Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring to a viewing?

Options
  • 15-08-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but should I bring a copy of my bank statement and my work contract to a viewing? For one of the viewings I have coming up, the landlady asked me to send a copy of my work contract by email. Is that normal before even having the viewing and is there any reason why I shouldn't send this? Are there any safety reasons I shouldn't give them a copy of the bank statement either? Paranoid maybe but want to check.

Thanks for any advice, fairly new to the renting thing.

Comments

It's up to you want information you want to share with them; you're not obliged to provide either bank statements or work contracts. However, with the level of competition in the rental market today you can be almost certain you won't get the place if you don't provide every document asked of you, because someone else will!

If you really like the place consider if it's worth it. I provided a bank statement and payslip when viewing my apartment because as a student I knew I was already at a disadvantage trying to find a place to rent so wanted to ensure I convinced the landlord about my ability to pay the rent. You can always redact any sensitive information on it that you'd rather keep private. Otherwise there's very little risk sharing this info imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

That's exactly what I'm thinking, it's so competitive out there! I have a work reference, a bank statement, last month's payslip and the first page of my contract (the rest is just crap they won't bother reading I reckon). I guess if I'm serious about the place I'll give them a copy of each of those.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't give them a copy of your bank statement or payslip.

Really, it's absolutely none of their business what you earn, but if you feel you absolutely have to then just show it to them, but don't give them a copy they can take home. You have no idea what they'll do with it.

If you do show it, make sure to redact it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Check with your employer if they will provide you with a work reference. Your contract is a document between you and your employer and is not for public consumption without the permission of your employer.

Bring prior landlord references.

I personally would not bring bank statements or pay slips. They have no formal basis to request that data and I would not share it with them. However, I understand that you may feel it's necessary in today's market, so go ahead and do so if you're comfortable.

Bring all documents with you to the viewing in a neat folder or envelope. Look smart and prepared and you'll be off to a good start.

dudara wrote: »
    Check with your employer if they will provide you with a work reference. Your contract is a document between you and your employer and is not for public consumption without the permission of your employer.

Bring prior landlord references.

I personally would not bring bank statements or pay slips. They have no formal basis to request that data and I would not share it with them. However, I understand that you may feel it's necessary in today's market, so go ahead and do so if you're comfortable.

Bring all documents with you to the viewing in a neat folder or envelope. Look smart and prepared and you'll be off to a good start.
    +1 definitely bring everything printed out and nicely presented in a folder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You need to bring a framed picture of you with the pope, and a jar full of your tears.

Joking.

Just be careful about scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

3 Months rent, the more the better. I know of a few people that have secured property by offering to pay rent on a yearly basis.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GarIT wrote: »
    3 Months rent, the more the better. I know of a few people that have secured property by offering to pay rent on a yearly basis.

I wouldn't do this either, way too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

GarIT wrote: »

Yearly basis? I'm guessing this is a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lia_lia wrote: »

Nope, landlords love it, properties in some areas such as D1 and D2 are extremely hard to secure. It doesn't put you in a great position but if you have the money it's an easy way to secure a property when there could be 20+ people looking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lia_lia wrote: »

No - I know somebody who did this recently to secure a house in Greystones! Not uncommon apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Duncanwooly

Personally, I wouldn't want to hand a copy of my contract or bank statement over. When I moved in here, the letting agent asked for a copy of my bank statement "To see the iban for the DD". I gave a copy with almost all detailed redacted except the IBAN, my address and my previous rent payment going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Personally I wouldn't hand over such info as Work Contract or Bank Statement. But I am not in the rental market.

Advertisement