Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Southern Greenway

• 15-08-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Was planning on heading down to Rathkeale with family and bikes and heading off on it for a bit.

Anyone on it recently, is it open?
    I saw Roadbridge were doing upgrade works and was wondering if it was closed as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Was planning on heading down to Rathkeale with family and bikes and heading off on it for a bit.

Anyone on it recently, is it open?
    I saw Roadbridge were doing upgrade works and was wondering if it was closed as a result.

It's open. I run on it often, They have been doing quite a bit of work on it and have upgraded a lot of the places where you previously would have had to get off the bike. Still a few of those junctions left but not many. Nice and quiet for a family cycle I'd imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just back from a run along it so its definitely opened. Such a great amenity and was packed with people this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Can you tell me where it starts and finishes now.. was on it a few years ago and went from Rathkeale to NCW.. might be able to use it tomorrow.
    Is it suitable for a road bike?
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Can you tell me where it starts and finishes now.. was on it a few years ago and went from Rathkeale to NCW.. might be able to use it tomorrow.
    Is it suitable for a road bike?
    Marty.

it's fairly easy find the start of the trail in Rathkeale, once you take the correct exit off the N21. Once you do that the Palatine Museum is signposted at the roundabout (straight on). Its the old train station so you'll recognise it. There is parking available which is very safe as far as I know. The trail goes down about half a mile and turns right under a bridge. It's about 7 miles to NCW from here, reasonably flat.

I'd say you should be ok on a road bike (if by road bike you mean racer). I haven't seen anyone on it on a road bike. The gravel is quite small so won't pinch your tyres but you're probably more at risk of thorns.

I do prefer the other part of the trail that goes from NCW to Abbeyfeale. There is even a section off the main trail that has one of the old railway tunnels still intact. The views from the top of Barnagh on a good day are second to none. It is a little bit of a climb but nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

JohnDozer wrote: »
    it's fairly easy find the start of the trail in Rathkeale, once you take the correct exit off the N21. Once you do that the Palatine Museum is signposted at the roundabout (straight on). Its the old train station so you'll recognise it. There is parking available which is very safe as far as I know. The trail goes down about half a mile and turns right under a bridge. It's about 7 miles to NCW from here, reasonably flat.

I'd say you should be ok on a road bike (if by road bike you mean racer). I haven't seen anyone on it on a road bike. The gravel is quite small so won't pinch your tyres but you're probably more at risk of thorns.

I do prefer the other part of the trail that goes from NCW to Abbeyfeale. There is even a section off the main trail that has one of the old railway tunnels still intact. The views from the top of Barnagh on a good day are second to none. It is a little bit of a climb but nothing serious.

Cheers for that!
    Should have mentioned I'll be coming from Kerry side, where's the earliest I could join the trail?
    Marty.

• Advertisement

You can join up with it around Abbeyfeale. I don't know exactly where as I'm not too familiar with the area, but this should help! http://southerntrail.net/maps/walking%20ireland%206.8.13.pdf

If you come as far as Templeglantine and park at the Community Centre (white building with an Irish name) on the left, head down that road about 400m and there are entrances to the trail there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I've done rathkeale to abbeyfeale and really wouldn't recommend a road bike for a trail. There is lots of gravel/stones and the path can be very uneven throughout. I would only do on a mountainbike or bike with thickish tyres as you will probably get a puncture otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

JohnDozer wrote: »
    You can join up with it around Abbeyfeale. I don't know exactly where as I'm not too familiar with the area, but this should help! http://southerntrail.net/maps/walking%20ireland%206.8.13.pdf

If you come as far as Templeglantine and park at the Community Centre (white building with an Irish name) on the left, head down that road about 400m and there are entrances to the trail there.

Halla Inse Ban is the name on the building, and I think its a bit of a climb to get to the trail from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheers for that!
    Should have mentioned I'll be coming from Kerry side, where's the earliest I could join the trail?
    Marty.

Drive in past the Railway Bar here for the car park in Abbeyfeale https://goo.gl/maps/5V7GgFvWNbu

The trail actually starts a few km further west at the Limerick-Kerry border, but there's no access from the road, Abbeyfeale old station is your best bet.

Advertisement