Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Fia11 wrote: »
    Our solicitor fees are 2.5k. We spoke to a few and they were all in and around that. This seems higher than what is quoted on here, is it because we're first time buyers? confused.com/n00b

Price can vary for number of reasons but not because your FTB. Was the property registry of deeds or land registry? Was it second house or new build? Was it a receiver sale or probate? Is it a house or apartment? Is there a mortgage? Etc All these can factor in to how easy or difficult a sale is and I would assume fees. Land registry outlays are very high. Also area is a factor. My Cork solicitor will be cheaper than a Dublin one.

As the other poster said above it’s always worth paying a bit more and being able to contact your solicitor. If you use someone on a flat fee that’s cheap, they will be really busy and won’t give you the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Fia11 wrote: »
    Our solicitor fees are 2.5k. We spoke to a few and they were all in and around that. This seems higher than what is quoted on here, is it because we're first time buyers? confused.com/n00b

We are FTBs too and paying just under 1700 (ex. VAT) and he has been excellent so far. Just because someone charges more, does not mean they are better. My advice to anyone is get recommendations, chat to a few different solicitors and go with your gut from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Price can vary for number of reasons but not because your FTB. Was the property registry of deeds or land registry? Was it second house or new build? Was it a receiver sale or probate? Is it a house or apartment? Is there a mortgage? Etc All these can factor in to how easy or difficult a sale is and I would assume fees. Land registry outlays are very high. Also area is a factor. My Cork solicitor will be cheaper than a Dublin one.

As the other poster said above it’s always worth paying a bit more and being able to contact your solicitor. If you use someone on a flat fee that’s cheap, they will be really busy and won’t give you the attention.

FTB, new build, Dublin. Don't think it's particularly complicated, but I'm new to all of this. We did get a flat fee as this solicitor has sold/worked with loads of houses in the development and they had a package, but we didn't choose them just because of that. They have been uber helpful and communicative, unlike the estate agents, who have been sending out the contracts 'tomorrow' for the last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 _Poppy_

Hi,

I'm purchasing and looking for a solicitor recommendation in the Dublin 1 or 2 area. Please PM me details if you can recommend any, TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Mine was 2,000 for selling and 2,500 for buying (ex VAT). They were really good, prompt, responsive, proactive with updates and lovely to deal with.

Got a similar quote for selling and buying a house in Cork. Close to 5K for both.
    Very surprised to see someone 1.7K all in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement