Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who see the paranormal; mentally ill, hoaxters, or the 'placebo' effect?

• 15-08-2017 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

This is something I've been dying to ask. Unlike our American counterparts, it doesn't seem (thankfully) that we get people here who believe in the paranormal or see the paranormal in their house.

Even relatively religious people here that are Catholics and Muslims tend to stories of demonic entities, poltergeists, ghosts as people trying to look for YouTube views, people convincing themselves through the powerful human brain, or sadly people suffering from psychosis, schizophrenia.

Aren't those really the only logical ones? Science has failed to find evidence of psychic, curses, entities, other realms. It might seem absolutely, positively ignorant to claim that this is all there is, but at the same time we have to look at what unfounded beliefs do (homeopathy).

Is it time to start treating people who believe that the Ouija board has summoned granny through her tranny daughter?

Comments

I'm imagine most people who think that Granddad is trying to tell them where his good underpants are hidden through the medium of fridge magnets are either frauds, delusional, gullible, credulous, desperate, bereaved, I'm-spiritual-and-special types, fragile, or just plain old stupid.

Also, less of the tranny stuff would be nice, as would amateur diagnoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Is it time to start treating people who believe that the Ouija board has summoned granny through her tranny daughter?

yes, give them sweets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People could also be mistaken, misled or just not well educated. Look at how long it takes kids to work out Santa.

Then there's people who are intoxicated.

Imagine you are out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night with nobody around and you hear screaming. What conclusion do you come to? Banshee?
    Or, if you are in the know, a fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Victor wrote: »
    People could also be mistaken, misled or just not well educated. Look at how long it takes kids to work out Santa.

Imagine you are out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night with nobody around and you hear screaming. What conclusion do you come to? Banshee?

What about Santa :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Victor wrote: »

Badgers can also making a screeching sound when they are fighting at night. Sounds freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you say the same thing about people who believe in (a) God?

Agree with you by the way OP. I have zero belief in this either......and you can add aliens too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Can transubstantiation at mass be considered "paranormal"? Catholics witness that every week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What was the point of the tranny line at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Placebo effect?

They did do a fairly cool cover of this song

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

This is something I've been dying to ask. Unlike our American counterparts, it doesn't seem (thankfully) that we get people here who believe in the paranormal or see the paranormal in their house.

Even relatively religious people here that are Catholics and Muslims tend to stories of demonic entities, poltergeists, ghosts as people trying to look for YouTube views, people convincing themselves through the powerful human brain, or sadly people suffering from psychosis, schizophrenia.

Aren't those really the only logical ones? Science has failed to find evidence of psychic, curses, entities, other realms. It might seem absolutely, positively ignorant to claim that this is all there is, but at the same time we have to look at what unfounded beliefs do (homeopathy).

Just because you personally have never had a paranormal experience, doesn't mean that the paranormal doesn't exist. We do get people here in Ireland who have paranormal experiences, whether they want to wrestle with closed minds on the subject is another matter. Unfortunately, ghosts can't be captured and put in a specimen jar to convince unbelievers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Derek Acorah.

railer201 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, ghosts can't be captured and put in a specimen jar to convince unbelievers.

Rather convenient?

'Take my word for it, these things exist. Just don't ask for any evidence. No photos, no films, no evidence or proof at all exists. Just the word of a stranger. Oh, and if that's not good enough, you're closed-minded'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Can transubstantiation at mass be considered "paranormal"? Catholics witness that every week.

Yeah, it's called haunted bread. There was complaints about it to the broadcasting authority recently. None were held up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

The tranny line made me laugh.

I had an experience that could well be described as a paranormal.

I also had a girlfriend who was an avowed atheist but was afraid of oujia boards. I found that interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Que war between those who cannot provide evidence for/against in 3...2..1

Fwiw I like to keep an open mind

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/07/01/as-a-psychiatrist-i-diagnose-mental-illness-and-sometimes-demonic-possession/

Candie wrote: »
    I'm imagine most people who think that Granddad is trying to tell them where his good underpants are hidden through the medium of fridge magnets are either frauds, delusional, gullible, credulous, desperate, bereaved, I'm-spiritual-and-special types, fragile, or just plain old stupid.

