Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wonderstar wrote: »
    I failed one by literally few marks but shot up in the other one compared to stage 1 results. I'm so so upset and annoyed. Always hated aptitude tests cause it really depends how you are on the day.

Sorry to hear that. That must feel like an awful kick in the pants.

I've long felt that aptitude tests are as good as useless as a way of finding suitable candidates. As you say, you can have a good day and fly through it, or a bad day, and lose out.

I didn't even get through to the 2nd round this time. Failed on the management scenario by a few points, but scored in the high 7000's in verbal & numerical. And the last time there was an interdepartmental competition, I flew through round 1, went way down in round 2, and have now been promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Aoibhin84 wrote: »
    true and some co's have management experience from managing tcos and relationships especially in small departments where everyone pitches in

Many CO's would have management experience from the private sector during a pre-CS life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niamho_M

Wonderstar wrote: »
    I failed one by literally few marks but shot up in the other one compared to stage 1 results. I'm so so upset and annoyed. Always hated aptitude tests cause it really depends how you are on the day.

Have you already received your score breakdown for the supervised tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

yep i cannot see any breakdown.... I wonder how many of the 400 are regional?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stickmam

No idea how many are regional. I presume it'll be 400 candidates who have Dublin as one of their preferred regions. Which means you could be placed lower than 400 and still get called for interview. Who knows!

Did anyone get a breakdown of their test results yet? I only got a placing.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Stickmam wrote: »
    No idea how many are regional. I presume it'll be 400 candidates who have Dublin as one of their preferred regions. Which means you could be placed lower than 400 and still get called for interview. Who knows!

Did anyone get a breakdown of their test results yet? I only got a placing.

No breakdown received here yet.

yep i cannot see any breakdown.... I wonder how many of the 400 are regional?

I didn't think any of the 400 were regional . It mentions that they are calling hte first 400 who had Dublin as a preference.

If you had Dublin as your number 2, would you be called do you think? I'm in that situation, placed high enough in the order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

If you had Dublin as your number 2, would you be called do you think? I'm in that situation, placed high enough in the order of merit.

Dublin most be your preference on your application form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

I didn't think any of the 400 were regional . It mentions that they are calling hte first 400 who had Dublin as a preference.

From what I can see it ranked everyone, but will only be calling the first 400 Dublin people. I'm regional and am in the top 400, but I wont be called until they start looking at regions next year

• Advertisement

It states in the notice that shortlisting based on the application form is what's happening next so they will be looking at everyone who got through stage 2 who has Dublin as 1st pref & selecting the top 400 from those. Regions will be looked at in the new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Breakdown has just come through. I improved on my scores in the supervised round; scoring 8,000 / 8,000 in Verbal! :eek::D (never did that well before!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bumbleton

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Breakdown has just come through. I improved on my scores in the supervised round; scoring 8,000 / 8,000 in Verbal! :eek::D (never did that well before!)

Congratulations! I scored 8000 in the verbal at the first stage, and 8000 in the numerical this time around. Wish I had done it the other way around considering that they don't count the numerical for the ranking but still delighted!

Bumbleton wrote: »
    Congratulations! I scored 8000 in the verbal at the first stage, and 8000 in the numerical this time around. Wish I had done it the other way around considering that they don't count the numerical for the ranking but still delighted!

Well done to you too! (I went up to around 7,800 on numerical).

I nu i woz smart :D:D

I'd be in the lower percentiles for the management scenarios though, but I got through anyway!

We fight another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

I scored exactly the same in verbal improved by 1436 in the numerical and dropped from 136 to 205🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Kanovara wrote: »
    It states in the notice that shortlisting based on the application form is what's happening next so they will be looking at everyone who got through stage 2 who has Dublin as 1st pref & selecting the top 400 from those. Regions will be looked at in the new year

I would imagine those with Dublin at no.2 as a preference will also be considered in the shortlisting?

I got 7998 out of 8000 in the verbal. I'm quite shocked by that result as I could have sworn I ran out of time with 5 questions to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does anybody know the real reason that the Numerical Score is not counted? I have heard it is because traditionally it was because women were not as good as maths as men. Surely that is just a myth though. Could that not be construed as sexism :):) Im also been selfish in asking cos I got 7800 out of 8000 in the maths section :)

I got 7998 out of 8000 in the verbal. I'm quite shocked by that result as I could have sworn I ran out of time with 5 questions to go.

