Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment without pyrite free certificate

Options
  • 15-08-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I just viewed an apartment that everything is great to me until the point that the negotiator told me that the owner do not have an pyrite free certificate as the apartment is in Clongriffin next to the dart station..Overall I don't see any cracks or anything on the wall...Do you think I should be worried about this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plenty of pyrite down that way. You definitely need to investigate further. There's a square down there I've done a lot of work in around 5 years ago. Every house was being redone because of pyrite.
    If you still go for the house don't use a surveyor. Use a structural engineer instead. I'm sure you are getting the house cheaper because it's a known pyrite area but likewise it might effect the resale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

How long ago was the apartment block built? We have a 13 year old house that has only recently started showing signs of pyrite.

First thing to look for with pyrite is actually all the pieces of plaster covering the screw heads in the ceiling to pop out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In order to get a pyrite free Cert, the home owner has to carry out destructive tests on the full material under the concrete floor slab.

This can cost 4K. If there's no sign of pyrite then I can't see any vendor paying for these tests, I know I wouldn't either.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Plenty of pyrite down that way. You definitely need to investigate further. There's a square down there I've done a lot of work in around 5 years ago. Every house was being redone because of pyrite.
    If you still go for the house don't use a surveyor. Use a structural engineer instead. I'm sure you are getting the house cheaper because it's a known pyrite area but likewise it might effect the resale price.

It's not the area that has pyrite, it's the stone fill material under the floor slab that the builder placed there. You could in theory have one house with pyrite and the adjoining house be completely free.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Pyrite damages are visible earlier, not 12 years after construction.

If a house has been built 12 years ago and hasn't had problems so far, it is pyrite free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kceire wrote:
    It's not the area that has pyrite, it's the stone fill material under the floor slab that the builder placed there. You could in theory have one house with pyrite and the adjoining house be completely free.

I get that. I was pointing out that this is a pyrite hot-spot and that most of the original houses have pyrite problems. The mix for the foundation is the same in most of the houses. This estate is very like estates in Lusk, more with pyrite than without

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I get that. I was pointing out that this is a pyrite hot-spot and that most of the original houses have pyrite problems. The mix for the foundation is the same in most of the houses. This estate is very like estates in Lusk, more with pyrite than without

Again, the foundation is irrelevant but I get your point.
    Every ground bearing concrete slab poured during the boom has the potential to have pyrite I agree.

I've been involved in sites where different blocks got different fill material and thus pyrite may have been a problem in 4 out of 16 houses (or their similar ratio).

My point is though, you won't get this holy grail cert unless the home owner cores through the slab and takes a sample of the material underneath and send it off for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

vmb wrote: »
    Pyrite damages are visible earlier, not 12 years after construction.

If a house has been built 12 years ago and hasn't had problems so far, it is pyrite free.

I'm afraid you're wrong. We're in Lusk, and there are a significant number of houses that are 14 years old, and have only recently started showing symptoms of pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Do a pyrite test. Get a core done and sample taken. Do not take the risk. It will be less than 4k. Test in UK cost £400. Coding and taking sample should be done in room with least intrusion cost for reflooring. Potentially could all be done for less than 1k

eoinzy2000 wrote: »
    Do a pyrite test. Get a core done and sample taken. Do not take the risk. It will be less than 4k. Test in UK cost £400. Coding and taking sample should be done in room with least intrusion cost for reflooring. Potentially could all be done for less than 1k

OP cannot do this as they don't own the apartment.
    If the vendor agrees to let the OP do it, then they also have to agree to make good all finishes if they don't buy the unit.

I can guarantee it will cost multiples of what you have quoted here in Ireland.
    The Engineer has to survey and prepare a report on the visual signs (if any) and if required, then at least 4 samples has to be taking through the floor slab and into the fill material underneath.

What if the OP is looking at an apartment above ground floor level, do you think the ground floor apartment owner will let them carry out these destructive tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

kceire wrote: »
    OP cannot do this as they don't own the apartment.
    If the vendor agrees to let the OP do it, then they also have to agree to make good all finishes if they don't buy the unit.
    Absolutely. That is what I was saying. You could be spending a few grand to save a world of pain. Vendor might not permit this, in which case I would walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not absolutely. The pyrite needs to come into contact with water to be a problem. This might happen years down the line when there is other construction, changes in ground levels, leaky pipes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

seagull wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're wrong. We're in Lusk, and there are a significant number of houses that are 14 years old, and have only recently started showing symptoms of pyrite.

Ouch!

I thought I was pyrite free and now will need to keep an eye on all my walls :mad:

Ouch!

I thought I was pyrite free and now will need to keep an eye on all my walls :mad:

Ireland was one of the few countries where the effects of pyrite materialized quicker than in other countries. Canada I believe still see the effects of pyrite 15 years after construction.

Advertisement