least for all those on panel 2 is the fact that the competition doesn't exhaust until Oct 2019 so all should be placed. I finished inside the top 20 on the panel so hopefully clearance will start within the next few weeks.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Scored in the 240s after supervised testing.

Thanks for the info!! Best of luck!!

Did anyone on panel 2 for Dublin here anything about clearance yet?

billyhead wrote: »

As of yesterday morning- it hadn't started yet (whatever it entails).
    Congrats by the way.

All of us placed on the Dublin only panel- presumably our scores carry for the regional panels (remember at the outset you had to put down two counties- which for those of us here- Dublin was obviously one of the two). Turning down a Dublin post in the hope of a regional post- is going to be a bit of a gamble- but I guess some of us will probably roll the dice and take our chances.

Its a pity that PAS aren't a little more proactive in trying to place people where they actually want to be.

Does anyone know what the process/procedure is- to try and remain in your current Department (or not- as I'm sure some people would throw a party to get a transfer elsewhere). Is it as simple as ringing PAS and advising them that you'd prefer to stay in DSP (for example)- or would like a transfer out (where presumably you'd be offered whatever was next on the list- as opposed to being allowed a preference.

This whole concept of us being interchangeable- and no cognisance whatsoever of people's skills and/or education or background- is a bit of a waste of valuable resources- if they're not going to try and leverage them!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

I was placed on batch one of this panel, the day I got the email confirming my place on the panel I contacted my own personnel department and informed them that I would like to stay in the Department. They then contact PAS and tag you to stay in your current Department. If a vacancy is available in your Department when they reach your number on the panel they usually allocate you to your own Department. I was lucky I got to stay in my current Department.

As of yesterday morning- it hadn't started yet (whatever it entails).
    Congrats by the way.

All of us placed on the Dublin only panel- presumably our scores carry for the regional panels (remember at the outset you had to put down two counties- which for those of us here- Dublin was obviously one of the two). Turning down a Dublin post in the hope of a regional post- is going to be a bit of a gamble- but I guess some of us will probably roll the dice and take our chances.

Its a pity that PAS aren't a little more proactive in trying to place people where they actually want to be.

Does anyone know what the process/procedure is- to try and remain in your current Department (or not- as I'm sure some people would throw a party to get a transfer elsewhere). Is it as simple as ringing PAS and advising them that you'd prefer to stay in DSP (for example)- or would like a transfer out (where presumably you'd be offered whatever was next on the list- as opposed to being allowed a preference.

This whole concept of us being interchangeable- and no cognisance whatsoever of people's skills and/or education or background- is a bit of a waste of valuable resources- if they're not going to try and leverage them!

• Advertisement

I was placed on batch one of this panel, the day I got the email confirming my place on the panel I contacted my own personnel department and informed them that I would like to stay in the Department. They then contact PAS and tag you to stay in your current Department. If a vacancy is available in your Department when they reach your number on the panel they usually allocate you to your own Department. I was lucky I got to stay in my current Department.

Personally. I am eager to move Depts for experience elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

I was realitively new to the Department so I wanted to stay. Location of head office suited too as I am commuting. Ended up in an area completely different to anywhere I've ever been before so worked out well.
    Personally. I am eager to move Depts for experience elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 14ccastle

I just rang PAS and they said it will be atleast another month before anyone is called from batch 2 (Dublin)...more waiting!

Then when you get it, there is a 2/3 month backlog to get your increase in your wages (I've experienced this recently going from CO to EO!)

But atleast we made the panel and looks likely that we will be called :)

14ccastle wrote: »
    I just rang PAS and they said it will be atleast another month before anyone is called from batch 2 (Dublin)...more waiting!

Then when you get it, there is a 2/3 month backlog to get your increase in your wages (I've experienced this recently going from CO to EO!)

But atleast we made the panel and looks likely that we will be called :)

Thanks 14ccastle. I presume they didn't mention if clearance will take place first or did they say the 1st placements from batch 2 will be another month? As far as I know clearance takes a few weeks thus it could be about 2 months or more before the 1st placements occur from batch 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Does anyone know what the process/procedure is- to try and remain in your current Department

Contact your HR. They'll obviously need to want to keep you too. I know somebody who was told that they weren't wanted and good luck in wherever your new Department is!

podge018 wrote: »
    Contact your HR. They'll obviously need to want to keep you too. I know somebody who was told that they weren't wanted and good luck in wherever your new Department is!