Also, less of the tranny stuff would be nice, as would amateur diagnoses.
    Candie wrote: »
    Rather convenient?

'Take my word for it, these things exist. Just don't ask for any evidence. No photos, no films, no evidence or proof at all exists. Just the word of a stranger. Oh, and if that's not good enough, you're closed-minded'.

I don't get a sense of an open mind from your post above. Ghosts or other paranormal experiences such as poltergeist really have to be experienced first and then perhaps the discussion can begin. It's not entirely subjective either as there can be witnesses to any particular event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    I also had a girlfriend who was an avowed atheist but was afraid of oujia boards. I found that interesting.

I'm an atheist who wouldn't mess with a Ouija board either. No, I've no rational reason for it except that just because I don't believe in an all-powerful creator doesn't mean I don't believe there might be...things. It doesn't mean I believe there are either, of course, and I know that a factory-made Ouija can't have any magical power in itself. At the say time, there is a little voice inside me that would be saying "...leave it the fcuk alone...".

Stephen King summed it up best, I think, in his introduction to Night Shift, mentioning that when in bed he never leaves his feet sticking out of the covers over the edge, be cause he is terrified of the idea of his ankle being grabbed by something hiding under the bed....“The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn't real. I know that, and I also know that if I'm careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle.”

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There was an Atheist radio presenter on Newstalk or RTE1 last week. Cant remember her name, she is an out and out atheist. But completely believes in ghosts because of an encounter she had in a hotel a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

You should have a read through this thread OP.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82221659

They can't all be crazy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I ask the San same out constant thread starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Derek Acorah.

I can't help but think of this every time he is mentioned. Mary loves dick hehe

https://youtu.be/I8H_v8cM9CQ

There was an Atheist radio presenter on Newstalk or RTE1 last week. Cant remember her name, she is an out and out atheist. But completely believes in ghosts because of an encounter she had in a hotel a few years ago.

I've heard comments by some religious people along the lines of "how you not believe in god and say there might be ghosts?" Or sometimes it's aliens on other planets.

OK, the aliens analogy is just stupid, but to look at the ghost=god claim, one is some remnant of a person who really existed and apart from being a dead person who is occasionally visible, has little else by way of magical powers. On the other hand we have a supreme being who was here before everything, made everything, knows everything and can do anything, and whose only weakness seems to be a chronic cashflow problem.

I know which of those I find more far-fetched...

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I can't help but think of this every time he is mentioned. Mary loves dick hehe

https://youtu.be/I8H_v8cM9CQ

What a fraud. He didn't even get Mary's phone number.

storker wrote: »
    I'm an atheist who wouldn't mess with a Ouija board either. No, I've no rational reason for it except that just because I don't believe in an all-powerful creator doesn't mean I don't believe there might be...things. It doesn't mean I believe there are either, of course, and I know that a factory-made Ouija can't have any magical power in itself. At the say time, there is a little voice inside me that would be saying "...leave it the fcuk alone...".

Stephen King summed it up best, I think, in his introduction to Night Shift, mentioning that when in bed he never leaves his feet sticking out of the covers over the edge, be cause he is terrified of the idea of his ankle being grabbed by something hiding under the bed....“The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn't real. I know that, and I also know that if I'm careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle.”

:)

I find this attitude strange. If you deny the possibility of God, heaven, afterlife etc how can you possibly be afraid of a what is basically a board game?

My ex claimed she had a bad experience with a oujia board. I don't see how you can deny one aspect of the paranormal but accept another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

pone2012 wrote: »
    Que war between those who cannot provide evidence for/against in 3...2..1

Fwiw I like to keep an open mind

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/07/01/as-a-psychiatrist-i-diagnose-mental-illness-and-sometimes-demonic-possession/

The credentials of the author intrigued me. His lack of evidence disappointed.

I find this attitude strange. If you deny the possibility of God, heaven, afterlife etc how can you possibly be afraid of a what is basically a board game?

My ex claimed she had a bad experience with a oujia board. I don't see how you can deny one aspect of the paranormal but accept another.

