Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Killarney for perch??

Options
  • 15-08-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone have any good spots for a bit of lure fishing in Killarney for perch?? I know Leane holds a good stock but any areas specifically that are good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Hey all,

Anyone have any good spots for a bit of lure fishing in Killarney for perch?? I know Leane holds a good stock but any areas specifically that are good?

I seen lots of perch caught at the shore at Ross castle, the town side of the stream. A pair of waders will be handy as it's shallow enough there

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I seen lots of perch caught at the shore at Ross castle, the town side of the stream. A pair of waders will be handy as it's shallow enough there

Was thinking that might be a good spot, do you think the boat house across from the castle would be worth a cast? also is there any perch in the gap of dunloe???

Was thinking that might be a good spot, do you think the boat house across from the castle would be worth a cast? also is there any perch in the gap of dunloe???

I'll send you a PM in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What type of fish could be caught in the gap of Dunloe? I'm down that way the weekend and may bring the rods now 😉

What type of fish could be caught in the gap of Dunloe? I'm down that way the weekend and may bring the rods now 😉

Great spot for wild brownies! They are quite small in general but fairly plentiful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You can fish the upper lake of the Killarney lakes from the bank a few minutes past torc waterfall. Lovely spot and can produce a nice trout or two. But as dazza said, any of the lakes there have a good stock of wild brownies.

Also on the gap is one of the fisheries board's stocked lakes. Barafinny. It's in a spectacular location and only 15 for the day.

Thanks for that SeaFields.

So I went to Killarney today and amidst the masses of tourists I managed to catch a perch on a jig head. Big thanks to pheasant tail for the help. I'll attach a pic below.

PS: caught the fish under a moored boat amongst weeds and dead leaves hence all of the debris on the fish!

Forgot the pic!!

Went over yesterday morning and the place was alive with them!! They were even taking flys from the surface so was easy to target them!! Had 6 on a variety of lures with the biggest being 1lb2oz left at 8:45am just as tourists were arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Went over yesterday morning and the place was alive with them!! They were even taking flys from the surface so was easy to target them!! Had 6 on a variety of lures with the biggest being 1lb2oz left at 8:45am just as tourists were arriving.

Great sized perch

Autochange wrote: »
    Great sized perch

Thanks was delighted with it! Thought I snagged up in weed so reeled in fast but when it came to surface it realised it was hooked and gave a great fight! Only negative was that I left phone in the car to take pics

Come up the Shannon if you want perch. Its full of them. Not very big though but you will catch dozens easily enough on spinner, worm or maggot

Come up the Shannon if you want perch. Its full of them. Not very big though but you will catch dozens easily enough on spinner, worm or maggot

Must do a bit up there over the winter. Mostly a game fisherman but looking to branch out a bit!

Must do a bit up there over the winter. Mostly a game fisherman but looking to branch out a bit!

Sheelin. Best of both worlds. Huge shoals of proper big perch

Autochange wrote:

Where abouts on the Shannon? I gave about 5 hours spinning around o briens bridge area below Lough derg. Not even a bit of weed did I catch

Where abouts on the Shannon? I gave about 5 hours spinning around o briens bridge area below Lough derg. Not even a bit of weed did I catch

Get your self up to Shannon Bridge and Banagher on the Galway border. Talk to some locals about the smaller rivers coming into the Shannon. Plenty of pike around also

I went through these towns a few years ago on a cruiser hire

Was fishing Saturday morning in Killarney and met a park ranger. He asked me what I was doing etc which was fine. He then proceeded to tell me that npws officers and fisheries officers were called 2 months ago when family's of polish people were worm fishing for perch and had buckets full of dead perch ranging in sizes starting at a few inches. When they tried to write them citations they immediately forgot how to speak English! He said there was at least 20 rods in the water!!

Is it only me or does this make everything else as p****d off as I am?? Have they never heard of Catch and release???

Was fishing Saturday morning in Killarney and met a park ranger. He asked me what I was doing etc which was fine. He then proceeded to tell me that npws officers and fisheries officers were called 2 months ago when family's of polish people were worm fishing for perch and had buckets full of dead perch ranging in sizes starting at a few inches. When they tried to write them citations they immediately forgot how to speak English! He said there was at least 20 rods in the water!!

Is it only me or does this make everything else as p****d off as I am?? Have they never heard of Catch and release???

Its happening everywhere. Iv seen it myself and posted here about it. Mods gave me a temp ban.

Its happening everywhere. Iv seen it myself and posted here about it. Mods gave me a temp ban.

I had heard stories but never really from a reliable source. Absolutely crazy stuff!! I hope the citations handed out were substantial and that they are banned from ever owning fishing equipment again in this country!!

• Advertisement

I had heard stories but never really from a reliable source. Absolutely crazy stuff!! I hope the citations handed out were substantial and that they are banned from ever owning fishing equipment again in this country!!

nothing was done rearding the incidents I heard of and witnessed myself. Its going on everywhere.

Yep. Going on my local lake too. Fishing gone really slow lately. Cant blame the foreigners tho because that'd be racist, even though 80% of the fisherman are eastern European...

Advertisement