Eeek! Wonder what they did (or didn't do) to annoy their home Department that badly!

Would it not be premature to go about informing HR that you were placed on the panel but would like to stay in your dept/office if there was a position available. Should people on the panel wait until at least the clearance process commences first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would it not be premature to go about informing HR that you were placed on the panel but would like to stay in your dept/office if there was a position available. Should people on the panel wait until at least the clearance process commences first?

When the clearance starts you are already assigned to a dept. afaik

yabadabado wrote: »
    When the clearance starts you are already assigned to a dept. afaik

Didn't know that. Does PAS ring you and let you know what depts you are going to be assigned too and do they give you a coupe of choices. Its so long since I got EO on an open competition but I think they gave 2 options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Didn't know that. Does PAS ring you and let you know what depts you are going to be assigned too and do they give you a coupe of choices. Its so long since I got EO on an open competition but I think they gave 2 options.

You get the choice of 2 location's/counties after that then you have no real choice. They won't be ringing you up and offering 2 or 3 places in your location.It may happen an odd time but it would be very rare to be given a choice they just want to fill locations ASAP as they get them.

They will ring you say do you want Dept X in Location Y, if you agree it goes to clearance.

• Advertisement

No, if you want to stay where you are, tell them as soon as your placed.

Eeek! Wonder what they did (or didn't do) to annoy their home Department that badly!

slight troublemaker, and I think the Dept just thought we'll take our chances with a different HEO off the panel.

podge018 wrote: »
    slight troublemaker, and I think the Dept just thought we'll take our chances with a different HEO off the panel.

Thanks podge18. Thats interesting so you are offered a placement in a dept/office in both regions you choose at the very beginning of the application although you don't have any intention in moving to the second region (for most anyway as it was compulsory on the application form). The problem would be if you lived for example in Balbriggan and you were offered a position in Clonskeagh (Peoplepoint) or say Ashtown Gate (Revenue) and you have an awkward time consuming commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks podge18. Thats interesting so you are offered a placement in a dept/office in both regions you choose at the very beginning of the application although you don't have any intention in moving to the second region (for most anyway as it was compulsory on the application form). The problem would be if you lived for example in Balbriggan and you were offered a position in Clonskeagh (Peoplepoint) or say Ashtown Gate (Revenue) and you have an awkward time consuming commute.

You're offered one job in one location.
    You can turn it down and wait for something to come up in your other location, but it's a risk.

Addle wrote: »
    You're offered one job in one location.
    You can turn it down and wait for something to come up in your other location, but it's a risk.

I presume the offer of a job in your primary location I e Dublin can be anywhere within the 45km radius as per the Haddington Rd agreement. It's all luck I suppose in where your offered in that when they get to your number on the panel you could get an office that is conveniently commutable or not.

I presume the offer of a job in your primary location I e Dublin can be anywhere within the 45km radius as per the Haddington Rd agreement. It's all luck I suppose in where your offered in that when they get to your number on the panel you could get an office that is conveniently commutable or not.

Its damn risky- and you can be moved within 45km of your current location- anyway 'for business reasons'- so even if you turned down offer no. 1 you could still find yourself moved to a different office- its one of those no good deed goes unpunished scenarios...........

Its damn risky- and you can be moved within 45km of your current location- anyway 'for business reasons'- so even if you turned down offer no. 1 you could still find yourself moved to a different office- its one of those no good deed goes unpunished scenarios...........

Even if you decided to stay in your current department in terms of geographically dispersed offices such as Revenue and DSP you could be assigned a role that is very awkward too commute to i.e you currently live in Balbriggan and your assigned to manage a local office in Tallaght:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

I'm up in the morning. Just doing my final prep. My role has changed massively since I completed the form and I'm currently in an acting up position as a HEO. Did the interview board discuss the exact examples that you gave or was there opportunity to use a different example for a question? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You'll have ample opportunity to sell yourself, even if it's just in the 'anything you'd like to add' segment in the end.
    Good luck!
    It's yours to lose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

I'm up in the morning. Just doing my final prep. My role has changed massively since I completed the form and I'm currently in an acting up position as a HEO. Did the interview board discuss the exact examples that you gave or was there opportunity to use a different example for a question? Thanks

In the warm up when they ask you questions about your career etc. (no marks for this bit) hit them with this information. Then you can reference it during the competencies - in my current role, as an acting HEO blah blah blah. At all interviews I’ve attended in the last while the board have allowed me to chose my own example but they can ask for another if it’s not hitting the mark.