I didn't say I accept it, I just said I don't think it's worth taking the chance. In any case, as I explained, a ghost going around clanking its chains requires a much smaller leap of faith than an all-wise all-knowing eternal supreme being. To me it would make a lot more sense to turn that question on its head and ask a believer, "What, you believe in an eternal all powerful god, but not a simple ghost?" To me that attitude makes a lot less sense. If someone accepts god, then surely anything supernatural is on the table.

I didn't say I accept it, I just said I don't think it's worth taking the chance. In any case, as I explained, a ghost going around clanking its chains requires a much smaller leap of faith than an all-wise all-knowing eternal supreme being. To me it would make a lot more sense to turn that question on its head and ask a believer, "What, you believe in an eternal all powerful god, but not a simple ghost?" To me that attitude makes a lot less sense. If someone accepts god, then surely anything supernatural is on the table.

I agree. But you are trying to logically explain how illogical people think.

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I agree. But you are trying to logically explain how illogical people think.

Well I guess none of us is 100% logical. If I was, I'd go and get a Ouija board and use it just to prove it's all nonsense. But I won't.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying you have to believe in God, I just find it curious that a militant atheist (my ex) could be scared of a board game :D

I'm not saying you have to believe in God, I just find it curious that a militant atheist (my ex) could be scared of a board game :D

I have a set of Tarot Cards too. :)

No, I don't believe they can foretell the future, I've just always liked the symbology. I blame the end credit sequence on Tales of the Unexpected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

These things have been recorded across all cultures for pretty much all of human existence so I think that there must be something in it. That's not to say that many so called psychics aren't charlatans or that some people's accounts could be a result of delusions,, but I don't think every experience can be written off as fraud or mental illness. There are many things that science hasn't discovered yet, I don't see the harm in keeping an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I've heard comments by some religious people along the lines of "how you not believe in god and say there might be ghosts?" Or sometimes it's aliens on other planets.

OK, the aliens analogy is just stupid, but to look at the ghost=god claim, one is some remnant of a person who really existed and apart from being a dead person who is occasionally visible, has little else by way of magical powers. On the other hand we have a supreme being who was here before everything, made everything, knows everything and can do anything, and whose only weakness seems to be a chronic cashflow problem.

I know which of those I find more far-fetched...

Great mental gymnastics here.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go play with my ouija board under a ladder and break a mirror while I'm at it. Just for the craic..

On Friday 13th, in a fairy fort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Well I guess none of us is 100% logical. If I was, I'd go and get a Ouija board and use it just to prove it's all nonsense. But I won't.

:eek: DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I would say get them a priest but seeing as you invoked the placebo effect the priest might get feisty with just another nancy boy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go play with my ouija board under a ladder and break a mirror while I'm at it. Just for the craic..

Alas poor jacksie, we knew ya well......

The credentials of the author intrigued me. His lack of evidence disappointed.

He is a professor of Clinical Psychiatry, and has had several encounters with the phenomenon

You nor I, I imagine ..have had none whatsoever, and our knowledge most likely pales in comparison..So we can assume he has a greater breath of knowledge and understanding of the phenomenon. Not to mention he risks his professional reputation speaking out about the topic

Id be inclined not to be disappointed about such matters, rather im intrigued, and impressed someones putting their neck out like that

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    These things have been recorded across all cultures for pretty much all of human existence so I think that there must be something in it. That's not to say that many so called psychics aren't charlatans or that some people's accounts could be a result of delusions,, but I don't think every experience can be written off as fraud or mental illness. There are many things that science hasn't discovered yet, I don't see the harm in keeping an open mind.

No no no, don't you understand how wrong you are?

Clearly they invented it all...it was all fabricated :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He is a professor of Clinical Psychiatry, and has had several encounters with the phenomenon

You nor I, I imagine ..have had none whatsoever, and our knowledge most likely pales in comparison..So we can assume he has a greater breath of knowledge and understanding of the phenomenon. Not to mention he risks his professional reputation speaking out about the topic

Id be inclined not to be disappointed about such matters, rather im intrigued, and impressed someones putting their neck out like that

Meh. It would be easy for him to prove and collect his Nobel prize if all was true.

Meh. It would be easy for him to prove and collect his Nobel prize if all was true.

