Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonecall from landlord - 20% increase

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

davindub wrote: »
    Technically it's a rent review and you can appeal now. It's hard to remove an tenant and the landlord is either bluffing or an idiot.

The more I deal with this person the more I suspect the latter is correct.

The only way they'd accept my offer was if we started paying as of next month. Again, totally illegal. We weighed it up and asked for an 18 month lease at that price which they happily agreed to, so that's what we're going with.

In answer to whether the rent is in line with other properties in the area - it's cheaper, but the place is shabby enough. We like it though, happy with the outcome somehow!

Thanks again for all the replies and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

rawn wrote: »
    I'm not confusing it with that at all, and if I'm wrong I hold my hands up and apologize! I'm going by the many, many discussions on the subject that I've seen on the legal forum here about recording people without their permission to use against them.

I stand by what I said about communicating everything in writing. Forget about the landlord "knowing he's on to him", the OP now had a paper trail of the LL trying to implement an illegal increase. This is a good thing.

I'll agree that correspondence in writing is much much better as there could be issues proving the person on the recording is indeed the landlord should the recording be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sounds like they're well behind on the legislation. Glad you worked out a solution, even though you'd be totally justified to dispute it with the RTB, it doesn't exactly breed a nice working relationship with your landlord.

Advertisement