Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Addle wrote: »
    Mayo is the only county I've heard of vacancies being filled in.

Cork, Limerick, Louth, Laois, Kildare and a few others too........
    Plenty of counties have bankrupted their panels thus far (and thats the second batch of panels- never mind the first). Then there are also plenty of counties who haven't taken a single person from their respective panels..........

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

I got my offer around two and a half weeks ago. Expected start date is in about 2/3 weeks in Offaly. I was batch 2 - regional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Great to read of lots of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mickey49172

I got my offer around two and a half weeks ago. Expected start date is in about 2/3 weeks in Offaly. I was batch 2 - regional.

Congrats on offer and best of luck with new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bridie402

Hi,

Where would I find the PAS toolkit?

Does anyone know which Tab to nagivate to or even the link to it please?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

What exactly do you mean by the toolkit?
    Instruction book for candidates?
    These tend to be available at time of application and not subsequently.
    I suspect the attached is what you're looking for (if its not- if you could elaborate- it would help).

What exactly do you mean by the toolkit?
    Instruction book for candidates?
    These tend to be available at time of application and not subsequently.
    I suspect the attached is what you're looking for (if its not- if you could elaborate- it would help).

WOW - Thanks !!!! :-)

eimaj18 wrote: »
    That’s great news. Delighted for you!

I’m going to work on the toolkit alright and just have answers to every conceivable question that I can!

Where would I find this please
    Thank you!!!

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    I also got through, delighted after last year my scores are twice what they were because i practiced on face time every night for an hour and i downloaded the PAS toolkit of questions and asked myself them on the bus home.

Where would i find the Toolkit please

Thank you!!!

• Advertisement

Bridie402 wrote: »
    WOW - Thanks BOSS!!!! :-) :-)

See below previous posts on this thread....
    Refers to PAS toolkit of questions!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aoibhin84 View Post
    I also got through, delighted after last year my scores are twice what they were because i practiced on face time every night for an hour and i downloaded the PAS toolkit of questions and asked myself them on the bus home.
    That’s great news. Delighted for you!

EmJ
    I’m going to work on the toolkit alright and just have answers to every conceivable question that I can!

Sorry :(

Sorry :(

No Bother :)

Thank You!! :D

I knew (or thought I knew) that I had seen it some place on the Thread!!

Have a good day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

No Bother :)

Thank You!! :D

I knew (or thought I knew) that I had seen it some place on the Thread!!

Have a good day!!!

Search for Appendix H on PAS

1100010110 wrote: »

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gagsvonbuten

I'm slightly bemused by threads of 800 on panels and batches three and four, I am in the top 100 nationally, and in top 2 on regional panel and guess what I have heard in the months since conformation of my exalted position,....sfa, its a farce, when departments can unilaterally ignore national panels, seriously, it would appear that sign up for dublin, do your two year sentence and then hope is the only option.

It's not a surprise. It was obvious from the last competition that was going to happen.
    So frustrating for successful candidates in (some) regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marls17

I'm slightly bemused by threads of 800 on panels and batches three and four, I am in the top 100 nationally, and in top 2 on regional panel and guess what I have heard in the months since conformation of my exalted position,....sfa, its a farce, when departments can unilaterally ignore national panels, seriously, it would appear that sign up for dublin, do your two year sentence and then hope is the only option.

You're 100% right and I completely empathise with your situation. why did PAS set up panels when they knew that there would be no positions and that the internal panels expiry are later than PAS expiry. The whole things a joke.

I've written it before, but no other sector would have applicants jump through so many hoops for nothing.
    There has to be some idea of expected vacancies.
    Maybe the current EO specific Dublin competition is a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 name123

Just wondering has anyone got promoted on the clare or limerick panel?

I've written it before, but no other sector would have applicants jump through so many hoops for nothing.
    There has to be some idea of expected vacancies.
    Maybe the current EO specific Dublin competition is a sign of things to come.

... yet the Internal EO competition is not specific to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

it would appear that sign up for dublin, do your two year sentence and then hope is the only option.

Even with that you will be a long time waiting.