Yes because explaining nonphysical phenomena is that easy isnt it?

Look at Dark Matter/Dark Energy....Makes up approximately 95% of the universe and yet we know next to nothing about it, only we can view the effect it has on physical phenomena

If Demonic possession is a nonphysical occurrence, which is what it is traditionally explained to be..and we can only view the physical observable effects (Spouting out Latin for one), how is it written off as nonsense?

Im just curious is all, Im not itching for a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would you say the same thing about people who believe in (a) God?

Agree with you by the way OP. I have zero belief in this either......and you can add aliens too.

Zero belief in the whole aliens are here thing or that they actually exist?

If people don't believe life exists elsewhere in the Universe they need looking at.
    The Universe is so massive that the chances that we are the only life amongst the hundreds of trillions of possible planets out there is about as close to zero as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

My friend has been having paranoid delusions, he thinks he's a Chocolate Orange and he's worried he's going to be sectioned.

Poor Terry

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Yes because explaining nonphysical phenomena is that easy isnt it?

Look at Dark Matter/Dark Energy....Makes up approximately 95% of the universe and yet we know next to nothing about it, only we can view the effect it has on physical phenomena

If Demonic possession is a nonphysical occurrence, which is what it is traditionally explained to be..and we can only view the physical observable effects (Spouting out Latin for one), how is it written off as nonsense?

Im just curious is all, Im not itching for a debate

It is the physical observable facts that I doubt. Prove them. Then we can talk about what causes them. I wouldn't jump at demonic possession straight away.

I posted this in another forum some time back - it was featured in a Discovery Channel programme some years back.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12118487.Former_pilot_tells_of_ghostly_meeting_with_dead_colleague/

A FORMER fighter pilot claims he spoke to the ghost of a colleague at Glasgow Airport.
    Quote:
    Captain Bob Hambleton-Jones said yesterday that he had no idea that Robert Macleod, a friend and fellow pilot with Loganair, had died in an Edinburgh hospital four days earlier.

The two men had known each other for nine years and Captain Hambleton-Jones, who lives in Paisley, said: ``I'm not some kind of crank. I know who I saw and who I spoke to.

``He came up to me and said, `How's it going, you old bastard?' It was great to see him. We chatted for a couple of minutes and then he said, `I must go now.'

``I picked up my bags and turned around but he wasn't there. He was gone.''

It was the following day, last June 16, before a friend drew his attention to Mr Macleod's obituary in a newspaper, which confirmed he had died in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary on June 11.

Captain Hambleton-Jones, who has recently retired from flying, said: ``I was stunned. I thought it must be a mistake or a sick joke.''

Psychic research experts who investigated the claim say Captain Hambleton-Jones has had a paranormal experience which they call ``a post-mortem apparition''.

Captain Hambleton-Jones, who insists that he is ``an agnostic, a real Doubting Thomas, and the original sceptic'', contacted Professor Archie Roy of Glasgow University. He is a professor of Mathematics and Astronomy and is Scottish Head of Psychic Research.

Captain Hambleton-Jones, said: ``I told Professor Roy what had happened. He said that perhaps I had seen an actor or a lookalike.

``But Robert and I were captains in the same fleet for nine years and I know I spoke to him four days after he died.''

Ms Tricia Robertson, of the Scottish Society for Psychical Research, said: ``A post-mortem apparition happens when someone dies unexpectedly. His spirit is going about as normal because he doesn't believe he is dead.

``Such events are not that unusual. They happen more often than you would think.''

Mr Macleod, the son of retired Stornoway electrical contractor N D Macleod, died suddenly after a liver biopsy.

Management at Glasgow Airport are concerned that news of the ghostly encounter may scare off passengers. Airport managers and the British Airports Authority refused to discuss it - and did not want the airport named.

Captain Hambleton-Jones's experience will be featured in a 13-part Discovery Channel TV television documentary on the paranormal which the makers claim will be a sensible treatment of the subject.

