Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University lied about fees.

Options
  • 15-08-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Im currently registering for a 1 year postgrad. The college website states the fees for the course are 5,500 + 100 levy and I was told in my interview that fees were 5,500. I already paid 200 euro deposit which was to come out of the 5,500. This should mean I now have to pay 5.400.

On the online registration page it now says the fees are €5938 meaning with the added deposit the fees total 6,000. I was never informed the fees were this price.
    I dont have that extra money. Is this the university chancing their arm? What can I do? 500 euro is a huge amount for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

There's always a disclaimer on fees advertised on their websites . I would definitely query it with them tomorrow , if you are stuck they may allow you to pay it in instalments or per semester. Wanted to do a course myself this year but even part time course fees have risen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I remember something similar in Ucd , it took a while for them to take the deposit off the overall cost, they did eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Is the amount quoted definitely the balance? Or is it the cost total? What I mean is, perhaps they didn't factor in your deposit paid, so the amount quoted should be minus 200.

Are you sure the levy is 100? And when you say the website quotes the fees, are they the current fees? Is it a pdf that's updated or is it a web page that may not have been updated since 2014 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

It says fees are 5,500 Fee Excludes Student Levy (€100) for 2016/17

But they told me in the interview that fees were 5,500

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thats last years fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

That's last year.

Yeah but shouldnt they inform students if fees go up? I would have accepted my place somewhere else if I had known.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Speak with the fees department and see if you can pay the remainder in installments. If you were intending on paying the 5500 up front they are even more likely to allow this.

If this is the course you really want to do, I wouldn't let the extra tenner a week put you off.

I don't think the Uni are chancing their arm as the fee you quoted was 16/17 academic term, however if you have written confirmation from them that it would be that price for 17/18 I'd see if they could do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Contact them and explain your situation, they may agree to waiver. Be polite but explain the additional cost would have factored in your decision to accept the course .

• Advertisement
Advertisement