With mobility coming in now and going to be used a lot more you’ll be a long time longer than 2 years waiting to get out of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

1100010110 wrote: »

Can someone explain this Toolkit to me or point me in the direction of it please? I can't find Appendix H

rostalof wrote: »
    Can someone explain this Toolkit to me or point me in the direction of it please? I can't find Appendix H

I gave up searching!!
    It must be saved @ a secret location somewhere :-)
    Best of luck with the search!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stillstandin

I gave up searching!!
    It must be saved @ a secret location somewhere :-)
    Best of luck with the search!!

Is the toolkit the information hub.
    Scroll to half way down the public jobs homepage 》Information hub 》Our Recruitment Process ??
    That's what I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 pinkrunners

I used it for my interview when I went to the page I had bookmarked this came up

The Toolkit Competency Pull-Out Document is currently being updated. The new version will be available shortly. We apologise for any inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

I used it for my interview when I went to the page I had bookmarked this came up

The Toolkit Competency Pull-Out Document is currently being updated. The new version will be available shortly. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Is it the competency document?

https://www.publicjobs.ie/documents/PAS_CS_Competency_Models_2017.pdf

Sequencing/promotion
    Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the reports that are collated by DPER and issued to unions on sequencing/promotions available to union members? I've spent the last 2 weeks speaking to countless people in both Forsa and DPER and I'm none the wiser. I was initially told that-yes there are reports that are provided to unions in relation to the promotion/transfers in each Department the last report being June with another due mid September. However I've reached a brick wall in Forsa and DPER sing the same old tune "check with your Union"
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated and may save me from going insane!! TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Penny22

Marls17 wrote: »
    Sequencing/promotion
    Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the reports that are collated by DPER and issued to unions on sequencing/promotions available to union members? I've spent the last 2 weeks speaking to countless people in both Forsa and DPER and I'm none the wiser. I was initially told that-yes there are reports that are provided to unions in relation to the promotion/transfers in each Department the last report being June with another due mid September. However I've reached a brick wall in Forsa and DPER sing the same old tune "check with your Union"
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated and may save me from going insane!! TIA

I’m in the same position, cannot get any information from them. Talk about “open and transparent”.

Can you request it from your Rep rather than trying to get it yourself?

I doubt the ratio is being applied across the board. A lot of departments are just suiting themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That info must be FOI'able.

Not that it is any real use to anyone.

Can you request it from your Rep rather than trying to get it yourself?

I doubt the ratio is being applied across the board. A lot of departments are just suiting themselves.

Do you mean my local rep or rep appointed to my department?

• Advertisement

Penny22 wrote: »
    I’m in the same position, cannot get any information from them. Talk about “open and transparent”.

Honestly the stonewalling is shameless. I really don't know why PAS ran a competition for outside of Dublin because departments are doing exactly as they please and nobody seems to care???

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hellothere77

Marls17 wrote: »
    Do you mean my local rep or rep appointed to my department?

You should ask the members on your union committee in your department may take a while but they should be able request it from head union. Do u want to know how many are being pulled from diff panels or how many left on a panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 stillstandin

Depts may be adhering to the ratio criteria for the filling of posts by filling positions in Dublin from the InterD panel, thus allowing them to fill regional positions from internal panels and transfers.
    Disappointing for us on regional panels ☹

Saves a lot of training for them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

In fairness to PAS the original info booklet said

“Regional Recruitment
    It is anticipated that the majority of vacancies to be filled from this competition will be in Dublin and a small number may arise in other locations.”

I would have much prererred a regional position but that runs the risk of coming away with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Penny22

ParkRunner wrote: »
    In fairness to PAS the original info booklet said

“Regional Recruitment
    It is anticipated that the majority of vacancies to be filled from this competition will be in Dublin and a small number may arise in other locations.”

I would have much prererred a regional position but that runs the risk of coming away with nothing.

It’s not that there are no posts outside Dublin, afaik 2 depts are filling all posts from Internal Panels only.

Penny22 wrote: »
    It’s not that there are no posts outside Dublin, afaik 2 depts are filling all posts from Internal Panels only.

An overhang from the embargo I imagine. Recruitment restarted with large open/interdepartmental competitions but there have been only a few internal competitions with much smaller numbers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clarkkent1234

Does anybody know if they using the example you gave on your form in the interview or asking for a second one?