It is the physical observable facts that I doubt. Prove them. Then we can talk about what causes them. I wouldn't jump at demonic possession straight away.
    Assaults upon individuals are classified either as “demonic possessions” or as the slightly more common but less intense attacks usually called “oppressions.” A possessed individual may suddenly, in a type of trance, voice statements of astonishing venom and contempt for religion, while understanding and speaking various foreign languages previously unknown to them. The subject might also exhibit enormous strength or even the extraordinarily rare phenomenon of levitation. (I have not witnessed a levitation myself, but half a dozen people I work with vow that they’ve seen it in the course of their exorcisms.) He or she might demonstrate “hidden knowledge” of all sorts of things — like how a stranger’s loved ones died, what secret sins she has committed, even where people are at a given moment. These are skills that cannot be explained except by special psychic or preternatural ability.

I have personally encountered these rationally inexplicable features, along with other paranormal phenomena. My vantage is unusual: As a consulting doctor, I think I have seen more cases of possession than any other physician in the world.

Most of the people I evaluate in this role suffer from the more prosaic problems of a medical disorder. Anyone even faintly familiar with mental illnesses knows that individuals who think they are being attacked by malign spirits are generally experiencing nothing of the sort. Practitioners see psychotic patients all the time who claim to see or hear demons; histrionic or highly suggestible individuals, such as those suffering from dissociative identity syndromes; and patients with personality disorders who are prone to misinterpret destructive feelings, in what exorcists sometimes call a “pseudo-possession,” via the defense mechanism of an externalizing projection. But what am I supposed to make of patients who unexpectedly start speaking perfect Latin?

I approach each situation with an initial skepticism. I technically do not make my own “diagnosis” of possession but inform the clergy that the symptoms in question have no conceivable medical cause.

I am aware of the way many psychiatrists view this sort of work. While the American Psychiatric Association has no official opinion on these affairs, the field (like society at large) is full of unpersuadable skeptics and occasionally doctrinaire materialists who are often oddly vitriolic in their opposition to all things spiritual. My job is to assist people seeking help, not to convince doctors who are not subject to suasion. Yet I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of psychiatrists and other mental health practitioners nowadays who are open to entertaining such hypotheses. Many believe exactly what I do, though they may be reluctant to speak out.

Ive bolded what i feel are some highlights of the article Gerry

Of what exactly do you need proof of? this superhuman strength? the spontaneous latin, or other languages? the hidden knowledge? even the levitation which the author claims to have not personally witnessed

If you were shown videos of the above phenomena, perhaps you might write it off as staged or fake?? So wh

So how exactly do you suggest it should be proven?

Ive bolded what i feel are some highlights of the article Gerry

Of what exactly do you need proof of? this superhuman strength? the spontaneous latin, or other languages? the hidden knowledge? even the levitation which the author claims to have not personally witnessed

If you were shown videos of the above phenomena, perhaps you might write it off as staged or fake?? So wh

So how exactly do you suggest it should be proven?

Yep exactly proof of any of those things. A video is not proof. A video of an experiment could be though. Bring in peers to remove doubt of staging etc. Basically do what is normally done in scientific research. Sound experimental design, robust evidence collection, repeatability. All simple stuff that would be done if the paranormal was true.

Ps - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

One of Niels Bohr's colleagues was visiting him and noticed a horseshoe over the door of his home. Bohr's colleague asked him if he (the great quantum physicist) really believed the horseshoe brought him luck and Bohr replied:

"Of course not, but I am told it works even if you don't believe in it."

Yep exactly proof of any of those things. A video is not proof. A video of an experiment could be though. Bring in peers to remove doubt of staging etc. Basically do what is normally done in scientific research. Sound experimental design, robust evidence collection, repeatability. All simple stuff that would be done if the paranormal was true.

The last time I seen peers observe supernatural phenomena was of John Chang aka Dynamo Jack who was a master of Neigong (Neikung)

There was various things performed under controlled settings...none of which said peers could explain

https://youtu.be/TdYM0vNufwc

Of course, I did see skeptics try to debunk the video... Despite the fact scientists were present and tested said man..so I'll take the testament of said individuals plus the testament of his then students over armchair analysts any day

The fact is skeptics are rarely convinced... The usual mantra I hear is.. If science can't explain it, it isn't real...it's not an exclusive stance..but it's a very prominent one that permeates the majority of the western world

• Advertisement
Advertisement