Phonecrazy wrote: »
    In the warm up when they ask you questions about your career etc. (no marks for this bit) hit them with this information.

There certainly is marks for this bit, if for nothing other than Interpersonal & Communication Skills. Competencies are scored over the whole interview, not just while each particular one is being examined. If you are displaying good Analysis and Decision Making during the questioning on Team Leadership, you should be scored up accordingly.

I'm up this week. Feeling nervous. Swotting up on my form and competencies! Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

Does anyone know how long the interviews for the regionals are lasting? Anyone on the week after next?

Finito..it was tough, but the board were lovely! I can relax now. I was really worried about deviation from answering what was asked in there and hope I didn't wander too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 14ccastle

For anyone who just placed on the 2nd Dublin panel after recent interview, here's the update I got this morning from PAS:

1) They are still placing people from batch 1 (For Dublin)
    2) They hope to start clearance for people in batch 2 within the next 2 weeks
    3) They don't know how many they will call when they do start calling people

Remember this is all just guidance, NOT gospel :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Jezzabel

Hi all - apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

I received an email from PAS two months ago telling me that the regional shortlisting was going to commence. It read as follows:-

"I refer to your application for the above mentioned recruitment competition. Please note that we will begin Stage 3- Shortlisting for candidates who selected regional locations shortly. The top ranked candidates who are successful at Stage 3- Shortlisting will be invited to Stage 4 in March 2018. We will be in touch with you in due course regarding the result of Stage 3 – Shortlisting."

I have received nothing since, no result etc. Then again, "due course" leaves it wide open I suppose. I'm aware that the shortlisting has commenced as have interviews. I must not have been placed high enough after supervised tests. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any further info/updates from PAS regarding shortlisting or next stages of the regional locations?

Anyone hear how far down the post-stage2 panel PAS went when shortlisting for regionals? If anyone has made the cut - can you tell me where you were placed on panel after supervised tests? (ish?)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 daenis123

Jezzabel wrote: »
    Hi all - apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

I received an email from PAS two months ago telling me that the regional shortlisting was going to commence. It read as follows:-

"I refer to your application for the above mentioned recruitment competition. Please note that we will begin Stage 3- Shortlisting for candidates who selected regional locations shortly. The top ranked candidates who are successful at Stage 3- Shortlisting will be invited to Stage 4 in March 2018. We will be in touch with you in due course regarding the result of Stage 3 – Shortlisting."

I have received nothing since, no result etc. Then again, "due course" leaves it wide open I suppose. I'm aware that the shortlisting has commenced as have interviews. I must not have been placed high enough after supervised tests. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any further info/updates from PAS regarding shortlisting or next stages of the regional locations?

Anyone hear how far down the post-stage2 panel PAS went when shortlisting for regionals? If anyone has made the cut - can you tell me where you were placed on panel after supervised tests? (ish?)

Jezzable :::
    I rang PAS about 3 weeks ago....They said they called up to 731 in the OOM for presentation. I was well beyond that. They will send an email informing us. There may or may not be a further round. Ring them yourself just to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kjh100

daenis123 wrote: »
    Jezzable :::
    I rang PAS about 3 weeks ago....They said they called up to 731 in the OOM for presentation. I was well beyond that. They will send an email informing us. There may or may not be a further round. Ring them yourself just to verify

Info I received was that they only went as far as 400 in Batch 1 on the OOM for Stage 4(post shortlisting) for the regional panels.
    I was expecting to be called but was just outside 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I was called for the regional panel but I was in the 20's in the OOM. My partner also did the comp but was in the 500's and was not called yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stillstandin

Does anyone know how long the interviews for the regionals are lasting? Anyone on the week after next?

I'm wondering a about this too. I did interview& presentation during week of 12th to 16th March. Not feeling very hopeful of passing. Anyone know when I will be put out of my misery?

• Advertisement
Advertisement