Wow, that must put you quite high up in the order of merit. How did you do on the management scenarios in Stage 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Wonderstar

Niamho_M wrote: »
    Have you already received your score breakdown for the supervised tests?

Yep got the breakdown...presumably because I failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Wonderstar

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody know the real reason that the Numerical Score is not counted? I have heard it is because traditionally it was because women were not as good as maths as men. Surely that is just a myth though. Could that not be construed as sexism :):) Im also been selfish in asking cos I got 7800 out of 8000 in the maths section :)

Im a woman and have always scored well and very high in Maths. Verbal has always been my weak point and downfall. When I did stage 1 I did the numerical first to get me going and then did the verbal. In PAS you had to do verbal then numerical which is why I think I failed. I thought you had a choice on which one to do first. Bit annoyed at PAS the way they ran it. Thought it was very school like. For a verification you should be just brought into a room, tackle it the way you want to. Should be no need to read instructions out step by step by step like your a child...esp at HEO level!

Thats my penny's worth anyway. Guess I'll be an EO for another while longer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nedzer12

Does anyone have the numbers for the last heo depart competition?

I got 1500 this time around and I am wondering if I have any hope at all of being called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ballingarry

I would think that PAS have to read out instructions to everybody so that they try and create the same conditions as much as they can for everybody taking the tests. Having numerical first or verbal first should not effect your performance as you have practise questions to get you going. As regards the maths I would think most people who score highly would also score highly in the maths. I have never heard of anybody who finished very high up in any aptitude test saying they barely scrapped through the maths. Most people will feel that they will do well in the maths.
    Well done to everybody who passed the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paul 27

A woman beside me on the day did the numerical first, don't think the penalised her

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niamho_M

Nedzer12 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the numbers for the last heo depart competition?

I got 1500 this time around and I am wondering if I have any hope at all of being called for interview

There is a thread for last years competition, it might be worth asking them the question!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057580048&page=213

Also hard luck @Wonderstar, hopefully you will get another opportunity soon.

• Advertisement

paul 27 wrote: »
    A woman beside me on the day did the numerical first, don't think the penalised her

I don't think they do that at all. I think it's punishment enough having to do your test out of sync with everyone else (as once you have started you have to go on). I wouldn't fancy racing against the clock to answer questions with the invigilator calling out instructions for the other section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Anyone who can't follow simple instructions should not be allowed to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 alundi

Addle wrote: »

Anyone who can't follow simple instructions should not be allowed to proceed.
    In fairness it's nerve wracking , people react in diff ways . It's arrogance at management level that is a much bigger problem . I know I'd rather work for someone who understood people make mistakes than someone who is high and mighty

alundi wrote: »
    In fairness it's nerve wracking , people react in diff ways . It's arrogance at management level that is a much bigger problem . I know I'd rather work for someone who understood people make mistakes than someone who is high and mighty

Well I wouldn't want to work with someone who can't follow simple instructions.
    That doesn't make me arrogant, or high and mighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I found that on the day of the Stage 2 tests the instructions for the tests took nearly as long as the tests themselves :):)

• Advertisement

Wow, that must put you quite high up in the order of merit. How did you do on the management scenarios in Stage 1?

Not as well. Got about 4800. At the start of that part I messed up thought it better to put marks in all three options from highest to lowest. Still I came in the top 150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I got 1032. I selected Dublin as the number one option. What are the chances of being called down the line? A pity the Numerical is not taken into account as I got 7800 in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its not a big ask to follow a few instructions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Hi can anyone give me the email address they’re using in this comp please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 peachypyro

The numerical result doesn't count?
    That's the first I've heard of that, so can someone please enlighten me as to why?

It does count.
    You have to get a certain result in it.
    That result doesn't count towards your placing though.
    I always do better in numerical too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 peachypyro

Addle wrote: »
    It does count.
    You have to get a certain result in it.
    That result doesn't count towards your placing though.
    I always do better in numerical too.

I understood that, I just wasn't aware that it does not count towards the ranking.
    That's a real shame. I got 8000 in the numerical and thought I was great! Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Pandiani

eimaj18 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone give me the email address they’re using in this comp please?

heorecruitment2017@publicjobs.ie was the address on original booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Quick Question Folks

I understand they are only going to call the first 400 who had Dublin as a location for interview. What happens if someone is successful and then turns down Dublin hoping for a regional spot in the new year? Do they have to have a second interview along with the top regional applicants only? This would be unfair as they would be deemed appropriate for a Dublin job but not for Cork lets say. If they dont have to have a second interview where does their order of merit come from for their regional location? As part of first 400, would they be near top, or do they have to wait for first 400 of regional to be picked for interview and graded?

I can see plenty of problems already with this shortlisting exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GKE

dusty bin wrote: »
    Quick Question Folks

I understand they are only going to call the first 400 who had Dublin as a location for interview. What happens if someone is successful and then turns down Dublin hoping for a regional spot in the new year? Do they have to have a second interview along with the top regional applicants only? This would be unfair as they would be deemed appropriate for a Dublin job but not for Cork lets say. If they dont have to have a second interview where does their order of merit come from for their regional location? As part of first 400, would they be near top, or do they have to wait for first 400 of regional to be picked for interview and graded?

I can see plenty of problems already with this shortlisting exercise.

I emailed publicjobs basically asking what you have asked above and this was the reply i got "You are only required to attend one interview for both locations" - no real info given..

• Advertisement

GKE wrote: »
    I emailed publicjobs basically asking what you have asked above and this was the reply i got "You are only required to attend one interview for both locations" - no real info given..

Thanks a mill for your response. I am one of those within the top 400 and picked both Dublin and a regional location. I may have to reject a Dublin location if successful due to family commitments i didn't have two months ago. I know I couldn't be assigned to a regional location until all those ahead of me whom selected a regional location only have their interview. But how many are called for regionals only will have a massive bearing on any order of merit I obtain.

You'd swear I had the job and all the way I'm going about it, but its something clouding my mind at present. In an interd EO panel a couple of years back, I was told I was within top 2 of a regional location only to be knocked back a couple of times as they allowed people whom had selected and agreed to a dublin location, to change their minds.

The top 400 haven't been selected yet!
    dusty bin wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for your response. I am one of those within the top 400 and picked both Dublin and a regional location. I may have to reject a Dublin location if successful due to family commitments i didn't have two months ago. I know I couldn't be assigned to a regional location until all those ahead of me whom selected a regional location only have their interview. But how many are called for regionals only will have a massive bearing on any order of merit I obtain.

You'd swear I had the job and all the way I'm going about it, but its something clouding my mind at present. In an interd EO panel a couple of years back, I was told I was within top 2 of a regional location only to be knocked back a couple of times as they allowed people whom had selected and agreed to a dublin location, to change their minds.

The top 400 haven't been selected yet!

From Public Jobs: "The next stage, stage 3, of the selection process will comprise shortlisting and will focus on the top ranked 400 candidates who have indicated Dublin as a preference on their application form."

Therefore, if you are within the TOP 400 (Top 200 for me) and have selected Dublin as a preference (not Dublin only, Dublin as a preference) then one could deduce that I will be getting an interview, unless they have changed the rules since the email was sent last Friday.

PS, Dublin was my number 1 with a regional number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Aoibhin84

Shortlisting as in going through 400 forms before mid November to ensure they only allow eligible candidates through?

Shortlisting as in going through 400 forms before mid November to ensure they only allow eligible candidates through?
    I’m not sure of that either. It could be that or it could be going through our forms. I’ve emailed them asking the criteria so I’ll keep you posted.

Also, is it the Top 400 with Dublin as a preference or certain amount of people in the Top 400 who had Dublin as a preference, so that’s a shortlist in itself?!

They are looking at all application forms of people who got through the 2nd stage and have dublin as a preference

They are looking at all application forms of people who got through the 2nd stage and have dublin as a preference
    Do you know what criteria they’re looking at though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

PAS must be examining the application forms on predetermined criteria such as number of years and type of managerial/policy experience etc as part of the shortlisting exercise. Its just a cut the numbers approach. I wonder how many will be called through out the lifetime of the competition to interview and how many will be actually placed on panels.

It's not a transparent process.
    Hardly fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 edelweiss

The top ranked 400 candidates who have Dublin as a preference are being shortlisted, based on what they have written about their competencies. They may not call 400 for interview.

Advertisement