You never know, depends on panel, I've done two, one stuck strictly to my application, on the second one they wanted alternative instances, always have a (well rehearsed) other instance in your back pocket in case, but always review what you've submitted on your application before your interview,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luckymummy

Can anyone direct me to where on the public jobs website I find a list of interview questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Sorry if I annoy anyone with this, but anyone have any idea when the next Open HEO comp might be opened?

mystic86 wrote: »
    Sorry if I annoy anyone with this, but anyone have any idea when the next Open HEO comp might be opened?

I don’t believe open competitions are held for the general HEO grade. There is the occasional open competition for HEO positions with a specific skill requirement (eg ICT) but there would only be a handful of positions available.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tayto2017

I'm up for interview this week and am really nervous regarding the presentation and report writing. I have completed the familiarisation material and other material on the net, but just not sure how much or what they will be looking for. This is my first interdepartmental competition.
    Anyone any tips of what I should concentrate on please?

Tayto2017 wrote: »
    I'm up for interview this week and am really nervous regarding the presentation and report writing. I have completed the familiarisation material and other material on the net, but just not sure how much or what they will be looking for. This is my first interdepartmental competition.
    Anyone any tips of what I should concentrate on please?
    Apologies, just saw post, only advice stay calm and watch the time, decide before hand if using powerpoint or white board or just notes, there's no right way, the trick is identifying your issues in the brief and being able to convincingly present them,
    In the interview make sure you have alternative instances of the competencies and be confident about the
    detail you put in application...and of course, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33 edelweiss

Would anyone know if time spent as an acting EO (term time) counts for increments when appointed to a post as an EO. I know that there is a separate EO thread but someone on here might have been in this situation. Thanks.

• Advertisement

edelweiss wrote: »
    Would anyone know if time spent as an acting EO (term time) counts for increments when appointed to a post as an EO. I know that there is a separate EO thread but someone on here might have been in this situation. Thanks.

Only if you are promoted to the higher grade during the acting up assignment to higher grade.

For example:

You are an CO getting an Acting up allowance as an EO for a period of not less than 4 weeks and not more than 1 year. If during this period- you get a formal promotion to EO- your service in an acting up capacity counts towards increments in your new substantiate grade.

If you get EO following a period as an acting EO- but after which you were no longer in receipt of the acting up allowance (that is- for example you were getting an EO acting up allowance for term time- for example- and on the elapse of term time the fulltime EO came back and you reverted to CO grade)- in that instance- as you are no longer in receipt of an acting up allowance- your historical receipt of an acting up allowance in the EO grade- does not carry for when you are promoted to EO..........

Department of Finance Circular 38 of 2007 addresses this in a fairly straightforward manner.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 edelweiss

Only if you are promoted to the higher grade during the acting up assignment to higher grade.

For example:

You are an CO getting an Acting up allowance as an EO for a period of not less than 4 weeks and not more than 1 year. If during this period- you get a formal promotion to EO- your service in an acting up capacity counts towards increments in your new substantiate grade.

If you get EO following a period as an acting EO- but after which you were no longer in receipt of the acting up allowance (that is- for example you were getting an EO acting up allowance for term time- for example- and on the elapse of term time the fulltime EO came back and you reverted to CO grade)- in that instance- as you are no longer in receipt of an acting up allowance- your historical receipt of an acting up allowance in the EO grade- does not carry for when you are promoted to EO..........

Department of Finance Circular 38 of 2007 addresses this in a fairly straightforward manner.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for that information, The_Conductor. It's good to know it. You are a fount of knowledge and as usual very helpful which is appreciated.

Just got my results for the interview and presentation. I passed the interview and failed by two marks on one competency for the presentation. Has anyone asked for feedback? It’s annoying me as it’s communication and interpersonal skills and I usually do best in this 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MaisieMoo

I passed presentation but failed interview by 3 marks on Analysis and decision making. This is normally my strongest competency. Can't understand it. Really annoyed. How do we go about requesting feedback?

MaisieMoo wrote: »
    I passed presentation but failed interview by 3 marks on Analysis and decision making. This is normally my strongest competency. Can't understand it. Really annoyed. How do we go about requesting feedback?

I’ve emailed them to ask for feedback so going to see what the feedback says. This was my strongest competency for the interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement