Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought the wrong gun

Options
  • 15-08-2017 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Have any of you realised after only a few trips to the range that you'd bought the wrong gun?

What did you do? Did you mod to get it better? Or trade in for something more suitable?

I recently bought a Remington 700 VLSF (Varmint Light Stainless Fluted) in .223. It was a bit of an impulse buy, as I thought I just wanted something to shoot while my 308 was cooling down. However, I don't really like it.

- Trigger is too heavy and not really adjustable
    - Barrel is too light for me. It heats up very quickly.
    - Barrel is a 12" twist.
    - Blind magazine. Very fiddly to load/unload.

The stock is really the only bit I like about it.

Marry Purchase in haste, repent at leisure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Have a chat with the firearms dealer as soon as possible...if it's still like new without a mark (s)he may arrange an exchange/swap.

THe problem is with the VAT...if it's gone through the books and accounted for then you may lose that amount.

Have you any other gun in mind (or other gear) that you'd be willing to swap it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

J.R. wrote: »
    Have you any other gun in mind (or other gear) that you'd be willing to swap it with?

Nothing specific. I was just musing to myself whether to mod this, or go looking for something more suitable. A Tikka T3 with a heavy barrel would be ideal.

The annoying thing is, I *had* a T3. But traded it in for my 308. I'm an idiot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

You could mod it but for everything you want to change it could cost close to another rifle. Would you prefer a modded 700 or a stock tikka?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

alanmc wrote: »
    Have any of you realised after only a few trips to the range that you'd bought the wrong gun?
    Twice.
    What did you do? Did you mod to get it better? Or trade in for something more suitable?

One i sold and the second i kept and after some time i loved it. Still fiddly, as you put it, put i got used to it and the performance/accuracy made up for the fiddly bits (it was also a blind mag).
    - Trigger is too heavy and not really adjustable
    You know it can be adjusted, but it'll void any warranty so don't touch it unless you are keeping.
    - Barrel is too light for me. It heats up very quickly.
    A problem with all light varmint rifles.
    - Barrel is a 12" twist.
    I don't think this to be a problem. In fact for the majority of ammo choices its the better option.
    - Blind magazine. Very fiddly to load/unload.
    One of my current 308s is the same and like that it can be a pain in the ass, at first, but on the range i fire single feed and when hunting it holds one inf the chamber and four in the mag well. So plenty of options like a mag fed rifle. Unloading is a a PITA, but again if i'm unloading i'm finished so it's not a case of having to do it all the time.

You could try a swap or trade back into a dealer, but the money loss would be too much for such a new gun and if you give it time you might find you like it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

alanmc wrote: »
    Nothing specific. I was just musing to myself whether to mod this, or go looking for something more suitable. A Tikka T3 with a heavy barrel would be ideal.

Its not a T3 you need its a Sako 75, check the for sale section lol
    243 &.223

Selling on behalf of a relative,
    Sako 75 Heavy Barrel in .243, twist 1:10, with IOR Valdada 10x56T scope MP8 Ret. and Optilock mounts ,light use. Comes with soft gun cover.
    €1500 fixed price.

Sako 75 Heavy barrel in .223, twist 1:8, with Sightron S111 SS 6X24X50 scope Mil dot Ret. and Optilock mounts, 1000 rds fired. Comes with soft gun cover.
    €1500 fixed price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

A properly modded rifle will out shoot 99% of factors guns. The remaining 700 platform is an easy one to build on to most people's tastes

Mod it I say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    A properly modded rifle will out shoot 99% of factors guns. The remaining 700 platform is an easy one to build on to most people's tastes

Mod it I say

I never quite got used to my M17S. Modding it would have been too much cost and hassle to get it where I wanted it. It would have been an interesting collectors piece nonetheless, but I decided I would take the money and buy a better rifle instead, so I sold it on consignment. Was a good deposit on the SIG rifle I got

Advertisement