Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

No the regional panels are small enough and they are only on batch 2 now.

Congratulations!!! :) I don’t think this panel closes until Jan 2019, but I could be wrong.

Just double checked the booklet, the panels last until 30 Oct 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hellothere77

Just double checked the booklet, the panels last until 30 Oct 2019!

That's really good thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So do we know what number's been reached on the non-Dublin panel (called for interview)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Addle wrote: »
    So do we know what number's been reached on the non-Dublin panel (called for interview)?

Or placed with an order of merit- as obviously it'll include all those offered a Dublin post who turned it down in favour of a regional panel place- but weren't offered a regional place on the panel, given the regionals only got to place X on the panel..........

E.g. if you have 1000 on the overall order of merit- but have turned down a Dublin position (which is already at almost 2,000) as unsuitable- are you now in the running for a place on the regional order of merit- or are we still way down the order of pecking?

• Advertisement

Well I was around 400 in exams and did interview for regional

Or placed with an order of merit- as obviously it'll include all those offered a Dublin post who turned it down in favour of a regional panel place- but weren't offered a regional place on the panel, given the regionals only got to place X on the panel..........

E.g. if you have 1000 on the overall order of merit- but have turned down a Dublin position (which is already at almost 2,000) as unsuitable- are you now in the running for a place on the regional order of merit- or are we still way down the order of pecking?

Hi are u saying that if u picked dublin when applying and got called for interview 1st based on that and passed interview but then refused dublin you are then allowed to go onto a regional panel?

And do u know if u are on regional panel and refuse 1st offer for dept they offer (dept u dont want to go to) are u gone?

Hi are u saying that if u picked dublin when applying and got called for interview 1st based on that and passed interview but then refused dublin you are then allowed to go onto a regional panel?

No- you picked two counties in order of preference at the outset when applying for the competition- one of which could have been Dublin. You get called to the 'Dublin' interview- way further down the panel than the regional- even if 'Dublin' is your second choice. You get the interview- and a place on the panel. The panel is a combined panel- for everywhere- even if you were interviewed specifically for Dublin. You turn down Dublin when you get your offer- if the location doesn't suit (not all the posts are Dublin city centre- they're all over the place- and even if you could manage to commute to Dublin city centre- there is nothing to say a local office in Balbriggan or Swords- is plausible. You are then *off* the Dublin panel- but your interview that you did for Dublin- holds and is the mark you are assigned for the regional panel. However, if you were placed 1,000 in the order of merit for Dublin- and offered a place- which you've turned down- while you're still entitled to a place on the panel for your second county (where-ever that may be)- obviously, you won't actually be paneled for your second county- until such time as they get as far as your order of merit- but you don't have to do a second interview- you've already done it.

It means essentially- that someone 5 times further down the order of merit (at position over 2,000) could plausibly be called to interview- or placed- for Dublin- before someone at position 400 on the amalgamated regional panel. And that person- if they were offered a Dublin post in some weird location and turned it down- would still be entitled to a place on the regional panel- when the regional panel catches up with their place on the Dublin panel (which might never happen).

It means- you could do the Dublin interview- a lot sooner than the regional interview- if you had put multiple counties on your original application form- and see what you're offered- and if its clearly unsuitable- turn it down- in the knowledge you're still on the regional panel- but depending on where your original order of merit is- its taking a serious gamble, as the regional panel may never get to your Dublin order of merit.

It gives you two bites at the cherry- but its a dangerous gamble that may or may not pay off. It also means that you need to be 4-5 times higher on the order of merit after interview- to be considered for a regional post- than someone who is willing to take a Dublin position- i.e. at any given time a regional candidate will have performed significantly better at interview- than a given Dublin candidate (at the same point in time)- given there are a multiple of times more posts in Dublin than regionally.

It all depends on how you filled out your application form at the outside.

No- you picked two counties in order of preference at the outset when applying for the competition- one of which could have been Dublin. You get called to the 'Dublin' interview- way further down the panel than the regional- even if 'Dublin' is your second choice. You get the interview- and a place on the panel. The panel is a combined panel- for everywhere- even if you were interviewed specifically for Dublin. You turn down Dublin when you get your offer- if the location doesn't suit (not all the posts are Dublin city centre- they're all over the place- and even if you could manage to commute to Dublin city centre- there is nothing to say a local office in Balbriggan or Swords- is plausible. You are then *off* the Dublin panel- but your interview that you did for Dublin- holds and is the mark you are assigned for the regional panel. However, if you were placed 1,000 in the order of merit for Dublin- and offered a place- which you've turned down- while you're still entitled to a place on the panel for your second county (where-ever that may be)- obviously, you won't actually be paneled for your second county- until such time as they get as far as your order of merit- but you don't have to do a second interview- you've already done it.

It means essentially- that someone 5 times further down the order of merit (at position over 2,000) could plausibly be called to interview- or placed- for Dublin- before someone at position 400 on the amalgamated regional panel. And that person- if they were offered a Dublin post in some weird location and turned it down- would still be entitled to a place on the regional panel- when the regional panel catches up with their place on the Dublin panel (which might never happen).

It means- you could do the Dublin interview- a lot sooner than the regional interview- if you had put multiple counties on your original application form- and see what you're offered- and if its clearly unsuitable- turn it down- in the knowledge you're still on the regional panel- but depending on where your original order of merit is- its taking a serious gamble, as the regional panel may never get to your Dublin order of merit.

It gives you two bites at the cherry- but its a dangerous gamble that may or may not pay off. It also means that you need to be 4-5 times higher on the order of merit after interview- to be considered for a regional post- than someone who is willing to take a Dublin position- i.e. at any given time a regional candidate will have performed significantly better at interview- than a given Dublin candidate (at the same point in time)- given there are a multiple of times more posts in Dublin than regionally.

It all depends on how you filled out your application form at the outside.

Thanks for explaining all that wow it is a gamble and true dublin is so widespread hope it works out for u. U score high in explaining in clear language anyway!

Do they tell you department they're offering you?
    I heard you're only told location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Do they tell you department they're offering you?
    I heard you're only told location.

I was given the department on the day I received my offer.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I was given the department on the day I received my offer.

If u don't take 1st offer are u gone? Hope your new job going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

If u don't take 1st offer are u gone? Hope your new job going well

I'm not sure. I know that when I was successful in AO last year I turned down a job in Clonakilty, Cork city is much easier for me. I was told I was left on the panel for Cork, but then this job came up.
    Liking the new job so far thanks, it's working out well & I get out of the office regularly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Penny22

I’m in batch 1 & very high on both my regional choices and no movement at all☹️

Penny22 wrote: »
    I’m in batch 1 & very high on both my regional choices and no movement at all☹️

Sorry Penny. It depends on the county(ies) you have on your application. Some counties might not get any posts at all- while others, despite not being Dublin- might have a steady dribble of posts coming up and on-stream.

The bigger issue for regional candidates- is the reopening of the lateral mobility scheme- which gives a lot of people who are in Dublin first dibs on posts that come up regionally- before they are recruited to be filled regionally- which then opens up a Dublin post- which is at least partially how we're in the situation with 5-6-7 times more posts in Dublin- than in the rest of the country combined (despite a majority of the civil service not even being in Dublin).

Yes, that’s all very true. I would love to know how many are appointed from batch 1 in regional areas..anyone know? It seems to be very few, so why have pas called batch 2 if there is no hope of everyone in batch 1 getting appointed.

There must be vacancies somewhere.
    Obviously a need for heos when results were out so quickly.

I've said it before, but in what other line of work are people expected to apply for a job, go through 4 stages of a shortlisting and interview process, without even knowing if there are vacancies. It's ridiculous.

Yes, that’s all very true. I would love to know how many are appointed from batch 1 in regional areas..anyone know? It seems to be very few, so why have pas called batch 2 if there is no hope of everyone in batch 1 getting appointed.

Because certain counties have had their portion of the regional panel exhausted. You could choose two counties at the outset- and you'd effectively be on a separate panel for each county. Some counties (think Kildare, Cork, Limerick and a few others for example)- have drawn down a number of candidates- whereas other counties- haven't taken a single candidate from the panel. And then you have two Departments who have gone completely and utterly rogue with internal panels and haven't taken anyone off the panel, full stop- regardless of what the county is- and DPER haven't stopped them..........

Once a couple of counties have exhausted their candidates- PAS call the next batch to interview- regardless of there being a large cohort for other counties- who in all probability will never get called.

Its a numbers game- you have to be careful with the counties you put on the application form at the outset- it is more strategic to put down certain counties- than others................

Its a numbers game- you have to be careful with the counties you put on the application form at the outset- it is more strategic to put down certain counties- than others................

That was obvious from the last competition.

• Advertisement

And then you have two Departments who have gone completely and utterly rogue with internal panels and haven't taken anyone off the panel, full stop- regardless of what the county is- and DPER haven't stopped them..........
    Why don't the union do something about this?

Why don't the union do something about this?

Seems DPER is failing in their responsibility

Well I need to confirm with PAS on Monday, but I believe the regional batch one for one of my County choices had a very small amount of people on it. And I am At the top of batch 2 so I expect to get placed reasonably soon. There is a lot of internal AP and PO competitions in the department in my second County choice so again I expect to get placed from either one of these panels long before the panel expires. It is as the conductor stated, some counties have movement and some don’t. This has to be factored into your choices when submitting your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bridie402

Maybe 2 or 3 weeks

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

This has to be factored into your choices when submitting your application.

This is why the current process is a farce.
    A greater importance is placed on the two locations chosen at form completion than on securing the best candidate as determined by testing and interview.
    Numerous higher placed candidates were passed over in the last competition in favour of those found to be less suitable for the role, because they did not have the "right" location choice on their application form.
    Here's an idea, create the order of merit, PAS announce where the vacancies are on a Monday e.g. Cork, Tipp., Donegal, Laois, let who wants them notify PAS by Thursday, places go to those as per the overall order of merit.
    Boom! It will always be the best candidate who receives the offer and PAS fulfill their mandate

1100010110 wrote: »
    Here's an idea, create the order of merit, PAS announce where the vacancies are on a Monday e.g. Cork, Tipp., Donegal, Laois, let who wants them notify PAS by Thursday, places go to those as per the overall order of merit.
    Boom! It will always be the best candidate who receives the offer and PAS fulfill their mandate

Good plan, at the very least candidates for the Regional panel should have more than 2 choices. As someone pointed out 2 departments are not using this panel & this important information was not available before county choices were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Randommer

No movement on the Limerick panel.

Randommer wrote: »
    No movement on the Limerick

For info if useful to anyone I have been appointed from 2nd batch south east regional

Hey all

Has anyone on Batch 3 been intereviewed yet please?

As far as I know im on Batch 4 & I am a regional candidate - no interview yet

Thanks!!
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 mickey49172

I
    Bridie402 wrote: »
    Hey all

Has anyone on Batch 3 been intereviewed yet please?

As far as I know im on Batch 4 & I am a regional candidate - no interview yet

Thanks!!
    :-)

Hi I got email today to say I’m in batch 4, regional location (mayo) what location are you? Has batch 3 been interviewed yet?

I

Hi I got email today to say I’m in batch 4, regional location (mayo) what location are you? Has batch 3 been interviewed yet?

Where is this on the original order of merit do you know?

I’m not sure, I was 1300 on original order of merit. You?
    Where is this on the original order of merit do you know?

I

Tipp/Limerick/SW

I dont know if Batch 3 has been interviewed yet

Has anyone in Batch 3 been interviewed/called for interview yet?

Thanks!!

Bridie402 wrote: »
    Has anyone in Batch 3 been interviewed/called for interview yet?

Thanks!!

Well batch 2 only finished 2 weeks ago so they will prob be starting batch 3 interviews shortly but that's a guess

Think they are sending out emails at d mo advising if next batch passed the shortlisting

• Advertisement

Well batch 2 only finished 2 weeks ago so they will prob be starting batch 3 interviews shortly but that's a guess

Think they are sending out emails at d mo advising if next batch passed the shortlisting

Perfect - Thanks for that!!

Wasnt sure if Batch 3 had started yet...

Thanks!!!

There is a guy in SW office - Regional & he is no 1 on Batch 1 and he has heard nothing.

I’m not sure, I was 1300 on original order of merit. You?

980 - means I should get a regional offer after the current batch of interviews (I hope!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry Penny. It depends on the county(ies) you have on your application. Some counties might not get any posts at all- while others, despite not being Dublin- might have a steady dribble of posts coming up and on-stream.

The bigger issue for regional candidates- is the reopening of the lateral mobility scheme- which gives a lot of people who are in Dublin first dibs on posts that come up regionally- before they are recruited to be filled regionally- which then opens up a Dublin post- which is at least partially how we're in the situation with 5-6-7 times more posts in Dublin- than in the rest of the country combined (despite a majority of the civil service not even being in Dublin).

The mobility will also see regional people move around, it is not only for Dublin out to regional, it will eventually be all zones.

The mobility percentage is yet to be agreed at HEO but won't be a simple priority for mobility over all others.

EO is to be 40% open, 30% interd (one in two of these from mobility) and 30% internal.

Still lots of chances for promotion via open, interd or (depending on dept) internals down the road can be expected. Some departments already take staff from other 'zones' so all that really changes is a fair chance for people within a zone to move departments in their town.

Does anyone know how many there is in each Batch? 50 to 100 approx??
    Thanks!!

• Advertisement

I'd have thought that there's a few hundred in a batch?

I'd have thought that there's a few hundred in a batch?

Possibly - I honestly have no clue...the 50-100 was just random numbers

Does anyone have any updates on what is happening with the latest Regional panels?
    Have the interviews been held- and new panels constituted- or is it still ongoing (for the latest batch that is, of course)?

Hi, I got an interview date for 13th sept for batch 4, regional location mayo. Did you hear anything? What batch are you?
    Does anyone have any updates on what is happening with the latest Regional panels?
    Have the interviews been held- and new panels constituted- or is it still ongoing (for the latest batch that is, of course)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Butlerscoffee

If you don't mind me asking, what number were you after the second exam? I'm just trying to figure my chances of being called for an interview. TIA

Hi what region are you in? I was around 1300 after second exam. What about you. Think they only calling people for interviews where vacancies exist!
    If you don't mind me asking, what number were you after the second exam? I'm just trying to figure my chances of being called for an interview. TIA

I was number 992 (or close to it) but picked Cork as my choice. Thanks

980....... However, keep in mind the panel is live until Oct 2019- so even if you're a couple of hundred up the pecking order- you could still be fine. Also- didn't someone say they are at over 2000 on the Dublin panel?

I guess if the interviews are still going on- in the second and third week of Sept- it'll be Oct at least- before we have fresh regional panels (for the exhausted counties anyway- of which there are definitely a few).

That's true. Fingers X'd something will come out of it. It seemd to be going on forever!

Mayo is the only county I've heard of vacancies being filled in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement